Hi, this maybe a good new! The Ninebot has just launched the latest firmware version 1.3.1 and I've finished upgrading just now! However, my new Segway Mini hasn't passed the first 50km yet, so, I don't know if a speed limit will different from the pervious version or not. I will post a result when I try with the others, but at least, there is no more annoying alarm when ride backward! This is after upgrading 

Screenshot_20160705-142528.png

Screenshot_20160705-140946.png

Wow this is great. From the notes it looks like almost all of the major concerns have been addressed or fixed. Mostly I was annoyed by the constant beeping and lean back when going just above 9-10 mph. Now looks like it will only beep and lean back when it detects serious over speed riding.

As long as I don't see a person, who upgraded from 1.1.7 to 1.3.1, jumping around on one foot in excitement, as long I will not upgrade.

It's clear that people are excited, who upgrade from 1.2.8 to 1.3.1, but that doesn't mean much.

On 05/07/2016 at 10:43 PM, HermanTheGerman said:

As long as I don't see a person, who upgraded from 1.1.7 to 1.3.1, jumping around on one foot in excitement, as long I will not upgrade.

It's clear that people are excited, who upgrade from 1.2.8 to 1.3.1, but that doesn't mean much.

:P

it's not really that, in true this person did his first ride on a mini, it's his firts try, he is very happy

I have already updated FW version 1.3.1 to all of my Ninebot mini but they are riden under the first 50km range. So, a speed is limited and beep when I ride faster than 15km/hr. This make me don't know if it will significantly get rid of a beeping and leaning back problem. However, when I ride backward, there is no more beeping, that's a good point. I will use my 400km range to test a new firmware tomorrow and will report here. This is my new Ninebot mini after updating FW to 1.3.1 but it doesn't pass the first 50km yet. 

PhotoGrid_1467712605472.jpg

7 hours ago, HermanTheGerman said:

I gonna show you if it is better than 1.2.8 but if it worst, that's my really big problem because I have already upgrade all my ninebot mini to 1.3.1

On 7/5/2016 at 1:43 PM, HermanTheGerman said:

Wouldn't you much rather see the person zipping around without the damn thing beeping like mad and leaning back trying to slow the user down?  I know I would.

Actually, I wanted to chime in and say that 1.3.1 is definitely worth the upgrade, especially if you were on a firmware prior to 1.2.7 or 1.2.8 and know how the vehicle should behave.  My max is now back to 18 km/h and the device does not attempt to throttle you or beep unless you are really pushing it.

And for what it is worth, I decided to signup for this forum just now so I could give my $0.02 and say the upgrade is worth it.

1 hour ago, 0xD34D said:

Wouldn't you much rather see the person zipping around without the damn thing beeping like mad and leaning back trying to slow the user down?  I know I would.

Actually, I wanted to chime in and say that 1.3.1 is definitely worth the upgrade, especially if you were on a firmware prior to 1.2.7 or 1.2.8 and know how the vehicle should behave.  My max is now back to 18 km/h and the device does not attempt to throttle you or beep unless you are really pushing it.

And for what it is worth, I decided to signup for this forum just now so I could give my $0.02 and say the upgrade is worth it.

Thank you 0xD34D for you feeling it's really good for us to know diferents users feelings (you are with mini pro?)

1 hour ago, Oli said:

I still would like to hear some feedback from someone who came from 1.1.7 . I would test it myself if I would be 100℅ sure I could downgrade again, but I am not.

Hello Oli, i'm actually looking all post about v1.3.1 in the xiaomi chinese forum, like they are all xiaomi modele with 1.1.7...http://bbs.xiaomi.cn/f-439-0-0-0-1225-0-1

- here one said speed limit is 17km/h http://bbs.xiaomi.cn/t-13042812

- here too in coment below the post said speed limit pass from 18km/h to 17km/h http://bbs.xiaomi.cn/t-13040546

On 7.7.2016 at 1:12 AM, 0xD34D said:

It's only worth the upgrade, if you are on 1.2.7 or 1.2.8.

If you are on 1.1.7, you should avoid the upgrade.

I still have no comment from a user, who upgraded from 1.1.7. From all what I have heard until now, you still don't get the power of 1.1.7 back, when you upgrade to 1.3.1.

