LEGALITY CROWDSOURCING

vladmarks

12 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

@vladmarks

you can add Thailand on You List:

the Land of The free :-)

completly allowed As i understood The FB group "Kingsong Thailand"

.....and i also Drive with them 30 km through Bangkok and at least saw/Meet more than 20 Cops which just said nothing ....We were going by them on The streets no probs

Thanks a lot, I assume it's just undefined at the moment, but it's good to mention anyway.

18 hours ago, J.T. said:

I live in the Washington DC metro area, collectively known as the DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia). I have information on Virginia (positive) and DC (positive), but not Maryland

Thanks for the feedback! Any negative encounters in Maryland? 

On 5/26/2016 at 9:31 AM, vladmarks said:

Thanks for the feedback! Any negative encounters in Maryland? 

I've only ridden a couple of times in Maryland, and only for short distances.  So far, I have not encountered anything negative.

I live in NYC (Brooklyn) and I ride both in Brooklyn and in the city and I can tell you that none of the cops (and traffic cops) give a crap about EUCs. I rode my EUC in front of a line of literally 15 traffic cops all in a straight line on the side walk and none of them said anything. I also rode next to cops both on the street while it was raining and I had my umbrella on in a bike lane, and on the sidewalk and the same thing.

To be honest, most of the time the cops stop me, it's to ask me "what is that thing?". Which I then proceed to tell them it's a EUC which is different than a Hoverboard, and I offer to let them try it. I haven't had a cop accept my request lol.

There was only one time a cop stopped me because I was riding on the sidewalk and actually he just laughed and asked me to stay safe and to ride on the street.

Also, there is no specific law in NYC that says that they are banned. There are some rules for MTA (Subway system) that says that Hoverboards are not allowed on the train, however, cops haven't said anything when I bring my wheel, and I also see some people carrying electric scooters. There is also legislation in Queens to fully legalize (Clarify) Hoverboards and EUCs.

Edited by fearedbliss
  • Upvote 2

• 4 months later...

Thank you for trying to organize this. I am working with a Texas state representative right now to not only define EUCs as "Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Devies" (EPAMD), but to also permit them to be anywhere a regular bicycle can be and also on sidewalks.

• Upvote 2

Although the UK law seems to rule EUC's out, in practice I am never stopped, and I regularly ride past police, both on foot, and in cars. If they are interested at all, they seem universally more interested in / impressed by the ability and practicality of the vehicle itself than in preventing me riding mine safely on the pavement and on dedicated cycle paths. It is my hope that by demonstrating again and again that it is possible to ride these units in a safe and considerate way, that the law will eventually catch up and lift the silly restrictions currently in place because everyone fears anything new.

I have also found that it is worth writing to the operators of various public spaces to make the case for specific permission to ride there. I have secured permission to ride in several shopping centers / town walkways etc and mostly find that if you make your case about safe riding well enough (I send them video of me safely riding the area I am applying to ride in!), they will often grant permission, sometimes even in places where cycling is actively prohibited. I take that as progress, of a sort.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/10/2016 at 11:58 AM, Cerbera said:

Although the UK law seems to rule EUC's out, in practice I am never stopped, and I regularly ride past police, both on foot, and in cars. If they are interested at all, they seem universally more interested in / impressed by the ability and practicality of the vehicle itself than in preventing me riding mine safely on the pavement and on dedicated cycle paths. It is my hope that by demonstrating again and again that it is possible to ride these units in a safe and considerate way, that the law will eventually catch up and lift the silly restrictions currently in place because everyone fears anything new.

I have also found that it is worth writing to the operators of various public spaces to make the case for specific permission to ride there. I have secured permission to ride in several shopping centers / town walkways etc and mostly find that if you make your case about safe riding well enough (I send them video of me safely riding the area I am applying to ride in!), they will often grant permission, sometimes even in places where cycling is actively prohibited. I take that as progress, of a sort.

It's great progress actually. Authorities within London Boroughts tend to be a bit more prohibitive. Hasn't reflected on me financially (no bills, tickets etc), but some of the private parks are completely against this stuff. 

