Hunka Hunka Burning Love

Protective Wear Suggestions for EUC Riding

172 posts in this topic

Wow those are pricey!  But in hindsight, after adding up the cost of all the garbage purchases I have made I probably could have splurged for some quality items from the get go.  I seem to be in the buy cheap buy twice or thrice category of purchasers.  :(.

Lesson learned!  Most of those cool looking knee protectors on AliEx are pure crap!  They only look good in photos, and it's just like velcroing some thinly padded pieces of cheap plastic on.  Sigh...

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have any good tip for glasses? I have issues with most (sun-)glasses that they limit my field of vision and even the "frameless" are not as comfortable. I'm basically looking for something to keep bugs, flies and other airborne creatures out of my eyes (preferably also nose & mouth but I don't want to wear scuba gear :D).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HEC said:

Anyone have any good tip for glasses? I have issues with most (sun-)glasses that they limit my field of vision and even the "frameless" are not as comfortable. I'm basically looking for something to keep bugs, flies and other airborne creatures out of my eyes (preferably also nose & mouth but I don't want to wear scuba gear :D).

Not cheap but I have these and they are brilliant! :) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A9F1X6Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

About The Brand
Uvex has been developing innovative personal protective equipment since the company was founded in 1926. The majority of products are manufactured in Germany and elsewhere in Europe. Uvex aims to give everybody the best possible protection - for sports, leisure or in the workplace. 

Key Features 

  • Variomatic Lens Technology
    Automatically tints itself in response to variable light conditions, so you don't have to change lenses
  • Supravision
    Lenses feature special surface treatment that ensures clear, fog-free vision even in extreme temperatures
  • Adjustable Soft Nose Pads & Earpieces
    Comfortably soft yet dimensionally stable for non-slip, pressure-free wearing comfort and perfect fit
  • 100% UVA, UVB & UVC Protection
    Provides total protection for your eyes from harmful UVA, UVB and UVC radiation
  • Removable Sweat Blocker
    Can be clipped to the top of the frame to reduce sweat running down the lens
Edited by TremF
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TremF said:

Wow! Those are indeed a bit pricey and while I wouldn't mind paying higher price for superb product it's hard to purchase something like this online without being able to test it in advance as I struggle with most of the glasses as they seems to put too much pressure on my head resulting in unpleasant feelings / headaches :( Thanks for the tip. I'll try to see if any of the local stores carry those ...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, thefork said:

take a look at Bliz. Alot of professional bicyclists (and I) use them.

http://www.blizeyewear.com/products/active

Yeah I was looking at those in Naturkompaniet however the only ones (by design / shape) I like are Velocity XT (and maybe also Tempo) as I look for "one piece" lens model and those are not Vario. Actually none of Bliz I saw seems to be ...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, thefork said:

@HunkaHunkaBurningLove take a look at Bliz. Alot of professional bicyclists (and I) use them.

http://www.blizeyewear.com/products/active

Edit: Sorry HunkaHunkaBurningLove, I of course meant @HEC

:ph34r:  If you start writing about me in your diary, I'm gonna be just a little concerned.  I know I'm on your mind, but stop thinking about me.  It just won't work out.  I've been promised to Kate Upton, and I'm in the middle of a torrid love triangle between her and Candice Swanepoel.  Although I have yet to find out the name of the cad who knocked Candice up, I suspect it's someone with a name that rhymes with DuperDorp. 

Edited by HunkaHunkaBurningLove
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wear Dainese jeans. They look and feel like normal jeans but they have the special Dainese armor in the knees that solidifies and protects during impact.

The cost was $250 & the are made in Italy.

I also ride a motorcycle, and Dainese are considered to have some of the best gear. Great quality workmanship and safety.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got very similar gloves except with mine the Velcro straps on one started coming off.  I had to sew it back on.  I found Duhan jackets are generally very good quality on AliEx.  I've also seen some nice Dainese items.  I might have to look into getting some padded pants, but those jeans look a little too tight.  My "junk" likes some breathing room.  B)

With the gloves and protective jacket I feel a lot more secure when riding. The summer gloves and mesh jacket allows wind to pass through so they aren't as hot as people might think.  In fact when the weather is cooler I need to switch to my windproof padded jacket as the mesh one gets too cold and isn't waterproof.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also like to find good protect to my wrist. MC gloves and what you have in your pictures are not. They are for motorcrossbike driving ahead of you and against that  stones coming from that. We need protection under our hands (when we fall). I have  not found good ones. (I can be 100% wrong too, sorry)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Pasi said:

I also like to find good protect to my wrist. MC gloves and what you have in your pictures are not. They are for motorcrossbike driving ahead of you and against that  stones coming from that. We need protection under our hands (when we fall). I have  not found good ones. (I can be 100% wrong too, sorry)

I purchased from rollers, have a look

http://shop.roces.com/gb/helmets-and-protective-gear.html

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

I've got very similar gloves except with mine the Velcro straps on one started coming off.  I had to sew it back on.  I found Duhan jackets are generally very good quality on AliEx.  I've also seen some nice Dainese items.  I might have to look into getting some padded pants, but those jeans look a little too tight.  My "junk" likes some breathing room.  B)

With the gloves and protective jacket I feel a lot more secure when riding. The summer gloves and mesh jacket allows wind to pass through so they aren't as hot as people might think.  In fact when the weather is cooler I need to switch to my windproof padded jacket as the mesh one gets too cold and isn't waterproof.

Duhan has perfect price/quality/power ratio for me.

