Inmotion V5F+ review

fearedbliss

@Fahrtwind Thanks for all of the posts!  You are becoming a wealth of information. Sorry you are having problems with the app. I am definitely following your posts so when mine arrives I will have a better understanding of the idiosyncrasies you are encountering without having to go through the learning curve.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@FahrtwindNice review.

Two comments. For your NB1 ride mode 3 and the V5F+ ride mode 1/2 comparison. I use to ride NB1 on 3 then switched to 1. I feel like the V5F+ is way more stiffer than even NB1 ride mode 1.. I would say V5F is like a -2 lol. It's good for some people, bad for others. Depends on if the person wants a washy feeling or a stiff feeling.

As for the protective ankle padding. In the beginning, I didn't put them on since I'm an experienced rider. But then the sides of my feet started to hurt since it's a different wheel and I need to get used to it, so I decided to put the padding. The padding is much more comfortable on the sides of my feet, the problem is that as I said in my review, the pedals are kinda small on the V5F+, so putting the padding essentially lowers the room for my feet on my pedals, which is unacceptable. So I'm going to be removing the ankle protection stuff. The more space I can get for the pedals the better.

With the protection cover on, the sides of the cover are soft enough for me. The ankle protection is very thick. The pedals can not be fold up completely with the ankle protection installed. 

I made a 5km night ride, the light is bright enough and gives you a light cone of 5m.

So I made my first 15km today, remaining battery 73%. That's nice!

Everything could be great. But the negative connotation is the missing sounds. To the V5 owners. If you switch on you wheel, please put your ear close to the speaker. Do you hear a quiet noise all the time the wheel is switched on? There is an acoustic noise. I am pretty sure my problem is software related...

1 hour ago, fearedbliss said:

the pedals are kinda small on the V5F+,

Are they smaller than Ninebot pedals?  I like the rounded shape of them, but I have large feet.  @Bryan Wells riveted on some extensions on his kingsong 18 that look pretty good.  I am thinking of buying some aluminum plate about three or four inches longer and one or two inches wider than my pedals and laying them on top of the pedals and either riveting them on or maybe two small bolts would be enough to fasten them.  He said the pedals were much more comfortable.

Guys, good news: sounds are back!

I am not sure why they disappeared, here is how I got them back:

The trick to successfully upload any sound is to put the wheel in sleep mode first. Turn the wheel off but keep your finger on the switch. You are able to connect via Bluetooth. Now you are able to upload factory sounds again. After that, my sounds were back again!

There is another way to enter sleep Mode and it is more simple.

Another pro of the wheel: there is a nice community with moderators available in the App. 

image.png

11 hours ago, Fahrtwind said:

Nie ma innego sposobu, aby wejść w tryb uśpienia i jest bardziej proste.

Innym pro koła: jest miła społeczność z moderatorami dostępnych w aplikacji. 

image.png

how??problem

30 minutes ago, fearedbliss said:

@steve454I haven't measured them but I'm 99% sure they are smaller.

Yeah, I guess the more rounded ends means less pedal size, but what about the length, so the toes don't hang so far?  Remember those old 60's gas pedals that were shaped like a bare foot?  Might be something I will look into.:ph34r:

At the moment, there is just one disadvantage I found: parking the V5. The Battery sits on the top of the wheel. So as @Bert Boerman wrote before, it is very hard to park it leaning against a wall. It will tip over and become very fast because of the wight of the battery. It did not happen to me yet, but it leans very anstable und the cover will be scratched once it gets a small impulse to fall over. One function I am missing in the App is to lock the wheel. Or did I miss something?

As my Inbox in the Inmotion App is flooded with messages from Lukas @diegoxxx: maybe you can get some help here. Sorry mate, I don´t understand every word but this is what I think your problem is:

Lukas got a V5F+ Wheel from Jason and tested it, no problems. He then connected the wheel to the App an made the "Owner Verification" where the serial number scanned or entered will be registered. Once he did that, the wheel is identified as a V5 instead of V5F. The result is a speed Limit to 20 kph which cannot be switched to 25 back again. May one polland speaking person could help him in direct contact.

@Jason McNeil did he already contact you? I guess there is a mistake in the SN Database at the manufacturer

@diegoxxx the sleep mode is NOT a kind of reset. It is a mode where sound files (and maybe Firmware updates) can be uploaded to the wheel

I know from my own experience that Lukas has got sleepless nigthts. Well me too, that problem should be solved before I fall asleep while ewheeling!

I'm glad to see that a much deserved InMotion is getting some track record here. I hope InMotion doesn't get carried away or introduce firmware nightmares.

I'm not too sure why a higher pedal height is such a praised feature. Other than extreme narrow turns, is there another benefit like better center of gravity, better balance related to 14 inch size etc? Is the sole purpose is just for narrow turn only? I own 9bot One. So I don't have first hand experience with higher pedal riding. I hope it's easy to get used to IF I get the InMotion in future.

