Inmotion V5F+ review

fearedbliss

Yesterday I drove 20km till the battery level was at 19%. The wheel was still very responsive with this battery level, but I felt a very little tilt back at speed above 22km/h. Not agressive like the ninebot did (I had moments withsweat outbreak). The ambient temperature was 28°C. Even with the protection cover on (isolation!) I had no heat issues.

My wife and me decided to make a marathon route. She drives her bicycle, I will ride my V5. We will do it this week, I am curious if I have to carry the wheel for the last kilomters...

I have done 98km so far. Checked the tire pressure, was at 2,6bar, inflated it to 2,8bar. The imprint of the tire shows a max. of 2.8bar with a load of 50kg. My weight is 74kg. By the way, I like the simple solution to have the valve accessable through a little "door", no valve extension etc. And: if you ever had some mud in the case that dries and makes strange noises: you can clean the tire and most of the wheel!

Again: This wheel is so solid travelling over gravel and lawn. The NB always made strange noises... 

The 1,5 hours charging time I read somewhere (manual??) is a bit unrealistic. Calculate with 3 hours if your battery is really flat...

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Fahrtwind said:

I have done 98km so far. Checked the tire pressure, was at 2,6bar, inflated it to 2,8bar. The imprint of the tire shows a max. of 2.8bar with a load of 50kg.

That seems pretty low....is that the recommended in the manual?

Quite often the tires on eucs are child mountain bike tires that are used - so the recommended values on the rubber are based on a bicycle where you have another wheel bearing the weight. 

7 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

That seems pretty low....is that the recommended in the manual?

Quite often the tires on eucs are child mountain bike tires that are used - so the recommended values on the rubber are based on a bicycle where you have another wheel bearing the weight. 

I also use around 2.8 bar, liking the feel of a slightly soft wheel. Initially I pumped it up to 4 bar, but that was a little hard for me. Quite a difference to my road bike, where the tires are at 8, but this isn't a road bike :D

I got my V5F on last friday evening and I already have nearly 70 km on it. So far this EUC makes me so happy I have to ride it all the time. Any excuse to go out is good enough.

I read on this forum some concerns about small pedals. My foot size (euro) is 42/43. I can only compare it with my first EUC you can see on photo below. The old EUC was killing my feet. Only about 2/3 of my feet could fit and after 10-15 minutes it caused lot of pain and I had to take a break. Oval pedals on V5F are so much better. I can stand on those comfortably for much longer and my feet fits perfectly. No size problem there.  

201512210933561764195570.jpg

When V5F arrived I quickly found out the tire pressure is low. I pumped it to suggested 2,8 bar and it feels just right.

I also read some concerns about higher positioned pedals. It felt strange for first few kilometres but I didn't feel less stability at all. Even on low speed. It was actually lot more stable than the old EUC. I would never jump from sidewalks on the old EUC. I would surely fell. Now on V5F it feels like nothing.

One thing I had to get used to was sharper turning. When I try to turn same way as on the old EUC, it is not enough for V5F to make the turn. When i put more force into it, it makes quick sharp turn. It is hard to explain the difference. After few days Im confident at turning again.

For everyone who is still thinking about getting this wheel, I can fully recommend it. I did read a lot about different models and brands before getting V5F and this was clear winner for me. Still is. 

There is an App update available for the Inmotion App. Some people reported (over the App build in Message System) it is full of bugs, missing functions (switch off the wheel by App etc.) I did not update yet - anyone who can confirm or contradict these facts?

5 minutes ago, Fahrtwind said:

There is an App update available for the Inmotion App. Some people reported (over the App build in Message System) it is full of bugs, missing functions (switch off the wheel by App etc.) I did not update yet - anyone who can confirm or contradict these facts?

Three days ago I received an update to version 3.1. It is a little buggy: sometimes it fails to update state from the EUC, but re-entering status page usually does the trick.

My trolley came in today and it looks smexy!

It was very easy to install as well. You just need to remove the 4 on the handle of the wheel, then place the trolley over it, and put the 4 screws that it comes with.

To install the rubber in the back, just use the two screws it comes with directly.

I haven't tried riding it yet but will do, I was reading on this thread that some people needed to slightly re-calibrate it so that it has better leaning..

http://imgur.com/a/R40fi

The trolley feels extremely comfortable when grabbed. It does add a little bit of weight to the wheel. Also, the material feels very solid. Some people were thinking that I might be a flimsy stick, but it feels like a strong, piece of aluminum.

