Hello friends

Im not agree with Groundcrew, my xiaomi mini when have first v1.1.7 and BMS V1.0.3 i win after 50km mileage an unlocking speed up to 18km/h, my max speed was 20km/h,

Now, i have trouble with my new downgrade (1.2.8>1.1.7) i have a BMS V1.1.3 and i can't touch a 20km/h, only a 18km/h

now, last app version modify sounds and bips,,, something change last ride, and i restore factory setting again... but it wasn't like before, now i have more than 670km in my mileage, but it's not like before...

well i try ride carefully slowly during 10 mn, thinking sensors memorize our ride attitude...but no, ,,, i will try to come back to old app version

"you bought a 4G phone and after upgrade you are in 3G" , 

Well, I took the plunge and updated to 1.3.1 - and, for me, all is well.  The average speed for my shopping trip (about 1.5km each way) was practically exactly the same as usual - just under 12 km per hour, which might sound low but it involves some quite slow bits near the shops due to junctions and pedestrians etc.  On the return trip, according to the gps logging software I was running, the trip along the local railway bike path (slightly tippy surface, paved with large concrete slabs with a bit of a bump every metre or so between the slabs, moderate long slope) took 4 minutes and it is exactly a kilometer long (which is handy!) so that bit was 15 km per hour average - there's a few places where I have to slow down a bit, and a family was ambling along near the end so that also required a short section of slowness.  The gps software said the max speed was about 15.8 I think.

Frankly I'm not detecting a definite difference from 1.1.7 (or whatever that number is) - maybe when I pushed the speed hard at one point, it did a slightly more emphatic leanback than before - but then at another point, I noticed three warning beeps but no obvious leanback, as if it was telling me that if I went faster I'd be getting a leanback.  On the return journey I felt really relaxed in my body, really loose.  And I didn't notice much of a problem with my knees moving to the front of the steering pad - perhaps if anything, less of that than before.

So, I'm happily on the latest firmware and the latest app version.  BUT - I get the feeling that a lot of this is pretty subjective, so my experience and yours might differ.  One thing I'm thinking - the more you ride the MiniPro, the more you get used to the speed, and it seems to be slower than you'd expect when actually it isn't.

One thing I should mention - during the upgrade, a message flashed up on the app saying "failed to update main board" or something like that, but then it progressed through to the end, though there was a lot of stuff about "null" scrolling by.  After the update, I checked the version, and it says it's the new version, and I tried to update again just to be sure, and it says I have the latest version - and the reverse beep is switchable now - so there's every indication that the update did actually complete, but I wonder whether anyone can explain the "failed" message near the beginning of the process?

I too did upgrade from 1.2.8 to 1.3.1 last night , all went well, no more back up beeps, will ride this weekend and see how it run.

8 hours ago, Ozpeter said:

One thing I should mention - during the upgrade, a message flashed up on the app saying "failed to update main board" or something like that, but then it progressed through to the end, though there was a lot of stuff about "null" scrolling by.  After the update, I checked the version, and it says it's the new version, and I tried to update again just to be sure, and it says I have the latest version - and the reverse beep is switchable now - so there's every indication that the update did actually complete, but I wonder whether anyone can explain the "failed" message near the beginning of the process?

i get these 3 fails during my downgrade, which of these you get?

1.jpg

3.jpg

7.jpg

Thank you Ozpeter and nbxpq3 for posting your problem-free experiences upgrading to 1.3.1.  It helps to dispel some of the uncertain fears for this latest firmware, especially for new owners like myself.  Rumors and FUD will quickly spread on these boards and to Amazon reviews...

On 19/7/2559 at 5:33 PM, HermanTheGerman said:

For me this is definitely not true.

Of course if you have 1.2.7 or 1.2.8, then 1.3.1 is way better, completely agree, but comparing 1.1.7 and 1.3.1, then 1.1.7 is WAY better!

Driving with 1.1.7 is faster, it has more power going uphill, and most important for me, it does not change driving behaviour from one day to the other.

To recognize that, you must daily drive a lot like I do.

I am meanwhile strongly convinced, when one connects to the Mini and to the Internet, then the current driving parameters are read out, there are some computations on their server, and then the parameters are changed on the Mini.

Yesterday I drove more than 20 km, fast and also often offroad, and nearly close to firmware 1.1.7 behaviour, so that my anger about the device diminished.

Then I connected to the net at home, and looked in my ranking and in the forum, and if there is new software, then I recharged it.

Today I went out for a new ride, and the behaviour was completely different than yesterday, the device tilting back a lot from the beginning, it was very difficult to reach the maximum speed. This way it is also a lot more difficult to steer, because the bar is far more behind your knees than with normal behaviour.

So today I felt quite pissed off.  I definitely do not need a device which changes riding behaviour each day, one day working fine, the next day being like crap.

Imagine what you would do if you buy a car, which on one day has 160 PS, and next day only has 80 PS, dependent on your previous day driving behaviour.

I agree, if the device would have maxspeed of 25 km/h, I would not complain, because this bad behaviour would not be recognizable, I would mostly drive around 20 km/h.

But it does not have this maxspeed, and I'm convinced that it will never get it.

