The Food Thread

• 3 weeks later...

Mmmmnnn... Lamb!

And it's good to eat too.

Seriously, I sous vide some the other day... 53.5°C for 2 hours... So juicy and tender!

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Mmmmnnn... Lamb!

I wondered when you would bring that up?

What’s the ratio of sheep to humans in New Zealand?

I would like to ask about deer though. The couple of times I’ve had it, it has been very “gamey” not a taste my palet is refined enough to like - it just tastes to me like it is off? I guess it is similar to pheasant and the like in needing to be hung for some time, but is that what deer should taste like?

Whilst mentioning this, I must tell you a story. My father was a postman, one guy would regularly order a brace of pheasant; wouldn’t be in when they were delivered and would leave the parcel at the sorting office for a couple of weeks so they were “hung” nicely when he picked them up. My father got fed up with this and the smell so the next time it happened he put the parcel on the radiator in an out of the way room for the two weeks - the customer somehow managed to collect them promptly after that ?.

Edited by Keith
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Keith said:

I wondered when you would bring that up?

What’s the ratio of sheep to humans in New Zealand?

I would like to ask about deer though. The couple of times I’ve had it, it has been very “gamey” not a taste my palet is refined enough to like - it just tastes to me like it is off? I guess it is similar to pheasant and the like in needing to be hung for some time, but is that what deer should taste like?

Whilst mentioning this, I must tell you a story. My father was a postman, one guy would regularly order a brace of pheasant; wouldn’t be in when they were delivered and would leave the parcel at the sorting office for a couple of weeks so they were “hung” nicely when he picked them up. My father got fed up with this and the smell so the next time it happened he put the parcel on the radiator in an out of the way room for the two weeks - the customer somehow managed to collect them promptly after that ?.

Ha... Nice story.

We have two "types" of deer meat here... Wild game (true venison) and farm raised (marketed as "cervena"). They are both very lean, but the cervena is a lot less gamey. I personally love them both (venison a little more maybe) though it's essential for them both that they aren't overcooked!

And of course, a glass (or three) of good wine - and for venison / cervena a nice petite sirah is Fat Unicyclist recommended.

• Like 1

@steve454, @The Fat Unicyclist, you guys REALLY crease my up. You have just up-repped what, i’m beginning to think is a trolling robot who has posted a photo from a cooking website (see: http://www.donalskehan.com/recipes/duck-beetroot-and-orange-salad/ ) The completely pointless advertising link ought to be a bit of a clue. Oh and he is posting from the Ukraine - not the U.K.

He has also done the same thing below - also with a stock screensaver photo - take a look at his profile and the nothing-but-off-topic posts he has made. I doubt he would know what an EUC was If it bit him in the leg ???. 

@nute and @Hunka Hunka Burning Love are as bad, they have both upvoted a stock photo from a blogspot in that above post: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Cu9Tfba3EU4/TvLC0emlAtI/AAAAAAAADNA/0kwoOEojeiI/s1600/nice-wallpapers-2.jpg

A bit worrying up-repping off-topic posts from someone we don’t know do you not think - does anyone actually care what some John Doe with absolutely no interest in EUC’s (that any of us aware of) likes to eat or what his taste in music is?

Edited by Keith
  • Like 1

Oh oh, busted.  :ph34r:  Hate to break the news, but I'm also a posting 'bot.  :innocent1:  The Chinese have paid me to frequent the forums in exchange for discounted electric unicycles.  It's all an elaborate ploy of my communist masterminds to help addict the world to these dangerous one wheeled inventions!  :whistling:

Actually I just try to give the odd upvote or like to newbies to help make them feel welcome to the forums.  I try to act like an online ambassador to help encourage further positive participation.  It's all about love, friendliness, and oddity for me which probably explains my username.  Judge not a man by how they upvote but how well they carry on a good conversation and the quality of their humour I always say.  :efef927839:

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I just try to give the odd upvote or like to newbies to help make them feel welcome to forums.  I try to act like an online ambassador to help encourage further positive participation

What the poster above said.  Me too.:mellow:

Edited by steve454
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

But how do you know he is in the Ukraine?

And how do you know he had only posted off-topic? I can only see one post in the user timeline...

Moderators can see where the posts come from, and you can only see one of his 5 posts now because I’ve temporarily hidden all of his other posts until he tells us what his interest in EUC’s is. 

So far we know about what music, food, photos, TV and stuff he shouldn’t have bought but not a word about any form of electric vehicle. So I have asked him politely to create a post introducing himself and telling us why he is here.

We have NEVER watched closely before but the awful troll @exoplanet caused us to waste so much time and effort policing his nonsense and unfortunately he keeps trying to create new I.D’s. So we study new users carefully at the moment (actually its becoming fun to battle wits with him and keep him off the forum ?) BTW we didn’t ban @exoplanet, we warned him that if he didn’t stop flood posting we would be forced to moderate his posts - his response was to create new I.D.’s and start asking waste of time questions - THEN we banned him ?.

I’ve no problem with photos from other sites, it makes sense to save space but I do have a problem with a new user advertising Tupperware and posting a random screensaver photo of Asian islands in the photo thread without any explanation of why - I’ve unhidden that post again (below) to demonstrate this. My personal feeling is that he is just a bot and won’t be back!

Edited by Keith
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Keith said:

Moderators can see where the posts come from, and you can only see one of his 5 posts now because I’ve temporarily hidden all of his other posts until he tells us what his interest in EUC’s is. 

