Protective Wear Suggestions for EUC Riding

On 7/5/2016 at 1:53 PM, esaj said:

Your brain is sloshing around in liquid inside your skull, it's still likely going to bang against the skull on a sudden stop (head hitting pavement), whether there's a helmet or not. So yes, concussion can still happen, but you have much lower chance of cracking your skull open ;)

EDIT: I don't care that much about looks, still going to go with this:

82-926_l_2_2.jpg

I agree, and it becomes more of a problem as you age, because your brain physically shrinks (I've heard by ~10% by the time you are 65).  In older people, the brain actually rattles around in the skull, and you are much more liable to do real damage when you fall.

I have a Shoei helmet (https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-neotec-helmet) that is like this ... but I've never worn it when riding my EUC (its just to heavy).   With motorcycles you would like chin protection, because you are likely to hit your chin when you fall and skid.  With EUC's you won't be going as fast, but there are many situation that you face plant, because you don't have the forward stabilization of the front wheel on a bike.   I actually like the looks and convenience of these, and maybe if I decide to put my Gotway ACM through its paces, I'll be wearing this type of helmet ... otherwise, it's standard skateboarding stuff.

Edited by Chris Westland
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Nice picks!  I like that hoody.  Very stealth-like.  :ph34r:  I wonder if those pants are bulletproof?  I think @Jason McNeil bought some, but I hear that you sweat ilke crazy in them as they keep the heat in.  And I'm packing loads of heat down there, baby, let me tell you.  :whistling:

The hoodie is quite thick and comfy, except for the back panel which, as I said, can be removed. The HB's jeans are very thick and could potentially be very warm in the summer. The cargo style ones don't seem as thick so might be more ideal. Either way they both look good and offer the protection I wanted.

UPDATE: It appears both pairs of jeans use the same 14oz denim. It may be that the cargo pants style ones being a loser fit don't feel as warm.

Edited by TremF
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, TremF said:

I've settled on kevlar jeans, with removable hip and knee protectors

I just bought and returned this exact pair. The pants were awesome, and I was looking forward using them on my EUC. But the knee pads hung too low on my leg and I couldn't get them altered to fit. They also ran a bit small for me in the waist, I got one size larger than normal and they were still a wee bit snug.

I like the hoodie too.  Can't tell from the pics where the pads go or how big they are though.

Re cost, I feel the same way but bit the bullet on a few items because I think it's a false economy to spend too little on protection and then lose a fortune paying for hospital treatment, plus be unable to work and then lose my job.

I do live in the U.S., though, so the medical costs could be enormous compared to costs in most of the EU.

On 7/17/2017 at 9:13 AM, Rehab1 said:

They do slide on tight until you get past the cheeks. I did need to remove the cheek padding as it was to tight for me. Maybe I just have fat cheeks. 

I used to have the same problem until I stopped storing acorns in my cheeks.  We do have refrigerators these days, you know. :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

I agree, and it becomes more of a problem as you age, because your brain physically shrinks (I've heard by ~10% by the time you are 65).  In older people, the brain actually rattles around in the skull, and you are much more liable to do real damage when you fall.

I've read lots of articles lately talking about a huge range of things that can shrink the brain at any age.  It was all pretty scary.  Two of the big ones that can generate that problem are stress and lack of sleep/interrupted sleep, both of which I have big problems with, and have had for many years.  Now every time I see my mother evidencing mental decline, I wonder when and how much that sort of thing is coming for me.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, who_the said:

I just bought and returned this exact pair. The pants were awesome, and I was looking forward using them on my EUC. But the knee pads hung too low on my leg and I couldn't get them altered to fit. They also ran a bit small for me in the waist, I got one size larger than normal and they were still a wee bit snug.

This is a big problem that is making me hesitate to get clothes with integrated pads.  Reviews on Amazon regularly say you need to buy a different size than you measure at, often one size bigger, sometimes two ... 

8 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

I used to have the same problem until I stopped storing acorns in my cheeks.  We do have refrigerators these days, you know. :D

You store acorns in your fridge?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

I've read lots of articles lately talking about a huge range of things that can shrink the brain at any age.  It was all pretty scary.  Two of the big ones that can generate that problem are stress and lack of sleep/interrupted sleep, both of which I have big problems with, and have had for many years.  Now every time I see my mother evidencing mental decline, I wonder when and how much that sort of thing is coming for me.

