Protective Wear Suggestions for EUC Riding

7 hours ago, Smoother said:

Here's a picture of my pretend Chinese fighter pilot helmet.  As you can see I'm not EUC ing. It's lost in history now, only to be remembered  in this one photo.  I think I paid less than $20 but that was 12 years ago.

e839a645a0.jpeg

That's my new favourite 'Oh shit I'm flying!' face :) 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Ombre said:

I'm a ATGATT rider (All The Gear All The Time) and I notice that a lot of the other guys who identify as being over 40 do the same.  Probably we've all realized by now that we are breakable, and those injuries we got playing football or skateboarding in our 20s still hurt.

But I still hate putting on all the gear just to go for a quick ride.  So I got this motorcycle hoody from Revzilla (who I recommend too).  Just throw it on and I've got elbow, shoulder, and back protection all in one.  Add a helmet, knee pads, and wristguards and I'm done.

I think shoulder protection is one of the things most overlooked by EUC riders.  I see a lot of videos where guys land hard on their shoulder (there's one posted on this board somewhere) and breaking your clavicle is pretty painful.

The CE-rated motorcycle armor really works.  I hit the ground at low speed on a motorcycle and took all the impact in my hip and shoulder.  With full gear on, I got up and walked away without even a bruise.

Revzilla hoodie.jpg

Yip, i like this on, too!

Also to get here on Amazon for Europe:

https://www.amazon.de/Motorfiets-jas-met-capuchon-bescherming/dp/B00JIB9PT4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1481645821&sr=8-5&keywords=motorrad++hoody

or in black:

https://www.amazon.de/Kapuzenpullover-Hoodie-für-Motorrad-Fahrer-Protektoren/dp/B00IHN18ZS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3EWYHZBXYTS84ZDJTCR4

For wearing under a normal jacket, for this Price a real bummer:

https://www.amazon.de/German-Wear-Protektorenjacke-Motorrad-Schwarz/dp/B004COVVR6/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1481646003&sr=1-2&keywords=motorrad+protektorenjacke

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an interesting illuminated fibre optic light vest light that might help night time visibility.  I saw chooch tech (guy who plowed through deep snow on his Ninebot) mention it.

https://www.amazon.com/Tracer360-Revolutionary-Illuminated-Multicolored-Weatherproof/dp/B00GI98ZFO

• Upvote 2

As some of you know I use Ice Hockey shoulder pads for upper body protection which is an alternative to the stuff you get for moto and motox which can be heavy and movement restricting.  These kinds of protection are designed for riders who wouldn't necessarily be moving about too much riding a motorbike and who would suffer from larger impacts due to the fast speeds they can reach. 

Other Armour types you should consider are those for US football and also lacrosse.  They are generally light weight and very little restriction to movement.

• Upvote 3

@Ombre  6 minutes ago I posted this reply to @rdalcanto post on his fall and injury....

"Sorry to hear of your problem.  No advice here,never owned a Ninesquat.  

Observation: So much for the sale to Mr. Chicago ☹️

Quote me: " there are only two types of EUC riders those who have had an injury or three, and those who haven't - yet" welcome to the club. ?

Question: where are your fecking wrist guards? Rick!"

ignoring the Ninesquat reference, and the mr. Chicago reference, and the Rick reference, I can use it to reply to you too.  Also sorry for you injuries.

knees and wrists always gets it worst, and yes, gravity works very very quickly.  We don't notice it from one month to the next, but slip up and it sucks us down so fast, we have no time to react.  Well, we react, it's a reflex reaction. our nervous system sticks our hands out automatically, even before the brain gets the message, like when you step on a thumb tack in bare feet, your legs jerks off it instantly.

someone posted recently, parcor techniques for safe falling. I thought it was cool, and interesting, but now I have my doubts it would help in most EUC falls.  My reasoning is: in parcor the need to roll out of a forward fall, is, for the most part, predetermined by the action that came before it, e.g. A long forward jump, that cannot be stuck safely on two feet.  But in an EUC fall, the fall is usually thrust upon us, with no warning, and therefore, no, prior plan of action.  - wheel hits uncrossable, unseen speed bump, rider is not prepared to fall, rider instantly on ground with damaged wrists.-

if you've ridden more than 10k , you've hit at least one "oh shit, I didn't see that bump/hole/stitch/Rock", etc.  99%of the time we flail our arms around and survive. It's that 1% that puts us on the ground.  And it's the presence of ATGATT that decides if it's an "well that was interesting" event, or an " well, don't just stand there, call for an ambulance!" Event.

thanks for the shoulder pads, tip.  I'm going to get one of those MC hoodies you use.

Edited by Smoother
Clarity
  • Upvote 1

On 1/1/2017 at 1:06 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Here's an interesting illuminated fibre optic light vest light that might help night time visibility.  I saw chooch tech (guy who plowed through deep snow on his Ninebot) mention it.

71D70EewhFL._SX522_.jpgAwesome safety vest! Almost ran over my neighbor last month jogging in the dark! He could use one! Great light effect for @Jonathan Tolhurst wannabes!

Edited by Rehab1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

With my Gotway ACM16 I'm constantly trying to find good protections without being seen. I've found G-Form Pro X pads for knees and elbows[1], but a good solutions for the wrists doesn't seem to exist? I'm soooo tired of velcro that never stick. Also, I'd want a pair of these[2], but again, stuck on finding wrist guards that allow for them.

Oh, and Bragi The Headphone is excellent when on the wheel ;-)

[1] http://g-form.com/shop-sport/skate
[2] https://zackees.com/

Cheers,
Nafallo

• Upvote 2

On 7/3/2016 at 2:34 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

That Bell helmet looks awesome. I wonder though whether during a faceplant if the chin guard might deflect the head sideways twisting the neck.  It does look springy though so it might just squish inwards absorbing forces.

