When trying to connect the Android app to a Ninebot Mini (not Pro) manufactured in 2015, I am asked for a 6-digit Bluetooth password.  I have suspicions that this scooter has been used before and that someone set a password already.  I am trying to find out how to reset the scooter.  I've found the Speedyfeet video for resetting the Ninebot One, but this is the most I can find for the NBM:

若忘记改密码,可以通过将平衡车倒置,然后开机并转动车轮进行解锁,解锁后手机APP链接平衡车无需输入车辆密码

Translations mention inverting the scooter, powering it on, then something about rotating wheels.  The wheels themselves do start rotating in alternating directions while powered on and inverted, and I've also tried stopping the wheels by hand, which powers them down while the scooter remains on and the Bluetooth icon flashing.  The app still asks me for a 6-number password, and the scooter itself powers off after a short while.

Any ideas?

5 hours ago, jarz21 said:

When trying to connect the Android app to a Ninebot Mini (not Pro) manufactured in 2015, I am asked for a 6-digit Bluetooth password.  I have suspicions that this scooter has been used before and that someone set a password already.  I am trying to find out how to reset the scooter.  I've found the Speedyfeet video for resetting the Ninebot One, but this is the most I can find for the NBM:

Translations mention inverting the scooter, powering it on, then something about rotating wheels.  The wheels themselves do start rotating in alternating directions while powered on and inverted, and I've also tried stopping the wheels by hand, which powers them down while the scooter remains on and the Bluetooth icon flashing.  The app still asks me for a 6-number password, and the scooter itself powers off after a short while.

Any ideas?

I think your procedure is just about right - turn Ninebot mini upside down, then power it on, wait till the wheels stop spinning/you get failure alarm. One of ninebot mini pro users got this to work...

Thanks for the response, Vik.  I just turned it upside down, rested it on my legs (not sure else how to support it while inverted without putting all of the weight on the fenders), and not sure if it's bad to have pressure on the foot pads).  After about 5 minutes, the wheels never stopped their alternating spinning, and the app was still asking for a password.  I'll have to try supporting it some other way and doing it again.

Edited by jarz21

Even when upside down, trying to connect via Bluetooth requires a password.  I've tried 000000, 123456, 666666, and any other random password I can think of.  No success.

Here's a video showing what is happening when I power it on upside down:  https://youtu.be/9NrX8TW_7xw.  You can see how each wheel spins in an opposite direction, then they alternate directions.  It may be hard to tell, but most of the rear LEDs flash blue, with a couple staying a solid green.  It will do this indefinitely if not stopped by hand.  Once stopped by hand, the wheels can each be spun feeling.  The Bluetooth symbol will flash with the wheels spinning or with them stopped.  In both cases the app prompts me for a password, and nothing I enter is accepted.  The unit will stay powered on for 30 seconds once the wheels are stopped by hand and then will shut down.

The especially annoying thing is that I don't have a charger for it, and the battery is down to a single bar.  I'm running out of chances to even test resetting it :\

Edited by jarz21

It appears to be locked at beginner speed (or at least shows the icon on the scooter).  Being that I'm new to all of this and the battery is nearly dead, I'm reluctant to even attempt higher speeds on it.  I doubt there's enough battery power to even get past the distance to unlock anything, and I didn't want to try to scrounge up a charger until I resolved the password issue.  Things aren't looking great...  But thank you for the thoughts.

Now if only I could figure out who the Ninebot Mini Pro user that got this to work is.

@jarz21 The person I am talking about is not a member of this forum I am afraid. He is from alternative non-english discussion board.

I've contacted him and gave him a link to your youtube  video. He said that he got it to work without big problems almost on his first try. Same procedure as on your video.The only extra thing he did is to first turn mini pro upside down. Then gave it another go with turning upside down and leaning the mini 45 degrees to the side (as in speedyfeet's guide).

@Vik's I really appreciate you reaching out to the other forum member.  The scooter appears to do the same thing (lights and wheels spinning) when angling it at 45 degrees, and still asks me for a password.  I also tried removing the battery for about a half hour and reinstalling the Android app, but no luck.

One thing that I did notice, though:  when upside down, there are two solid green LEDs, while the rest flash blue.  Each of the green LEDs turns red when I push on the foot pad on that side.  Holding both foot pads while upside down did not change anything, and the app still asked for a password.

I've been trying to connect using the Ninebot v3.5.0 Android app, and @jojo33 suggested I try an older version.  The only thing I can really come up with is Ninedroid v2.1.6, and that doesn't even find the scooter when I tap the Bluetooth icon in the app.

The battery is now down to a single bar, which is especially frustrating.  It looks like yoycart.com has chargers for sale for around $36 (U.S.) shipped, but I'm reluctant to give my credit card information to another company that I know nothing about.  They claim to accept PayPal, but the option doesn't show up when trying to place an order.

Edited by jarz21

24 minutes ago, jarz21 said:

@Vik's I really appreciate you reaching out to the other forum member.  The scooter appears to do the same thing (lights and wheels spinning) when angling it at 45 degrees, and still asks me for a password.  I also tried removing the battery for about a half hour and reinstalling the Android app, but no luck.

One thing that I did notice, though:  when upside down, there are two solid green LEDs, while the rest flash blue.  Each of the green LEDs turns red when I push on the foot pad on that side.  Holding both foot pads while upside down did not change anything, and the app still asked for a password.