Stress, lack of sleep (which is how the brain clears toxins, since it is insulated from the bloodstream), and other things that cause inflammation (including blows to the head) all kill brain cells.  The brain and the heart are the two organs in the body that have electromagnetic communication systems -- doctors listen to these systems via EEGs and ECGs.  Any new cell growth disrupts these systems, and causes seizures and heart attacks, so we don't really get any new heart or brain cells after birth.   The 10% figure applies both to the heart and brain, and is the product of wear and tear that comes with aging.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

This is a big problem that is making me hesitate to get clothes with integrated pads.  Reviews on Amazon regularly say you need to buy a different size than you measure at, often one size bigger, sometimes two ... 

I'm going to review the G-Form gear I recently received as soon as I get chance. Their gear is compression fit so you put it under your regular clothes and as it is basically a second skin the pads do not shift. I got the shirt, board and ski shorts, and elite elbow and knee pads (both motorcycle rated). It is expensive. Probably comparable to the D3O stuff and it uses the same non newtonian type of protection. All items fit well under my work clothes so I expect to just commute in with my stealth protection and just pop in the bathroom when I arrive to remove it.

Here is an interesting concept. A helmet with a brake light that calls 911 if you are involved in an accident (or stuck up on @Marty Backe's  Mountain) The  video below briefly depicts a hoverboard rider using the helmet (sorry no EUCs featured). 

om0au0R.jpg

The main theme revolves around motorcyclists. I like the concept of alerting drivers approaching from behind.

Unfortunately it is Kickstarter funded so hard to say if it will ever make it to market.

Edited by Rehab1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Hansolo said:

The Cosmo's light seems dinky compared to rival Break Free's; but then again "it's more than just a remote light". The Cosmo can text loved one's: "X has suffered a terrible riding accident... Contacting paramedics and Coroner's Office... Visit Y Hospital to assess condition/identify body."

032717-Brake-Free-01-633x389.jpg.0b1196eabf674f50d4156ea62e653ac9.jpg050317-Cosmo-Connected.jpg.1a58cdb88cc695545385632b6dac5773.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Nice find!  That stuff looks pretty cool... and would be great on an EUC/clothes/etc.

https://volvocarslifepaint.com/product/lifepaint/

It does seem to wash off over time though so maybe a coat of clearcoat over top might help with longevity if spraying onto a wheel.

EDIT:  Ew.... reviews don't seem so good...

http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/gear/category/accessories/product/review-volvo-lifepaint-50014/

http://adage.com/article/global-news/grand-prix-gutter-volvo-life-paint-ad-banned/309045/

Maybe this stuff called Albedo 100 is better?  Or not?  Read the reviews...

Non-permanent:

https://www.amazon.com/Albedo-100-Reflective-Invisible-Bright/dp/B00WRNPI50

Permanent:

https://www.amazon.com/Albedo-100-Reflective-Spray-Permanent/dp/B01K7LTSMC

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Nice find!  That stuff looks pretty cool... and would be great on an EUC/clothes/etc.

It does seem to wash off over time though so maybe a coat of clearcoat over top might help with longevity if spraying onto a wheel.

http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/gear/category/accessories/product/review-volvo-lifepaint-50014/

http://adage.com/article/global-news/grand-prix-gutter-volvo-life-paint-ad-banned/309045/

Non-permanent:

Permanent:

They even had paint for horses and pets.  Maybe this Rustoleum would work, they say it works on metal and fabric, but I didn't see where it is invisible in the daylight.  It is a lot cheaper, though.  https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-214944-Reflective-10-Ounce-Spray/dp/B000LNVC1M/ref=pd_sbs_200_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000LNVC1M&pd_rd_r=3DTVHN1CZQ0ZXT73E7FE&pd_rd_w=eVj7M&pd_rd_wg=pjOJP&psc=1&refRID=3DTVHN1CZQ0ZXT73E7FE

11 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Non-permanent:

Permanent:

Volvo lifepaint is basically Albedo 100 rebranded. It's a collaboration between Volvo, Albedo and a British marketing agency.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

l got me some new Fat Unicyclist riding shoes! Well boots actually... 

