(Solved) IPS Lhotz "lost memory"/ forgets total miles and settings as speed/lights after turned off/on.

Jean eRide.ie Community

Edit:

Solution here: 

Hi all,

I couldn't find any post about this issue, so here it is.

I have the IPS Lhotz for almost 5 months.  (About 1010km) A couple of weeks ago  (910km) I put the speed limit at 20km/h as was going on the path and didn't want to go over 18km/h, all OK. But since then I noticed that even if I changed the setting back to 30km/h, each time I turn on the Lhotz:

1. Speed limit is at 20km/h.

2. Side LEDs are off.

3. Total KM is back to 0km!

Tried with 2 different phones, same issue.

Now each time I turn it on I have to go into the app to turn on the side LEDs and change the settings to 30km/h.

Any idea on why did this happen? Any known solution?

Thanks!

Jean.

Could be a weird bug with the app?

What app and phone do you use?

If you have an iPhone, try using Kevin's alternative app from the app store called "Xima Lhotz". It's much better than the official one and allows you to immediately unlock the top speed so you won't have to do the 50/100km again.

Thanks Paddylaz,

The issue is not with the app as it worked OK before, also I tried on 2 different android phones with the IPS Zero app (it is the only one that works with my Lhotz) from the IPS website with the unlocked 30km/h from the start.

It is very strange this is happening... I hope there is an easy solution.

@Jean Dublin could be that there's a button cell battery on the motherboard that keeps the memory charged, if it's dead the memory doesn't keep any memory.

I've never opended my EUC, but there are a lot of people here who have done this, and can tell you if there is a button cell battery on the motherboard.

1 hour ago, Jurgen said:

@Jean Dublin could be that there's a button cell battery on the motherboard that keeps the memory charged, if it's dead the memory doesn't keep any memory.

I've never opended my EUC, but there are a lot of people here who have done this, and can tell you if there is a button cell battery on the motherboard.

Haven't seen any button cells in any pictures. Could be a firmware bug or the mileage information is stored only in the app (which I doubt. though)? Or faulty memory on the board...

I suspect that at least Gotways store the total mileage into something like EEPROM (Electronically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory or something along those lines, ie. non-volatile memory where single memory addresses/blocks/entire memory can be wiped & rewritten), but how often they write it there is another issue. The memory should last something like at least 100000 rewrites before it becomes unreliable/no longer holds values... So likely they won't rewrite the value every second or so. If it was every 10 seconds, the memory should failure at earliest after about

10s * 100000 = 1 million seconds = 277.777... days (of riding, not just standing there).

If written once every minute ridden, it should take about 1666.666... days of riding for it to reach the 100k writes limit.

EDIT: Clarification before someone panics that their memory will fail in less than a year: that's X days of RIDING, ie. doing it for full 24 hours per "riding day"

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 8:35 PM, esaj said:

Haven't seen any button cells in any pictures. Could be a firmware bug or the mileage information is stored only in the app (which I doubt. though)? Or faulty memory on the board...

I suspect that at least Gotways store the total mileage into something like EEPROM (Electronically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory or something along those lines, ie. non-volatile memory where single memory addresses/blocks/entire memory can be wiped & rewritten), but how often they write it there is another issue. The memory should last something like at least 100000 rewrites before it becomes unreliable/no longer holds values... So likely they won't rewrite the value every second or so. If it was every 10 seconds, the memory should failure at earliest after about

10s * 100000 = 1 million seconds = 277.777... days (of riding, not just standing there).

If written once every minute ridden, it should take about 1666.666... days of riding for it to reach the 100k writes limit.

EDIT: Clarification before someone panics that their memory will fail in less than a year: that's X days of RIDING, ie. doing it for full 24 hours per "riding day"

I guess i showed my age in my comment, there was a time when mother boards still had a button cell battery, this was little after animal stopped talking :rolleyes:

Laser printers often have a built in counter that keeps track of the number of prints along with other data.  I think it's similar to flash memory that doesn't require power to keep the info stored.