On 5/19/2016 at 9:05 AM, vladmarks said:

Hey guys,

An Idea visited me a long time ago to create a legality map to point all the countries over the world that have a specific positive/negative relationship with Segways, EUCs and other rideable devices. After 6 months of research, I've formed a more/less comprehensive list, which is, however, becoming obsolete quite rapidly.

Here's where I need your help! If you spot that your country's status is wrong / has changed / is not mentioned at all, please add a note in the comments. Even more important, please throw in official references to docs if you have access to them online. You can see below that some countries have official documents attached to the status, which is an ideal scenario to build a transparent database of info.

The whole thing will become a clickable flash version located on one of our websites (probably a non-profit one). 

Switzerland (negative, ongoing) Electric unicycles are included in the latest statement, the riders are obliged to obtain a number plate and an insurance; it is legal to ride on the bicycle routes in case these documents can be provided by a rider. The issue persists that there is still no framework to register an electric unicycle, nor place a number plate as a result. The overall legislation is slightly more forward thinking than the one in the UK for instance; however, it still prevents EUC users to legally ride their devices anywhere. https://www.news.admin.ch/message/index.html?lang=de&msg-id=56870

Japan (negative, ongoing) Electric scooters, hoverboards, segways and wheels are being tested in designated areas of big cities and science parks, including Tsukuba City science park and Futako Tamagawa area in Tokyo (Hoffman Japan's private research)

Hong Kong (negative) Due to the legal framework originating from the United Kingdom's legislative documents, it is not allowed for electric personal transport users to ride on pavements, roads or in any other public areas. Official press release: http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/201505/06/P201505060417.htm

Singapore (positive) Similar to HK, with the majority of related legislations originating from the British framework, personal electric vehicles were not allowed anywhere except private property. However, early 2016 the Government agreed on the usage of electric unicycles on pavements. http://www.stuff.tv/sg/features/all-you-need-know-about-owning-pev-in-singapore

UK (negative) We are all familiar with the situation, here's the detailed explanation http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road_traffic_offences/#dot

Canada (passive negative) Being motorised, hoverboards and eucs are not allowed on sidewalks or roads, but the law is not enforced nor there is any recorded bad publicity. However, several sources state electric unicycles are equal to motorised mobility scooters.

Germany (negative) Electric unicycles are banned from the road and pavement usage along with hoverboards http://ewheels.org/sites/default/files/Homologation_overview_Germany_ENG_2015.pdf

Netherlands (neutral) Electric unicycles do not fall into any categories described as vehicles at the moment, making them non-compliant to any rules and restrictions. Unlike hoverboards that were recently proclaimed illegal on pavements and roads, electric unicycles are still in a grey area of legislation of Netherlands that classifies a rider of such thing as a pedestrian. http://wetten.overheid.nl/BWBR0004825/2014-03-20

Russia (positive) Electric unicycles are allowed on pavements

Czech Republic (positive, ongoing) Electric unicycles are allowed on pavements with the speed not exceeding the walking pace, and cycling lanes with a speed limit of a generic bike. A slightly stricter framework is currently being developed by the road police in major cities. Ideally, the new regulations will allow local authorities to prohibit the usage of Segways and other rideable gadgets in certain areas, coming down to being able to ban them, for instance, in a single particular zone of Prague. http://www.ibesip.cz/data/web/novela-361-web.pdf

Sweden (positive) Electric unicycles are equal to e-mopeds and e-bikes and allowed on cycling paths

Finland (positive) Electric unicycles are equal to mopeds and bikes and are allowed on cycling lanes as long as they comply with the framework (front/back lights, helmet). They are also allowed on walkways and pavements if moving at a walking pace. http://www.lvm.fi/-/lightweight-electric-vehicles-to-be-legal-in-road-traffic-796805

Denmark (negative, ongoing) Electric rideables are currently under review by the commission and are being tested against stress situations. 

