THE FUTURE OF THE ELECTRIC UNICYCLE

Nuo Meng

When High Fashion and The Electric Unicycle are on the catwalk together, then we'll know we're finally mainstream.

Everyone may not think this is a positive thing, but it will mean we might see more of us on the streets around us - and that's a good thing! I'd love to not be the only one riding an electric unicycle in my suburb of town.  Being part of this new evolution of personal green transportation is exciting, and the future can only bring better and safer innovations to the world of EUs.

Ride your EU like you're on the Catwalk!

(this picture is a concoction of my imagination using public pics off the internet - I apologize for any copyright infringements)

EU and fashion.jpg

I ride my EUC like I'm a wanted criminal breaking the law - that is, cautiously and on the look out for police.  You might be careful too as someone else in BC (British Columbia) got a $600 fine and court appearance for riding on a sidewalk.  I don't know what the police would charge for riding one on a catwalk!

@HunkaHunkaBurningLoveIs there a specific law in BC stating that riding EUCs on footpaths is illegal?  Or did the unfortunate 'someone' get charged under 'electric vehicles' are not permitted to drive on footpaths legislation?

I have ridden past police here in Perth, Australia but only had quizzical looks from police. I am unaware that there is any EUC specific legislation anywhere in Australia.

I don't know the specifics, but here's the post by @musk:

I checked my province's laws, and I believe they would likely lump EUC's in with Segways, electric two wheeled scooters, etc regarding sidewalks, roadways, and pathways.  There is no mention of EUCs, but I think they would fall under the "Small Vehicle" category.  I don't know it they need to be specifically mentioned to have laws applied to them, but to get a $600 fine without a warning first they must feel it's pretty clear cut.

Technically speaking road hockey is also prohibited on public streets, but I guess that's okay with the cops.  Maybe I need to carry a hockey stick while riding and say I'm looking for the puck it went somewhere down this way... B)

reference:

http://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registration/specialty-vehicles/Low-powered-vehicles/Documents/low-powered.pdf

page 19: http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType41/Production/small_vehicle_booklet_final.pdf

hockey: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/neighbor-calls-police-on-kids-playing-street-hockey/

1 hour ago, hyiu00 said:

How about making a Bond movie with him riding unicycle trying to escape machine guns firing from drones on the street of NY.

Daniel-Craig-Spectre-007-James-Bond-Suit-Style-Picture-002.jpg

Bond - as usual - Calm under fire!

(thanks hyiu00 - great idea. I noticed your avatar name ends in double 0 - are you a secret agent?)

Bond- calm  under fire.jpg

But to think carefully about it, it would be more convincing to the audiences if Bond use it during a gun fight in a hotel corridor since that would better exemplify the true advantages of euc's - quiet, handsfree, and can zip around narrow corners.  He would probably be holding two guns in his hands and doing jumps on top of the euc while shooting with both hands.

On the other hand, a powerful motorcycle is probably more appropriate in an open street gun fight.  

@HunkaHunkaBurningLove decided to Google for local laws and this was as close to relevance for EUCs in Western Australia:-

Foot-scooters in WA are allowed on footpaths and local roads, and must have a bell or horn fitted. The rider must wear a helmet.

On a divided footpath, the scooter must use the cycle lane, not the pedestrian lane.
[We mostly have 'dual use' footpaths!]

On local roads, these scooters are allowed in speed zones of 50kph or less, on the condition that they are not capable of exceeding 10kph, and have a motor of no more than 200watt.

So, the 9BE+ with 500 W motor doesn't comply - consequences are unknown at this stage.   Most non urban roads are 60 kph;  10 kph limit for EUCs - WHAT!       I'm not inclined to check with the Police in case it stirs up negative responses! When in public I do hold a bike bell more because pedestrians don't stay off the center of the footpath than the legal requirement which up until now, I was ignorant of!!

ELECTRIC UNICYCLES - HOW CAN WE MAKE THEM STREET LEGAL?

Where I live in Vancouver British Columbia, Canada, there are no laws written that specifically govern the use, or non-use of the Electric Unicycle. The closest ruling I could find is this Motor Assisted Cycle Regulation, written in 2002. If confronted by the authorities I plan to use this documentation as my defense, although it was not written with EUs in mind. 
(In a more recent ICBC - Insurance Corporation of British Columbia - publication it states "A motor-assisted cycle is a two or three-wheeled cycle with a seat, pedals and an electric motor." This is not stated per se in the Motor Vehicle Act attached, and so it cannot disqualify the electric unicycle...in my way of thinking!)

