Inmotion V5F+ review

fearedbliss

After over two months in transit, the first North American V5Fs have finally arrived today. My God, this Wheel is such a work of beauty! uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjV1hOSTFIM

On 7/16/2016 at 9:48 AM, Bert Boerman said:

The only thing I miss is a possibility to park it when switched off. As the wheel is then disengaged, you cannot just put it against a wall, as it rolls away

The Designers have thought of this: there's supports right above the wheel arch that allows it to rest upright. 

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjdDBGeW1lc

Shipped about 20 Wheels out today, there are about 10 left, so get one while you can!  

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soooo glossy shiny.... :wub:  and people in the Msuper3 thread were saying matte finish looks better.  :rolleyes:   Man I can see your desk in the reflection - it's like a mirror!

I wish that red pin stripe was electroluminescent though... that would be cool...

It's like Christmas at your warehouse, and look who's name is on all the boxes?  :lol:  Do you send out free ewheels.com stickers and business cards with purchases?  It sure would save time just handing cards out to interested buyers who ask about the wheel... Would be nice to have a slightly cooler sticker though... ;)  You'd have like a fleet of rolling salespeople...

1 hour ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

It's like Christmas at your warehouse

It felt like Christmas, finally getting possession of one to use! In a way, pleased that some Customers had a chance to post their feedback first. Next time we'll have the consignment sent directly to Miami, far less headaches to deal with!!!

people in the Msuper3 thread were saying matte finish looks better.  :rolleyes: 

Yep, 3D renders can look pretty enticing, until their they're created in the Wheel-world. 

Do you send out free ewheels.com stickers and business cards with purchases?

Working on it... :) 

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

L:rolleyes:oking for my name on one of those boxes? 

Absolutely, should be with you in a couple days... 

2 hours ago, steve454 said:

I'll probably buy one even though i don't need two good wheels.:D

You definitely don't need two good wheels. At least 3 or 4 is the minimum around here, how did you get to be an Advanced Member with just one wheel? :P

5 hours ago, dmethvin said:

, how did you get to be an Advanced Member with just one wheel?

Well, I've had three, started with the cheapest a TG T3, then got an Osdrich T5,  Gave the first one to the Goodwill store, then got the Ninebot One E+.  Still have the Osdrich but almost never ride it, the NB1 is way stronger and better.:)

@all, thank you for your compliments for my driving skills! There a a lot more experienced wheelers out there and their videos are stunning. But I have to keep in mind I am 40 years old and not crazy enough to jump on/off the wheel while driving, do 180° turns while riding. But who knows where the journey is heading. I am really looking forward to my holidays in Italy Sardinia in 2 weeks. Of course altough our car trunk will be full until under its roof (2 adults, 2 children + shoes of my wife), there has to be space for my wheel! I will leave my panties at home if necessary!

On ‎20‎.‎07‎.‎2016 at 10:17 PM, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

How's the general riding over bumps on the 14" wheel compare to the 16" Ninebot that you used to have?  Do you find going over irregular surfaces any more difficult?

I can´t feel any difference when riding fast. You just fly over the gravel like the Ninebot did. Yesterday I made 10km without a stop, the wheel is very comfortable on long distances. There are differences when it comes to slow driving over the lawn e.g. Bumps definitly feel harder, holes has bigger effect for the wheel as it is smaller in diameter. Sometime our sidewalks have a little step you have to jump over - seems to be a little more difficult with the smaller tire. Maybe I am just a little bit afraid to crash and scratch this beauty and it is just imagination...The first scratch will hurt most.

The protective cover is not included (it should!), it has a soft foam on the inside and has the same effect as the ankle pads which are inkluded in the box. The qualtity is the money worth, reflector bands make it more visible in darkness. And it doesn´t make the wheel as ugly as many covers for your smartphone :P

On ‎21‎.‎07‎.‎2016 at 0:54 AM, steve454 said:

Wow! These are things we've been discussing in this forum and some of them are coming true.  For example, I said a couple months ago that a battery indicator on top of the wheel would be nice.  @esaj told me how it could be done, but it was way past my ability.  Now there is  a wheel that has what I wished for!  I'll probably buy one even though i don't need two good wheels.:D

The indicator is great! It is bright even in sunlight, you can throw an routined eye on it while driving. The standard blue colour of the last two bars change from blue to yellow/red when the battery is lower than 40(?)%. There is a turning circle round the battery symbol once you are faster than maybe 3 km/h. That looks really nice!

9 hours ago, Fahrtwind said:

@all, thank you for your compliments for my driving skills! There a a lot more experienced wheelers out there and their videos are stunning. But I have to keep in mind I am 40 years old and not crazy enough to jump on/off the wheel while driving, do 180° turns while riding. But who knows where the journey is heading. I do really looking forward to my holidays in Italy Sardinia in 2 weeks. Of course altough our car trunk will be full until under its roof (2 adults, 2 children + shoes of my wife), there has to be space for my wheel! I will leave my panties at home if necessary

Just be careful when you drive your wheel in Italy, car drivers in Italy they do expect the pedestrian to behave and not viceversa, then if you add the temperature of 30-40 celsius nervous driving is the standard. 