I've been trying to connect using the Ninebot v3.5.0 Android app, and @jojo33 suggested I try an older version.  The only thing I can really come up with is Ninedroid v2.1.6, and that doesn't even find the scooter when I tap the Bluetooth icon in the app.

The battery is now down to a single bar, which is especially frustrating.  It looks like yoycart.com has chargers for sale for around $36 (U.S.) shipped, but I'm reluctant to give my credit card information to another company that I know nothing about.  They claim to accept PayPal, but the option doesn't show up when trying to place an order.

On aliexpress its more safety for buy same refund with PayPal rules

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to update folks on this issue.  The seller seemed as though they were going to help me resolve the problem by showing me how to reset the Ninebot Mini.  They sent me this video to illustrate the reset process (and perhaps this will be of use to some folks):

The process seems very similar to that which was suggested in previous posts:  turn the scooter upside-down, spin a wheel, and the scooter is reset.  One notable problem with the video posted above by the Chinese technicians who work for the seller is that the Android app that they show is not the same as the one that I had downloaded either from the Google Play store or from Ninebot's website:  http://www.ninebot.cn/App-app.html.  I tried the process shown in the above video many times to no avail:

No matter what I did, the app always asks for a password.  The technician is able to enter 9 numbers into their app, but the version of the app that I have will not allow me to enter any more or less than 6 digits for a Bluetooth password.  I requested that they try the app that I am using from the Ninebot website, and they do not seem willing to do so (or did and realize that it doesn't work).  Now, despite never having received a fully functional scooter (because I have never been able to connect to it with my smartphone), they are trying to charge me to return the scooter to their California warehouse before they will send a replacement, with no guarantees that I'll have any better luck or that it will even arrive with the charger and other accessories that they failed to send with the first scooter.  I estimate the return shipping would cost me around $60 US, which is notable portion of what I had paid already.

This has been a painful and long process.  I really wanted this scooter to work out for me, and it seems that my patience with the seller is now causing me even more trouble.

So, if anyone has any suggestions for what I am doing wrong in trying to reset my scooter based on the Android app above and the two videos, I'm open to suggestions!

Edited by jarz21

@jarz21, What version do you have on your mobile? Is that the latest one, 3.5.1?

If memory serves me right they changed to "Ninebot by Segway" logo in 3.4.0 so the technician must be using a lower version than that.

I'm going to take a wild guess here - but, maybe it's just as simple as it only working with an iphone? Hmm....

I do have Android app v3.5.1 installed.  I've tried 3.4.1, 3.4.0, and 3.3.1, but they all appear to have the same problem.  Very good point about the iPhone, though.  I didn't notice that the technician was using one.  I'll have to see if a friend with an iPhone/Pad/Pod can help me out.

@John Eucist Apologies; hadn't seen the Ninebot Mini forum in the list when I first posted.  Thanks for the clarification.

@Vik's I had a friend install the Ninebot app on his iPad and got the same repeated prompts for a password as I had with the Android app.  So it looks like I've hit every dead end possible.  At this point I'm just going to return the scooter to the seller and get a refund.  They've finally agreed to reimburse me for return shipping, so at least I'm not out that money.  Of course, I had purchased the tall trolley handle with the smartphone holder, so I'm still out that money from another seller, but I can at least see if someone else has use for that.  Seemed like a quality product that made a big difference for ease of scooter use (in my limited tests with it).  I appreciate all of your help and suggestions.

• Upvote 1

Turns out I may not have any choice but to get another Mini.  The seller said they'd only refund return shipping if they exchange the scooter.  My biggest concern is that, after speaking with someone from one of their warehouses in CA, there's a good chance that the replacement will have been built after April/ May 2016, meaning I won't be able to activate it without a Chinese phone number.  Meanwhile, PayPal wants me to ship the scooter back to China (even though it was shipped from California/ US), and I would have to pay that shipping cost.  The easiest solution would be to figure out how to actually reset the scooter, but nothing has worked so far.  And here I am trying every 6-digit Bluetooth password I can think of to unlock this thing...

On 6/23/2016 at 4:27 AM, Vik's said:

@jarz21, It is not that bad when it comes to activating of Xiaomi mini. Phone number is not necessary, but you should spoof your geolocation before you start the activation process.

Hmm, I thought that all Minis made after April 2016 required a Chinese phone number to activate.  Not sure how that could only apply to the Pro.  But good point about location!  I guess I just put my phone in airplane mode with GPS off and change the timezone to China?

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say, the described method worked for me.

One of my friends changed the bluetooth code, when he tested the device, and forgot to tell me.

When I got the device back, I discovered that a few hours later.

I did the following:

I uninstalled the Ninebot App from my Smartphone via Android, deleting Cache and all Data via the Uninstaller, and reinstalled it from Playstore without connecting it to the Mini.

Then I turned the Mini upside down, and turned it on.

Now I started the App on the smartphone and could connect immediately without entering a password, then I changed the password to a fresh one (without the need to enter the old one).

Now I turned the Mini and the App off, turned the Mini back on, standing normally, and could connect with the App again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On May 20, 2016 at 8:22 AM, jarz21 said:

Any ideas?

Hi Kevin , I think when you return the scooter then they send to me bcause I have the same exact problem and I even contacted Segway they said to do the upside down crap which doesn't work , most likely this happens when Somone else before us regesters it , because I had bought 1 before this and that was Brenda new and took a sec to work with app, this one they told me is also Brand new but lied because I can tell its used

• 3 years later...