I've been seen many times riding on the roadway and on the sidewalks by the local police, but only twice (by the same policeman) have I been warned that I should be wearing a helmet. So far I've been lucky, probably because I'm the only person they've ever seen on an EU, but I expect one day in the future to receive a much more severe penalty. We shouldn't have to be in constant fear of being fined for riding a piece of technology that's so new they don't know how it should be regulated.

Do you have any suggestions on how we can present a united front for making the Electric Unicycle street legal around the globe?

(Admittedly, this is a first-world problem, but hey, I don't wanna end up doing jail time for riding on the sidewalk!)

ICBC Motor Assisted Cycle.jpg

I hope @musk replies to this thread about his experience.  If he's not doing jail time that is.  :huh:  Sorry to be the raincloud on anyone's parade, but according to that low powered vehicle law PDF I posted it appears that self-balancing boards are on the list so self-balancing unicycles likely would be grouped in that category as well.  If it's not specifically mentioned, can you get away with riding it?  That I don't know.  The letter of the law can be pretty specific in some cases, but a good defense might be able to rely on that which is not specifically mentioned.  Maybe?  Maybe I'm watching "Suits" too much.

To play devil's advocate, some rules are good in that they prevent people from zooming around at 45 KPH on the sidewalk around toddlers and the elderly.  Got an electric ATV?  Let's go driving all over the public roads and sidewalks with it!  Woo hoo!  Um nope.  There has to be some civil control of how roads and sidewalks are used for public safety.  On the other hand, I see adults riding their bikes on sidewalks all the time as it would be hazardous to ride on the main road with cars zooming by.  They aren't killing or harming anyone for the most part.  With our small form factor EUC's I wish they would make an exemption, but I have a feeling that they won't.  Luckily though they aren't that common so hopefully we can get away with it for a little while longer. 

I would put on a helmet or else you might get on the bad side of that cop who might think you're not a compliant citizen so you deserve a fine.  Let's set a good impression for the police that we aren't looking for trouble.

@Nuo Meng your question "Do you have any suggestions on how we can present a united front for making the Electric Unicycle street legal around the globe?"

Here in Australia its best to keep a low profile - under the radar - because overreaction by the law is not uncommon. Banning is always an easy option for lazy lawmakers!

However, I am interested in what ideas you and other EUC riders on this forum suggest.

On June 14, 2016 at 8:42 PM, Nuo Meng said:

When High Fashion and The Electric Unicycle are on the catwalk together, then we'll know we're finally mainstream.

Everyone may not think this is a positive thing, but it will mean we might see more of us on the streets around us - and that's a good thing! I'd love to not be the only one riding an electric unicycle in my suburb of town.  Being part of this new evolution of personal green transportation is exciting, and the future can only bring better and safer innovations to the world of EUs.

Ride your EU like you're on the Catwalk!

(this picture is a concoction of my imagination using public pics off the internet - I apologize for any copyright infringements)

EU and fashion.jpg

Now there is a sight for sore eyes! ?

I am not concerned about EUC street legal laws or tightening of restrictions, The short time I have belonged to this forum tells me volumes about the EUC community and how it conducts itself with honor and respect towards others. We are always polite with each other on the forum and extend those traits to those we encounter daily on the street. The more we educate our communities, politicians and law enforcement officials about the ECU community and it's core values while continually presenting ourselves with honor and dignity on the road.....recognition and acceptance of the EUC Community will flourish rapidly. In my opinion the EUC Forum should consider the implementation of a 'Mission Statement' that would specifically define our community's core beliefs and safety values.

6 hours ago, AlanR said:

@Nuo Meng your question "Do you have any suggestions on how we can present a united front for making the Electric Unicycle street legal around the globe?"

Here in Australia its best to keep a low profile - under the radar - because overreaction by the law is not uncommon. Banning is always an easy option for lazy lawmakers!

However, I am interested in what ideas you and other EUC riders on this forum suggest.

Actually, I was just wondering the same question when I was reading start of this thread.

