One E+: Opinion after 1000km (621 miles)

vla

Data (firmware/serial):

I'm sharing my opinion after 1000km (621 miles) (2.5 months) of riding Ninebot One E+.  I have never ridden another EUC, so no comparison.

Firmware is 1.3.5.  It came with different, but I upgraded after buying.

Serial number starts with N2.  I asked Ninebot Service to confirm if it's original (I was not happy with range so I mailed them), but they did not reply.

Positives:

1. Fun.

This is one of the best purchases of my life :).
I love riding it, I ride to work, back from work and on the weekends I'm doing trips too.  I'm riding every day when weather allows.

2. Stability.

It is stable, always working, I trust it.  Streets, bikeways, sidewalks (I can go even through very bad ones, but a lot slower), forest paths (I like them the most) - it rides there.  When I'm doing something it doesn't like - it lets me know - it was letting me know quite brutally when I was on <3 stiffness.  Now I'm on 3 and I'm fine.

3. Indestructibility (except batteries).

The wheel is covered with scratches after all my (rather small) accidents, but it's still working like nothing happened.  I don't have any accidents now, but when I was learning I had them.

4. Stylish design.

I like how it looks, even with all the scratches: it's beautiful.

Subjective negatives (speed and range with weight = 86kg (190lbs)):

1. Speed.

I would like faster wheel.  At the beginning I was able to go around 19-21km/h (11.8-13.0mph).  Later on something happenned, I think I started to stay more closer to the front (and have better technique overall), and now I can see constant 22-23km/h (13.6-14.3mph).  Sometimes GPS in the phone shows speed jumping between 23.5km/h (14.6mph) and 24.3km/h (15.1mph) so it may be something in-between.  While I wouldn't trust this GPS much, I can feel I'm doing faster than I was able before.

That speed (22-23km/h (13.6-14.3mph)) is far more satisfying for me than the starting one (20km/h (12.4mph)), but I want more :).

2. Range.

I would like more range.  When I was checking more than month ago I was able to go around 15km (9.3 miles) before slowness and then another 10km (6.2 miles) slow.  Last time I checked two weeks ago I was able to go 17km (10.6 miles) before slowness (and I was checking max-speed over then, so I was pushing to the limits).

The slowness ride (max 12km/h (7.4mph)) is horrible, I never really checked if I can go 10km (6.2 miles) on it, but I checked I can go 6km (3.7 miles) and there is battery left which maybe allows for another 6 (3.7).  I don't have patience to check this - whenever slowness happens, the ride starts to be pain and not fun.

Summary of speed and range:

This is very subjective, other people may be more than happy with this.

But me: I'm considering buying the 1Rad Werkstatt batteries which extend range or second wheel.  Or maybe I'll buy both options in the end in some longer period of time.

When I was buying Ninebot I wasn't expecting I will love riding EUC so much, so I did not go with faster wheel with more batteries.  I just needed something for commuting to work or for occassional rides if commuting to work won't work :).

Objective negatives:

1. Cannot set LED colors.

I can only set any LED color for "Blossom Age" (well, I don't remember if this was the name and it's hard to check because of bluetooth connectivity problems; I'm talking about the one where all LEDs pulse with the same color).  Other options are only allowing me to set: purple, blue, yellow and green IIRC.  They only allow one hue of each of these colors.  I cannot set different hue of blue or different color like red.  LEDs just don't react.  I think I was able to select any color on previous firmware, but I'm not sure.

2. Motherboard not protected from dirt.

I recently opened the cover and motherboard was covered with big sand grains.  I'm reading the "IP65" characteristics: "Complete protection from dust".  Yeah, right - Ninebot does not have any protection from dust.  There are big holes around the motherboard through which you can see the tire and engine shell.

I sealed holes and now I'm afraid of overheating problems :).  And I'm not done yet, I need to screw the aluminium plate too.

3. Battery is being damaged by the cover.

I recently opened the cover and the battery was damaged on all sides.  This is really bad...

4. Firmware updates are scary.

I have 1.3.5 and I'm not upgrading because of all the stories of failures.  1.3.5 is very good.

5. Bluetooth connectivity.

After I've set PIN - now I have to "forget" the Ninebot in my Android before connecting.  Otherwise it refuses to connect.  I heard about setting zero PIN number, but did not try that.

