Help buying second wheel

I've currently got an IPS I130 ($300). It handles well with a 14" wheel, seems to have a strong motor, weighs 10kg, and has a range between 5km and 10km. It's a bare-bones model with few safety features. Now I'm looking for a higher end EUC specialized for cruising longer distances for my second buy.

I'd like the new wheel to satisfy as many of these requirements as possible.

Wheel Dia 16"
Range >20km
Max Speed 25 - 35kph  (edit)
Price <$2000 USD
Weight Any
Trolley Handle Yes or add-on
Lights for saftey Yes
Saftey Sounds Configurable or quiet
Bluetooth perferred
Saftey features Good. Does not thrash about when out of control.
Ride Comfortable. Large pedals.

Thanks for your help & feedback.

(edit) I'm looking for something a little faster than a Ninebot one E+ and with a more functional handle. 

Out of your requirements there are quite a few models to choose from...

I could recommend Ninebot One E+ (but I'am biased). Checks all the boxes in your list.

Kingsongs seems to be a popular choice but other members have to say something about it since I've never tried one.

Inmotion V5+ and Gotway MCM4 could be great alternatives, but they are 14"...

53 minutes ago, Andrew Flewellen-Gore said:

I've currently got an IPS I130 ($300). It handles well with a 14" wheel, seems to have a strong motor, weighs 10kg, and has a range between 5km and 10km. It's a bare-bones model with few safety features. Now I'm looking for a higher end EUC for my second buy.

Wheel Dia. 16"
Range >20km
Price <$2000 USD
Weight Any
Lights for safety Yes
Safety Sounds Configurable or quiet
Bluetooth preferred
Safety features Good. Does not thrash about when falling over.

From your description, it is not totally clear if you prioritize one parameter over the other, you mentioned less than 2000.   Most wheels that people ride cost way less than 2000. Does this mean $$ is not an issue for you? Then you might want to get the most reliable wheel that meets the parameters even if overpriced. If $$ is one of the important factors , than i kinda agree with @Vik's. Since ninebot  1e plus is an older model, you can find it comparatively cheap and it will provide the added power, comfort, and hopefully the range you are seeking (unless you weigh a lot, which doesnt look to be the case). If i rode a ninebot, i woukdnt be able to squeeze 20 km out of it, id just get about 16. You will get 20 to 30 depending on your weight, but just be aware that you will be borderline in that sense. Another option for you might be IPS lhotz, which is more expensive than ninebot 1e plus but since you are already familiar with IPS this may be a logical extension. 

So ,if you are firm on the range, the rule of thumb is to get something that will be up to 2 times the range you need - it seems like an overkill but its not. Range is always less than expected and with bad terrain, wind, slopes, cold temperatures sometimes your range will be down to 50% of the expected. This being said, if i were you id go with a 540 wh or a 680 wh battery. If you also can see yourself enjoying extra power, this will send you into the domain of gotways and Kingsongs, even though ips also has a 680wh model. But beware - once you try the extra power, high speed model, there is really no going back :) nothing short of what you are used to will ever be good enough :) . 

i ride a kngsong 14" and i am very happy about the riding experience. They have their issues like every brand but they are constantly improving, and a lighter guy like you seem to be shouldnt have even 10% of the issues that a heavier guy like me coukd have with an euc. You can get the new 16" kingsong, it is aesthetically pleasing and will by far exceed your needs. If you go for a kingsong, contact @Jason McNeil who i bought my wheel from. The level of his  customer service and communication is top notch, and he carries both kingsong and IPS.

All depends on whats a priority for you. Good luck

1 hour ago, Andrew Flewellen-Gore said:

I've currently got an IPS I130 ($300). It handles well with a 14" wheel, seems to have a strong motor, weighs 10kg, and has a range between 5km and 10km. It's a bare-bones model with few safety features. Now I'm looking for a higher end EUC for my second buy.

Wheel Dia. 16"
Range >20km
Price <$2000 USD
Weight Any
Lights for safety Yes
Safety Sounds Configurable or quiet
Bluetooth preferred
Safety features Good. Does not thrash about when falling over.

If you are OK to build yours as DIY, you can try EGG EUC - it should be cheaper and is modular, like you can add more batteries at any time.

@electric_vehicle_lover I definitely don't want a DIY build. 

@Cloud The main qualities I want are 1) Range - 2) Safety - 3) Comfort/ride quality - 4) Functional accessories

@Vik's I'm not too interested in the Ninebot one E+ because it's lights don't seem very functional, and because I'd like more speed. It's still a contender though, due to it being a good value for how much it costs.

1 hour ago, Andrew Flewellen-Gore said:

...lights don't seem very functional...

