S2 Firmware

MonsieurBadgerCheese

The S2 Firmware upgrade prompt says upgrade from 1.0.1 to 1.0.3, but when upgraded, it actually reads firmware version 1.1.7.

Ian from SpeedFeet UK reports 20 miles on 1.1.7, no issues. I am on day 4, 20 miles ridden with firmware v 1.1.7, no issues.

SpeedyFeet.uk Facebook post

SpeedyFeet S2 Firmware page

3 hours ago, MonsieurBadgerCheese said:

Hi,

Does anyone have any thoughts on the S2. Just got one. Firmware is 1.01. I'm offered 1.03. Thanks. 

MBC. 

Congrats on yer new wheel hope you keep on liking it. How sturdy does it feel, same as the E+ like it could take some abuse?

3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

FWIW, with my relative short riding time on v1.0.1, I can't tell the difference on what they changed.

Haven't ridden with the app open to monitor speed yet though on v1.1.7.

So @houseofjob I guess the S2 is better than the Zero seeing as your selling the 0. :) The S2 seems pretty dope from the vids and reviews...better that 0.

The S2 IMO is pretty much exactly the E+ in a 14", ~3 lbs lighter package (with the < 5mph lift handle kill switch, which I've found really useful running in and out of stores on errands).

I don't want to argue "better" as riders seem to defend their wheel purchases like religion on here, but you can infer what you want ; )

FWIW, I do still think the Zero is a good wheel for it's price point. And if anyone wants a deal on a used 340wH Zero, I will be posting a sale page soon~

59 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

The S2 IMO is pretty much exactly the E+ in a 14", ~3 lbs lighter package (with the < 5mph lift handle kill switch, which I've found really useful running in and out of stores on errands).

I don't want to argue "better" as riders seem to defend their wheel purchases like religion on here, but you can infer what you want ; )

FWIW, I do still think the Zero is a good wheel for it's price point. And if anyone wants a deal on a used 340wH Zero, I will be posting a sale page soon~

Thanks. I've been thinking about this S2 model and was to a lessor extent thinking about the 0, both for the form factor and the weight. They both seem easier on the legs when yer riding or doing tricks and it's bouncing off your shins constantly lol. I would need to cut into the case on the 0 to give it clearance for landings or for dirt though.

S2 for $800 a Zero for $500 or a KS-14 for $4-500. I would get the S2 without thinking if $ wasn't an issue.

Both require padding, as obviously, neither sport the typical shin or ankle cushions.

As for clearance, I would actually say the Zero has more than the S2. Vertically, they have about the same 2" from tire to case (the Zero is "cutaway" at the shell's bottom, while the S2 is a full circular shape). However, the S2 is slimmer than the Zero (4-1/2" shell to shell vs. the Zero's 4-3/4" shell to shell), so width clearance is significantly more for the Zero (1-1/4" from inner case to tire), as opposed to the S2's width-wise clearance (just a hair under 1/2" width from inner case to tire).

I audibly catch more rocks and dirt while riding the S2 in debris, but have never noticed much debris noise with the Zero.

And wow, those prices are much less than I paid for either wheel. But there are some important details to note when shopping:

1. The black-backed S2 (2 batteries) is not the cheaper-priced, Chinese market white-backed A1 (1 battery) or A1"Plus" (2 batteries). This comes into play in the fact that:

• The S2 motor is a more powerful 500W motor, as opposed to the 400W motor of the A1/A1 Plus. This, in my opinion, is not a small difference, especially the heavier weight you are.
  • Ninebot now requires app activation with their products, which I have suspicion to believe IP-locates, as the Ninebot servers are dialed up during the process. It has not been confirmed that the A1/A1 Plus can be activated outside of China, but, seeing as those who, after a certain period, purchased the Chinese market Xiaomi(/Ninebot) Mini couldn't activate their units outside of China, I would think twice about purchasing these cheaper models.

2. Not all Zero models are the same, particularly in regard to battery and battery life efficiency. IMO, anything lower than the 340wH model with Samsung NC1 batteries is not worth the purchase, as the lesser 130wH & 260 wH versions contain relatively no-name batteries with sub-par efficiency. There have been reports of un-predictable cutouts on this forum in regards to the 130wH model.

