Uniwheel Gadget show

fubar925

29 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

If Siemens was involved, no wonder they failed;)

In all seriousness, the video shows the wheel is really light and narrow, but who wants a slow wheel that can go 10km max? Maybe they just realized nobody would have bought the thing (question is, why no stronger wheel). Seems they also overdesigned the shell. Who needs elaborate software for that, look at the simple shells Gotway gets away with, these are actually superior. I don't understand why other manufacturers go for these complicated designs.

It would be really sad if this was a patent issue. Is Jason Chen hardline about competitors? Or did you think of some other, unrelated patent (troll)?

To be honest, I think I've cracked why they are so evasive on the forum and seemingly don't care about updating here: they were aiming for the big time and failed.

They didn't care about the forum because they THOUGHT they had found a niche: a product that they could market in the UK (far away from asia) as something 'new' that they had created because they thought (correctly) that outside the forum very little of the public knew about them. It was an opportunistic marketing window.

That explains why they took it to random events like the London Motoring Show and GSL, whilst simultaneously showing the forum lukewarm ('lukewarm' is a generous term) attention because they wanted to market it as some sort of new creation to seduce the UK public with.

Anyway, theyve failed spectacularly due to what i assume is a cocktail of incompetence and arrogance. Imagine being arrogant enough to not bother updating an interested (albeit small) group of people desperate to give you their money!!

29 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Haha I didn't know they were so low regarded here:D

Interesting theory, sounds more realistic than actual product problems (otherwise, why not go on with other wheel models if you've already done the hard work).

They werent at first.....

The prototype looked fantastic and initially people were excited (noone more so than me!). This was back before really slick wheels like the inmotion and new generation king songs appeared......so people on the forum were enamoured by it. Despite the low top speed.

Their arrogance though. One of them once wrote a post - in reply to a forum member complaining about the lack of updates - saying 'we're busy and you know the forum is not the only medium where we operate.' 

Really? Well then you're idiots. This forum is the main hub on the entire f****** internet where discussion of these ludicrously niche products THAT YOU ARE TRYING TO SELL US takes place. Here should be your concern ?

• 2 months later...

@vladmarks

Trying mass-marketing of a new niche product like an EUC (high price, steep learning curve, potential safety issues, etc) without the full and unwavering support of the innovators to win over the rest of the client chain, is a bit like starting up a public marketing campaign for condoms in Vatican City without the sanction of the Pope.

Trying to get Uniwheel of the ground is hard, and getting not so positive feedback is even harder, I get that.
Please feel free to listen and learn from people like @Paddylaz here on the forum that live EUC's not just market them.

Pour la petite histoire on marketing expertise:

I knew a guy, ex-marketeer in really big pharma, that started his own business and wanted me to throw in some money.

When I asked him his business plan, he showed me a slide set with pictures of the new office and the assistant (he himself was "too busy preparing the business plan to answer calls") and THE marketing strategy. After I politely congratulated him on his ambitious plans, I asked him again if I could see the business plan, and he went over the slide deck a second time. Needless to day I declined participating in his business.
Six months post-startup he still had zero customers but a much more detailed Marketing Plan slide deck, which helped him to find another moron that invested even more money in the project, so he finally went bankrupt after 12 months instead of 6.
Don't ask me why, but somehow when thinking about Uniwheel this previous experience came to my mind.

Luckily the Chinese put their money, time and effort in building EUC's instead of dreaming up a perfect marketing campaign for a never to be launched product.

Wish you all the best.

16 hours ago, Jurgen said:

Trying mass-marketing of a new niche product like an EUC (high price, steep learning curve, potential safety issues, etc) without the full and unwavering support of the innovators to win over the rest of the client chain, is a bit like starting up a public marketing campaign for condoms in Vatican City without the sanction of the Pope.

Not sure who you're referring to as "innovators". If you mean the production chain members who deliver unique battery, motor components that haven't been seen in a EUC tech before - I can agree with you. None of what Uniwheel has presented so far couldn't be done without innovators. 

If by that word you mean "early adopters", I can safely agree to disagree.

This forum is less of a glorified early adopter lair some think it is (*wink wink* @Paddylaz). That also goes for "Pope in Vatican City". I had a unique chap who came to my London office one day with a set of DIY, custom, fully functional suspension on his IPS that he designed in the garage. This is an innovator type. Now, when an enthusiast comes over to discuss the new models of Kingsong or Inmotion units, bringing valuable thoughts to the table, I love that, too. But this cannot be realistically useful for any of the R&D/manufacturing affairs, as 99% of what that person brings to the table has already been discovered and defined throughout the early stages of development. This is an early stage customer type. 

Not to sound empty and bland, I strongly believe that the feedback on the first generation of Uniwheel was gathered, processed and decided upon. Not sure how would that affect the yet to be released item, but knowing the guys I am certain the outcome is balanced and justified. For one, I think the biggest chunk of feedback was already considered and acted upon by the team - too many marketeers within the team turned into next to none, which explains the lack of comms. 

21 hours ago, vladmarks said:

Not sure how would that affect the yet to be released item, but knowing the guys I am certain the outcome is balanced and justified

And when it is finally launched in 2020 it is going to be THE epic definitive must have wheel.

I can't wait - no literally I cannot wait ?

• 1 month later...

Still, ..., every now and then, I check here for news on this wheel. 
Disappointed again.

On 7-6-2017 at 1:29 PM, Keith said:

And when it is finally launched in 2020 it is going to be THE epic definitive must have wheel.

2020 ... lol, I am starting to think that it will not launch ever. Which is a pity :( 

• 3 months later...
On 6/6/2017 at 3:57 PM, vladmarks said:

Not sure who you're referring to as "innovators". If you mean the production chain members who deliver unique battery, motor components that haven't been seen in a EUC tech before - I can agree with you. None of what Uniwheel has presented so far couldn't be done without innovators. 

If by that word you mean "early adopters", I can safely agree to disagree.

This forum is less of a glorified early adopter lair some think it is (*wink wink* @Paddylaz). That also goes for "Pope in Vatican City". I had a unique chap who came to my London office one day with a set of DIY, custom, fully functional suspension on his IPS that he designed in the garage. This is an innovator type. Now, when an enthusiast comes over to discuss the new models of Kingsong or Inmotion units, bringing valuable thoughts to the table, I love that, too. But this cannot be realistically useful for any of the R&D/manufacturing affairs, as 99% of what that person brings to the table has already been discovered and defined throughout the early stages of development. This is an early stage customer type. 

Not to sound empty and bland, I strongly believe that the feedback on the first generation of Uniwheel was gathered, processed and decided upon. Not sure how would that affect the yet to be released item, but knowing the guys I am certain the outcome is balanced and justified. For one, I think the biggest chunk of feedback was already considered and acted upon by the team - too many marketeers within the team turned into next to none, which explains the lack of comms. 

how's the launch going?

Archived