Protective Wear Suggestions for EUC Riding

Good to see people (looking at you @Rehab1) wearing eye protection while riding. Maybe it's just my area, but even wearing eye wear, I still get things flying into my eyes from the side like dust or small bugs.  It's so annoying.   I don't know how people ride without wearing something over their eyes.

I get so many bug hits plus they fly into my ears that I think I should be putting in ear buds just to keep them out.  I had a bee strike me in the upper chest and get caught in my jacket.   It was buzzing mad until I lifted the jacket open so it could fly off.  :o

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I just receive my new Bell helmet with face protection. Very comfortable and it even has a Gopro mount on top! 

QQ3m9Kv.png

Which model is this? I have a Bell 3R being delivered tomorrow and a Giro Switchblade delivered last Friday. I'm going to compare and see which I like better.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Which model is this? I have a Bell 3R being delivered tomorrow and a Giro Switchblade delivered last Friday. I'm going to compare and see which I like better.

I have the Bell Super 3R MIPS. I really like the adjustability. They do slide on tight until you get past the cheeks. I did need to remove the cheek padding as it was to tight for me. Maybe I just have fat cheeks. The pads are designed to be removed. Interested to see your Switchblade. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Good to see people (looking at you @Rehab1) wearing eye protection while riding. Maybe it's just my area, but even wearing eye wear, I still get things flying into my eyes from the side like dust or small bugs.  It's so annoying.   I don't know how people ride without wearing something over their eyes.

Bugs!! It must be a Canadian thing!   :)Sunglasses are for the sun. For bugs you might consider these.

3S0v4Sx.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Pard said:

That is a perfect helmet for EUC riding.  I have one as well.  

It does not block your view, very light weight,  very comfortable with excellent ventilation.

Should slide off a faceplant easily.

Awesome! I am not alone. I do feel more confident knowing it will protect head and face without some big gaudy shield obstructing my vision. I also like the ventilation aspect.

:lol:  It's usually on the pathways through green spaces where there's a lot of vegetation/ponds that seem to be teeming with flying bugs of all varieties.  I get hit laterally by bugs that seem to go right in the ears.  With the Hillbilly gloves on it's hard to get them out.  Thankfully nothing has gone inside. :blink:  I have a full face helmet that I don't use as it just feels so enclosed with the shield down. Might have to reconsider it.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:lol:  It's usually on the pathways through green spaces where there's a lot of vegetation/ponds that seem to be teeming with flying bugs of all varieties.  I get hit laterally by bugs that seem to go right in the ears.  With the Hillbilly gloves on it's hard to get them out.  Thankfully nothing has gone inside. :blink:  I have a full face helmet that I don't use as it just feels so enclosed with the shield down. Might have to reconsider it.

Thankfully when I ride at the local parks their is minimal infestation. I've seen employees at the parks always spraying for mosquitoes. I'm sure it also has an effect on other bugs as well. I wonder if they see your colorful Flame coming they immediately go into attack mode.:) Time to go black!

53 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I get hit laterally by bugs that seem to go right in the ears.  With the Hillbilly gloves on it's hard to get them out.  Thankfully nothing has gone inside.

You could cut the gloves and make them half fingered.  Wouldn't be good in cold weather though.

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

You could cut the gloves and make them half fingered.  Wouldn't be good in cold weather though.

After you cut them off, you could add zippers around each finger... Then you could add and remove them anytime you wanted. :D

• Upvote 1

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:13 PM, Rehab1 said:

I have the Bell Super 3R MIPS. I really like the adjustability. They do slide on tight until you get past the cheeks. I did need to remove the cheek padding as it was to tight for me. Maybe I just have fat cheeks. The pads are designed to be removed. Interested to see your Switchblade. 

I'm still trying out the Bell vs the Giro so my opinion may change but at the moment I think the Giro is a clear winner for me in most areas.

The removable chin guard is much more refined on the Giro (+ve) and a hell of a lot easier to take on and off while wearing the helmet, but when removed the remaining helmet on your head is much larger for the Giro (-ve). This is a bummer as I'd like to use the helmet minus the chin guard for my bicycle. This might work with the Bell here in hot humid Florida as the remaining Bell helmet is much smaller. The Giro feels considerably more solid (+ve) but that is to be expected as it is Downhill rated, however this solidness means that for me the only way I can put the Giro on my head is to do so with the chin guard removed so there is some flex in the front of the helmet (-ve). Even then I feel like I'm pulling my ears off. I have swapped out the pads in the chin guard of the Giro for thinner ones but just now found thinner pads for the cheek area too so maybe this will help. Like you I removed the foam inserts from the chin guard on the Bell. This made it much more comfortable to wear and slightly easier to put on and take off.