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Paulandjacquelyn said:

Is the speed on 1.1.7 higher than on future updates?  Or is it just the lean back that is causing an uprising?   I have 1.3.1 but just got the mini so curious why the focus on1.1.7

People say it is, but... honestly, who knows? Mine showed up on 1.2.8 and I immediately upgrade to 1.3.1 and haven't had an issue, personally. 

My Minipro still using FW 1.2.8, when full battery the app said max speed 11.5, can those using FW 1.3.1 let me know what your app show the max speed when 100% battery? And what your felt the difference between two FW? Should I update to 1.3.1?

3 hours ago, nbxpq3 said:

My Minipro still using FW 1.2.8, when full battery the app said max speed 11.5, can those using FW 1.3.1 let me know what your app show the max speed when 100% battery? And what your felt the difference between two FW? Should I update to 1.3.1?

Hello 

V1.3.1 is better than V1.2.8 but V1.1.7 is better than V1.2.8

??????????

Can anyone tell me more details about FW 1.3.1? What changed from 1.2.8?

Hi, sorry for a slow update, I'm extremely busy these weeks and hardly have a chance to run in all my new Ninebot mini. However, two of them that have already passed run in period(50Km) and use 1.3.1 firmware are better than every version I ever used, including 1.1.7 too. About the speed limit, I didn't see any difference between 1.1.7 and 1.3.1 but the 1.3.1 is totally better than 1.2.7 or 1.2.8. The beep sound and speed limit of 1.3.1 is similar to 1.1.7, it still alarm when I ride fast or when the battery level is low, but a good point is when I ride backwards, it won't beep anymore(or you can turn on alarm in the app if you wish).

In conclusion, the latest firmware version 1.3.1 is goo for me who use it as a main transportation in daily life, but I still expect that one day the maximum speed will reach 25km/Hr because 18km/hr is enough for my right now. Thanks

2 hours ago, MC.TGN said:

However, two of them that have already passed run in period(50Km) and use 1.3.1 firmware are better than every version I ever used, including 1.1.7 too. The beep sound and speed limit of 1.3.1 is similar to 1.1.7.

For me this is definitely not true.

Of course if you have 1.2.7 or 1.2.8, then 1.3.1 is way better, completely agree, but comparing 1.1.7 and 1.3.1, then 1.1.7 is WAY better!

Driving with 1.1.7 is faster, it has more power going uphill, and most important for me, it does not change driving behaviour from one day to the other.

To recognize that, you must daily drive a lot like I do.

I am meanwhile strongly convinced, when one connects to the Mini and to the Internet, then the current driving parameters are read out, there are some computations on their server, and then the parameters are changed on the Mini.

Yesterday I drove more than 20 km, fast and also often offroad, and nearly close to firmware 1.1.7 behaviour, so that my anger about the device diminished.

Then I connected to the net at home, and looked in my ranking and in the forum, and if there is new software, then I recharged it.

Today I went out for a new ride, and the behaviour was completely different than yesterday, the device tilting back a lot from the beginning, it was very difficult to reach the maximum speed. This way it is also a lot more difficult to steer, because the bar is far more behind your knees than with normal behaviour.

So today I felt quite pissed off.  I definitely do not need a device which changes riding behaviour each day, one day working fine, the next day being like crap.

Imagine what you would do if you buy a car, which on one day has 160 PS, and next day only has 80 PS, dependent on your previous day driving behaviour.

I agree, if the device would have maxspeed of 25 km/h, I would not complain, because this bad behaviour would not be recognizable, I would mostly drive around 20 km/h.

But it does not have this maxspeed, and I'm convinced that it will never get it.

You are clearly a much more experienced user than I am, Herman, but what you report sounds so much like my experience most days with 1.1.7 - almost always I seem to go much faster coming home than going out, with less difficulty on sideways slopes (there are many round here).  Going out, I am aware of the steering bar getting behind my knees - coming back, I don't seem to have that trouble, even though I am going fast.  Personally I think it is simply that when I use it for the first time in the day, I need to get myself tuned in again to the MiniPro - then later, I am more confident and comfortable with it.  In other words, it's my behaviour changing, not the Segway's. 