I once hacked a Samsung colour printer by desoldering a small surface mount chip, and I never had to reset it again after it's newly acquired Alzheimers.  These wheels likely have something similar which can track the kms and is probably rated up to some x amount of kms before it loops back to zero say 99,999 kms?  Most likely the wheel motor would die before reaching it.  I wonder what the maximum km  lifetime of these electic motors are rated at under average conditions.

2 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

These wheels likely have something similar which can track the kms and is probably rated up to some x amount of kms before it loops back to zero say 99,999 kms?

The (old) Gotway protocol sends the odometer- and trip-values as 32bit ints (whether it's meant to be signed or not, I don't know) containing the value as meters. Assuming that the firmware also stores the value as 32bit, that would mean that the "looping" back to 0 for unsigned value would happen after 232 meters, that's 4294967296 meters, or 4294967.296 kilometers. Even if it were signed, it would still be half of that (over 2.1 million kilometers), after which the value would roll over to -231 (roughly -2.1 billion meters / -2.1 million kilometers). So I don't think that's going to happen, even if you rode it day & night for years on end  ;)

On 5/28/2016 at 5:25 AM, Jean Dublin said:

Any idea on why did this happen? Any known solution?

It really does sound like some sort of failure with the EEPROM memory, or an inability to read/write it. The software probably falls back to some sort of "safe" settings if the ones in the EEPROM are unreadable or corrupted. Did you contact the seller or manufacturer about it? How long was the warranty?

1 hour ago, dmethvin said:

It really does sound like some sort of failure with the EEPROM memory, or an inability to read/write it. The software probably falls back to some sort of "safe" settings if the ones in the EEPROM are unreadable or corrupted. Did you contact the seller or manufacturer about it? How long was the warranty?

Thanks to all for your help! :)

I agree on the "safe"/default settings, as it is always 20km/h after restarting, but the side lights are off, that's definitely not safe or default, or shouldn't be at least... The only problem I have with thjs is that I need to use the app each time I start it (and couldn't take a screenshot to show I'm on the "1000km club" :P )

I sent an email to the general "info" IPS email that is on their English website, the same day I posted this, but still no response.

I'll ask my agent in China to contact the seller about this.

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks.

Hi all,

Good news! Problem solved :)

Now all is back to normal keeping the settings after turned off/on and total mileage shows 100km.

My agent sent me an IPSUtil app to re-write the EUC via bluetooth, here some screenshots. I'd say this app works for many models, not only Lhotz, as on the instruction PDF they show other models.

SN is the unique number of the EUC that can be found on the settings of the normal app, the next field is what you want to rewrite I suppose, not sure about he first number, but then you have what the app would show as model or name of EUC and the battery size it would show, not sure of 32, 1 either, on the instructions I see you can put 0 instead of 1 too... My agent told me what to put for mine.

Screenshot_2016-06-03-08-27-43.png

Screenshot_2016-06-03-08-35-23.png

Screenshot_2016-06-03-08-35-42.png

Here the APP attached just in case anyone needs it. (As usual, use it at your own risk ;) )

IPS新程序——里程清零恢复.apk

3 hours ago, Jean Dublin said:

Hi all,

Good news! Problem solved :)

Now all is back to normal keeping the settings after turned off/on and total mileage shows 100km.

My agent sent me an IPSUtil app to re-write the EUC via bluetooth, here some screenshots. I'd say this app works for many models, not only Lhotz, as on the instruction PDF they show other models.

SN is the unique number of the EUC that can be found on the settings of the normal app, the next field is what you want to rewrite I suppose, not sure about he first number, but then you have what the app would show as model or name of EUC and the battery size it would show, not sure of 32, 1 either, on the instructions I see you can put 0 instead of 1 too... My agent told me what to put for mine.