Komine padded jeans are perfect. If I bend my knees or need to bend forward - has inserted stretch parts. And I installed braces for more comfort of my belly :)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice!  Did you get the Arc Reactor T-Shirt yet?  :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-America-3-The-Avengers-Tony-Stark-LED-Iron-Man-T-Shirt-Sound-Activated-/191560130423

The bigger shield is great for deflecting bugs in the summer time.  I think it might be removable.  I guess depending on where you roll and how fast you are going there are a lot of insect impacts if you don't have a face shield.  I bought a half helmet that Vespa riders use, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.  On one hand I don't want to be eating bugs, but on the other hand I don't want to draw too much attention from people wondering why I have this moped helmet on.  It's a conundrum.

Edited by HunkaHunkaBurningLove
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

On one hand I don't want to be eating bugs, but on the other hand I don't want to draw too much attention from people wondering why I have this moped helmet on.  It's a conundrum.

The bigger conundrum is that you're worried if people pay attention to you because of a helmet, while you're levitating past them on a single wheel that seems like magic to people who have never seen one. :P

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:lol:  I'm all about the style.  I've been using my skateboard helmet, but it doesn't really go with my motorcycle jacket that well.  Neither does the Vespa one or my cycling helmet.  Decisions decisions.... I did order some bells to warn people that I'm approaching.  I could swear people can hear the hum of the Ninebot as I'm creeping behind them, but whoa I scared this one lady as I was trying to sneak by.   I did say excuse me quietly so as not to frighten her, but she had a bit of a startle!   If I were to wear my Vespa helmet with full face shield I wonder what the reactions would be... :blink:  I usually pass people at just slightly faster than walking speed, and it's pretty casual.  I might give them a nod as I roll by.  It's probably pretty funny to watch from a third person vantage point.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Nice!  Did you get the Arc Reactor T-Shirt yet?  :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-America-3-The-Avengers-Tony-Stark-LED-Iron-Man-T-Shirt-Sound-Activated-/191560130423

The bigger shield is great for deflecting bugs in the summer time.  I think it might be removable.  I guess depending on where you roll and how fast you are going there are a lot of insect impacts if you don't have a face shield.  I bought a half helmet that Vespa riders use, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.  On one hand I don't want to be eating bugs, but on the other hand I don't want to draw too much attention from people wondering why I have this moped helmet on.  It's a conundrum.

Yes i have been using the bigger shield basically all the time and all the way down, looks real cool. People have been telling me i look like robocop, iron man, tron, etc. it has a fantastic effect on people when i pass them buy. Combined with the lights on the helmet and the wheel and the music, the effect is phenomenal. 

Why do you have to show me all these links?! I have no will power. Now i have to buy this t shirt!!!! Crazyyyyyyyyyy

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gonna give someone a heart attack with that outfit, esaj!  :blink:

2 hours ago, Cloud said:

Why do you have to show me all these links?! I have no will power. Now i have to buy this t shirt!!!! Crazyyyyyyyyyy

Oh... oh no reason no reason.  ^_^  Don't forget your Ebates cashback rebates!  :D

4842514-sw+(25).gif

Edited by HunkaHunkaBurningLove
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@HunkaHunkaBurningLove is a full fledged evil mastermind, no doubt :)

I just adjusted the lights on my iron man/ tron helmet again, see below. They also blink at 2 different speeds, and since i have two independent circuts there now of red and orange, there is a variety of blinking pattern i can get...

 

wryjd2.jpg

73o3uh.jpg

 

 

Edited by Cloud
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive bought these knee and elbow guards and i am very happy. They are not super cheap but not too expensive either. The knee guards are secured above and below the knee and finally are not sliding off. They look good and feel great too and the size is just right for me, not too small like most chinese gear. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272151207575?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=570962347199&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

 

Edited by Cloud
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing the link for those.  What's the padding like on them?  The ones I bought have very thin pads like about 3-4 mm thick so it wouldn't cushion an impact that well.  They also have this cheap plastic hinge with plastic rivets that pop out so they are basically useless.  I haven't bothered using them.  Did you get the D with elbows?  They look better than the C.

I was looking at some Duhan motorcycle pants on AliEx like @ESBU posted.  I might just get a pair of those as they have some kneepads you can add in I think.  Too bad they don't come in fancy "InMotion V8" pants patterns.  :lol: I usually wear my padded jacket so my arms and elbows are protected.  Luckily I haven't kissed the ground yet, but you never know right?  The pants might be good too since they are rain proof.  I got caught in a rainstorm today, and that was not fun.  My pants and gloves were soaked through.  

The worst part are the swiggly ruts the rain leaves in wet gravel that you accidentally slide into or over.  I also slid a bit braking down a hill a la EUC Extreme style, and I knew instantly what he meant by braking failure going down a hill!  Darn iPhone fingerprint reader also doesn't work in the rain!

I did get a photo of the "steep hill" I tackled last time and again today.  Today even with the rain it actually wasn't as bad as the first time, maybe because I knew I could make it up this time.  It was only a 8% grade according to my app!

Pffft it doesn't look very steep at all actually, but it felt pretty steep going up so slowly over the loose gravel... It's way in the distance there.  You can't see it, but it's raining pretty bad at this instant.

image.jpg

 

Edited by HunkaHunkaBurningLove
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The padding feels very nice, but i dont know what its called. It has too layers of padding over te knees. , one about 3-5 mm thick, and the other is even thicker, pretty nice padding but not overly thick. However what will protect you is not the padding, its the plastic cup which will serve as a spring and damper the impact. The rivets are metal. Yes i got D with elbows, they look great.

2ezr346.jpg

2cn9jy0.jpg

4smlvs.jpg

 

 

 

Edited by Cloud
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now