Luxembourg (positive) Electric unicycles are allowed on cycling lanes and pavements under 6km/h. The rules differ for various kinds of rideables: http://electricity.lu/index.php/fr/legislation-des-vehicules

France, Belgium (positive) Electric unicycles are allowed on pavements and walkways, based on Segway European directive. http://electricity.lu/index.php/fr/legislation-des-vehicules

Australia (negative) Electric unicycles, along with other light motorised vehicles, are banned from use in public (neither pedestrian, nor cycling paths). However, that may depend on each state's local legislation, which we are looking into at the moment.

Norway (positive) Electric unicycles are legal to ride over the age of 16 and under 20kph, can be ridden in pedestrianized areas (walking speed), sidewalks and roads (under 60km/h). https://www.regjeringen.no/contentassets/f98f2c6a883e4ca1a3874d0c6326fe3e/endringer_selvbalanserende_juni2014b.pdf

Israel (neutral) There are no regulations in place neither to prohibit electric rideables nor designate a particular area to use them on. It's fair to assume that electric unicycles are equated to skateboards and kick scooters and should be ridden on pavements and sidewalks.

Thailand (neutral) There have been no cases of being stopped by the police or having a vehicle ceased. There has nor been legislations evolving around personal electric vehicles.

United States

NYC (negative) Hoverboards are banned from the usage on the sidewalks and roads of New York City, together with electric unicycles and electric skateboards.

California (positive) , however in the state of California they are allowed on the cycling lanes, a rider needs to wear a helmet and not exceed 20mph, and sustainable motor power of less than 1000W. 

Washington State (positive) The bill dated 7/24/2015 specifically states that a single-wheeled device can be operated on sidewalks and residential streets. 

Virginia (positive) With a maximum speed limited to 25 mph, you can ride an electric mobility device on a sidewalk, street or cycling lane. 

Washington DC (positive) Electric rideables, including electric unicycles, are permitted on sidewalks and cycling lanes, with an exception of Central Business District area. Personal Mobility Devices (PMD) are not considered motorised vehicles (although they are?)

(If anyone feels like elaborating on the legal situation in other states of the US, we will be able to create a separate map for this)

Let's create a comprehensive table together! 

Mexico positive, however the sidewalks are really bad full of cracks even on the downtown area, it is like riding offroad all the time, however as far as the law it is positive.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, checho said:

Mexico positive, however the sidewalks are really bad full of cracks even on the downtown area, it is like riding offroad all the time, however as far as the law it is positive.

Thanks! Positive as in there's a legal document mentioning types of personal electric vehicles? If you have any links, i'll be happy to reference it.

Cracks - yeah. Roads and cycling lanes are a bit more wheel friendly in the end. But if you have 16"+ size wheel, shouldn't be a major problem right?

• Upvote 1

On 1 october 2016 there have been some slight changes in the Belgian Law.

EUC are formaly recognized as personal mobility vehicles.

We are equal to pedestrians when used at slow speed and are considerd biciyles with a max speed of 18 Km/h.

here u find a link to the complete text. http://wegcode.be/wetteksten/secties/kb/wegcode/100-art2

The discription of the EUC is in article 2.15.2

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2016-5-19 at 6:05 PM, vladmarks said:

The whole thing will become a clickable flash version located on one of our websites (probably a non-profit one). 

Did that actually happen and where? 

I did a bit of research on this before giving up as each county and city has their own law.

This is for Missouri: the entire state follows the Segway law which basically allows personal mobility devices (PMD) to be used on both sidewalks and streets, with due care given to pedestrians. Amusingly the speed is limited to 20mph which in my opinion is quite fast, as fast as a pro on a bicycle. However, the state law allows counties and cities to put more restrictive laws in place over state law. 

This is where it gets tricky and pointless: the more affluent counties and cities (read, white and Asian) allow PMD to be used with few restrictions whereby the poor neighborhoods (read, black) are entirely restrictive. And when I say restrictive I mean only cars and pedestrians allowed. No skateboards, bicycles, rollerblades, Segways, EUC's, hoverboards, wheelchairs, I mean nothing. Even bicycles aren't allowed on many if not most roads!