So far we know about what music, food, photos, TV and stuff he shouldn’t have bought but not a word about any form of electric vehicle. So I have asked him politely to create a post introducing himself and telling us why he is here.

We have NEVER watched closely before but the awful troll @exoplanet caused us to waste so much time and effort policing his nonsense and unfortunately he keeps trying to create new I.D’s. So we study new users carefully at the moment (actually its becoming fun to battle wits with him and keep him off the forum ?) BTW we didn’t ban @exoplanet, we warned him that if he didn’t stop flood posting we would be forced to moderate his posts - his response was to create new I.D.’s and start asking waste of time questions - THEN we banned him ?.

I’ve no problem with photos from other sites, it makes sense to save space but I do have a problem with a new user advertising Tupperware and posting a random screensaver photo of Asian islands in the photo thread without any explanation of why - I’ve unhidden that post again (below) to demonstrate this. My personal feeling is that he is just a bot and won’t be back!

Thanks for that...  Very enlightening.

• Upvote 1

Yeah yeah I think he's likely some kinda 'bot too!  :ph34r:  He's made me buy a whole bunch of some addictive substance called "Pineapple Lumps!"  Now I got several cavities AND diabetes!   :angry:  From now on I'm going to be VERY suspicious of all new users!  No free upvotes or reps any more from this chump!!!  You have to eaaaarn it.

Plus I hate those lonely women who keep sending me emails with those veeeery interesting links that I keep clicking.  $16,300 later, and I still haven't received my bride in the mail yet.  :(

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Did @The Fat Unicyclist ever answer your question? :popcorn:

We have just completed a national census (people and sheep), so it is likely to change when they do the math, but...

As of 2014 the sheep / people ratio was 7:1 .

Spoiler

Or, as we call it over here... "The weekly harem!".  :facepalm:

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

We have just completed a national census (people and sheep), so it is likely to change when they do the math, but...

Reveal hidden contents

Interesting facts. I’m not on my desktop so my hidden comments are...well let’s just say ...revealing.:P

40229786105_6fae359994_b.jpg

• Like 2

Is it because we ride one wheeled vehicles that we tend to veer off course so easily?  :efefb6a84e:  Oh right.... the foooooooOooooood thread!

Has anyone tried making some miso butter?  You can get these small plastic containers of white miso from Korean or Asian supermarkets and melt some into non-salted butter on a frying pan.  It makes steak taste soooooo good!  Be cautious to use it in small quantities as it is very salty.  I think they say it adds umami (savory) flavour to the meat.

I recently started cooking with some Lodge cast iron pans, and they are great!  I sear the salted steak at medium to high temperature for about three minutes a side to trap in the flavour.  Afterwards I bake it in the oven for a bit more to get to the desired medium well done state.  Dip pieces into the miso butter like a condiment and enjoy!  It's my favorite now next to horseradish!

This guy has some good cast iron how-to videos.  I prefer my steak just slightly pink in the middle, but to each their own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Is it because we ride one wheeled vehicles that we tend to veer off course so easily?  :efefb6a84e:  Oh right.... the foooooooOooooood thread!

Has anyone tried making some miso butter?  You can get these small plastic containers of white miso from Korean or Asian supermarkets and melt some into non-salted butter on a frying pan.  It makes steak taste soooooo good!  Be cautious to use it in small quantities as it is very salty.  I think they say it adds umami (savory) flavour to the meat.

I recently started cooking with some Lodge cast iron pans, and they are great!  I sear the salted steak at medium to high temperature for about three minutes a side to trap in the flavour.  Afterwards I bake it in the oven for a bit more to get to the desired medium well done state.  Dip pieces into the miso butter like a condiment and enjoy!  It's my favorite now next to horseradish!

This guy has some good cast iron how-to videos.  I prefer my steak just slightly pink in the middle, but to each their own.

SOUS VIDE... It's the best way to cook. End of story.

Ahhhh me no big fan of slow boiling food sealed in a plastic bag.   I know everyone raves about it, but the sous vide items I've tried weren't that great.  Maybe i'll have to give it a try myself sometime.  I still like the sizzling hot sear of the cast iron.

21 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Ahhhh me no big fan of slow boiling food sealed in a plastic bag.   I know everyone raves about it, but the sous vide items I've tried weren't that great.  Maybe i'll have to give it a try myself sometime.  I still like the sizzling hot sear of the cast iron.

Oh, you definitely need to finish with a good searing... But done right, the meat is already cooked through to the centre (without overcooking the outside), so the searing is just to add some caramelisation. And the result should be like this (sous vide on the left, "normal" on the right)...

sous-vide-vs-traditional-steak.jpg

For more details see... https://sansaire.com/cook-steak-sous-vide/

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Hide contents

Ah - New Zealand where men are men.........

and sheep are terrified ?.

• Like 2

After this excessively prolonged winter where April snow brings May flowers :blink:, I have stumbled upon a new Superfood Combo!  It's sheer genius!   Ladies and gentlemen ( @Cloud avert your eyes), I present to you...

NACHO CHEESE DORITOS BATHED IN KFC GRAVY!!!!  :w00t2:

IMG_3997.jpg

sg4xah.jpg%C2%A0

Omigosh it is sooooOOOOOoooOOOoo freakishly gooooOOOOoooOOood!!!  :dribble:  Open your minds to it, and be prepared to be mind-blown!  Seriously the combo just works!  I know right?  I'm a genius!  :smartass:

Too bad there are no KFC's in Finland, or I'm sure @esaj would be like all over this new culinary paradigm shift!  Try it and report back.