No, its actually harder to balance with pedals positioned higher. However they are just slightly higher so its very easy to get used to. The controls will be just a tad more sensitive than some other models with lower pedals. When i rode it it felt different but after a few minutes i was felling that i was getting used to that.  Tight turns in an important feature thought, its not minor to have a tighter turn advantage. You can also pass by higher objects and clear them with pedals pisitions higher, which otherwise can get hit by the bottom of pedals if they were positioned lower

Any of the happy new owners would be kind enough to take detailed / close-up picture of the charging port and (DC) plug? Maybe also label from the charger if possible? Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, HEC said:

Any of the happy new owners would be kind enough to take detailed / close-up picture of the charging port and (DC) plug? Maybe also label from the charger if possible? Thanks in advance!

The male end from the charger that connects to the EUC looks kind of like a USB type A male connection. Haven't got the DC plug with me, but it was the American three-pronged kind. The photo of the charger got a bit blurry, hope you can read it.

Edit 1: Sorry, I confused DC with AC. I was talking of the latter above. Will get a picture of the DC plug later today.

Edit 2: Added image of DC plug. 

rps20160718_180031_809.jpg

rps20160718_180217_240.jpg

rps20160718_180426_713.jpg

rps20160718_202701_213.jpg

Was able to try @fearedbliss's new V5F+ over the weekend (thanks again!), and was very impressed! Writing up a comprehensive comparison review with the S2 separate to this thread...

@steve454 I did measure the pedals, and at their widest points, they are 8" long x 5" wide. The oval shape actually maximizes pedal size, because if you think about it, our feet are shaped most closely to an elongated oval, not a rectangle, so having this pedal shape maximizes the pedal coverage equally across the foot at all points.

Initially, from the pictures, I thought they looked small and problematic, but while riding, I had no discomfort or issues (I am a Mens US 8.5 for reference). Sure they could be a bit longer, but the width was perfect for me, because my actual foot is 5" at it's widest point, so any chance of pedal scrape on turns would be more like shoe scrape, allowing the wheel to effectively bend closer to the ground on turns, especially with the higher pedals.

And @Planetpapi I respectfully disagree with @Cloud saying it's harder to balance on this wheel compared to another. It's just unusual at first, because at 5-1/2" high, this will probably be the highest sitting pedals on a wheel you've ever driven on (including, oddly enough, my KS-18A, which is 4.5" high; dunno about the MSuper series...) But, I also suspect this balance discrepancy has something to do with the fact of me being lighter than @Cloud (I am 72kg), as the physics will dictate that the greater mass a rider has above, in relation to the wheel's weight below, will bring the overall center of mass of rider+wheel higher, thus being potentially less stable in motion.

I know most riders are not really bending deep into their turns with their hip motion, ala motorbike racers, but I love doing so, and the V5F+'s combination of higher, less wide pedals enables the rider to get closer to parallel with the ground and not pedal scrape. I believe IMO this is one of the V5F+'s advantages overall all existing wheels out today.

54 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

And @Planetpapi I respectfully disagree with @Cloud saying it's harder to balance on this wheel compared to another. It's just unusual at first, because at 5-1/2" high, this will probably be the highest sitting pedals on a wheel you've ever driven on (including, oddly enough, my KS-18A, which is 4.5" high; dunno about the MSuper series...) But, I also suspect this balance discrepancy has something to do with the fact of me being lighter than @Cloud (I am 72kg), as the physics will dictate that the greater mass a rider has above, in relation to the wheel's weight below, will bring the overall center of mass of rider+wheel higher, thus being potentially less stable in motion.

Lol. @houseofjob and I love each other like brothers, but we also love to disagree :) . We were comparing wheels with higher pedals as opposed to wheels with lower pedals in relation to the ease of balancing. We were not comparing heavy people and light people in relation to the ease of balancing. Of course my heavier mass would make it harder to control than houseofjobs's.  However all other  things being equal its harder to balance when one is standing higher ( on pedals)  over the point of contact one is balancing over ( where wheel touches the ground). This being said, a small increase in pedal height in inmotion v5 has only a small effect on the balancing and basically makes the control of the wheel more sensitive to the position of the feet and body. This is easy to get used and the rider can still have the full control of the wheel.

4 hours ago, Planetpapi said:

I'm glad to see that a much deserved InMotion is getting some track record here. I hope InMotion doesn't get carried away or introduce firmware nightmares.

I'm not too sure why a higher pedal height is such a praised feature. Other than extreme narrow turns, is there another benefit like better center of gravity, better balance related to 14 inch size etc? Is the sole purpose is just for narrow turn only? I own 9bot One. So I don't have first hand experience with higher pedal riding. I hope it's easy to get used to IF I get the InMotion in future.

The V5F+ higher pedals not only allows me to make sharper turns, but I feel perfectly stable, balanced, and WAY more agile than NB1E+, my KS 14C, and even my little IPS A130. It's basically the perfect wheel for me, I just would have liked bigger pedals that had more width. The length is basically fine.

Archived