About the only problem I'm finding in using the Mini Pro is the risk of it running away on its own if you dismount unexpectedly.  Or if you don't keep a hand on it after an intentional dismount.

I've been experimenting with attaching a tether - actually a lightweight dog lead - to the top or bottom of the steering post, which I can have in my hand if I'm in a situation where it would be particularly unfortunate if the Mini Pro escaped - for instance, on a hill next to a major road, where the Mini Pro might end up in the traffic.

Has anyone else got any ideas or thoughts on this?  Of course with any tether you have to be sure that you wouldn't get entangled in it in an accident and perhaps make matters worse.

It would be useful to have an optional "dead man's handle" mode, which would apply the lock mode ("no alarm lock mode") as soon as there was no rider aboard.  I notice that in this mode the wheels only turn with difficulty.  The device stops self balancing, but it would be better to have it stop itself and fall over than to have it running away into people or traffic.

There have been several discussions on the forum regarding this. Several options were discussed, but  I dont believe a universal solution was reached in terms of tethering an euc.

however, mini pro should be different, i would think it is perfectly feasible to have some kind of brake system kick in once the rider is off the wheel. It would need to be calibrated so that the brakes dont kick in during short term jumps off the curbs, etc

• 2 weeks later...

After my first 5 miles.. I decided to put a 14" tether or leash on my mini for all the reasons on previous posts. It also helped as a learning aid until I mastered the lean steer.

I only tether when I am close to water/on a dock, never trust 'it wouldn't happen to me'... I use basically a 'leash' and do a half hitch with loop to the top and then tie to belt. Only two times I had to jump off the front of the mini, I hit a driveway ramp across a sidewalk going too fast, and during a night ride there was a section of sidewalk the some how lifted 5 cm from the last time I went over it...

• 9 months later...

This is what I used while learning. It won't tangle because it retracts into the handle on a spring. The thing is, I never had a runaway and have never fallen off, so I never used it.

FullSizeRender.jpg

1 minute ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

Put a self destruct mechanism. And then buy a EUC. 

I have an EUC and while it's more fun, I think I prefer the MiniPro because it can do more.

On 6/28/2016 at 4:23 PM, Ozpeter said:

About the only problem I'm finding in using the Mini Pro is the risk of it running away on its own if you dismount unexpectedly.  Or if you don't keep a hand on it after an intentional dismount.

It sounds like it is not balanced correctly.  If it is factory stock, you have no worries.  if you have added even a small amount of weight to it, bye bye MiniPro:cry2: I saw a video where someone added a taller than stock steering bar, and when the rider fell off, the Mini went coocoo!:shock2:  Run, catch it!

20 hours ago, Mike P said:

I have a disability. Just received my Minipro and installed handlebars and kickstand. What is best way to dismount and not have a runaway?

When you dismout, don't let go of the MiniPro until you have powered it off. Otherwise the weight of the handlebar may make the MiniPro drive forward.

Something else you can try is to go into settings in the app and adjust the balance assistance mode setting so that it does not drive away when you're not holding it. I don't know if it can be adjusted enough that it will not roll away with the weight of the handle bar, but it's worth trying.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

hello! i found a low profile effective way to make it not run away there is this little reflector near the back of the steering stick there is a little fixing hole for it on top if you cut away the reflector(i overdid it) then you can put a little wire through the hole i pointed a green arrow on the hole so you can see where it is and then i just attached a retractable keychain to the wire perfect!

(i drilled my hole to fit a bigger wire)

wp_ss_20171016_0002 (2).png

blur-636437454906380389.jpg

Archived