I'll do a full "first impressions" thread when my thoughts are more gathered about the two and I have made a decision which one to go with.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

The Giro feels considerably more solid (+ve) but that is to be expected as it is Downhill rated, however this solidness means that for me the only way I can put the Giro on my head is to do so with the chin guard removed so there is some flex in the front of the helmet (-ve). Even then I feel like I'm pulling my ears off. I have swapped

Not sure how the Giro is constructed. For safety reasons the Bell's exoskeletal frame is inherently designed to produce small fracture fissures upon impact so the material on the Giro might feel more rigid. If you do have an impact with the Bell helmet you are suppose to destroy it afterwards.  Sounds weird but it's like a car's airbag that is designed to cushion the impact by transmitting the forces over a wide area but then requires replacement after the accident.

Edited by Rehab1
  • Upvote 2

On 7/17/2017 at 3:01 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:roflmao: I need to wear this over my head:

388371045_585.JPG

Finally we get to see a photo of you! You look so much different than I imagined.:)

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Not sure how the Giro is constructed. For safety reasons the Bell's exoskeletal frame is inherently designed to produce small fracture fissures upon impact so the material on the Giro might feel more rigid. If you do have an impact with the Bell helmet you are suppose to destroy it afterwards.  Sounds weird but it's like a car's airbag that is designed to cushion the impact by transmitting the forces over a wide area but then requires replacement after the accident.

The Giro is the same, destroy after impact, but I'm sure construction is stiffer to meet what tests are required for the downhill certification and because less is removed from the ear and cheek area when the chin bar is removed. The Giro is about 200g heavier than the 3R I believe so that weight had to be doing something. The POC Coron was suggested by another member as an example of a lid capable of withstanding multiple smaller impacts without loss of integrity. Shame it is $450 and more importantly not well vented (which I get as it is for snowboarding). That uses different construction  materials to achieve this.

A Giro concern I thought of last night is that if I am incapacitated due to injury will EMS realize to remove the chin guard to remove the helmet. They will have a hard time otherwise, especially if they suspect next or spinal injury.

12 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I've seen some crash jackets described the same way, as a sort of one-and-done.  Extremely expensive if you crash a lot, so they might perversely be a bad option for beginners.

• Upvote 1

Phone protective cases.  Who uses one?  I recently picked up an Otterbox case for one of my iPhones, and it's pretty good.  It came with a screen protector, and it was easy to get the phone inside the case.  I do find the plastic shell a little too slippery as it would be better with some more rubber flat spots.  If I place the phone with case on a sloped surface it goes sliding like a slip 'n slide.

http://www.otterbox.com/en-us/iphone-6-6s/commuter-series-case/apl4-amp600.html#start=2

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love

I got an inexpensive one for my inexpensive Amazon Alcatel phone.  People say the Otter boxes are great, but they weren't available for my model.  I would have been happy to pay more for the case than the phone if the case were a good one.  

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I ordered the Hillbilly wrist support gloves last week, and today received the parcel:

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.c5dcf6a0135b8b973b14c499319e4f25.jpg

I can TOTALLY see why some people feel they don't have enough support.

Ha ha!  I have never seen a baby penguin costume before!  

5 hours ago, steve454 said:

Ha ha!  I have never seen a baby penguin costume before!  

Wanna buy one? Unopened package, new product, very high quality!

We laughed so hard my wife's stomach was hurting. Can't wait to hear the seller's response.

• Upvote 2

With my recent accident (no control over a wheel cutting out) I started to look into gear but don't really fancy obvious elbow and knee pads and as the D30 gear I'd like is a bit out of my budget at the moment I decided to look into other, less obvious, gear.

I've settled on kevlar jeans, with removable hip and knee protectors -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00X2COV5S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_Du5EzbGEH3267

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E2TLGEY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_sv5EzbYX3BPPG

and a hoodie with removable elbow, shoulder and back protectors -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KMM77NI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_vw5EzbFGZWZ0P

I haven't had them out on a ride yet but tried them on today and they are all very comfy except for the back protector in the hoodie which I may remove. All can be worn with or without the protection and look quite good.

I haven't settled on any wrist guards yet and I'm still looking at helmets. I'm thinking of a full face helmetwith removable chin bar BUT after seeing the Airwheel C5 posted earlier I'm tempted by that for the bluetooth audio and built in photo/video recording. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01L9T7F62/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_OD5EzbT8Y0KT5

• Upvote 2

Nice picks!  I like that hoody.  Very stealth-like.  :ph34r:  I wonder if those pants are bulletproof?  I think @Jason McNeil bought some, but I hear that you sweat ilke crazy in them as they keep the heat in.  And I'm packing loads of heat down there, baby, let me tell you.  :whistling:

• Upvote 1