Inmotion V5F+ review

fearedbliss

Well from 20 to 30% I did not feel any difference in tilt back. I made some accelerations and brake tests from high speed to zero. The wheel still responds as usual, feels nice and save! Back and forth is no problem with a battery level of 20%. I did not expect that!

I drove with a friend of mine, his Ninebot E+ started to decrease maximum speed at 15km mileage. I brought him back home and continued wheeling for one more hour/20km. Came back home with a big smile in my face. And the Battery was still not dead. What a difference!

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did already anybody drive the V5 in the rain? In germany it´s raining since days now without a break. Well I am getting nervous with my milage hanging around at 155km... What about the sealing of the V5? 3 days left for till my trip to sardinia - I don´t want to risk the health of my wheel by driving it in exessive rain so close to my holidays!

But there are some Ingress portals which I should fill up with XM :P Still need some portal keys for remote maintenance...

5 minutes ago, Fahrtwind said:

Did already anybody drive the V5 in the rain? In germany it´s raining since days now without a break. Well I am getting nervous with my milage hanging around at 155km... What about the sealing of the V5? 3 days left for till my trip to sardinia - I don´t want to risk the health of my wheel by driving it in exessive rain so close to my holidays!

Well IM wheels are classed at IP55 (Protected from low pressure water jets from any direction, limited ingress protection) so unless you'll drive it through the deep large puddles or river ford you shall be OK. Though I'd probably try to make some "rain coat" for it from some sturdy clear soft plastic (like the one used on covers for baby prams). Get the larger sheet(s) of it, cut to size and heat-join the edges to create slip-over sleeve. You'll still have some water sprinkle coming up the casing from the spinning tire but that's low pressure and most of the falling rain water will get deflected by the cover. 

12 minutes ago, Fahrtwind said:

Did already anybody drive the V5 in the rain?

IP55, (protected against dust and low pressurewater jest from any direction - limited ingress possible) suggests rain should be OK but not deep puddles. When I reviewed my test ride of the V5F+, the one thing that occurred to me after I wrote it was the touch on/off switch. How well that does not see water on it as it being touched would be my main concern. Hopefully it either has no effect or the firmware will not shut down if the wheel is actually moving?

2 minutes ago, HEC said:

Well IM wheels are classed at IP55 (Protected from low pressure water jets from any direction, limited ingress protection) so unless you'll drive it through the deep large puddles or river ford you shall be OK. Though I'd probably try to make some "rain coat" for it from some sturdy clear soft plastic (like the one used on covers for baby prams). Get the larger sheet(s) of it, cut to size and heat-join the edges to create slip-over sleeve. You'll still have some water sprinkle coming up the casing from the spinning tire but that's low pressure and most of the falling rain water will get deflected by the cover. 

HEC, the water thrown to the inner casing by the spinning tire is my biggest worry! If you run fast on a wet street with little puddles, you get jets of water. The area where the two half of inner shells connect is an area where water could enter the casing, right? Time will tell. A tear down after some weeks in winter time will show up problems with leaks.

The protection bag I own is also a little protection against rain...

4 minutes ago, Keith said:

How well that does not see water on it as it being touched would be my main concern. Hopefully it either has no effect or the firmware will not shut down if the wheel is actually moving?

No it does not shut down while there is any kind of balancing activity. Sometimes I leave a foot on the pedal an tried to switch of the wheel. With some light movements you are not able to switch of the wheel off wether by wheel button nor the App power button. I guess rain won´t be able to shut down the wheel as well...

11 minutes ago, Keith said:

How well that does not see water on it as it being touched would be my main concern. Hopefully it either has no effect or the firmware will not shut down if the wheel is actually moving?

Apart of not being able to switch off the wheel while in move / use the switch requires actual finger to be present and water droplets will not activate the sensor.

I also drove in rain recently and everything was fine. Touch button works even when wet and water doesn't shut the wheel down. As others pointed out, it cannot be turned off while driving which makes lot of sense. Imagine driving to tunnel trying to turn lights on without stoping and suddenly it shuts down because you left your finger there just a second too long.   

Just tried the v5F+ last night .. wow ! It made my bot and IPS looking and feeling old generation !

I want to place an order now !

I will put my review once I get it hopefully soon.

