Protective Wear Suggestions for EUC Riding

That's kind of like my mesh padded motorcycle jacket.  The inserts and general shape makes you look and feel extra buff.  I wish mine was a little longer around the waist as the back insert makes it even shorter so I don't use that insert.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I like your attitude! :thumbup: Be safe!  You got some great gear! A leather jacket will be a good addition. If you can find one with built in elbow and shoulder protective pads ...even better!

Some of my new safety gear arrived today. The jacket is called a SPIDI Multitech Armor EVO which has some great energy absorption shoulder and elbow protective pads. It also has chest and back panels. The fabric is vented for summer wear.

26810069778_1ce5eabc15_b.jpg

That looks like something for me to buy for the summer...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

That's kind of like my mesh padded motorcycle jacket.  The inserts and general shape makes you look and feel extra buff.  I wish mine was a little longer around the waist as the back insert makes it even shorter so I don't use that insert.

Great to hear! Do you ride with it often?

I going to have my staff take a mold of my left shoulder and humeral region and then make a custom black plastic shell to further protect my arm.

3 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

That looks like something for me to buy for the summer...

It fits well and is comfortable- With all of the ventilation it should be cool in the summer. 

I always ride with it or my fall jacket with a similar design but without mesh.  The mesh is actually too effective so I only wear it in above 15°C weather.  The foam pads are thin and dense, but I think it should do the trick of saving my elbows and shoulders from some damage.  Plus it just looks cool wearing it.  B)  Ya can't forget the coolness factor!

I wonder if you landed on your one elbow mostly which directed all the force up to the humeral head.  Maybe a cushioned elbow pad in your jacket might have helped absorb some of the impact.  I always wear my Hillbilly wrist guards so I'd probably try to use my hands more during a fall.  Hard to say though as it happens so fast I imagine it's more reflex and instinct as to how you take the fall.

I still think it is wise to take a little healing breather until that shoulder heals completely up.  There's no rush to get back on the horse so quickly, but I see that you have a new horse already on the way.  :efef2e0fff:  A cautious congrats on the purchase!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I wonder if you landed on your one elbow mostly which directed all the force up to the humeral head.  Maybe a cushioned elbow pad in your jacket might have helped absorb some of the impact.  I always wear my Hillbilly wrist guards so I'd probably try to use my hands more during a fall.  Hard to say though as it happens so fast I imagine it's more reflex and instinct as to how you take the fall.

My biomechanical engineer background has kicked into full gear ( pardon the pun) and now has me designing specialize custom protective gear.  

The force vectors transmitted from my elbow up to the humeral head cannot be overstated. I was not wearing elbow pads at the time of my accident and even though my left elbow contacted the pavement first it came away unscathed.

My  humeral head along with surrounding muscles and ligaments acted like a shock absorber for my elbow.  The focus now is to take away this shock absorber effect and disperse the forces throughout my entire upper extremity. 

I have ordered this material to experiment with, possibly incorporating it into my new riding jacket and/or custom shoulder protector. 

40646109442_18eaf68621_b.jpg

I’m hoping to disperse the forces evenly throught my arm by fabricating a custom tissue compressing cylinder wrapped around my bicep extending from the elbow superiorly to my axilla ( under the inside of my arm ). The device would also need an elbow extension strut acting like an additional shock asborber. Cosmetic appearance and easy of donning will also be a design consideration. I don’t want to look like robocop. 

Edited by Rehab1
Update
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I still think it is wise to take a little healing breather until that shoulder heals completely up.  There's no rush to get back on the horse so quickly, but I see that you have a new horse already on the way.  :efef2e0fff:  A cautious congrats on the purchase!  

Trust me I am going to be extremely cautious. Thanks for your concerns!

Regarding my purchase I am not sure if it will even come out of the box today. I’m sure my employees mouths will drop when it arrives. My sister in law is one of my secretaries but promised to remain silent. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I like your attitude! :thumbup: Be safe!  You got some great gear! A leather jacket will be a good addition. If you can find one with built in elbow and shoulder protective pads ...even better!

Some of my new safety gear arrived today. The jacket is called a SPIDI Multitech Armor EVO which has some great energy absorption shoulder and elbow protective pads. It also has chest and back panels. The fabric is vented for summer wear.

26810069778_1ce5eabc15_b.jpg

Yeah thats a good pick up. 

I'm borrowing a friends moto jacket for now till mine arrives. 

My dainese jacket is in the post. Defo thinking about something like this for summer (if it ever comes) in London

• Like 2

Great to see a discussion of jacket options!  I've been wrestling with whether to go with elbow pads or to just get a jacket that would offer more protection and actually be easier to put on and take off quickly.  The VPD Spine option from POC is on the list as well as a Leatt 3DF Airfit.  I'm trying to stay as light as possible, but I wonder whether I should make the jump to a motocross leather jacket.  I suspect it would be less expensive than the specialized POC/Leatt gear.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

Great to see a discussion of jacket options!  I've been wrestling with whether to go with elbow pads or to just get a jacket that would offer more protection and actually be easier to put on and take off quickly.  The VPD Spine option from POC is on the list as well as a Leatt 3DF Airfit.  I'm trying to stay as light as possible, but I wonder whether I should make the jump to a motocross leather jacket.  I suspect it would be less expensive than the specialized POC/Leatt gear.  