One could almost take a map of restrictive law and overlay it over poverty areas; I'm sure there'd be an extremely strong correlation. In fact, I know there is as the Federal Justice Department has pointed this out, repeatedly, as recently as this year. Average parking ticket in Clayton where I live is $15 but the average parking ticket in Furgeson is $115. I got a ticket once in a black neighborhood; it cost me $100 and I even tried fighting it. No dice.

While I'm pretty sure that if I were to venture into these neighborhoods I'd get a beat-down just because I'm <not> black and well-dressed, I also bemoan the fact the pimp-hand is being strongly and unjustly applied to black neighborhoods. You cannot apply such laws and not expect resentment! And this is true racial discrimination because it is applied legally to a black majority.

Savage laws for savage people (http://www.slmpd.org/crime_mapping.shtml some of these black neighborhoods have crime rates at least 30 times higher than their white affluent counterparts!), yes I understand that, but it strongly goes against my sense of fair play. Everyone should have the same opportunity to make a damned fool of themselves with an EUC or other modes of transportation.

Lest you think of me as a social liberal, I also find great irritation of the "punch a suspected Nazi" fad where people even suspected of being a Nazi get physically beaten.

I would totally be in favor of a Federal law that executed people who accused another of being a Nazi if the accused was 1) not a member of the Nazi party, 2) has not paid up yearly membership dues to the Nazi party.

Anyway, this is just a rant ("he's on a roll").

What I mean to say is expect more positive laws regarding EUC's where social trust is high, and draconian nonsensical negatives laws where social trust is low.

• Upvote 2

On 5/19/2016 at 7:05 PM, vladmarks said:

Finland (positive) Electric unicycles are equal to mopeds and bikes and are allowed on cycling lanes as long as they comply with the framework (front/back lights, helmet). They are also allowed on walkways and pavements if moving at a walking pace. http://www.lvm.fi/-/lightweight-electric-vehicles-to-be-legal-in-road-traffic-796805

This isn't right, even the linked article doesn't mention mopeds.

Lightweight devices that travel at a maximum speed of 15 km/h would be comparable to kickboards and roller skates, i.e. pedestrian traffic regulations would apply. The use of devices that assist or replace walking has thus far only been permitted for the disabled. This restriction would be eliminated.

The traffic regulations that apply to cyclists could also apply to larger transportation devices that travel at a maximum speed of 25 km/h, but self-balancing devices such as Segways may be used on pedestrian walkways, if they are driven at a walking pace.

Just as is the case with bicycles, these devices must be equipped with reflectors and a bell or horn. Just like cyclists, users of these devices must use a helmet. The use of a helmet shall be required for all ATVs that do not have a protective frame.

The law was passed and came into force 1.1.2016.

Light electric vehicles capable of up to 15km/h max speed are counted as pedestrians, whereas those up to 25km/h follow bicycle traffic rules. The are also maximum width-definitions (might have been something like 80cm / 0.8m max), above which the vehicle is illegal. Vehicles falling into either category do not need registration, license to operate, regular inspections or insurance. They must have similar reflectors and signaling devices as required for bicycles (signaling device like a bell, yellow/orange reflectors to sides, yellow/orange reflectors in front and back of pedals, red reflector and/or light to back, white reflector to front, must have a front light if ridden in dark). Personally I use a "finger-bell" and colored reflector tapes.

Anything faster is illegal (which is why my KS16S is of course 1000W / 25km/h max -device :ph34r:), maybe such could be technically tried to be registered as a moped, but in reality I doubt it would ever pass the registration & inspection requirements nor would any insurance company give the required traffic insurance, plus it would have to be driven in car lanes at most places (some of the bikelanes are marked as "light traffic lanes" which are allowed for mopeds, but most are not). 