6. Beeps at the beginning.

When I was learning, Ninebot was beeping at me hundreds times per day.  Every single small hole in the ground - beep.  Even no holes in the ground - beep.  Sometimes three beeps and slowing me down.  It all stopped later (it faded out, it was beeping less and less), I think that the battery need to "balance" or the engine needs to break-in.  Maybe it's not negative, nothing bad happened, but back then I was thinking that maybe something is broken.

Currently I can hear single beep around once per week or two, when the hole in the road is too big and I'm at full-speed.  Last three beeps where when I was going on small decline, staying more closely to the front than usual and probably overlean - it beeped and tried to shake me off but I survived :).  Battery was nearly full.

7. Tire too big.

The tire it came with is probably too big for the shell - it's rubbing when pumped to maximum and when there is any wet sand on the surface.

8. Brushes when riding on one leg.

I don't ride on one leg, but when I tried - it was brushing.  I found video on how to fix this, but I would need to open the bot too much and I don't need to ride on one leg badly.

Overall impression:

I have put more negatives than positives, but don't be fooled by this.  I love riding this wheel and love is the ultimate positive.

Also: thanks to all the people on the forum (and other places on the internet) who share their knowledge and their stories.  Based on these information other people (like me) can fix flaws and have their EUC journey better :).

Thanks! :)

3 hours ago, vla said:

Data (firmware/serial):

I'm sharing my opinion after 1000km (621 miles) (2.5 months) of riding Ninebot One E+.  I have never ridden another EUC, so no comparison.

Serial number starts with N2.  I asked Ninebot Service to confirm if it's original (I was not happy with range so I mailed them), but they did not reply.

Positives:

1. Fun.

I love riding it, I ride to work, back from work and on the weekends I'm doing trips too.  I'm riding every day when weather allows.

2. Stability.

It is stable, always working, I trust it.  Streets, bikeways, sidewalks (I can go even through very bad ones, but a lot slower), forest paths (I like them the most) - it rides there.  When I'm doing something it doesn't like - it lets me know - it was letting me know quite brutally when I was on <3 stiffness.  Now I'm on 3 and I'm fine.

The wheel is covered with scratches after all my (rather small) accidents, but it's still working like nothing happened.  I don't have any accidents now, but when I was learning I had them.

4. Stylish design.

1. Speed.

I would like faster wheel.  At the beginning I was able to go around 19-21km/h (11.8-13.0mph).  Later on something happenned, I think I started to stay more closer to the front (and have better technique overall), and now I can see constant 22-23km/h (13.6-14.3mph).  Sometimes GPS in the phone shows speed jumping between 23.5km/h (14.6mph) and 24.3km/h (15.1mph) so it may be something in-between.  While I wouldn't trust this GPS much, I can feel I'm doing faster than I was able before.

That speed (22-23km/h (13.6-14.3mph)) is far more satisfying for me than the starting one (20km/h (12.4mph)), but I want more :).

2. Range.

I would like more range.  When I was checking more than month ago I was able to go around 15km (9.3 miles) before slowness and then another 10km (6.2 miles) slow.  Last time I checked two weeks ago I was able to go 17km (10.6 miles) before slowness (and I was checking max-speed over then, so I was pushing to the limits).

The slowness ride (max 12km/h (7.4mph)) is horrible, I never really checked if I can go 10km (6.2 miles) on it, but I checked I can go 6km (3.7 miles) and there is battery left which maybe allows for another 6 (3.7).  I don't have patience to check this - whenever slowness happens, the ride starts to be pain and not fun.

But me: I'm considering buying the 1Rad Werkstatt batteries which extend range or second wheel.  Or maybe I'll buy both options in the end in some longer period of time.

When I was buying Ninebot I wasn't expecting I will love riding EUC so much, so I did not go with faster wheel with more batteries.  I just needed something for commuting to work or for occassional rides if commuting to work won't work :).

Objective negatives:

I can only set any LED color for "Blossom Age" (well, I don't remember if this was the name and it's hard to check because of bluetooth connectivity problems; I'm talking about the one where all LEDs pulse with the same color).  Other options are only allowing me to set: purple, blue, yellow and green IIRC.  They only allow one hue of each of these colors.  I cannot set different hue of blue or different color like red.  LEDs just don't react.  I think I was able to select any color on previous firmware, but I'm not sure.