Just now, Pagsy said:

Just tried the v5F+ last night .. wow ! It made my bot and IPS looking and feeling old generation !

I want to place an order now !

I will put my review once I get it hopefully soon.

All these positive remarks from previous wheel owners almost make me want to buy a Ninebot or similar just so that I would appreciate my V5F+ even more than I already do!

Just mounted the GoPro Hero to my V5F+. I had to grind down my protective molding slightly so I had a flat surface for the Gopro mount to adhere adequately.I  mounted it just below the blue power level leds. Looks kind of cool with the reflection shining off the GP clear plastic surround. 

As I mentioned more than once, I am on vacancy in Italy now. The final destination is Sardinia, but we have an intermediate stop in Varese. The Palace Hotel is on a small hill, today I drove the serpentines down to the village and kept an eye on the battery level. Well I already knew this from the Ninebot, but the V5F+ has a regenerative brake as well! Started with 75% Battery, reached the Village with 80% Battery.

Going up was really nice, the wheel is powerfull. I met some Italian guys that followed me uphill a while. I stopped to let them pass by as the road was quite narrow. But they told me they just want to see me riding, turned their car and went down again :P 

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Just mounted the GoPro Hero to my V5F+. I had to grind down my protective molding slightly so I had a flat surface for the Gopro mount to adhere adequately

I really wish that EUC manufacturers would start adding some "universal" mount points to their wheels for cameras and additional lights and so on. Simple semi-consealed built in nuts anchored to the inside shell in front and back with adapters for standard camera mounts will do greatly.Maybe another recommendation @Jason McNeil can pass onto Inmotion? ;) 

Video opening up the V5F+. It is fast! How fast...well lets just say I would not feel comfortable holding onto my Iphone to quantify the speed but it was bordering on tilt back. Also got to feel just how it handles going over a rough narrow bridgel. Not as smooth as the NB1 but I never expected a 14" wheel to be as smooth as a 16".

On 8/3/2016 at 9:42 AM, Fahrtwind said:

Did already anybody drive the V5 in the rain? In germany it´s raining since days now without a break.

Living in Luxembourg, so same rain here. After riding in the rain I found the most problematic is how to hold the umbrella sufficiently ahead of you so you don't get soaked at 20-25kmh. Otherwise I had no problems!! :-) 

I wonder, does Inmotion app show accurate mileage? It says I already have 348 Km. I mean it might be possible, I drive it every day, but it still seems like a lot.  

Is it possible to increase the top speed to 27 or 30 kph in the newest firmware? I'd like to have a litte more cruise speed without tiltback for commuting, I guess it would kick in later with the higher top speed?

(I haven't installed the app on this phone yet but it asked for all kinds of permissions, why does it need all that access, inmotion must be collecting who, when, where and how their wheels are being used?)

So since yesterday i'm also a proud Owner of a V5F+.Ordered from @Jason McNeil on Saturday.Perfect and very quick Service.Great...I directly charged it for a first ride,

but when the charging was nearly finished, we got a Thunderstorm and lots of Rain until the Night .:(

So today is the Day....or not...because when i finished Work it starts raining again and still is raining.........:(:(

I did just some short tryouts last night and this morning and the Wheel feels great already.So hopefully tommorow will be my Day for a long Ride......:D

I started with about 40 psi (35-45 is printed on the tire) but a week ago I pumped it to 75 psi and at first it felt  hard but now I got used to it and using my knees better to absorb shocks, I'll probably keep it around 70.

21 minutes ago, nomad said:

I started with about 40 psi (35-45 is printed on the tire) but a week ago I pumped it to 75 psi and at first it felt  hard but now I got used to it and using my knees better to absorb shocks, I'll probably keep it around 70.

70?! That sounds extreme......

7 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

@Fahrtwind @Rehab1 @houseofjob etc, what psi do you guys roll (literally) with? 

Hi @Paddylaz I'm using 40 PSI and it feels good .

And happy happy , we got 2 dry Days ,so i could try my new Baby....

Yesterday 23km on Roads and today 18 km in the Woods.The Wheel feels really good . I only had the Problem with hurting Feet .Yesterday much more than today.

Like when you just start EUC riding.I don't have this with the NB1 anymore so i think i need to get used to the Paddles.

Archived