EUC Theft Prevalence

This does worry me a little,  I don't allow the wee man to take his airwheel out on his own for this reason.  

As there have been reports of kids having their balance wheels,segways, 'hoverboards' stolen from them.    

Perhaps no one would steal it to sell, but could steal it for a laugh/fun/to see it they could ride it.  

Though on a positive, I don't know anyone who could just grab it and ride it away (unless they already had one of their own)  Plus trying to run and carry it would be awkward, so hopefully would be able to catch up to them, though worry is they could then become violent.   

That's not good, can you find a place to ride without so many negative people?  The worst i had a guy said as I was riding in the park, that looks like a broken leg.  Yeah, thanks asshole I was thinking.  Shut the hell up.

But there were more positive or neutral comments than negative so that helps.

But in general, I try to not ride where there are a lot of people cause I'm not that confident riding yet so that keeps the stress level down a bit.  Not many of these things are around here, so I keep a low profile.  Especially if a police car is in the parking lot, I don't want to make the cops have to make a decision.  I just drive on home and ride the next day.

That's not good, can you find a place to ride without so many negative people?  The worst i had a guy said as I was riding in the park, that looks like a broken leg.  Yeah, thanks asshole I was thinking.  Shut the hell up.

My most positives were "I like that one" and "that looks interesting" 

Reading this I feel so fortunate to live at the end of the world - over here our police don't even carry side-arms (though they are starting to equip themselves with tasers).

Because of the relative safety, I feel confidant riding almost everywhere - I do (bike-)lock my wheel when I'm out of sight of it, to stop opportunists. Though it would be interesting to see someone trying to subtly carry off my (15kg) IPS191.

2 hours ago, steve454 said:

The worst i had a guy said as I was riding in the park, that looks like a broken leg. 

Doesn't seem too negative a comment to me.  Just another way of saying "That looks dangerous and you'll break something if not careful".  which a lot of rider have.

3 hours ago, tadrossi said:

I live in the USA in a very crime ridden city. I rarely stop when people ask me to come here. And they do. Usually very rudely and loudly. Then when I ignore them I get called names because they're feelings are hurt. Catch 22. Its 1 of the main negatives of riding. I don't want to kill some one for trying to rob me for my euc. People are to dumb to know that they cant even ride it without training, And will definitely try you.:angry:

One of the main reasons I don't get EUs with all those flashing lights, as it draws too much attention to you.  There is no way to filter good attention from the bad.

15 hours ago, Chuts said:

One of the main reasons I don't get EUs with all those flashing lights, as it draws too much attention to you.  There is no way to filter good attention from the bad.

I agree - the first thing I did with my IPS191 was disable the (side) lights - but I keep the front / back "brake" lights on for a little safety. 

Though I may have to turn them back on, as I'm thinking of joining in with the Bicycle Festival of Lights.

7 hours ago, Chuts said:

Just another way of saying "That looks dangerous and you'll break something if not careful".  which a lot of rider have.

Right, but I already know that. I don't need a person I've never met putting a curse on me, that's just rude.

12 hours ago, Chuts said:

Lights or not they are in awe. I started with  tg-f5 and its beautiful Lit up like a Christmas tree.:) Im the only person in this city with a euc. 99 percent of the people here have never seen 1. Dont get me wrong some people are cool and say the funniest stuff. But I have had at least 4 people say they will "take my shit". Im always armed but its a lose lose situation if I have to use it. I wheel for enjoyment and fun. Not to kill or be killed.  I now have the mcm4 for its speed and am considering the acm16. I can just ignore BS and speed pass if I have 2. Its not always I feel threatened but it only takes 1 incident. I work a lot and absolutely find joy in wheeling.  I just dont want it to turn into a tragedy. Be safe fellow wheelers. I wish Love, Peace and Happiness to all.:D

New Zealand sounds like a nice place to live.  Plus I hear you can go skiing and surfing in the same day!  I don't think I'd ride one of these in a place where I'd have to carry a gun.  It draws enough attention as it is, and I'd only want good attention.

Although tonight I was doing my usual 14 km roll, and on the way home I was going down a steep hill, and an older lady walking on the way up asked me how do you go uphill?  I replied it has a motor so you just lean to go uphill.  Heading further past, I hear this "Show me how you do it!"  :unsure:  Great... so I'm heading down this fairly steep hill braking, but I do a sharp left turn barely making it in the narrow 5 foot wide pathway (I'm not that great at tight turns yet, and the incline isn't helping), but I make it and show her how easy it is to climb uphill.  I do another U turn at the top and head back down passing the lady.  She says something about how it's just like a unicycle, and I replied yeah it is while continuing down the hill doing a blind wave back... B)

It was good practice though doing the turn on a hill, but I had to do a jerky U turn at the top.  Oh well just doing my bit to show off the EUC.  I noticed today everyone seems to be smiling and waving at me.  I had a car slow and honk while giving me a wave as well.

2 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

New Zealand sounds like a nice place to live.  Plus I hear you can go skiing and surfing in the same day!  I don't think I'd ride one of these in a place where I'd have to carry a gun.  It draws enough attention as it is, and I'd only want good attention.

Yes, it is a nice place to live - whenever I travel away I always look forward to getting home (but then that would probably be true for most people, regardless of where they live).

And yes, you can ski and surf in one day - the furthest you can get from the ocean over here is only 120 kilometres (75 miles). But in winter, when there's enough snow to ski, the water temperature is about 10°C (50°F) - so I wouldn't recommend it. 

Good to hear you challenged yourself on the hill - remember, all of us are always EUC ambassadors!