For both 15km/h & 25km/h classes, the maximum nominal motor power is 1000W (1kW). I recall that the actual law text says that helmet use is "recommended", but not actually enforced, and I think it was mentioned somewhere that technically police could fine people for riding without helmet (including bicycles), but I've never heard of anyone getting fined. Personally I still ride with a full-face motor cycle helmet at all times.

The "self-balancing" -portion has a clarification in the law-texts that the device must be capable of self-balancing and staying in place without a rider, so technically that rules out EUCs from the riding in pedestrian walkways. Not sure on Segways or hoverboards (they might start moving if left alone on a slanted road?), but at least 3- and 4-wheeled electric scooters capable of 25km/h max are allowed on walkways, although not technically "self-balancing", it seems that the bureacrats think "self-balancing" as a vehicle that can stay in perfect balance and in place on it's own :facepalm::

Sellaista itsestään tasapainottuvaa kevyttä sähköajoneuvoa, joka pysyy tasapainossa myös silloin kun ajoneuvo ei liiku tai siinä ei ole kuljettajaa, saa kuitenkin kävelynopeudella kuljettaa myös jalkakäytävällä noudattaen jalankulkijoita koskevia säännöksiä. Tällöin kuljettajan on annettava jalankulkijalle esteetön kulku.

Translates about as Such a self-balancing light electric vehicle, which also stays balanced when the vehicle is not moving or there is no rider (or "driver"), may be ridden (or "driven") in pedestrian walkways at walking speed following the rules governing pedestrians. In such a case, the rider/driver must give pedestrians a "free/unobstructed passage" ("esteetön kulku" translates a bit badly, basically saying that you may not block walkways or stand in anyone's way, and must give room to pedestrians at all times).

Not an issue really to me, since this city has something like 450+ kilometers of bikelanes, and it's actually possible to ride from one end of the city to the other through bikelanes without ever even taking a single zebra-crossing across car lanes or passing through walkways (but often not in the shortest possible route). The downtown's more problematic (there are places where there are no separate bikelanes, so bicycles / EUCs etc must ride at the right edge of the car lane, unless the rider is under 12 year old, in which case they may use pedestrian walkways), but I haven't ridden there much anyway.

There's also a recent thesis from "Police University College" (their translation, Poliisiammattikorkeakoulu for the Finns) about "Light electric vehicles in road traffic", March 2017, but when I skimmed through it maybe a couple of months back, it didn't have much at all talk about EUCs, mostly it's just looking at the light electric vehicle-category in general, going over the (very little) available incident statistics and whether it's possible to commit DUI on light electric vehicle (only in Finnish):  https://www.theseus.fi/bitstream/handle/10024/124200/ON_HAUTALA.pdf?sequence=1

I started riding here in late April 2015, at which point the devices were still completely illegal (basically, AFAIK, if it's not allowed in law, it's illegal by default). Seen cops up close many, many times back then and since, but they never bothered to stop or otherwise hassle me. Probably it helps that I ride carefully when there's other traffic around and wear full protection + reflectors.

As for the mess of rules regarding intersections with bikes here's a page describing everything most situationshttp://otsokivekas.fi/2010/08/kuvitettu-pikaopas-risteyspyorailyyn/   Of course, all the bicyclers know these rules and million exceptions by heart? :D :facepalm:

Edited by esaj
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

Germany: The above Link is correct to what I know but it only handles the device itself. The action of driving then is just a bit more obscure: Because the EUC is offically a motor-vehicle you need a driver license and because it is not a two-wheels-one-track-vehicle a moped-license does not fit and if you have no full car-license you are driving without.

This is all because no-one had expected motorized one-wheeled motorized vehicles could be possible. And I think that is the problem: They have to manage the whole classification of vehicles...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/20/2016 at 12:22 PM, johrhoj said:

The Netherlands (neutral)

In The Netherlands a one wheeled object is not a vehicle, which means that no insurance or plate or something like that is needed. Your status is as if you are a pedestrian.

You may go on sidewalks and bycicle paths. When that is not possible you may go at the extreme side of the road. This of course only when pedestrians are allowed.