Or - it's a matter of slope - going out I am often going down a very gentle slope for about 1.5km - coming back I am going up the slope, and I have found with the MiniPro as well as with a "hoverboard" that control is a little easier when going up a slope rather than down.

But who can tell.  I remain completely torn between upgrading and leaving it alone.

13 minutes ago, Ozpeter said:

Or - it's a matter of slope - going out I am often going down a very gentle slope for about 1.5km - coming back I am going up the slope, and I have found with the MiniPro as well as with a "hoverboard" that control is a little easier when going up a slope rather than down.

That is true, Peter.  Driving downhill I'm more cautious meanwhile than going uphill, because when I had to emergency jump off, that was always downhill until now. :-)

But the Mini changes riding parameters definitely based on parameters it stores and recalculates (there is somewhere in the forum a screenshot of the firmware description where this is mentioned from Ninebot).  Actually it doesn't matter if it happens locally or on their server, it only matters that it happens in a bad way.

When they at least would allow people who, lets say, already drove 1000 km, to set the maxspeed at 20 km/h, that would already help, and I would be satisfied with the device again, because it's a lot better than a hoverboard.

I have responded to many people on the Amazon site who are concerned about top speed and "lean back" and so forth something like this -

- for me, what is important is average speed over a whole journey - compared with a "hoverboard" the Mini Pro might have a lower top speed, but because it can keep going over all sorts of surfaces with constant slowing or stopping or even carrying, the Mini Pro would do the journey faster.  Like the story of the tortoise and the hare (I don't know whether that old story is told in all countries!).

- people here probably understand why leanback is vital, but on Amazon they don't seem to understand the principle of "inverted pendulum".  I point out to them that if there was no leanback, when the user tries to exceed the speed that the Mini Pro can manage, by leaning even further forward, the Mini Pro would not be able to accelerate to balance their excessive lean, and they would lose their balance forwards and have a nasty fall.  By tilting back, the Mini Pro helps to avoid that problem (inability to balance the rider at full speed) and there's no point in fighting it.

- to go at a faster speed, while still retaining the ability of the Mini Pro to deal with obstacles, rough surfaces, and hills, it might be necessary to have larger motors and a bigger battery, and then it wouldn't be a Mini any more.  Or, there would be a risk of the battery and motor life being reduced, and/or range being reduced.  Segway have decided on a balance between all these factors, and we can't be sure that taking everything into account, they have really got it wrong.

If you are really right (I doubt, because there are unicycles with the same weight and safety, which can go 30 km/h and have a range of 50 km), then I need to sell the Mini, because then the Mini is not the right device for me.

The problem is, I like it, because I know how it could behave when firmware 1.1.7 would be on it.

I believe, it's only some big brother pseudo-"safety" policy which is forced on us, instead of letting the people ride self responsibly, and that's a thing I cannot stand.

Herman, you cannot compare a device with 14", 16" or even 18" tire with the mini (pro) with it`s 10" tires.

It is clearly stated everywhere that the max. Speed is 16 km/h or 18 km/h (pro Version). If that is not fast enough for you need to buy another device.

By the way: the Segway is also not faster and the price ins Germany is 9500€ with a weight of almost 50 kg... 

I have 2 different unicycles on a NB mini and a Mini pro, and the mini`s just make much more fun than the unicycles (just my opinion)!

There is also the possibility that Segway still want to fulfill the original dream, that city fathers will permit Segways legal access to footpaths and sidewalks worldwide, and that large numbers of people will glide around with their cars left at home, or using public transport with a Segway to do the first and last mile.  The Mini Pro has more of a chance of being the device to make that dream possibility than previous models, so they are falling over themselves to say to the world "this is safe, it does not go fast, it can stop easily, other pedestrians are completely safe sharing the same space".  Just my theory...

You guys might be right.

Maybe I should have bought a Ninebot E Pro with a knee steering stick, it goes 20 km/h and has a range of 35 km: http://www.ninebot.at/ninebot-e/

But it has a severe disadvantage: It weighs 24 kg and is offroad by far not as agile as the Mini Pro (also onroad, but here it doesn't matter as much).

And: it's quite expensive.

For me the MiniPro with 20 km/h would be the ultimate device.

Look e.g. this guy, but it was filmed with firmware 1.1.7, and it's not possible with 1.3.1:

Archived