Think about the summer’s heat when you select a jacket. I wanted something I would wear faithfully and not sweat my butt off but still protect me. This jacket fit my requirements.

Above 22 °C or so you will tend to get a bit sweaty although Rehab1's jacket looks to be more meshy than mine so he should be able to keep pretty cool for the most part.  In Florida with the heatwaves it's probably better to don individual components.  I've been down there in the summer, and man it gets too hot!  :efee96588e:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Above 22 °C or so you will tend to get a bit sweaty although Rehab1's jacket looks to be more meshy than mine so he should be able to keep pretty cool for the most part.  In Florida with the heatwaves it's probably better to don individual components.  I've been down there in the summer, and man it get too hot!  :efee96588e:

it’s gonna be 41 degrees f here in the morning. quit sending ur cold air down here.

stop it. stop it now. me and kitty don’t like it. Bob’s in heaven, no sense.

ya, unlike out west, it’s a steam bath in florida. good hair days for my thin blonde hair though.

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mezzanine said:

I've struggled with adding more protection... A solid 6'3" person (standing 4" off the ground) and rocketing toward you at 20-30 km/h while dressed as the predator may possibly be interpreted as intimidating - and while I want the safety, I am an ambassador for this ridiculous hobby (as we all are) and I want to make it less confrontational.

But I have just received a couple of "casual performance" items from Speed & Strength...  http://www.ssgear.com/usa_english/cruise-missile-armored-hoody.html

Basically a shirt / hoodie with the (removable) armour slotted into internal pouches, and a bit of kevlar thrown in for good measure.

I'm still working out what I think of it all, but so far I can say it is quick to gear up and not at all intimidating...

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

But I have just received a couple of "casual performance" items from Speed & Strength...  http://www.ssgear.com/usa_english/cruise-missile-armored-hoody.html

Congratulations! I think you will be comforable in your new gear knowing you have added another layer of protection. It  is an awesome looking jacket with CE approved elbow and should pads. Be safe buddy. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Siggy said:

Totally understand what you mean about intimidation factor. However, I think safety should be our first concern. Forget what those peasant walkers think ;)

I agree, and always wear some form of protection (but possibly it enough). 

Here in New Zealand these unicycle things are not technically legal - or illegal either. But as that will change at some point  soon, I want to make sure that more people like than don't. And I happen to live in our capital city, you never know which of those peasant walkers is a politician...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mezzanine said:

I'm trying to stay as light as possible, but I wonder whether I should make the jump to a motocross leather jacket.  I suspect it would be less expensive than the specialized POC/Leatt gear.  

I bought a Leatt 3DF back protector on sale under $40. Can't remember exact price, but certain older versions go on sale often. (Leather jackets go on sale less often, but make sense if you ride a moto as well.) Too hot in Florida for leather, but happy with Leatt gear... very flexible and comfortable (not too hot!) B)

IMG_8280a.jpgIMG_8291a.jpg Not me in pics, (but similar build...)

I have sleeveless version of Leatt 3DF (without the neck brace) and use for euc and moto riding. Easy to wear under regular or armored jackets for added protection...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RayRay said:

I bought a Leatt 3DF back protector on sale under $40. Can't remember exact price, but certain older versions go on sale often. (Leather jackets go on sale less often, but make sense if you ride a moto as well.) Too hot in Florida for leather, but happy with Leatt gear... very flexible and comfortable (not too hot!) B)

I have sleeveless version of Leatt 3DF (without the neck brace) and use for euc and moto riding. Easy to wear under regular or armored jackets for added protection...

I really like their equipment although I need at bit more protection. For slow riding this equipment would be perfect. Unfortunately there are no dealerships ( reps) in the US.

Edited by Rehab1

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Sellers. Distributors. Representatives. Not one in the US. Canada has one.

Your new import duties make the cost prohibitive...  :shock2:

Or is it too soon to go there?

• Like 1

On 3/8/2018 at 9:32 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I've struggled with adding more protection... A solid 6'3" person (standing 4" off the ground) and rocketing toward you at 20-30 km/h while dressed as the predator may possibly be interpreted as intimidating - and while I want the safety, I am an ambassador for this ridiculous hobby (as we all are) and I want to make it less confrontational.

Basically a shirt / hoodie with the (removable) armour slotted into internal pouches, and a bit of kevlar thrown in for good measure.

I'm still working out what I think of it all, but so far I can say it is quick to gear up and not at all intimidating...

I didn't know there was protective gear designed to be casual like the stuff you ordered.  I very much agree about the tightrope between appearing like a future soldier and sacrificing safety.  I'm very interested in your continuing thoughts as you get familiar with it.  Great discovery!  It's sparked my imagination and has me looking at function and form differently.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RayRay said:

I was looking closely at their stuff, but figure the four primary contact points are knees and elbows (after wrists) and wonder whether I would find a full jacket with significant back/chest protection extraneous if I'm after a minimalist approach.  Almost ordered one of their helmets, although it was a motocross and I'm hoping to stay with something lighter for MTB.  

Leaning towards knee pads over elbow pads.  

3 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Your new import duties make the cost prohibitive...  :shock2:

Or is it too soon to go there?

I spoke with Trump personally and he assured me that all EUC’s and related gear will not be affected by his new tariffs.  ;) 

• Like 1