Just on the side note: do not take the lights on any EUC too seriously, Most of them are DRL at most... If you need more light for evening/night driving, you will almost certainly need something more powerfull.

Oh, Solowheel Extreme is worth mentioning.... but in standard config it's crippled to 16 km/h though...

@HunkaHunkaBurningLove Good calls.

I'm leaning towards the Gotway ACM 16" over the KingSong 16" since the Gotway does not have an active cooling fan. I'm afraid that the fan on the KS could break, or get clogged, or might have an annoying noise. The Gotway doesn't seem to have speakers either, which I see as a plus since I would never use them and might break them somehow.

The KS does have a built-in trolley handle that seems nice, though.

It sounds like the fan on the KS16 only turns on when the temperature reaches a certain level so it might not be an issue.  Also it's probably easily replaceable like the CPU fan in a computer.  How often do you change those?  Not too often.  A few rubber o-rings or grommets could help silence things, but I'm guessing since it's pretty much enclosed in the case not much sound comes out.  The noise from the electric motor likely is louder anyways so it'll drown things out at speed.

Don't write off built-in speakers too quickly as many here seem to find it indispensible for longer trips.  An attachable BT speaker could be a simple add on for the ACM so it's not a deal breaker though.  Think of it like having a radio as standard equiment in a car.  Sure you might not listen to music on short trips, but for longer hauls it can be handy if it's built in.

The Solowheel extreme is $2300 USD so it's a bit over your price range, but it sounds like a solid choice except for less range as compared to the others.

4 hours ago, Andrew Flewellen-Gore said:

@electric_vehicle_lover I definitely don't want a DIY build. 

@Cloud The main qualities I want are 1) Range - 2) Safety - 3) Comfort/ride quality - 4) Functional accessories

@Vik's I'm not too interested in the Ninebot one E+ because it's lights don't seem very functional, and because I'd like more speed. It's still a contender though, due to it being a good value for how much it costs.

Ok, so you mentioned you want higher speed than ninebot  1e plus. This narrows it down to just a few models. You didnt say how much you weigh - this is a big factor. Dont get hung up on the built in light - they are usually insufficient for real night riding - you will need to add another light anyway. Dont discard speakers - i never though id need them until i tried them. And dont worry about the fan, if it breaks you can get a replacement.

ips lhotz is possible but i dont think it has customizabke beeps.

now you are between gotway acm and ks 16". 

Ks pros : Ks will have a slightly wider pedals - comfort. It has speakers. It looks better. I am not listing the built in handle as a plus because i actually think its a minus. However the trolley for acm is custom made and is not gonna be cheap. The whole thing will probably run you $100 less than gotway

acm pros : more power and higher speed, which is very good to have especially when climbing a hill, but not sure if you really need that extra high speed and power. I forgot if acm has a usb port, if it does its a big plus. Also in terms of overheating the threshold temp should be 80 as opposed to 70 in ks.

also, i believe Inmotion is coming out with a new 30kph wheel that has around 500wh battery - this may be an option for you, also should be better pricewise.

And of course lhotz is still an option. It looks good and you are already used to the feel of the ips wheels. Also will cost you less than ks or gotway. Not sure if it gives you the range you need - dependa on your weight

@Cloud Those are some good points. And FYI I only weigh 140 pounds (63kg) so huge motor power is not a very big requirement. 

I'm now leaning towards the KS16 since it has a thinner form factor, seems to have more comfy wheels, and has a built in trolley handle that will hopefully be good enough. I do like the nearly all-black aesthetics of the Gotway ACM 16" though. For what I need though, it looks like the KS16 has more bang for my buck in terms of maneuverability, versatility, and comfort. The the 25kph max speed on the the KS16 does seem a little low though.

12 minutes ago, Andrew Flewellen-Gore said:

The the 25kph max speed on the the KS16 does seem a little low though.

25km/h? Isn't it more like way over 30km/h, except you can't set the tiltback above 30km/h? Didn't have any speedometer available while testing my friends' KS16, but I did hit the speed-warning set at 29km/h, and it did feel fast (my Firewheel can do over 30km/h, and it felt about the same).

2 hours ago, Andrew Flewellen-Gore said:

@Cloud Those are some good points. And FYI I only weigh 140 pounds (63kg) so huge motor power is not a very big requirement. 

I'm now leaning towards the KS16 since it has a thinner form factor, seems to have more comfy wheels, and has a built in trolley handle that will hopefully be good enough. I do like the nearly all-black aesthetics of the Gotway ACM 16" though. For what I need though, it looks like the KS16 has more bang for my buck in terms of maneuverability, versatility, and comfort. The the 25kph max speed on the the KS16 does seem a little low though.