I recently opened the cover and motherboard was covered with big sand grains.  I'm reading the "IP65" characteristics: "Complete protection from dust".  Yeah, right - Ninebot does not have any protection from dust.  There are big holes around the motherboard through which you can see the tire and engine shell.

I sealed holes and now I'm afraid of overheating problems :).  And I'm not done yet, I need to screw the aluminium plate too.

I recently opened the cover and the battery was damaged on all sides.  This is really bad...

I have 1.3.5 and I'm not upgrading because of all the stories of failures.  1.3.5 is very good.

After I've set PIN - now I have to "forget" the Ninebot in my Android before connecting.  Otherwise it refuses to connect.  I heard about setting zero PIN number, but did not try that.

When I was learning, Ninebot was beeping at me hundreds times per day.  Every single small hole in the ground - beep.  Even no holes in the ground - beep.  Sometimes three beeps and slowing me down.  It all stopped later (it faded out, it was beeping less and less), I think that the battery need to "balance" or the engine needs to break-in.  Maybe it's not negative, nothing bad happened, but back then I was thinking that maybe something is broken.

Currently I can hear single beep around once per week or two, when the hole in the road is too big and I'm at full-speed.  Last three beeps where when I was going on small decline, staying more closely to the front than usual and probably overlean - it beeped and tried to shake me off but I survived :).  Battery was nearly full.

7. Tire too big.

The tire it came with is probably too big for the shell - it's rubbing when pumped to maximum and when there is any wet sand on the surface.

I don't ride on one leg, but when I tried - it was brushing.  I found video on how to fix this, but I would need to open the bot too much and I don't need to ride on one leg badly.

Overall impression:

I have put more negatives than positives, but don't be fooled by this.  I love riding this wheel and love is the ultimate positive.

Also: thanks to all the people on the forum (and other places on the internet) who share their knowledge and their stories.  Based on these information other people (like me) can fix flaws and have their EUC journey better :).

You are having fun and that is what life is all about! I love my NB1! Sad thing is I love my Harley. Even though the weather is perfect for riding motorcycles for some reason it is more fun to ride the NB. Have fun and be safe!

20 hours ago, vla said:

Data (firmware/serial):

Positives:

1. Fun.

2. Stability.

4. Stylish design.

1. Speed.

2. Range.

Objective negatives:

7. Tire too big.

Overall impression:

I am at 850 km and I share some of your points.

1) No problem with lights

3) Battery is already damaged at 500km. I cut the protruding plastic parts and protected the battery with dense foam.

4) I am on 1.4.0 which is very good for an E+. Tight turns are easier.

5) Connection with the Ninebot app is difficult. With 9BMetrics, you have no problem. This demonstrates that the problem is with the app.

6) Strictly no beep problems.

7) I solved the problem by mounting a Maxxis Hookworm tire. It is designed for high pressure and lets more space. I have no longer gravels blocked at the top of the carter.

8) I had this problem also and applied the solution you can find on YouTube. Insert a washer on the right side of the axis (I also changed the tire at this occasion). I admit this is  abnormal that users have to do that (endangering their warranty). It is not very difficult but it is better to ask someone at ease with mechanics.

2 hours ago, Gil said:

@Gil That is a lot of miles.  Thanks it seems the NB1 is a long lasting machine.  Mine I love also for the power and riding characteristics.  But only have 42 miles one short ride at a time.

Thank you all :).

@Gil two things:

4. Glad that 1.4.0 is working fine for you.  Do you think your max speed is still the same?  People were complaining that max speed is lower.

7. Yesterday I was checking if my bot is still running after I cleaned the entry and sealed the holes.  I also inflated the tire to the max for test and knees were hurting badly during the ride (even though I always bend them).  I probably need some amortization (and the tire can give some) so less pressure might be better for me.

Also: when learning (two months ago) I prefered high pressure much.  But on my yesterday ride on high pressure I found that it was more difficult for me to control the wheel than on the lower one.  I think there may be just some accustoming needed, but knees tell me: "go with the lower one!" - and I'll listen :).

4. I am a calm rider... So I stop accelerating around 18 km/h. So I am not concerned with new speed limits.

7. I think that the most pleasant pressure is 3.7 bars. I inflate at 4 bars according to a rule that was provided by Ninebot that takes weight into account. I compensate the hardness of the wheel by a riding mode set at 3. The combination of a soft riding mode and high pressure is OK.