My 2 cents.

6 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Ninebot now requires app activation with their products, which I have suspicion to believe IP-locates, as the Ninebot servers are dialed up during the process. It has not been confirmed that the A1/A1 Plus can be activated outside of China, but, seeing as those who, after a certain period, purchased the Chinese market Xiaomi(/Ninebot) Mini couldn't activate their units outside of China, I would think twice about purchasing these cheaper models.

@houseofjob good point about activation, even Ian Sampson of SpeedyFeetUK had problems activating his first S2 and he is an authorised reseller in the UK.

And also like you I think Ninebot is using this information to find out where the products are selling the most.  I would like to see that list.

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

Both require padding, as obviously, neither sport the typical shin or ankle cushions.

As for clearance, I would actually say the Zero has more than the S2. Vertically, they have about the same 2" from tire to case (the Zero is "cutaway" at the shell's bottom, while the S2 is a full circular shape). However, the S2 is slimmer than the Zero (4-1/2" shell to shell vs. the Zero's 4-3/4" shell to shell), so width clearance is significantly more for the Zero (1-1/4" from inner case to tire), as opposed to the S2's width-wise clearance (just a hair under 1/2" width from inner case to tire).

I audibly catch more rocks and dirt while riding the S2 in debris, but have never noticed much debris noise with the Zero.

And wow, those prices are much less than I paid for either wheel. But there are some important details to note when shopping:

1. The black-backed S2 (2 batteries) is not the cheaper-priced, Chinese market white-backed A1 (1 battery) or A1"Plus" (2 batteries). This comes into play in the fact that:

• The S2 motor is a more powerful 500W motor, as opposed to the 400W motor of the A1/A1 Plus. This, in my opinion, is not a small difference, especially the heavier weight you are.
  • Ninebot now requires app activation with their products, which I have suspicion to believe IP-locates, as the Ninebot servers are dialed up during the process. It has not been confirmed that the A1/A1 Plus can be activated outside of China, but, seeing as those who, after a certain period, purchased the Chinese market Xiaomi(/Ninebot) Mini couldn't activate their units outside of China, I would think twice about purchasing these cheaper models.

2. Not all Zero models are the same, particularly in regard to battery and battery life efficiency. IMO, anything lower than the 340wH model with Samsung NC1 batteries is not worth the purchase, as the lesser 130wH & 260 wH versions contain relatively no-name batteries with sub-par efficiency. There have been reports of un-predictable cutouts on this forum in regards to the 130wH model.

My 2 cents.

Thanx for the info @houseofjob. I am mostly concerned with durability (no easily cracked case or lenses), no corners or edges, fat pedals with flat bottoms and the weight. I know that a 9bot1 E+ can handle a roll down the stairs without cracking in half or getting deep scratches all over it. The Zero? I cant find any strength test on Youtube for either models, nor can I find anybody bailing or falling off either wheels. Or even one of them beat up a bit.

The Zero for $500 is a 260Wh from the IPS-Official-Store on Ebay = 9.8Kg

The S2 is the black back 2 battery version and it's on Aliexpress $776 http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-New-Ninebot-One-S2-single-wheel-scooter-electric-self-balance-monowheel-hoverboard-skateboard-dual-battery/32662824913.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000023.10.N72cLp  I dont know if it would get here in 3-7 days or within the 35 day guaranty...at some point. ;) = 11.5Kg

KS-14b from somebody I met for $450 and it will definitely take a beating but it is heavier than both. = 12Kg

Freeman A4H 260Wh will be here on Monday. = 11Kg

2 minutes ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

That AliExpress S2 link is saying item no longer available when I click.

7 minutes ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

that seller looks to have a few unhappy customers in their reviews, and the original picture is the white-backed A1, which feels suspicious.....

1 minute ago, houseofjob said:

that seller looks to have a few unhappy customers in their reviews, and the original picture is the white-backed A1, which feels suspicious.....

I think so too! I am scared to buy anything on AlieXpress already.

