Fastwheel Ring - Solowheel Orbit copy?

esaj

Just visited Facebook for the first time in last... month? Really hate the platform, can't find shit there... :D Anyway, what jumped right at my face was that this is coming out 8th of this month (September) in China:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/870716106359687/

Ah, so cool. To me, the biggest impediment to the wide success of EUC's is (1) price, and (2) weight! A design that does away with the heavy BLDC wheel fixes the weight problem -- I guess they use some outrunner motor with a gear to reduce the weight a lot.

However, despite my enthusiasm, here are some red flags,

• There are no specs yet it seems, not even a price (?? what is up with that?)
  • I saw the Solowheel Orbit prototype in real-life recently (Oh yeah!! it was sweet!! :D thanks everyone at Inventist!!) from which the above Fastwheel is a copy; However, there are pretty serious technical challenges to make it work reliably under many circumstances. I am skeptical that Fastwheel has really solved these issues which may mean that the wheel is only safely useable under ideal circumstances (i.e. flat, clean, sunny, urban terrain). For example, i would be curious if you can ride backward on it :ph34r:
  • Wasn't the Eva also done by Fastwheel? They had a really slick video of Eva but in the end @Jason McNeil tested it and it turned out to be a pretty bad wheel...

Anyway, don't want to be negative here -- I love new developments and hope the weight problem can be addressed B)  It is just that I would only buy if the seller clearly states the specfications, safety mechanisms, and limitations of the device; a sad necessity in EUC-land it seems :P

I saw specs posted - something like 130 or 160Wh, 2000 watts (pretty sure this is BS), 10km range, 10 ish degree max incline were the main points that I remember.

Jason McNeil made a post saying that someone had seen it in their factory and it was noisy and low powered.

Personally, I looked at the video and saw a few things that seemed 'off' - no sound, travelling slow, EUC wobbling badly between legs, and they did a clip of riding onto grass but after a few meters the girl fell off and it cut to another scene on pavement... 

• 4 weeks later...

I recently spoke with Shane Chen a bit about the new Solowheel Orbit (that actually will come soon :)) -- in contrast to the brushless DC motors in all other wheels, the ring-design uses a geared wheel; one of the problems that caused delays, was that when there would get water in there (by going through a deep puddle; rain is fine)  the wheel had less friction and would slip causing it to be unbalanced. Ah, from the conversation I got the impression that the ring-design is super pretty (and light!! and more efficient!! (93%!)) but that the BLDC motors are more robust (at this point in time).

next time you speak  with him ask him where the app is we have been waiting for so long, and the option of two riding modes on the xtreme as per the info on the xtreme site. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The man hold the Ring is the CEO of Fastwheel. We have some discussions on the Ring and definitely is not a copy of the Orbit at least from internal point of view because there is nothing to copy from. This guy is an inventor and he holds several invention patterns as far as I know. Internally, the Ring has 4 bearings and two stage drives, namely belt drive plus geared drive. Battery is 170Wh, Wheel size 18", paddle height 156mm from the ground.

Ring.jpg

Well there is no price to compare it too or indeed anything to copy as the solowheel version as admitted by solowheel themselves is a very long way of ever coming to production.

I'm not going to tell you that the Orbit is in developmental stages. At this point, the concept has been put off until a later date. The inventor realized that the product is way too fragile for regular use.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw for sale on ebay for $850 w/shipping to US but arriving in January so it's a pre-order from that one particular seller.

170Wh battery.  Also from the videos it looks like a very skinny tire which account for the reduced weight, and yeah, the no hub also.

@Berus  say, did you ever get your wheel?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2015, 10:02:02, castShadow said:

Saw for sale on ebay for $850 w/shipping to US but arriving in January so it's a pre-order from that one particular seller.

170Wh battery.  Also from the videos it looks like a very skinny tire which account for the reduced weight, and yeah, the no hub also.

@Berus  say, did you ever get your wheel?

@castShadow I don't want speak B)..cross finger :).. another model but they are building/assembling it in this week.

• 1 month later...

anyone have any additional info on this wheel? its available at http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Fastwheel-Ring-Self-Balancing-Electric-Unicycle-Scooter-free-shipping/32555355024.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.1.bCVnpU&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_1,searchweb201644_4_79_2_78_77_82_80_62_61,searchweb201560_4

which seems like a very low price, with a guaranteed 15 day delivery that is kind of suspicious since it seems to be pre-order only on ebay (only other seller i can find). Another EU member stated he has seen these for sale in China. I emailed the fastwheel directly 4 days ago and have not recieved a response. I would probably take the risk with this seller at such a low price but the footing on this EU seems quite narrow. The WOW factor is definetly there though...  

I'm very interested to see how it turns out. I think it will either be really good or really bad. If the bearings and drive mechanisms work well the light weight and low centre of gravity should give it a large advantage. But if there's too much noise and friction it may not be viable against hub motor versions.

A rather loose way of "cloning" though. I tend to prefer the pedal design of the clone, because it allows for lower pedal and narrower package volume without affecting pedal size or the ground clearance. 

• 4 weeks later...
On June 18, 2015 at 10:58 AM, esaj said:

I'm not sure who was first? I do know Fastwheel has been showing a working prototype since last year. Last I heard, it's not that cheap for what it can do

• 1 year later...

@esaj I think @John Chew misses a few points:

1. for the wheel to maintain it's shape, it's rim must have a certain amount of support.

We ARE talking about brushless electric motor wheels, with an inner stator? The objection is of course valid for wherever the outer part of the wheel anchors to the inner. But given we're not talking about a wheel for a truck, but for a EUC where the max weight on the wheel, including the wheel, should be below 150 kg, that should not be unsurmountable.

2. WEATHER PROTECTION. A disc wheel is inherently weatherproof. The only place water, muck, grit and other crap can get inside is through the (small) hub in the middle that is very easy to seal with simple seals.

Yeah, that can be a problem, especially if you go all out like on the Fastwheel. You'll have a much longer "lip" to seal, which of course may be troublesome.

That said, while the Fastwheel above seems to be more of a fashionista design or tech demo, we really could use a generation of wheels without the narrow central axle. Just going up to a handfull of inches would solve so many problems. That challenge should not be unsurmountable.

Just think about it:

1. You could fit 10 AWG cabling without any problems whatsoever.
  2. You could even fit heat-pipes, to lower the temp of the motor if needed.
  3. You could use larger bearings.
  4. You'd have a much wider support-base for the shell, with multiple screws rather than one central lug.
  5. The pedal mount could easily incorporate some form of vibration dampening, without compromising their rigidity.

So while he has some valid points, I see some real advantages with a hubless/wide hub design too...

On 6/18/2015 at 2:45 PM, esaj said:

Yeah, in my opinion this design, although very similar, looks even better than the Orbit with those few extra contours, but don't know how handy it would be to carry... @John Chew in FB had a few valid points about the "hollow" body design and its problems (in addition to not being able to house much battery packs):

Also, I think this might have the same problems as the geared Rockwheels, ie. the gears wear down fast (maybe even faster, if crap gets inside the gears in this design), as there must be gears to move the tire... Might not be that long lasting in heavy use.

I am certain there is no need for gears. It will need some type of roller bearing supporting the inner stator ring riding on the outer magnet ring. The rollers would support the inner and outer agonists each other. 

Archived