solowheel orbit the coolest euc

sickswan

I do not see any advantage in this design, beyond the beautiful design itself.

The hole inside does not convert the wheel in a more small or portable device.

And it wastes an excellent space for more battery or a powerfull motor.

Yeah, found it a couple of days ago and fortunately it was in my Youtube history. If you watch the video you'll notice only a couple of action shots with it, which is strange. This video raises a lot of questions.

1. Why does the blonde girl pick the Orbit up and carry it to the tree? Why didn't they ride off?
  2. Why is the only other close-up shot of the Orbit with her carrying it up the stairs?
  3. Why is nobody riding the Orbit in several of the action shots?
  4. Why would the cute Asian girl hold hands with the big dorky guy?

My guess would be that they don't have anything but the design and some mock-up models of the wheel that don't have actually any electronics inside them  ;)  If they even had a working prototype, why not show it (or "accidentally" leak a video to cause some more hype)?  :D

They could be showing off prototypes to get funding, either a normal way or maybe in preparation for a kickstarter.  It is very, very pretty, even if it might not be the most practical.  Saving weight and adding pretty at the expense of range seems like a good trade to me.  Not all of us are taking our wheels out for a cross country trip.  So far the most I can manage is across town.  ;)  

And I would bet that even when I am better and capable of longer trips I probably would still stick to short in town stuff.  I think there would be a market for a very slick, short range wheel.

I admit it looks cool, and the idea sounds like it could work (don't know about the lifespan, probably there'd need to be some sort of gears if the motor is placed on the side of the tire)... I'm personally more interested in speed & range, so not the wheel for me, but I definitely believe there would be a market for that kind of wheel. Me instead, I'm looking at options to expand the battery capacity of the Firewheel for doubling the range or more...  ;)

Edit: Like my signature shows, I've now ridden a total of 64km with the Firewheel over 3 days, and haven't been able to even ride as much as I would have liked, mostly due to bad weather... it hasn't stopped raining until late evening, and after returning, it takes too long to recharge to ride another round before it's time for bed. In that regard, having larger battery would have been nice.

​That video is one of the "The Hobbies" YouTube channel videos which are *ALL* stolen video from other channels with resolution made poorer (for some odd reason), cropped (to get rid of watermarks or logos), and often with the audio track changed.

For example here is the original version of the pirated one you linked:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the link @vee73! The showroom is not too far from my office. I will stop by next week and have a look at this one. It does not look like the original one, but still comes with a hefty price tag!

Archived