Because these are now legal in Finland, the best way to help these become legal also elsewhere is to ride where the tourists are. They take pictures and spread the word. They might start questioning  : Why is it legal in Finland but not in our country? There was no chaos in Finland, no dead pedestrians, no dead unicyclists? Isn't our country as advanced than Finland ( that communist country full of quiet drunk people :)

BTW, I wrote to Finnish Mensa article about unicycles and how fast it is to learn. To prove it I took a pupil and one hour to teach him. I'm not saying how it went, no peeking :)

On 6/15/2016 at 2:28 PM, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

I hope @musk replies to this thread about his experience.  If he's not doing jail time that is.  :huh:  Sorry to be the raincloud on anyone's parade, but according to that low powered vehicle law PDF I posted it appears that self-balancing boards are on the list so self-balancing unicycles likely would be grouped in that category as well.  If it's not specifically mentioned, can you get away with riding it?  That I don't know.  The letter of the law can be pretty specific in some cases, but a good defense might be able to rely on that which is not specifically mentioned.  Maybe?  Maybe I'm watching "Suits" too much.

To play devil's advocate, some rules are good in that they prevent people from zooming around at 45 KPH on the sidewalk around toddlers and the elderly.  Got an electric ATV?  Let's go driving all over the public roads and sidewalks with it!  Woo hoo!  Um nope.  There has to be some civil control of how roads and sidewalks are used for public safety.  On the other hand, I see adults riding their bikes on sidewalks all the time as it would be hazardous to ride on the main road with cars zooming by.  They aren't killing or harming anyone for the most part.  With our small form factor EUC's I wish they would make an exemption, but I have a feeling that they won't.  Luckily though they aren't that common so hopefully we can get away with it for a little while longer. 

I would put on a helmet or else you might get on the bad side of that cop who might think you're not a compliant citizen so you deserve a fine.  Let's set a good impression for the police that we aren't looking for trouble.

In BC the definition of "Motor Vehicle" is very broad.  If something has a motor and transports a human, it is legally "motor vehicle" unless legislation is written that specifically gives it a pass.  This is the case with "Motor-Assisted bicycles" which have been specifically carved out in law as being acceptable as long as they meet a bunch of specific requirements about motor power and other things.  For example, a MAB can only have an electic motor to be eligible.  If it has a gas engine, you're not within the definition MAB and magically convert into a "motor vehicle".

EUC's, Segways, and anything relevant to this forum don't have special exclusions in law and therefore are treated like a car if you meet a cop that's in the mood to ticket you or needs to fulfill his monthly quota.  The fine I received is for "operating a motor vehicle on a highway without insurance", which is a giant $600 ticket just the same as if I were driving a car without insurance.  The only way I can hope to win in court is the fact that I was riding on the sidewalk.  "Highway" has a legal definition in BC and includes private parking garages and anywhere a car might normally go, but I don't think it probably includes sidewalks.  I've talked to 5 traffic section officers and none of them know whether a sidewalk is technically a "highway", so I have to ask a judge to interpret the law.

Remember, officers in BC (and most places) have a role.  Normal downtown city cops are not "traffic section" cops.  They don't care about EUC's because they are mostly cool (in Vancouver) and have their priorities in order.  Conversely, traffic section cops are ticket writing revenue-generating robots.  If they are in ticket writing mode, you can be sure they'll use you to quickly meet their quota.  For a traffic section cop, a schlubby EUC rider is a lazy target vs stopping a car with tinted windows on a busy highway.  If you live in a smaller neighborhood the chance of meeting a traffic cop might be reduced since it may not be specifically patrolled for traffic infractions.

I hope you win your court case.  Were you wearing a helmet and were there any pedestrians on the sidewalk at the time?  How fast were you going?  I'm surprised the police would want to add your case into the court system as you would think they have more serious infractions to deal with.  Do they also stop electric skateboarders, give them a $600 ticket and send them to court too?  I wonder what would have happened if you had a group of people like the Seattle riders rolling down the sidewalk.  I guess they would have had to ticket everyone?  I wonder if it would help by mentioning that you were trying to save the environment by lessening your carbon footprint by riding your EUC and taking one car off the road to relieve traffic.  Is that such a harmful thing to be doing?  I guess it depends on what mindset the judge is in.  Hope they just toss the case out.  I hear sometimes the officer doesn't even show up so they dismiss the case.  Have you consulted one of those Traffic Court companies that have ex-cops that help with your defense?

EDIT:  If I were the judge I'd be like "Why are you in my court?"  You'd say "Well I was riding my electric unicycle safely under 20 kph on the sidewalk while trying to save the environment when this officer decided to give me a $600 ticket, sir."  I'd reply "Get the heck out of here and back on your wheel.  Case and fine dismissed!"  Gavel slam!

