IPS191: Off-road

The Fat Unicyclist

Recently I upgraded to an IPS 191 Lhotz 340. And once I have a few more miles on it I plan to make some comments on how I find it. 

But today I tried it "off-road" on some very poorly maintained riverbank tracks. And I have to say it is fantastic!

I don't know if it is the more powerful motor or the wider tire (or the combination of them), but it handled the rough terrain superbly. To the point that I was getting tilt-back within a matter of minutes of starting...

I can't believe how well it handles (on and off road)!

I too recently picked up a Lhotz wheel and i've been trying it out around Manchester in the uk and i'm loving it speed is already unlocked but i wimp out at 21kph i think i'd need something runway smooth to chance it as i don't have any personal protection equipment yet but agreed its an awesome wheel

4 hours ago, SinisterPrime said:

I too recently picked up a Lhotz wheel and i've been trying it out around Manchester in the uk and i'm loving it speed is already unlocked but i wimp out at 21kph i think i'd need something runway smooth to chance it as i don't have any personal protection equipment yet but agreed its an awesome wheel

I don't know... Off-road the wheel felt more stable as my speed increased, to the point that I was getting tilt-back. 

Winter just arrived here in force, but weather depending I should unlock full speed by next weekend - then I can see how it really goes. 

With "EUC Extreme" rated safety gear, of course.

• 6 months later...

About to buy the IPS191 Lhotz 340 and ship it to my brother's in the US where we'll head out for the holidays.

I read a few of your posts, so thanks for sharing your experience with us, as it's sealing the deal for me.

The bonus I see in this model, is that I should be able to use the same external 67.2v  156wh external battery I use with my TG T3, for some extra distance.

4 hours ago, steve454 said:

@The Fat Unicyclist what wheel did you have before?

My first wheel, which I still have (and never ride) was an Airwheel X8...

Like a lot of us, it was a cost effective "entry level" wheel, as I didn't know back then how awesome this EUC thing was. 

And it was great to learn on, but struggled up the Wellington hills with a full load on board... Something that the Lhotz easily resolved! 

I am keeping the X8 though, for people to try out. And hopefully for Mrs Fat Unicyclist to learn on - I've got this idea that having the second wheel means that I can provide a bit of balance support, but move with the learner... Sort of like a mobile wall. 

3 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

My first wheel, which I still have (and never ride) was an Airwheel X8

Whoops, I asked the same question before noticing you already gave the answer. I didn't notice at first this thread started in June. Well, obviously there is no comparison between Lhotz and X8! I dusted off my TG wheels recently and began taking them on short rides, and the difference was startling after becoming accustomed to the Lhotz!

Archived