Screenshot_2016-06-03-08-27-43.png

Screenshot_2016-06-03-08-35-23.png

Screenshot_2016-06-03-08-35-42.png

Here the APP attached just in case anyone needs it. (As usual, use it at your own risk ;) )

IPS新程序——里程清零恢复.apk

Nice! Sorry I couldn't help ?

• 3 weeks later...

I have just had a similar issue, though in my case the IamIPS app would shutdown immediately after connecting to my Lhotz - I think because the data being passed from the wheel was supplying non-numeric data into numeric fields (ie. total milage).

@Jurgen - The app above (which I was directed to use too) appears to connect to the wheel and rewrite the EPROM with some default values. 

This corrects any corruption and gets everything working correctly - custom settings being stored / accessed / et cetera. Though in doing this the total milage was wiped (set to 100km).

8 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I have just had a similar issue, though in my case the IamIPS app would shutdown immediately after connecting to my Lhotz - I think because the data being passed from the wheel was supplying non-numeric data into numeric fields (ie. total milage).

@Jurgen - The app above (which I was directed to use too) appears to connect to the wheel and rewrite the EPROM with some default values. 

This corrects any corruption and gets everything working correctly - custom settings being stored / accessed / et cetera. Though in doing this the total milage was wiped (set to 100km).

you should be able unlock the 30kph with the app in attachment (android)

XIMA-ver1.1.3-limit-30.apk

1 hour ago, Jurgen said:

you should be able unlock the 30kph with the app in attachment (android)

XIMA-ver1.1.3-limit-30.apk

The app that Jean Dublin shared above effectively did the same thing - as the mileage is reset to 100km, the full speed is unlocked also. 

When my EPROM corrupted it was annoying not being able to check battery voltage, et cetera - but the worst part was that I was 3km short of unlocking 30km/h when it screwed up. But that kept me motivated though to fix it, and now all is good. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/06/2016 at 11:49 AM, Paddylaz said:
On 26/06/2016 at 8:10 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Hi Fat,

This alwayd happens to me, I have to make sure the app is not open in the background by closing it to avoid it crashing after "opening" it, as it will open from the background, if I don't it crashes and then it is closed too and next time I open it loads when opening and all OK.

Not sure why this happens, however not a big issue ;)

• 5 weeks later...

I have a similar issue with my ips 122 and I installed the ips util app from above but I am having a hard time figuring out what the first string of numbers '0810' in your case and '1' mean.  The rest I can figure out from the iamips app.  And advice available?

@Keith McDade I'd say based on @Jean Dublin pictures and the images in the instructions that it's the first 4 numbers in the serial number.

But it's all a guess but it looks as it could be your answer.

Anyone figured out 32? Could there be additional settings for speed and tiltback hidden here? ;-)

*(ok get it 32 is probably cell count)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/08/2016 at 8:01 PM, Keith McDade said:

I have a similar issue with my ips 122 and I installed the ips util app from above but I am having a hard time figuring out what the first string of numbers '0810' in your case and '1' mean.  The rest I can figure out from the iamips app.  And advice available?

Hi Keith, to be honest, no idea.

My buying agent got that line from the Taobao Seller.

It is quite surprising I can't find anything else online about this IPSutil app, maybe in Chinese :P

• 2 months later...
On 6/3/2016 at 3:48 AM, Jean Dublin said:

My agent sent me an IPSUtil app to re-write the EUC via bluetooth,

Today I opened the IamIPS app for the first time in quite a while and was startled to find my total km was 0 and my speed limit was locked to 20 km/h. My case was slightly different from yours, because the 25 and 30 km/h settings were completely gone from the screen, whereas you could change it to 30 but it would not save the setting.

I tried several different versions of the app found in this forum, but none would show anything other than 0 km total, and none would show an option to change the speed limit to 30 km.

Finally I found the IPSUtil you posted here, and it fixed my problem (except that my true total km is gone, and now shows 100 km). The 25 and 30 km/h options are back and they do save properly. So thank you for posting the UPSUtil! Since we still don't know what the 0 or 1 at the end of the "type" line means, I used 1 as the last character since it worked for you.

Archived