Although I don't know that much about the country, New Zealand is pretty much the only country I'd consider moving to (if I had to / wanted to move abroad) ;)  Since I only speak Finnish and English, that already rules out a lot of countries though... :P 

On 10 juli 2016 at 5:41 PM, tadrossi said:

Im always armed but its a lose lose situation if I have to use it. I wheel for enjoyment and fun. Not to kill or be killed.

I am sorry that you have to live in a place where you feel you have to bear arms to feel safe, that being said.

You would really kill someone for taking you EU? Its just a wheel with batteries not the cure for cancer. Are you really prepared for the outcome of that?

I can't tell if you are serious or not but (just baring arms I think you are) if someone should take my wheel I would just give it to them and save up for a new one, having no wheel vs possibly taking a life is not a choice for me.

Well, so I had to check.

Combining the years 2007-2014 it's actually less likely to get killed where you live than the national average in America. (Not counting other crimes as these are higher where you live than the national average)

I understand that facts doesn't take fear away and I still feel bad that you have to carry to a gun to feel safe but sometimes the fear is more of a feeling (due to thousands of possible reasons) than reality.

Unfortunately the violence in America had grow significantly over the past 2 decades. When race riots and drug crimes increased in the 90s I felt the need to purchase a gun. I never carry a gun when riding my NB 1 as it would be unsafe but I do carry most other times.

I wish things were different in this country! I carry a gun not so much out of fear but because of the current social norms in my country including behaviors and cues.  There are so many inappropriate, negative values, beliefs and attitudes that have evolved in my country over the past 20 years. I wish things were different. It would be heaven to live in a country where you open the newspaper and read uplifting, humanistic stories instead of the constant barrage of serious crimes that occur here daily.

I love my country but the racial hate and diminishing family values is extremely discouraging.

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Unfortunately the violence in America had grow significantly over the past 2 decades.

Ok, well page tells a different story.

http://www.usa.com/new-york-state-crime-and-crime-rate.htm

Crimes have been stedaly dropping since 2005 in America, (page doesn't go furthe back) and this includes racial crimes.

(I'm not saying everything is good, it's not good until everyone is treated equal and am also horrified regarding the progress of certain politic parties in my country)

But I think if you compare this with the amount of reporting from tv, news, newspapers, politicians etc etc that it's all gotten so bad I bet it has increased 1000 fold and more.

I think it's a great (read terrible) way to attract attention to (and away) from other things saying everything is terrible and we need to fix it, and inject fear that's not really valid.

And it also sells newspapers, get viewers to tv, gets people elected etc etc..

A well, this got a bit off topic, sorry for that.

@tadrossi Welcome Michigander! Ran out of reputations today. Sorry. On your negative encounters, what exactly was said?

I carry 99 % of the time but not when riding my NB. Concerned if I were to fall I could have an accidental discharge. Great riding weather! Be safe!

17 hours ago, Xima Lhotz said:

I am sorry that you have to live in a place where you feel you have to bear arms to feel safe, that being said.

You would really kill someone for taking you EU? Its just a wheel with batteries not the cure for cancer. Are you really prepared for the outcome of that?

I can't tell if you are serious or not but (just baring arms I think you are) if someone should take my wheel I would just give it to them and save up for a new one, having no wheel vs possibly taking a life is not a choice for me.

Well, so I had to check.

Combining the years 2007-2014 it's actually less likely to get killed where you live than the national average in America. (Not counting other crimes as these are higher where you live than the national average)

I understand that facts doesn't take fear away and I still feel bad that you have to carry to a gun to feel safe but sometimes the fear is more of a feeling (due to thousands of possible reasons) than reality.

I don't really need to quibble about statistics I live here and grew up here and ride every day.  And in all honestly your post and faulty statistics I find very insulting. Yes I would kill to protect myself or my loved ones or my property. I'm a grown man I would not let my property be taken from me.  I have been prepared for and dealing with that for well over 30 years at this point  think you may need to try another line of questioning. In all honesty your post is down right insulting. The cure for cancer part I really didn't care for. I'm not riding so I can get robbed. And the thugs that roam our streets aren't reading statistics reports. I don't know what the hell you googled. We have 1 of the highest per capita murder rates In MI. I know 2 many people who have gotten killed and know 2 many people who rob people to not take offense to your goofy assed question.  Its not a google search for me I grew up in it.

52 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

@tadrossi Welcome Michigander! Ran out of reputations today. Sorry. On your negative encounters, what exactly was said?

I carry 99 % of the time but not when riding my NB. Concerned if I were to fall I could have an accidental discharge. Great riding weather! Be safe!

Thank you Brother. Great to see someone from MI one here as well. I carry in my backpack and keep the clip separate I actually had those same concerns about accidental discharge that you mentioned.  The threat is real and I cant afford to get caught unprepared for the worse. with that said I just want to enjoy my life and my wheel. Hope it never ever ever comes to that. I just know what's out there. Bless you my MI brother. May you always ride in bliss:D:D:D

8 hours ago, tadrossi said:

honesty your post and faulty statistics I find very insulting.

I found my statistics here: http://www.usa.com/muskegon-mi-crime-and-crime-rate.htm

Im truly sorry I offended you.

That was not my intention at all. I really understand that growing up in one place and reading about it are 2 very different things.

I wish you all the best.

9 hours ago, Xima Lhotz said:

I found my statistics here: http://www.usa.com/muskegon-mi-crime-and-crime-rate.htm

Im truly sorry I offended you.

That was not my intention at all. I really understand that growing up in one place and reading about it are 2 very different things.

I wish you all the best.

Thank You Sir. I also apologize if I over reacted. All my best. . May you always be blessed, And enjoy that wheel.:D

Archived