The main danger you'll face is the crossing, even on stripes , near a crossroad, many cars turn without caring if a pedestrian is there they think he can easily stop or jump back, which is not the case with a wheel under your feet :( 

11 hours ago, Fahrtwind said:

@Jason McNeil will you offer spare parts like plastic parts, batterys etc. for the V5 in the future?

We've got spare control-boards, battery packs, tires, & innertubes in stock now. Inmotion are sending us some protective covers too.  
Will be posting the parts on the website in the next week.  

@Fahrtwind Fantastic riding. I am certainly not there yet but after my first 50KM om the wheel I am comfortable with short turns, jumping off sidewalks, riding up small sidewalks etc. This thing is so effortless, amazing. When dropping off sidewalks, the high pedals are pretty good, because you don't hit them on the pavement.

When driving back to the park-and-ride from my office, I actually drive up the car ramp to the 4th floor. You should see the faces of people on the street when they see a guy (not his feet) flying up the ramp. :huh:  @Jason McNeil: Now I know that we had our wheels even before you had one yourself... Now that's customer focus! :-)

20 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

I think this image showing what's above Jason's warehouse should go above the second photo:

image.jpg

image.jpg

@Rehab1 - that one bathed in light is yours... B) <queue angelic voices aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh>

Oh no.., that is Jason's ride! He already opened the box?

Looks like he's opened a few boxes.  Can you blame him?  It's Christmas!  :wub:  I'd be like mine :blink: mine :blink: mine  :blink:mine  :blink: mine!  :lol:  Yeah, it's probably best that I don't get into selling these as a profession.  ;)  Customers would be all like "Hey... why is there like 2 km's on my brand new wheel?"  and "What's this?  There's fingerprints all over this one!" and "Hey my wheel has kisses all over it!"

Actually I bet he's trying to find spots to stash in the trolley handles so it's all in one box maybe?

12 hours ago, EricGhost said:

Just be careful when you drive your wheel in Italy, car drivers in Italy they do expect the pedestrian to behave and not viceversa, then if you add the temperature of 30-40 celsius nervous driving is the standard. 

The main danger you'll face is the crossing, even on stripes , near a crossroad, many cars turn without caring if a pedestrian is there they think he can easily stop or jump back, which is not the case with a wheel under your feet :( 

Thanks! My avatar picture was taken in our italy holidays last year (Piemont) - so I know what you are talking about :P I´ll try to keep my wheel on sidewalks and driving through the countryside, small trips to the supermarket etc.

3 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Actually I bet he's trying to find spots to stash in the trolley handles so it's all in one box maybe?

Yes it all comes in one package. This keeps the shipping effort/costs low.

Yesterday I installed the trolley handle. It fits the wheel very tautly - a little bit too tautly for me. I am pretty sure I scratched the handle of the wheel while installing it. So if you don´t want to keep the trolley handle on the wheel, don´t install it if you care about scratches. Well I will leave it installed and scratches are covered.

Since the weather is quite hot at the moment, 45-50°C in the car on a sunny day are not unusual. I never ever leave my RC Batteries or Uniwheels (containing Li-Ion Batteries) with this high temperature in the car. First they age (as it is influenced by temparature), second because of the risk of fire. I have 500m from the car park to my desk - this trolley handle is a must! The one and only disadvantage I found so far is the covered charging port. But you don´t have to charge this wheel very often ;) 

It was mentioned by someone he had to change the tilt angle - I can´t confirm that. The wheel behaves like it did before the installation of the bar.

What else? Oh, something about charging the wheel.

1) The indicator of the charger switches from red to green when the current is lower than 400mA. This does NOT mean your wheel is completely full! Watch the battery indicator. The wheel is at 100% if all bars a constantly on. Many of you know, LiIon batteries are charged first with constant current, then the BMS changes to constant voltage. The last 5% needs a lot of time to get charged.

2) In charging mode, the wheel can be connected to the App. You can see the charging state in the App. If you want, put your Phone in a dock on your desk and watch your wheel beeing charged.

3) While charging, I disconnected the 220V power plug as it was not put in completely by accidentally. The wheel recognized this, I heard a warning voice and an alert symbol at the battery indicator indicated I did something wrong. It is remarked in many uniwheel manuals you have to make the 220V connection first before you plug in the charging plug in the wheel. Disconnecting in reverse sequence. Although the wheel seems to be protected: Don´t try this out :D

There are so many little things which makes the wheel unique!

Could you do a video showing how it rolls with the trolley handle?  How is it to carry with the trolley handle attached as it gets in the way of the built-in handle?  Does the handle lock in an up or down position?  Can you lift the wheel up stairs by the handle while it it extended?