Local police may issue ruling for EUCs, but to my knowledge, no such rulings exist yet. Many a policeman has seen me going, and never have they pulled me over. I know of one fine for a EUcyclist in The Netherlands, but I think it was unfounded.

Already at least two drivers (including me) have their wheels confiscated and are awaiting a fine and the destruction of the wheel. The charge: Driving a motorised vehicle  uninsured and without licence plate.

• Upvote 1

On 4/24/2018 at 12:18 PM, Lex said:

Already at least two drivers (including me) have their wheels confiscated and are awaiting a fine and the destruction of the wheel. The charge: Driving a motorised vehicle  uninsured and without licence plate.

I am now almost three years EUCing. The text you quoted is about two years old.

In the early days I did contact the RDW (dutch traffic law organization) and they replied to me that the EUC was not a vehicle, and therefor not a motorized vehicle. The RDW cannot give an official ruling in the matter, but when I am stopped by the police (happened a few times) I tell them "The RDW said ... etc." 

The basic definition of "what is a motorized vehicle" (definition section in the law on traffic): anything for transporting a person, relying 100% on a motor, and not moved along rails. This makes the EUC a motorized vehicle, but the vehicle is not in any of the defined vehicle categories.

So where does this leave us?
--- When a EUC is to be allowed on the road, there must be a special permission for the EUC. This is a per brand permission. The rules to get permission are such, that no EUC will ever get this permission. For instance, the vehicle must have a reliable steering installation.
--- If the permission is obtained (somehow) the EUC must be ensured as a motor vehicle (WAM), but to my knowledge, no insurance company will give you such an assurance until the permission to drive your EUC on the road is given.

All the same, I think it is quite childisch of the police to conficate and destroy your EUC, especially because:
--- you are a well behaved and safely participating in traffic
--- you pose no danger to anyone
--- you are environmentally a good alternative for scooters and the like.

The best course of action to remedy the situation is to get gotway, king song, ips, ninebot, and the rest, to seek the forementioned permission for their EUCs. If we could persuade the manufacturers to do so, and if it would succeed, then the EUC-sales in the Netherlands could go sky-high (for those brands), which is the incentive the manufacturers need. I still hope this to become realtiy ... somehow.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I came to exactly the same conclusions as you, although I disagree about the lack of steering installation. I am in contact with Segway (I recently purchased a Ninebot as a spare wheel, which now became my main wheel), but I have little hope that they will take action. I told them I am prepared to put time and effort in legalisation and to go to Wageningen with the wheel in an attempt to have it approved.

Aanvraag keuring

Any suggestions, if you can read Dutch, are very welcome.

• Upvote 1

The kingdom of sPain are a bit trouble maker. The general direction of traffic says is forbidden to use sidepath for any personal mobility device. They must use the road. But many local authorities garant them a place in these sidepaths if they respect some rules:

Barcelona:

1024-03-1024x768.jpg

Madrid:

Clasificaci%C3%B3n-veh%C3%ADculos-Movili

Euc are allowed in bike path and few places more

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

It's a shame this thread is a bit dated now. It's the best, most concise amalgamation of EUC laws around the globe I can find. I would like to try and keep this thread alive, but I don't know if @vladmarks is still updating it. Doesn't look like he has posted since July 2018 which is a shame.

I think info like this is great fodder to use as an argument to allow EUC's into areas where they are illegal. If the legal countries/cities are doing OK with them, then most places should. This info would be great to present to an MP to press for their consideration to allow the use.

I heard France is enforcing a new law for the PLEVs in the coming week. Max speed is 25km/h and cannot be altered by the end user.

Violation fine is EUR1500. Don't know how the officials going to check it?

Can any French users confirm this information?

• 3 months later...

It looks like the information in this thread is a little outdated. There is another one on the same topic , that has a link to a Google Spreadsheet that anyone can edit. The info is more actively maintained (at least for now).

Yet at the same time, the info here is much more comprehensive. It would be great to either merge the two or update the info here and transfer it to the spreadsheet in the other thread (where it's much easier to look up) :)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...