I know why you are confused with the 25kph. You must have looked up the old spec sheets on kingsongs or someone elses website, who copied from kingsongs. They forgot to update the speed which is 30 kph max.

you are 63kg? - man, you weigh nothing! ona 840wh battery you are gonna travel like 35-40 miles! Even a 340 battery will probably give you the desired 20 km, but i would get at least a 540wh if i were you. If you really want a black wheel and decided about ks16, you can always cover it with a black spray or a special plastic film, like some here have done. For your purposes, the only real advantage of gotway would be the usb port.

if you are in the states, contact @Jason McNeil, he should have these puppies in stock very soon and has a lightning fast shipping.

Jason and 1RadWerkstatt can provide the KS16's with 840Wh packs, if I compare the ranges I got out from 264Wh Firewheel packs at slightly lower weight than you, my guess is that with your weight, you should still get something like 60-70km (something like 35-40+ miles, just like Cloud said) out of those. And from what I've heard, the price ain't that bad either, should fit with your budget.

Some people are reporting some issues with the KS16 so it might be prudent to wait a little to see how those work out with a new firmware or revision.  With the ACM it looks like it had heatsink issues, but now it ships with a larger one.  These products are coming straight off the design boards so there are going to be some refinements needed.

The trolley handle for the ACM looks like a quickly put together after thought that isn't quite as elegant as the KS16.  I wish it had a built in retractable handle.  You can tell that the KS team have a better shell designer or budget as most of their EUC shells have a lot of detail and style whereas the GW group have more utilitarian designs that are more basic.

The KS16 looks like a very promising design, especially if you upgrade with 840Wh batteries, but it's a new design, personally I'm going to wait till it has matured a bit more.

Have you already looked at the IPS T680+?

I very much like the 'safety' of the IPS wheels, and the design is around for a while now, so no surprises to be expected.

, I've compared the IPS T680+ to the Lhotz here:

I've seen several 16" and 14" wheel videos, and it looks like people can turn on a dime pretty easily on either one.   If you already have a 14", it might be worthwhile trying out a 16".   Going over bumps is much better I hear.  Drawback with the 16 is additional weight of course, but you'll most likely be riding these rather than carrying them.

I hear though that the MCM4 is a solid choice.  Unfortunately there's no nicely integrated trolley handle.  KS16 might be your best bet if I'm reading you right.  With the newer firmware they might re-release most of the gremlins might be taken care of?

15 hours ago, Andrew Flewellen-Gore said:

I'm thinking about opening up the search to extremely good 14" wheels since I'm not sure how less manuverable a new 16" EUC will be compared to my current 14". The KS-14C looks great, except for the fact that it does not have a tasteful trolley handle addon.

Ks14 handle will allow you to gracefully stand the wheel straight up. Plus you can make other adjustments to further upgrade the looks. See pic.

j6jyn9.jpg

Here is what you need to do to be able to decide 14 vs 16

1. Assess what kind of riding you are planning to do and what is the priority - if you are planning to be on busy sidewalks around pedestrians, you may need a 14".  If you want to do leisure riding and be on sidewalks ocasionally - go for 16

2 try to ride someone else's 16" before you buy - you need to know how the 16" feels and the difference with 14 to have enou i fo to make the decision.

Other differences dont make or break the deal

• 4 weeks later...

As another alternative, you may want to check out the Ninebot One P Pro.   

It has a max speed of 17 mph (27.4 kph), compared to 13.6 mph (21.9) for the Ninebot One E+.

As for your other requirements, the Ninebot One P Pro's features follow:

• Tire Diameter: 16"
  • Mileage: 22 miles (35.4 km)
  • Max speed: 17 mph (27.4 kph)
  • Price: $1,295
  • Weight: about 30 lbs (13.6 kg)

• Trolley handle: add on
  • Bluetooth: yes (Bluetooth 4.0)
  • Ride/Pedals: large pedals with resin shock absorption anti-slip layer

I hope this helped. 

I had the Ninebot One E+ but for me it didn't quite go fast enough (I travel along the canal and have some quiet, fairly flat straights to be able to get some decent speed up) and it didn't do anywhere near enough miles! :)

I opted for the Gotway ACM. Very fast, very powerful, covers plenty of miles, smooth acceleration adjustable tilt back speed, USB port on the front and for me - not too many fancy lights! I was glad I could turn the NB1 light rings off but, as good as the KS 16 looks I don't like that you can't turn the light rings off.

The ACM has recently had a control board change that is meant to make it more reliable and also handle the amount of power it needs to. Also as was mentioned they made the heatsink bigger. Finally any ACM's purchased now should come with the trolley handle attached and new rbber grips in the pedals because the originals wore very fast. 

Archived