You are right about the uncertain changing in riding behavior of the 1.3.1 which doesn't occur in 1.1.7, but the speed of both version is not different for me, I can reach the maximum speed of 21.9 km/Hr with the 1.3.1 as same as 1.1.7. However, changing in riding behavior for 1.3.1 seems to happen in some day, but not for all of my Ninebot mini, thanks to make me know that this is a result of upgrading to 1.3.1. Anyway, I won't downgrade firmware again because my Ninebot mini used to stop immediately while I was turning slowly, this used to happen twice when I rode with firmware version 1.1.7 and 1.2.8, fortunately I have 10 years experience in riding the Segway and I know how to fall and roll without a severe injury. What will happen if the Ninebot mini turns off while you are standing? If you wanna try, just go on using an old version, but I won't for sure! At least, upgrading firmware to 1.3.1 also upgrading the battery firmware too.       

By the way, I have 9 Ninebots and ride it every day in all weather and road condition, no matter in a very heavy rain, extreme rocky off-road, mud, riding at noon when outside temperature is 42 degree Celsius, 30 degree slope, etc. 

Moreover, I have my friends ride them in order to help me monitor any defection of the 1.3.1 and all of them can't distinguish between the 1.1.7 and 1.3.1 except for riding backward which has no beeping in 1.3.1

Having owned and updated firmware on a couple of 3 different NB models,  Ninebot ONLY updates firmware to protect themselves.   If a firmware slows you down, it's most likely because warranty claims are up perhaps due to burned out mb's or motors.   It's always about money, not your health.     This should mean that as long as the firmware does not brick your unit(has happened),  you should see extended vehicle life.

For those of us that ride the EUC's,  the lean back is part of life.  It's to keep unit from over heating and shutting down. 

I am enjoying 1.3.1 as I find it responsive,  quick and more than enough to get around nicely.    I own a NB P unicycle also as a comparison. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 19.7.2016 at 9:58 AM, MC.TGN said:

Moreover, I have my friends ride them in order to help me monitor any defection of the 1.3.1 and all of them can't distinguish between the 1.1.7 and 1.3.1 ....

First of all I need to say I never had any problems with 1.1.7, I rode with it the first 600 km with my new Mini Pro.

If people can't see a difference between 1.1.7 and 1.3.1, then that's fine for these people, but I see major differences. The device is still lame, and hard to drive on long cruises because it tilts back to much.

But for me I found a solution: I bought a black Kingsong KS16, which is great for my purposes, especially offroad, and am using the MiniPro only for slow city travel anymore.

Maybe that's the usecase it was built for.

4 hours ago, MC.TGN said:

Today I can't connect my Ninebot mini to the App via bluetooth, this case never happened before. Do you have the same problem? 

Hello amigo ;)

Yes sometimes i have problem to connect with my mini too

close app, switch off the mini, in app parameters stop ninebot (not running background) , and restart all

Take care : ninebot app still running in background long time after you closed it, 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2559 at 3:36 AM, Jojo33A said:

Hello amigo ;)

Yes sometimes i have problem to connect with my mini too

close app, switch off the mini, in app parameters stop ninebot (not running background) , and restart all

Take care : ninebot app still running in background long time after you closed it, 

Thanks a lot, it works now :-)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2016 at 9:57 AM, HermanTheGerman said:

You guys might be right.

Maybe I should have bought a Ninebot E Pro with a knee steering stick, it goes 20 km/h and has a range of 35 km: http://www.ninebot.at/ninebot-e/

But it has a severe disadvantage: It weighs 24 kg and is offroad by far not as agile as the Mini Pro (also onroad, but here it doesn't matter as much).

And: it's quite expensive.

For me the MiniPro with 20 km/h would be the ultimate device.

Look e.g. this guy, but it was filmed with firmware 1.1.7, and it's not possible with 1.3.1:

Herman, now I see how you got your flat tires. I've read couple of posts where you state you go offroad often. That's where you got your flat.

I got a flat first time riding off road during a camping trip where I used my Mini Pro to move stuff from my car over off road conditions to my camp site. It was just a small tack pin that punctured a tiny hole but it now leaks enough air overnight that I have to pump up the tire everyday. My tire repair kit arrives tomorrow so I'll hopefully have that fixed tomorrow but it seems so wrong to make a hole that is like 50 times larger than the little pin prick hole I currently have to patch up the tire. I have to drill a HUGE hole first to patch it. :wacko: I don't like that idea!

• 2 months later...

Could someone please furnish me the 1.3.1 update? I'm assuming that's the latest? I have it on my mini pro. I'd like to decompile it and find out where the speed limiter is. I'd like to increase/remove it. Has anyone else been working on this? It can't be all that difficult. I emailed Segway and they confirmed that the limiter is within the firmware.

Please contact me if you could - if you have info. I'm not sure I'll be on here much. I'm at work. I'm at tedpeterson at gmail. Thank you.

The "speed limiter" is there to ensure that the device can balance you under varying circumstances (wind, terrain, slope, rider position and weight, etc etc) and disabling it, even if possible, would probably result in you seriously injuring yourself, or worse.  It's not a matter of electronics, more a matter of the laws of physics.  If you want to go faster, use a faster device from the Segway range which have the appropriate electrical and mechanical design (or an electric bike!).

• 1 month later...

Completed my initial tutorial, and I have just over 2km on the miniPro. Unfortunately it's cool out and my gloves or mitts won't fit over my wrist guards.  I see many (most?) people ride the mini/miniPro without safety gear, but since I'm just starting and already have a wrist injury from something else I figured I better start with using the protective gear.

Looks like my new unit still shipped with 1.2.8 Firmware and I just got the update notice today for some reason when starting the app.  I didn't upgrade yet, but since the device is on 1.2.8 the consensus seems to be to update.   Is 1.3.1 still the latest?  Or is the update maybe a later version?  It didn't tell me what the version of the update was that it located.

• 3 months later...

Archived