Ips i130+ died from firmware update...help

Jimmy Kru

I was updating my wheel with iamips.app. and then when it was done the wheel wont turn on. When i press wheel power button it seems like the wheel works like a one eight of its power. And the power button is not lit up. Any suggestions?

I wonder if it is possible for APP programmers to do a firmware read / download first before flashing so there might be a chance for software recovery of the old firmware if something should glitch.  Or at least there should be some sort of low level hardware method to force a recovery flash somehow if all else fails.  Replacing bombed control boards due to a bad flash is so old school.

Ideally there should be some way to store a spare copy of the current firmware in flash rom or rom so if a new flash fails shorting a jumper should enable a recovery copy of the backup firmware.  A basic working copy of the firmware that the wheel shipped with should always be available and built-in to flash back to if need be or at least have some hardware trigger to be able to load firmware from USB drive or SD card if something glitches very badly.  Incorporating firmware flashing error contingencies can avoid a lot of customer grief...

Dual "BIOS" / firmware feature is nothing new and could be easily implemented in any such board but will indeed increase the cost a little bit which at most of those cheaply produced items is a "problem".

I guess it's similar to some of those cheap Chinese android/Windows tablets where if you flash the wrong bios it's pretty much dead unless you order an EPROM programmer to reload the Bios onboard using a push pin connector or smd clip.  

For these EUCs which cost close to $1000 on average versus a $100-200 tablet you would think they could build in some safeguards or recovery contingencies like having a low level USB firmware reload on the control board or something at least. JTAG?  SDcard port?

Yeah - at least JTAG would be better then nothing resulting in replacement of the whole board. That would be basically zero cost added to the board.

That's good to hear that it still connects.  They should have a list of firmware in the app so you can simply choose your previous version and get riding again rather than needing to wait.  If one doesn't work, there should be some sort of fallback method to rely on to minimize a customer's downtime.

• 3 weeks later...

So i contacted them and they totaly fucked up but they are trying to play it off. Their engeneer closed the update function in the app a month ago, but he obviosly didnt close it properly because it updated me to 0.0.0 version. Now its brainless hardware. N they wont sell me just the controll board. Any one know where i can get just control board

Archived