Yesterday I've opened the bot to see motherboard version - it's 1.3.
Firmware: 1.3.5
Serial: N20

I was also doing speed testing using the Ninebot App.  Tilt-back was starting at 23km/h (14.3mph).

I was testing the tilt-back speed, not the max possible speed (I was respecting the tilt-back, I was slowing down when it happened, not trying to ride faster on it).  Yet I sometimes saw speeds above 24km/h (14.9mph) for a second or two.  I only managed to do screenshot of 23.8.

info.png

menu.png

speed1.png

speed2.png

Firmware version: V1.4.0

Current Milage: 1983.55km

My fastest speed: 26.3 km/hr

I've had my 9Bot 1E+ for about 10 months now, and have absolutely no issues with it - still works as perfectly today as it did day one! 

The real exciting news is on the 9Bot app rankings, the leader at number one, Aremo from Korea, on their 9Bot 1E has logged a current total of 9352 km! That's a lot of riding, and I'm assuming their EU is still going strong. 

I love my 9Bot 1E+, but can't wait until the GotWay MSuper3 18 inch is available in Canada - so I can go much faster and further!

current status.jpg

On 6/11/2016 at 3:21 PM, Gil said:

4) I am on 1.4.0 which is very good for an E+. Tight turns are easier.

The firmware made tight turnings easier? Hows that?

5 hours ago, Nuo Meng said:

I've had my 9Bot 1E+ for about 10 months now, and have absolutely no issues with it - still works as perfectly today as it did day one! 

The real exciting news is on the 9Bot app rankings, the leader at number one, Aremo from Korea, on their 9Bot 1E has logged a current total of 9352 km! That's a lot of riding, and I'm assuming their EU is still going strong. 

I love my 9Bot 1E+, but can't wait until the GotWay MSuper3 18 inch is available in Canada - so I can go much faster and further!

current status.jpg

14.0 allows the Nb1 to go up to 26.3 kmph?

5 hours ago, Marvin Ong said:

The firmware made tight turnings easier? Hows that?

When you turn tight and slow, the pedals do lean forward more naturally.

On 6/20/2016 at 10:18 AM, Nuo Meng said:

current status.jpg

Good to know that, thanks :).

Do you have motherboard version 1.3.1 or 1.3.0?  Is the speed you got a constant speed (26 km/h for several minutes)?

I was also thinking about GotWay MSuper3, but I'm not sure yet.  GotWays and KingSongs are having this high-pitch noise during ride - it does not sound good on videos.  I would like to compare some models in local shop but I don't have such shops around me.  Also I've read that GotWay will turn off when you reach it's limit and this limit is changing based on battery level.  I don't know - I would probably prefer something more smart, but there is not much choice.  For now - my Ninebot is still pretty new - maybe I will buy more batteries to it to extend range and accept the speed and wait what will future bring :).

I started to like going to work, just for the fun I get during commuting :).

I'm not at all tech savy so I don't know and can't figure out which motherboard version I have - the screenshots are all the info I could see. The speed of 26.3 km/hr was the max speed that I could get on a screenshot, and just as I clicked it I heard the beeping and immediate tilt back, so no it is not a speed I can maintain (I wish I could!) I may have gone marginally faster than 26.3 but couldn't get a screenshot of it. I'm not sure if the firmware version V1.4.0 is the reason I could go that fast but that is the version I was using.

I finally broke 2000 km of riding - that works out to $1.53 Cnd per km, based on a $1,300.00 Cnd cost for the EU (not counting cost of energy to recharge the unit each time). It's sad to think that I'd have to ride 130,000 km on this EU for it to average out to zero cents per km!! (I think my math is right - you know that 5 out of every 4 guys is terrible at fractions...)

On 6/12/2016 at 3:14 AM, Gil said:

4. I am a calm rider... So I stop accelerating around 18 km/h. So I am not concerned with new speed limits.

7. I think that the most pleasant pressure is 3.7 bars. I inflate at 4 bars according to a rule that was provided by Ninebot that takes weight into account. I compensate the hardness of the wheel by a riding mode set at 3. The combination of a soft riding mode and high pressure is OK.

@Gil I think so too.  When I updated the firmware to 1.4.0 the riding mode was automatically set to 3.  It seems that the firmware was changed to make the ride smoother among other things, and you can run a higher pressure and still have a smoother ride.  Or maybe the firmware update was a way to get people to try a softer ride setting^_^

On 6/20/2016 at 2:41 PM, Gil said:

When you turn tight and slow, the pedals do lean forward more naturally.

