Rockwheel GR12 battery pack

^tom^

Does anyone know what battery-pack the Rockwheel GR12 has inside?

(one or two at what wh)

Or can I split them, so I get those on the plane?

I am still looking for a solution for my US vacation do have a good wheel over there

Thanks for your answer Sunny.

148wh would be possibile to take to the airplane. Sounds at the moment to perfect to be true!

Do you have a pic from a open GR12, so I can see what you are talking about?

(If I take away the silicon pads just to check I have to glue them after I removed them)

if your charger is 58.8V,then it is 259wh with 28cells of battery.The 296wh is 32 cells.

​ah, good to know thanks!

So my 28 cells are two blocks with 14 cells each and with 130wh each?

I heard a rumor that the RW12 can take the 16 cell pack without frying.  I think Austin did this but I am not sure if he did other modifications to facilitate this.  I've seen a few "special edition" Rockwheels on taobao that advertise a higher voltage, and I suspect from the larger pack.  I think this has to shorten your useful life, but might be fun while it works.

​ah, good to know thanks!

So my 28 cells are two blocks with 14 cells each and with 130wh each?

​I would like to have some technical informations about the cells are in this packs, because there is nothing written on it and I do not have any tech sheet about the batteries Rockwheel used.

@tom

your 28 cells are arranged as a 14S2P pack (2 paralleled cells, then 14 of those in series)., it's how they are connected, it's a classic arrangment, look it up by google. As to the cell itself, all you need to know is the manufacturer name and the capacity in Ah then consult tables.

@tom

your 28 cells are arranged as a 14S2P pack (2 paralleled cells, then 14 of those in series)., it's how they are connected, it's a classic arrangment, look it up by google. As to the cell itself, all you need to know is the manufacturer name and the capacity in Ah then consult tables.

​Thanks so far, but I am not a electro tech freak and maybe it is enoug the explain any security checkpoint at the airport I have

"28 cells are arranged as a 14S2P pack (2 paralleled cells, then 14 of those in series)" isnt it allowed to got with it?

I do not think it will work this way.

I need to inform "Lufthansa" how many and how many wh those batteries have I have to take with my as Carry on Luggage.

I can carry 2 pieces of batteries (per person) with a maximum of 160wh each.

There is nothing written at the pack (what I see) and so I need some infos to write this at the pack and PLEASE no maybe things because I like to take the plane and my vacation!

I openend the case now (because I still get not the answer I need) and now I am not sure can I split the two packs electronicly so I have two packs with a max. of 160wh to travel with it arround the globe und easy put all together to drive the wheel.

Did I not write all in my first post what I need to know and also why?

This fancy wheel do not have screws just to remove, no first you need to remove the pads and they have glue on it.

​Thanks so far, but I am not a electro tech freak and maybe it is enoug the explain any security checkpoint at the airport I have

"28 cells are arranged as a 14S2P pack (2 paralleled cells, then 14 of those in series)" isnt it allowed to got with it?

I do not think it will work this way.

I need to inform "Lufthansa" how many and how many wh those batteries have I have to take with my as Carry on Luggage.

I can carry 2 pieces of batteries (per person) with a maximum of 160wh each.

There is nothing written at the pack (what I see) and so I need some infos to write this at the pack and PLEASE no maybe things because I like to take the plane and my vacation!

Best would be if Sunny Rockwheel could provide you something you can printout and glue/somehow fix on the battery pack - so that it looks official! 

A Certificate, that the Battery Pack passed UN3480/3481 Subsection 38.3 could also be helpful - if Sunny could provide it. (i.e. http://www.vivax-assist.com/global/pdf/Testverfahren/vivaxUNTestAkku85Ah.pdf ). But i do not know if this is really necessary for carry on luggage or only if you have the batteries as air cargo for shipment. So for the international shipments Rockwheel should need to have such a certificate (this is imho the reason why the eucs have bms with short curcuit protection...;( )

For this point only someone from Rockwheel can help you - or you gamble and design your own label (there are enough photos of spare akku packs from other manufacturers)... ;(

I openend the case now (because I still get not the answer I need) and now I am not sure can I split the two packs electronicly so I have two packs with a max. of 160wh to travel with it arround the globe und easy put all together to drive the wheel.