I've seen some Dianese jackets on AliEx, and they have some cool looking designs. Duhan also has some winning styles.

The shin bars are usually flexible 

On 1/7/2017 at 6:30 PM, Ombre said:

What happens when an ATGATT rider becomes an "Some of The Gear, Most of The Time" rider?

I was feeling pretty confident, having gained some skills over the past six weeks including going down stairs and curbs, traveling on congested sidewalks, rough terrain, etc., and I have never fallen down so lately I've been skipping the knee pads and wrist guards.  I just slip on my motorcycle hoody (pictured in Dec 13 post above) and hit the road ...

But of course then today I really HIT the road.  I was looking to the right and didn't see a steep little unpainted speedbump.  BAM! I went down so fast I was skidding on my unprotected palms before I knew what happened.  Normally I'd instinctively just run off the wheel but today it happened too fast to react.

Result: Two badly scaped palms, one bruised and scraped knee, a nice bruise where my wallet was.  Not too bad but enough to remind me to wear my gear.  Had I been wearing it, this would have been a non-incident.  Since I wasn't wearing it, I won't be able to ride for a few days.

But it could have been much worse.  When I got home and took off the hoody I saw from the scuffs and dirt that I had also landed on my shoulder.  The shoulder protection built into the hoody completely absorbed the impact, to the point that I didn't even know I'd hit there.  I hate to think of the pain I'd be in right now if I had skipped that protection too.

That is exactly the concept. It will happen no matter the skill level. its all about pounds per square inch. those little plates will distribute the force over a large surface area. Making the difference from ripping your skin apart, breaking a bone or dislocating a shoulder. Using the armor allows you to walk away and keep riding like nothing happen.

• Upvote 1

On 1/8/2017 at 9:00 AM, Chuts said:

Something else which is overlooked is footwear.  These are what I currently wear.  They are biker boots with molded plastic shields for the outer toe side and shields for the Achilles heel area.

Lever strap tightening mechanism so I don't need to deal with shoe laces and Velcro wrap near the ankle area.

DSC_0276.png

Those aren't the boots you really want. THESE are the boots that allow you to survey a post-nuclear wasteland while astride your solar-powered EUC.

Icon-FABoot-pair.jpg

• Upvote 2

due to recent events I thought I chime in ;)

my (now crash approved) knee guards

elbow guards (almost risked an amazon strike in my quest to find the ultimate elbow guards for me)

actually when it's not too hot I wear both ergonomic roller blade guards
and thin gloves for enhanced skin protection

the equip above saved me today. ^^

as for the perfect EUC helmet - I havent found it yet. :huh:
my MX helmet is waaaay to heavy, so for now I will use a cheap SixSixOne downhill (fullface) which 
 weighs slightly less and is well-ventilated. But I'd prefer an even lighter one.

I recently bought a Cratoni C-Maniac which I returned in a matter of seconds.
You will loose your teeth doing a face plant with a direct hit on the so called "chin guard".    

If you know of any ultra light weight helmets with effective chin guard I'm all ears. :wub:

When it comes to safety, don't let the price decide the purchase!

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Spark said:

If you know of any ultra light weight helmets with effective chin guard I'm all ears. 

How about an american style football helmet, you can get them with different styles of faceguards, from minimal for kickers and receivers, to maximum for linemen.  But they all will protect the chin area.  Might not look that cool for an EUC rider, though.  Probably one of those fighter pilot helmets with the chin strap would look cool, someone posted photos on the forum of one.  Search helmets.

• Upvote 1

:w00t2:  Look what Santa AliExpress brought me early this year!!!!  They are so cool!   Quality-wise they are just okay.   No arch support, but they are fairly soft and comfortable.  I wear size nine, and they fit true to size. $28 CDN delivered.  I should be plenty visible during low light hours...

014335a768.jpg

Now I just gotta learn me some sick dance moves...

01909c9b9d.jpg

Edit:  One criticism is that is it hard to reach the on/off/mode switch inside where the USB charging port is.  You can simply press on the outside of the shoe to toggle modes, but it needs to press against your foot.  The switch also presses slightly against the side of the foot too.  I might need to add some padded Moleskin to cushion it.

It comes with a Y splitter USB to dual mini-USB B connectors which allow charging both shoes simultaneously.  The shoes flash red while charging and turn green when done.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:w00t2:  Look what Santa AliExpress brought me early this year!!!!  They are so cool!   Quality-wise they are okay.   No arch support, but they are fairly soft and comfortable.  I wear size nine, and they fit true to size. $28 CDN delivered.  I should be plenty visible during low light hours...

014335a768.jpg

01909c9b9d.jpg

Edit:  One criticism is that is it hard to reach the on/off/mode switch inside where the USB charging port is.  You can simply press on the outside of the shoe to toggle modes, but it needs to press against your foot.  The switch also presses slightly against the side of the foot too.  I might need to add some padded Moleskin to cushion it.

Coincidentally, I've been practicing shuffle stepping. I'm an enthusiastic Charleston and Lindy Hop dancer, and so shuffle dancing is pretty easy to learn. I've never seen it here in the USA. Not once.

Berliners seem to do it more, but they also prefer Balboa and collegiate shag...

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:w00t2:  Look what Santa AliExpress brought me early this year!!!!  They are so cool!   Quality-wise they are okay.   No arch support, but they are fairly soft and comfortable.  I wear size nine, and they fit true to size. $28 CDN delivered.  I should be plenty visible during low light hours...

014335a768.jpg

01909c9b9d.jpg

Those are some funky EUC riding shoes!  Flat soled and with the lights built in!  They look great on your custom ninebot.

Edited by steve454
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...