4 hours ago, fearedbliss said:

It was very easy to install as well. You just need to remove the 8 screws on the handle of the wheel, then place the trolley over it, and put the 8 screws that it comes with.

Hm 8 screws? The handle has 4 holes, where did you put 8 screws in? :D

I found out there is a discrepancy of 5% or more between the battery level shown in the Inmotion App and the level shown in the widget (on iPhone). I am not sure which one shows the correct battery level. However, the level in the widget ist always lower...

image.png

image.png

1 minute ago, Fahrtwind said:

I found out there is a discrepancy of 5% or more between the battery level shown in the Inmotion App and the level shown in the widget (on iPhone). I am not sure which one shows the correct battery level. However, the level in the widget ist always lower...

Interesting. I have also noticed that the battery percentage in the app appears to deplete faster the lower the percentage value is. It can actually say 100% in the app for quite a while as I am riding, but when I get below 40 percent, it goes down way faster.

11 hours ago, thefork said:

Interesting. I have also noticed that the battery percentage in the app appears to deplete faster the lower the percentage value is. It can actually say 100% in the app for quite a while as I am riding, but when I get below 40 percent, it goes down way faster.

The voltage starts dropping faster the more empty the batteries are, usually dropping "off a cliff" near the end. Same goes for the very highest voltages (totally full pack), at start, the voltage will drop fast from the totally full cell, but it seems most wheels show 100% "longer" than what the cell actually is:

608-10A.png

At the start, you can see the voltage dropping very fast from around 4.2V to around 3.65 or so (this is at 10A discharge per cell, so very high discharge though). Then comes a long more or less "linear" range, where the voltage drops at roughly the same speed all the time, until the cell nears depletion, where the voltage will start dropping faster again.

It seems that all wheels measure the remaining battery based on voltage alone, so depending how they're translating the battery voltage to a percent value, you can sometimes see it changing a lot during acceleration or braking (especially when the battery is nearly empty).

10 minutes ago, Juick said:

@esaj Thx for this info. That explains why I could see 4/5 bars of battery on my old EUC when braking and only few meters later 1/5.

Yes, when the battery is very empty the voltage swings can get pretty large. When I had a voltage meter on the Firewheel, I could see the voltage go up to something like 55-56V (if memory serves) during braking and dropping to around 48V during acceleration / climbing a hill with nearly empty battery. The original percentage display on the Firewheel was just crap, it could show 100% (well, 99%, as it was 2-digit display) for several kilometers (including strong acceleration and hill climbing) after charging to full, and then show 0% later on the trip during steady riding even though the pack could still carry me for something like 4-5 kilometers :D  What I did was to use a bike computer (and later on, the voltage meter), and after "learning" how much mileage I could usually get with a full pack / how the voltage behaved, it was much easier to estimate how much battery I had left and how far I could go.

quick question :

How easy it is to find parts for this EUC ? battery, shell, tire etc ...

I see lots of reseller providing parts and accesories for ninebot, I don't seem to see  a lot for inMotion.

22 minutes ago, Pagsy said:

quick question :

How easy it is to find parts for this EUC ? battery, shell, tire etc ...

I see lots of reseller providing parts and accesories for ninebot, I don't seem to see  a lot for inMotion.

I recently asked @Jason McNeil about replacement tire, inner tube and outer shells and they were all available for purchase. Haven't asked about batteries.

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

I have replacement batteries for warranty Customers ;) 

perhaps this stupid "i have heard-troll" from Facebook should take a look around here.....i think you know whom i mean!

my respect that you have stayed calm and quiet! :)

I am just back from my longest ride with one load. I made 35km with 20% left in Battery. Below 30% the wheel started with soft tilt back if I reached 23km/h. Nice! 40km is realistic - but not at full speed!

6 minutes ago, Fahrtwind said:

I am just back from my longest ride with one load. I made 35km with 20% left in Battery. Below 30% the wheel started with soft tilt back if I reached 23km/h. Nice! 40km is realistic - but not at full speed!

Great! I was planning to try this, but Stranger Things on Netflix got in the way, haha!

Is it reasonable to assume that the tilt-back speed will become gradually lower and lower until the batteries deplete fully? That seems like the best solution to me. 

@Fahrtwind That is impressive! I hope to put miles/km on my V5F+ this weekend! 

BTW...keep your eyes open for the  EUC Video Talent Contest tomorrow! It has not been officially announced yet but should be fun!  Final draft of the rules is currently taking place with the EUC Forum moderators who will over see the contest. The prize: A brand new V5F+  currently in the safe hands of @Jason McNeil  :D Stay tuned!

Archived