20 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Could you do a video showing how it rolls with the trolley handle?  How is it to carry with the trolley handle attached as it gets in the way of the built-in handle?  Does the handle lock in an up or down position?  Can you lift the wheel up stairs by the handle while it it extended?

Of course I can do a video (when I am back home again). No problem to carry the wheel with the unfolded handle while pushing the handle bar button to shut off the motor. Of course it is a bit thicker/higher, but it is still comfortable (as comfortable as carrying a wheel of 12kg could be) The handle locks in at the up position, you have to push a button to release from this position. In down position it is fixed with a flexible plastic clamp.

Jason is right (of course) as he stated the wheel may be parked on the plastic arch and it stands quite stable. I will design a small plastik part on the CAD and 3D print it with PETG to cover this area. Maybe I can design it a bit thicker to improve the stability on soft grounds...

Puhh, the tire smells! Many chemical compounds, softener etc. coming out of it. Especially with these summer temperatures. I remeber my NB1 when it was new. It took about 6 months until the smell disappeared almost completely...

1 hour ago, Fahrtwind said:

3) While charging, I disconnected the 220V power plug as it was not put in completely by accidentally. The wheel recognized this, I heard a warning voice and an alert symbol at the battery indicator indicated I did something wrong. It is remarked in many uniwheel manuals you have to make the 220V connection first before you plug in the charging plug in the wheel. Disconnecting in reverse sequence. Although the wheel seems to be protected: Don´t try this out :D

Actually it's quite opposite - all my wheels recommends to insert the DC plug into charging port of the wheel first and then to plug the charger in the AC socket to avoid "sparkling" while inserting the DC plug. And indeed other way around when unplugging.

2 minutes ago, HEC said:

Actually it's quite opposite - all my wheels recommends to insert the DC plug into charging port of the wheel first and then to plug the charger in the AC socket to avoid "sparkling" while inserting the DC plug. And indeed other way around when unplugging.

Interesting! I think it was Kinsong who recommends to plug in DC Plug first...saw it in a post somewhere...my superficial knowledge is dangerous sometimes! ;)

59 minutes ago, HEC said:

My experience with E+ is opposite :).

I insert: first bot, then wall - I get "sparkling" at the wall end.
I insert: first wall, then bot - everything is OK.

Opposite when unplugging.

I do either on occassion, but normally i plug into the outlet first, then into the wheel. I have very limited k owledge but my gut feeling tells me that there may be some in rush currents or other irregularities which can occur coming out of the charger, but in a coupke of seconds yhe charger should normalize all irregularities. So since i dont want to expose the wheel to that first second of plugging in the charger, i usually plug the charger in first. I could be wrong as ive heard both this way and the opposite recommended.

However i do understand that sparking can happen when one is plugging the charging wire onto the wheels prongs and they are not perfectly alligned or in general when just touching them a spark can be created. So of course to avoid that, if you are already plugged into the wheel, you are reducing a chance of a spark.

5 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

5 minutes ago, Cloud said:

I do either on occassion, but normally i plug into the outlet first, then into the wheel. I have very limited k owledge but my gut feeling tells me that there may be some in rush currents or other irregularities which can occur coming out of the charger, but in a coupke of seconds yhe charger should normalize all irregularities. So since i dont want to expose the wheel to that first second of plugging in the charger, i usually plug the charger in first. I could be wrong as ive heard both this way and the opposite recommended.

No (proper) switching PSU will do that. It's actually safer to plug the charger to the wheel first and then to wall because if you have highly discharged battery and powerful 5A charger (like @Jason McNeil supplies with KS-16s) you'll have quite large difference in voltages (12V or more with 67.2V charger and battery at around 55V ) so that would actually create a large initial "rush" and can cause an arc during plugging in. Though properly design wheel and charger should withstand it and you shall be safe either way.

So if you plug the charger into the wheel first and you have the initial voltage delta of 12v , are you saying that the charger will recognize the delta and make sure the charging voltage starts out lower, prior to the charger being plugged into the outlet? If so, it makes a lot of sense. I didnt know that the charger does that

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

So if you plug the charger into the wheel first and you have the initial voltage delta of 12v , are you saying that the charger will recognize the delta and make sure the charging voltage starts out lower, prior to the charger being plugged into the outlet? If so, it makes a lot of sense. I didnt know that the charger does that

Well charger can't really do anything unless it powered up / plugged into mains socket. The whole idea is that if you're plugging the live (powered up) DC end of the charger to the wheel, it will have 67.2V at it's pins and up to 5A of current to "rush over" and at the brief moment between touching the socket and fully inserting the plug in there is imperfect contact (it can be actually connected and disconnected a few times as you push the plug in) which causes the sparkling / arching. Properly designed / rated sockets and plugs will have no problem with this. If you power the charger with DC plug already inserted into the charging socket of the wheel it will pretty much instantly match the voltage of the battery and start charging at designed rate.

Archived