Hunka Hunka Burning Love

Protective Wear Suggestions for EUC Riding

167 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Good to see people (looking at you @Rehab1) wearing eye protection while riding. Maybe it's just my area, but even wearing eye wear, I still get things flying into my eyes from the side like dust or small bugs.  It's so annoying.   I don't know how people ride without wearing something over their eyes.

I get so many bug hits plus they fly into my ears that I think I should be putting in ear buds just to keep them out.  I had a bee strike me in the upper chest and get caught in my jacket.   It was buzzing mad until I lifted the jacket open so it could fly off.  :o

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I just receive my new Bell helmet with face protection. Very comfortable and it even has a Gopro mount on top! 

QQ3m9Kv.png

Which model is this? I have a Bell 3R being delivered tomorrow and a Giro Switchblade delivered last Friday. I'm going to compare and see which I like better.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Which model is this? I have a Bell 3R being delivered tomorrow and a Giro Switchblade delivered last Friday. I'm going to compare and see which I like better.

I have the Bell Super 3R MIPS. I really like the adjustability. They do slide on tight until you get past the cheeks. I did need to remove the cheek padding as it was to tight for me. Maybe I just have fat cheeks. The pads are designed to be removed. Interested to see your Switchblade. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

24 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Good to see people (looking at you @Rehab1) wearing eye protection while riding. Maybe it's just my area, but even wearing eye wear, I still get things flying into my eyes from the side like dust or small bugs.  It's so annoying.   I don't know how people ride without wearing something over their eyes.

Bugs!! It must be a Canadian thing!   :)Sunglasses are for the sun. For bugs you might consider these.

3S0v4Sx.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pard said:

That is a perfect helmet for EUC riding.  I have one as well.  

It does not block your view, very light weight,  very comfortable with excellent ventilation.

Should slide off a faceplant easily.

Awesome! I am not alone. I do feel more confident knowing it will protect head and face without some big gaudy shield obstructing my vision. I also like the ventilation aspect.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:lol:  It's usually on the pathways through green spaces where there's a lot of vegetation/ponds that seem to be teeming with flying bugs of all varieties.  I get hit laterally by bugs that seem to go right in the ears.  With the Hillbilly gloves on it's hard to get them out.  Thankfully nothing has gone inside. :blink:  I have a full face helmet that I don't use as it just feels so enclosed with the shield down. Might have to reconsider it.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:lol:  It's usually on the pathways through green spaces where there's a lot of vegetation/ponds that seem to be teeming with flying bugs of all varieties.  I get hit laterally by bugs that seem to go right in the ears.  With the Hillbilly gloves on it's hard to get them out.  Thankfully nothing has gone inside. :blink:  I have a full face helmet that I don't use as it just feels so enclosed with the shield down. Might have to reconsider it.

Thankfully when I ride at the local parks their is minimal infestation. I've seen employees at the parks always spraying for mosquitoes. I'm sure it also has an effect on other bugs as well. I wonder if they see your colorful Flame coming they immediately go into attack mode.:) Time to go black!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

 I get hit laterally by bugs that seem to go right in the ears.  With the Hillbilly gloves on it's hard to get them out.  Thankfully nothing has gone inside.

You could cut the gloves and make them half fingered.  Wouldn't be good in cold weather though.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steve454 said:

You could cut the gloves and make them half fingered.  Wouldn't be good in cold weather though.

After you cut them off, you could add zippers around each finger... Then you could add and remove them anytime you wanted. :D

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:roflmao: I need to wear this over my head:

388371045_585.JPG

Well it certainly seems to have made him happy. I might have to buy one just to forget my cares, bug related or otherwise!

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:13 PM, Rehab1 said:

I have the Bell Super 3R MIPS. I really like the adjustability. They do slide on tight until you get past the cheeks. I did need to remove the cheek padding as it was to tight for me. Maybe I just have fat cheeks. The pads are designed to be removed. Interested to see your Switchblade. 

I'm still trying out the Bell vs the Giro so my opinion may change but at the moment I think the Giro is a clear winner for me in most areas.

The removable chin guard is much more refined on the Giro (+ve) and a hell of a lot easier to take on and off while wearing the helmet, but when removed the remaining helmet on your head is much larger for the Giro (-ve). This is a bummer as I'd like to use the helmet minus the chin guard for my bicycle. This might work with the Bell here in hot humid Florida as the remaining Bell helmet is much smaller. The Giro feels considerably more solid (+ve) but that is to be expected as it is Downhill rated, however this solidness means that for me the only way I can put the Giro on my head is to do so with the chin guard removed so there is some flex in the front of the helmet (-ve). Even then I feel like I'm pulling my ears off. I have swapped out the pads in the chin guard of the Giro for thinner ones but just now found thinner pads for the cheek area too so maybe this will help. Like you I removed the foam inserts from the chin guard on the Bell. This made it much more comfortable to wear and slightly easier to put on and take off.

I'll do a full "first impressions" thread when my thoughts are more gathered about the two and I have made a decision which one to go with.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

The Giro feels considerably more solid (+ve) but that is to be expected as it is Downhill rated, however this solidness means that for me the only way I can put the Giro on my head is to do so with the chin guard removed so there is some flex in the front of the helmet (-ve). Even then I feel like I'm pulling my ears off. I have swapped

Not sure how the Giro is constructed. For safety reasons the Bell's exoskeletal frame is inherently designed to produce small fracture fissures upon impact so the material on the Giro might feel more rigid. If you do have an impact with the Bell helmet you are suppose to destroy it afterwards.  Sounds weird but it's like a car's airbag that is designed to cushion the impact by transmitting the forces over a wide area but then requires replacement after the accident.

Edited by Rehab1
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2017 at 3:01 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:roflmao: I need to wear this over my head:

388371045_585.JPG

Finally we get to see a photo of you! You look so much different than I imagined.:)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Not sure how the Giro is constructed. For safety reasons the Bell's exoskeletal frame is inherently designed to produce small fracture fissures upon impact so the material on the Giro might feel more rigid. If you do have an impact with the Bell helmet you are suppose to destroy it afterwards.  Sounds weird but it's like a car's airbag that is designed to cushion the impact by transmitting the forces over a wide area but then requires replacement after the accident.

The Giro is the same, destroy after impact, but I'm sure construction is stiffer to meet what tests are required for the downhill certification and because less is removed from the ear and cheek area when the chin bar is removed. The Giro is about 200g heavier than the 3R I believe so that weight had to be doing something. The POC Coron was suggested by another member as an example of a lid capable of withstanding multiple smaller impacts without loss of integrity. Shame it is $450 and more importantly not well vented (which I get as it is for snowboarding). That uses different construction  materials to achieve this.

A Giro concern I thought of last night is that if I am incapacitated due to injury will EMS realize to remove the chin guard to remove the helmet. They will have a hard time otherwise, especially if they suspect next or spinal injury.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't trust any helmet that has suffered a real impact. Not the POC, nor a MC-helmet. Not when my brain is the thing protected, I kind of like it.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Not sure how the Giro is constructed. For safety reasons the Bell's exoskeletal frame is inherently designed to produce small fracture fissures upon impact so the material on the Giro might feel more rigid. If you do have an impact with the Bell helmet you are suppose to destroy it afterwards.  Sounds weird but it's like a car's airbag that is designed to cushion the impact by transmitting the forces over a wide area but then requires replacement after the accident.

I've seen some crash jackets described the same way, as a sort of one-and-done.  Extremely expensive if you crash a lot, so they might perversely be a bad option for beginners.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now