​You are not sure? Is it one big sealed pack - then you presumably cannot divide it. If they are two sealed packs with a cable connection you can cut the cable an put an appropriate connector inbetween. You have picture of it?

Edit:

PS: I assume you do not want to invest money in two new akku packs? If Sunny cannot provide you labels and certificate the safest way for you would be to order two akku packs from a local "Modellbaushop/Akkuhändler" with everything officialy labeled and certified.

Maybe at such a shop it is also possible to get a battery pack with swapable single akku cells? If this exists, fits into the rockwheel and is feasable (which i honestly doubt ;( ) you would not have any problems - imho one can take unlimited single cells on the plane.

You are not sure? Is it one big sealed pack - then you presumably cannot divide it. If they are two sealed packs with a cable connection you can cut the cable an put an appropriate connector inbetween. You have picture of it?

Edit:

PS: I assume you do not want to invest money in two new akku packs?

There are two packs, but I can not see if there a plug between those packs. I have to remove them only to see if or not.

The question also would be: If are two packs, can I am leaving them together (for carry on) or do I have to seperate them.

I do not like to re-wire the wheel because I like to sell it after my vacation.

For the same reason I do not like to buy any additional new packs.

According to http://www.flughafen-zuerich.ch/~/media/FlughafenZH/Dokumente/Passagiere_und_Besucher/Abflug_und_Ankunft/Gefahrgutvorschriften-DE.pdf you have to have the "Genehmigung des/der Luftfahrtunternehmen" anyhow before you fly...

For this permit you are dependend on Sunny/Rockwheel  for the label for the battery packs. Or you fake them and try it out...

The security officers should not let you pass controls with "noname" battery packs and no permit... Or at least you would need good luck to pass security.

There are two packs, but I can not see if there a plug between those packs. I have to remove them only to see if or not.

If you get the labels (?and certificats?) thats the next step. Since you are no "electro tech freak" i suppose you need to organize someone, who can make you the rewiring/put connectors to separate the battery backs.

The question also would be: If are two packs, can I am leaving them together (for carry on) or do I have to seperate them.

I would not risk it, to go with connected packs. If they are connected you practicly have one pack with to much Wh. But in the end you will be dependent on the good will of the security officer... ;( So not really a choice for you...​ But since you need to get the permit from Lufthansa anyhow you could clarify it with them?

Chriull: THX for your help!

Newest version I may take:

I can Check in my wheel with batteries inside no matter how many wh it is.

AS

Mobility Aid Device.

How ever I will do it, I have the aproval from the carrier and the carrier does say what is going on and not the security check point.

My item will be specially marked and stored they told me.

"Rollstühle oder andere batteriebetriebene Fortbewegungshilfsmittel mit Nassbatterien oder mit Lithium-Batterien" are IATA conform because EU is clearly a mobility device!

BUT they also need the this certificat you listed:

(i.e. http://www.vivax-assist.com/global/pdf/Testverfahren/vivaxUNTestAkku85Ah.pdf ).

and in case I do not have it I have to write somthing by myself, that it is all like the UN test etc........

So at the moment I will be very happy to go with my Super18 across the OBX! I am not sure if I come back with it so easy, but the depart airport on the way back has Lufthansa Check In Desks, so everything hopefully goes smooth.

Great news! Seems like i will change to lufthansa once my euc is delivered - the reseller alredy told me that the dertificate is included ?

​Sounds good.

Are you talking about the UN battery certificate?

Great news! Seems like i will change to lufthansa once my euc is delivered - the reseller alredy told me that the dertificate is included ?

​What EU did you order?

​What EU did you order?

The Ninebot One E+​ ... and already waiting since a month - supposedly it is the first delivery to Germany/Austria now... But my brother let me try his E to slowly get some practice ;)

​Sounds good.

Are you talking about the UN battery certificate?

Yes. And the reseller told me, that he never had problems once he showed it - but i did not ask with which Ninebot modell he travelled...

• 8 months later...

Archived