30 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

I hope you win your court case.  Were you wearing a helmet and were there any pedestrians on the sidewalk at the time?  How fast were you going?  I'm surprised the police would want to add your case into the court system as you would think they have more serious infractions to deal with.  Do they also stop electric skateboarders, give them a $600 ticket and send them to court too?  I wonder what would have happened if you had a group of people like the Seattle riders rolling down the sidewalk.  I guess they would have had to ticket everyone?  I wonder if mentioning that you were trying to save the environment by lessening your carbon footprint by riding your EUC and taking one car off the road to relieve traffic.  Is that such a harmful thing to be doing?  I guess it depends on what mindset the judge is in.  Hope they just toss the case out.  I hear sometimes the officer doesn't even show up so they dismiss the case.  Have you consulted one of those Traffic Court companies that have ex-cops that help with your defense?

EDIT:  If I were the judge I'd be like "Why are you in my court?"  You'd say "Well I was riding my electric unicycle safely under 20 kph on the sidewalk while trying to save the environment when this officer decided to give me a $600 ticket, sir."  I'd reply "Get the heck out of here and back on your wheel.  Case and fine dismissed!"  Gavel slam!

No helmet, zero pedestrians on a long stretch of sidewalk under the lip of BC Place stadium.  Probably 17km/h.  I might've been able to give a good argument but I don't know if it would've accomplished anything.  It was a pretty ho-hum affair, not much talking and the ticket came out fast.  He was there to hand me a ticket, not to ensure public safety or anything.

Fighting the ticket is a choice, I don't want to blindly reward that kind of police behaviour.  I actually hope the cop does show up so that I can get a real answer from the judge whether sidewalk = highway.  If I win because the cop doesn't show, I won't really know the law. :)

It's never a good idea to argue with the cops so you did the right thing.  I was Googling how to fight traffic tickets, and there are some suggestions about speeding tickets here:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-126862.html

I don't know if any of it applies to your situation though, but it's good to go into it prepared.  I would dress professionally, be very respectful of the judge and the officer, and present your case as just a regular citizen not out to endanger anyone.  At the time mention that you weren't cognizant of the full letter of the law regarding small vehicles.  Offer an apology and since it is your first offense, suggest that the court dismiss the fine and consider the whole experience a warning to be more aware of the bylaws.

I just went out for a short ride and to test out my annular lighting effects.  Within a few minutes of my journey, a car slowed down and yelled "You're so f___n cool!"  B)  I gave them a thumbs up.  I also caught a lady driving  by taking a cell phone photo of me.  Talk about my closest experience to being an amateur "celebrity!"  B)  All that was cut short as I saw in the distance a photo radar trap so I stopped dead in my tracks and did a 180 (well I can't do a rolling 180 yet so I just turned the wheel around and hopped back on) and hightailed it back home.  :(  On the way home, a truck slowed down on the opposite side of the road, and I could hear someone saying "That's so cool..." B)

I hope I maybe slowed some cars down as they passed by looking at me so they didn't get caught.  For a short trip there were a few highs and one low.  :mellow:

It's very gray here in Ontario.  A motorized vehicle that can get a ticket clearly states it must have a seat :D

On 6/17/2016 at 8:38 PM, musk said:

No helmet, zero pedestrians on a long stretch of sidewalk under the lip of BC Place stadium.  Probably 17km/h.  I might've been able to give a good argument but I don't know if it would've accomplished anything.  It was a pretty ho-hum affair, not much talking and the ticket came out fast.  He was there to hand me a ticket, not to ensure public safety or anything.

Fighting the ticket is a choice, I don't want to blindly reward that kind of police behaviour.  I actually hope the cop does show up so that I can get a real answer from the judge whether sidewalk = highway.  If I win because the cop doesn't show, I won't really know the law. :)

musk,

Which wheel brand were you riding on (ninebot, gotway, ips, king song?) Also what size wheel (14inch, 16inch, 18inch?)

Please update us when you get this issue resolve.

Thanks,

16 hours ago, OneWheel said:

musk,

Which wheel brand were you riding on (ninebot, gotway, ips, king song?) Also what size wheel (14inch, 16inch, 18inch?)

Please update us when you get this issue resolve.

Thanks,

Ninebot E+.  The LED lights were on which was probably like a glittering lure to the cop.  I've now disabled the light ring to draw less attention.

Archived