A lot of riders have trouble with foot pain on longer rides, and there is a number of factors that contribute to this - pedal size, rider weight, riding style, terrain and of course footwear. There is also a bit of discussion just now about ankle protection - both for softening the pressure during riding and preventing injury during an accident (especially if you have snow-spikes on your pedals @Rehab1). 

Unfortunately we can't (yet) just go to a store and get a pair of EUC shoes! 

But what (I think) we need is fairly simple so it should be easy to find something, right? Well not where l live - l have been looking literally for months - but then I do hate shopping, so it takes a while to get my Fat Unicyclist Ass to the mall. 

So, what did I want? 

• Really stiff soles 
  • "Grippy" soles 
  • Higher tops (covering the ankle) 
  • Dressy enough that I don't need to change my shoes when I get where I am going
  • Not white (sorry @Marty Backe - but I live in fear of "Shoe Police Officer @LanghamP")

And on Friday i collected a brand new pair of HI-TEC Altitude VI I WP boots...

altitude-vi-wp-wide-black-o006499-021-ca

But without being tested, this post is just an ad, so I went for a decent ride today, covering about 15km on gravel (which would normally be something I would "notice").

And at the end... No foot-pain at all and no sore-spots on my ankles! They are also very light (so don't make mounting more difficult) and the Michelin soles made it easy to move my feet, but then they stayed exactly where I wanted them.

So, if you're looking for a new pair, consider these Fat Unicyclist endorsed.

I thought that I would need to order them from New Zealand, but fortunately you found something more widely available :thumbup:

It's been a long time since I've ridden wearing anything but running shoes. Going for a 30+ mile ride on the Monster tomorrow. Think I'll try some boots that I have to see if I notice a difference. If so maybe I'll check these out. There're available from Amazon in the States.

Good that they are @LanghamP approved :)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

l got me some new Fat Unicyclist riding shoes! Well boots actually... 

A lot of riders have trouble with foot pain on longer rides, and there is a number of factors that contribute to this - pedal size, rider weight, riding style, terrain and of course footwear. There is also a bit of discussion just now about ankle protection - both for softening the pressure during riding and preventing injury during an accident (especially if you have snow-spikes on your pedals @Rehab1). 

Unfortunately we can't (yet) just go to a store and get a pair of EUC shoes! 

But what (I think) we need is fairly simple so it should be easy to find something, right? Well not where l live - l have been looking literally for months - but then I do hate shopping, so it takes a while to get my Fat Unicyclist Ass to the mall. 

So, what did I want? 

• Really stiff soles 
  • "Grippy" soles 
  • Higher tops (covering the ankle) 
  • Dressy enough that I don't need to change my shoes when I get where I am going
  • Not white (sorry @Marty Backe - but I live in fear of "Shoe Police Officer @LanghamP")

And on Friday i collected a brand new pair of HI-TEC Altitude VI I WP boots...

altitude-vi-wp-wide-black-o006499-021-ca

But without being tested, this post is just an ad, so I went for a decent ride today, covering about 15km on gravel (which would normally be something I would "notice").

And at the end... No foot-pain at all and no sore-spots on my ankles! They are also very light (so don't make mounting more difficult) and the Michelin soles made it easy to move my feet, but then they stayed exactly where I wanted them.

So, if you're looking for a new pair, consider these Fat Unicyclist endorsed.

Those are awesome! I see they are waterproof. Are they puncture proof as well? Hate to void the warranty standing on spiked pedals.  ;) They would protect your feet and ankles from any wild EUC dance.

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

In my view, there should be no expense spared when it comes to safety gear. 

Particularly as were on one wheel and any malfunction or large pothole can practically take you out. 

It's that element of danger which I think I enjoy most, but I don't actually want to fall - if that makes sense - it's like a tightrope. 

Got a full face helmet, BMX knee pads, knee pads for my inner shins and am currently looking for a motorbike race style leather jacket to go along. 

i think this is essential for central London commuting. 

i can't remember who said it but EUC riding is somewhere between inline skating and moto biking. Gotta be prepared

* also am looking into heated gear as well for those night time commutes! Every little helps when the wind is in your face

Edited by Siggy
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1