But why do you need the pedals to lean forward?  Just turn with flat pedals...I don't get it.  It doesn't bother me much because I don't know any better.

I have no scientific or logical answer. It is just a sensation. I will try to record  a movie to better understand what is happening. But you have certainly noticed that some other riders made a similar statement about tight turns with 1.4.0. Perhaps that one of them could bring you satisfactory explanations.

More than 4250km (I do not remeber the exact amount).

No issues at all (except puntures).

I was increasing the ride mode gradually.

I started in mode 0. Now I ride in mode 8. More confortable in long rides, in my opinion. However, there is a drawback in high modes. You need more time/space to hard brake. Otherwise, fantastic, soft and fluid mode.

23 hours ago, Rotator said:

More than 4250km (I do not remeber the exact amount).

No issues at all (except puntures).

I was increasing the ride mode gradually.

I started in mode 0. Now I ride in mode 8. More confortable in long rides, in my opinion. However, there is a drawback in high modes. You need more time/space to hard brake. Otherwise, fantastic, soft and fluid mode.

Thank you for sharing too, it is always good to know that this wheel does the job for so long :).

Ride mode: I was trying 8-9 modes at the beginning but I did not like them.  Back then I was rather testing between 0 and 5 and ended up on 3 at the end.  For a-lot-under-tilt-back speed I preferred lower than 3, but in reality I was ending up near-tilt-back pretty often and it was too severe when it started up.

But after your post, I thought it will be fun to try bigger number again.  I like changes.  While 8 was too much wobble, 7 was really fun.  So I was riding 7 yesterday and I'll keep that for some time.  After the ride I was actually more tired than usually, but I was tired that day any way, so hard to tell if it's the mode.

What's interesting - I started to feel even more confident on 7 than on 3.  Also - as it is wobbling - it may be wise to gain confidence on big-modes, so that when you get unexpected wobble on low-mode, your subconsciousness already knows the feeling and it can handle the situation better :).  Of course on low-mode the wobble means "slow down", but at least you don't panic, you can slow down more naturally and with a charm.

On 24 de junio de 2016 at 10:29 AM, vla said:

What's interesting - I started to feel even more confident on 7 than on 3.  Also - as it is wobbling - it may be wise to gain confidence on big-modes, so that when you get unexpected wobble on low-mode, your subconsciousness already knows the feeling and it can handle the situation better :).  Of course on low-mode the wobble means "slow down", but at least you don't panic, you can slow down more naturally and with a charm.

Totally agree.

The tilt back always scared me until I started to drive in high modes. Then, the pedal movement is something you are acostumed to. No more panic since then.

Modes 6 and 7 are good enough for this, while 8 and 9 are more dangerous: The response is very slow and hence it is easy to everlean and hard to quick brake.

9352km, wow! That is almost a quarter trip round the equator. I wonder who will be the first person crazy enough to attempt a trip round the world on one of those things. Plenty of people have already done it on a bicycle.

• 1 year later...

More than 10000 km (10171 now).

No issues at all (except puntures...a lot of them, about ten, may be more...).

The ninebot app is not able to record this value in the ranking. It appears to have only four digits, so it stopped to upload real value at 9999km.

Because of this, the super knight medal was not granted :efee565ab0:

Time to upgrade the euc...

Screenshot_20170910-162556.png

Screenshot_20170910-162847.png

18 minutes ago, Rotator said:

More than 10000 km (10171 now).

No issues at all (except puntures...a lot of them, about ten, may be more...).

The ninebot app is not able to record this value in the ranking. It appears to have only four digits, so it stopped to upload real value at 9999km.

Because of this, the super knight medal was not granted :efee565ab0:

Time to upgrade the euc...

Screenshot_20170910-162556.png

Screenshot_20170910-162847.png

wow :thumbup:

I have my Ninebot for almost 2 months now and 660Km driven. I have modified my One with extra battery's and a total of 640Wh, also i modified the firmware to make it a P with + power. My version of the firmware is 1.4.3 and i ride a 200Km with it without any problems, a steady ride around 27Km/hour without any peeps or tiltback and a mx. speed of 30Km/hour. This is how the One must be...

thumb_IMG_0003_1024.jpg

20170830_212724.png

IMG_0021.PNG

IMG_0027.PNG

Archived