I've purchased a few items on Aliexpress that never materialized.  Fortunately, Aliexpress has always stood behind it and refunded me the money.  Unfortunately, it might take up to 2 months to get your money back to do another purchase.  Price is usually good, but sometimes, your money is held hostage for quite a while.

I've also purchases quite a few items on Aliexpress that came through just fine.

NineBot1E+ can be had for $450 to $500 from a reputable US dealer.  It's hard to beat that price for such a durable, reliable wheel with a 1 year factory warranty and FREE US Shipping.  Also, having watched your videos, @Sidestreet Reny, the NineBot is sort of the Tricks King according to YouTube.

https://www.forwardca.com/products/ninebot-one-e-special-edition-blue

https://www.forwardca.com/products/ninebot-e-special-edition-flame

If the Blue or Flames don't rock your world, put a skin on it...

If you get the $449.99 limited edition blue and a Pop Skins skin for $119, you'd be out only $570 for a custom Ninebot One E+ with a design of your choice.  Or pick up one of these $50 skins in the link below, and you'd be at $500.  They even have a nice carbon fibre skin.  For matte black or any other colour it might just be cheaper to get a can of spray paint and do it yourself to save some bucks.  Or for something less permanent just Plasti-dip it.

http://www.howwerollwheels.com/ninebot-wraps

*disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with any companies mentioned nor endorsed, and I get no kickbacks or benefits from referencing said products/companies.  I just like seeing people take advantage of a good deal when I see one.

9 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

*disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with any companies mentioned nor endorsed, and I get no kickbacks or benefits from referencing said products/companies.  I just like seeing people take advantage of a good deal when I see one.

Same here, no paid comments, I just love my wheel.

Also, I bought a roll of Carbon Fiber vinyl on Amazon for under $12 and cut it to fit for a carbon fiber wrap.  The battery covers are painted with Vinyl Paint.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Carbon-Fiber-Twill-Weave/dp/B00CPN0BB8/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1465748631&sr=1-2&keywords=carbon+fiber+vinyl

20160308_231724979_iOS.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

=======

S2 Firmware 1.0.4 Release Notes (translated from roboway.co.kr, an official Ninebot distributor in Korea):

1. To maximize/optimize driving, operational motor calculations have been improved.

2. For user riding safety, pedal tiltback speed and angle are now slower.

• Before: 12º per second tiltback
  • Changed: 10º per second tiltback

* 22º maximum tiltback angle

3. Max speed limiting [under low battery situations] has been improved.

Under 30% remaining battery, max speed will start to be restricted.

• under 30% battery, max speed becomes 18km/h (~11mph)
  • under 20% battery, max speed becomes 12km/h (~7.5mph)
  • under 10% battery, max speed becomes 4km/h (~2.5mph)

• Before: 0.8km/h (~0.50mph) per second max speed restriction lowering
  • Changed: 0.4km/h (~0.25mph) per second max speed restriction lowering 

• while riding at 18km/h (~11mph) with 31% battery remaining, when the battery drops below 30%, max speed of 18km/h (~11mph) will be reduced by 0.4km/h (~0.25mph) every second.

4. Max angle for pedal tiltback has been modified.

• Before: max 30º
  • Changed: max 20º

* pedal tiltback will start 2km/h (~1.24mph) before reaching max speed.

5. To reduce risk of BMS update(?) failure, battery management has been improved.

6. Pedal tiltback has been improved

• While driving with continuous pedal tiltback, wavering [of the wheel] has been improved.
  • As driving under constant max speed with continuous tiltback increases the risks of accidents, when pedal tiltback occurs, please decelerate.

7. Remaining battery life display has been improved to be more accurate.

=======

One user on their forum is reporting some issue with their LED lights after upgrading to 1.0.4 (listed in their posts' title), but their post is locked and I cannot find any further information.

@antares Do you happen to notice anything weird going on with your LED lights?

I have a prejudice s2 and I just added the upgrade to 1.0.4
I noticed immediately that the handle does not trip revolves around the most when I get up, and what little I tried it I noticed a hardening of the pedals ..
I want to know if it's just on my problem or if other does.

Archived