Review of Gotway Msuper 18 680wh

Switchface

I'm a Seattleite who commutes from Capitol Hill to Pioneer Square daily.  For the past 13 months, I had been using an Airwheel X8 but it's battery was getting so tired that I'd have to walk up the steepest blocks.  Having loved my electric unicycle, I decided to upgrade to the MSuper 18 and am absolutely loving it.  Having said this, below are my pros/cons relative to the X8:

Pros:

• Power: I just cruised 10 miles all over Seattle including the highest grade block on Yestler and it was incredibly fast compared to the X8, which turned into a snail on the hills 
  • Speed: 22mph is fast.  I really like how smooth and comfortable the transition into high speeds flows
  • Stability/Smoothness: the 18" wheel makes the bumps that scared me on the X8 seem like nothing.  I can basically cruise top speed over almost every sidewalk anomaly (of which there are many in the Capitol Hill/Central Hill area)
  • Longevity: I had to take my charger with me for the X8 because it didn't have enough life to make it to work and back.  After my 10m trip, I had 3/4 power left
  • App: with the Gotway app, I can get a speed readout along with heat/battery level with higher precision than with the 4 LEDs

Con:

• Weight/Size: it's a behemoth in comparison to the X8. Once I cruise to wherever I'm going, having to haul it around sucks.  I will say, however, that the telescopic handle I get will be arriving shortly to hopefully deal with this
  • Beeping: the beeps this thing emits are really annoying.  I cut the wire in the X8 that caused the beeping and might do the same for the msuper.  They serve no purpose for me other than to punish me for going fast or turning it on/off (for which it beeps once too)
  • slower deceleration: makes sense though if you're going much faster to begin with.  You just have to be more aware of what's coming up
  • Not as nimble: the size/weight means turning at slower speeds is harder so navigating through huge herds of people is more difficult
  • Cost: the X8 was $650 on Amazon and this was $1200.  I coulda got a replacement battery for the X8 at $300, but after more than a year of experience, I was ready to upgrade.

Neutral:

• the responsiveness of the msuper 18 is slower than the hairtrigger of the X8.  When you press forward/back, it eases into it rather than immediately go full power in either direction.  I like this because it evens the ride out a bit more, but it also feels a bit more sluggish and less zippy

Final thoughts: No regrets here.  If you're ready for a serious ride, this is it.  My research indicated that this was the ferrari/hummer/cadillac of wheelin technology and it certainly seems that way.  

msuper18.jpg

26 minutes ago, electric-boarding said:

Nice review, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this one as well. Did you order it from Alibaba\express? There are no listings on Amazon but it might be because they are pulling the EU listings.

I think there is a new gotway model coming out in March, but it seems to be a 16" version. 

Karl

It was on Amazon and sold by Sailorman-Group, but it looks like it got pulled. There is an 850Wh all black version available for $1900, but I know I don't have a use case for the extra battery. I looked at other sellers, but Amazon has yet to fail me so I didn't take an unnecessary  chance.  I'm sure other folks on here would be interested in finding a place to buy though if you do pull the trigger.

@Switchface nice review, the Gotways certainly have a good reputation for power and performance.

Regarding the beeping, I don't personally know the Gotway well enough to advise so I'm hoping this reply might trigger one of the experienced users to chip in?

However, I think I have understood that they do not tilt back to warn you if going too fast? If that is the case then the beeps are your last line of defence, pushing through them risks a nasty fall at speed as eventually you will run out of torque to hold you upright. 

Does the Gotway app not allow you to programme the beeps so they only occur at a chosen maximum speed?

Of course, if I'm wrong and the Gotway does tilt back to prevent you overspeeding then disabling the beeps wouldn't be too bad. You could also add a resister inline with the speaker to lower the volume. 

@Keith I might have an older version of the app (I got it from some link in this site, actually), but the main things it does are to show me the speed, temp, and power.  Well, it also has a button that activates the beeper so I could honk at people, haha.  What's kinda neat is that it vibrates at a growing intensity the faster you go, which replaces the need to actually look at your speed.  It'd be great if I could adjust the speed at which the beeps come.  I wouldn't mind just one beep right before the max.  As it is, I'm constantly getting up to about 14mph (22kph) when the first beep activates and people look at the wheel like it's about to explode if I don't slow down.

I bought the Gotway HS 680Wh from seller xiaoq-cn on eBay.  It was shipped quickly via DHL.  The one snag was that the seller needed to ship the batteries separately from the wheel.  Installation was not difficult.  I paid $1,180 and $190 shipping.  It came in *two days* at the end of January this year.  I'm very happy with the purchase.

Hi,

first off please be wary of not heeding the beeps. via the app, u can disable the level 1 and 2 alarms but definitely heed the level 3 alarm. Otherwise learning the hard way can be very dangerous. When you are traveling close to 18mph+ and the wheel suddenly stops accelerating, you'll be launched forward into unknown danger (God forbid moving vehicles). 

When enjoyed with caution, the MSuper is a wonderful ride.

For those looking for a unit, feel free to reach me via PM. I ship from NJ and stock the 850wh units. Happy to answer any questions you may have too!

@Michael Vu Do you know where I can find this app?  The one I have doesn't seem to have that capability.

So I found the apps on the kebye website: http://www.kebye.com/content/?182.html

The problem here is that the older app for the Msuper doesn't allow you to adjust the beeps like you can with the newer app that doesnt work with the Msuper. Oh well...

2 hours ago, Switchface said:

@Michael Vu Do you know where I can find this app?  The one I have doesn't seem to have that capability.

So I found the apps on the kebye website: http://www.kebye.com/content/?182.html

The problem here is that the older app for the Msuper doesn't allow you to adjust the beeps like you can with the newer app that doesnt work with the Msuper. Oh well...

This is where I got the app.

@SwitchfaceHave you tried to select the "3 dots" menu icon? You'll see the 3 dots if your android phone has virtual buttons for home, back, and menu like my Nexus 6. Otherwise if you have a Samsung, HTC, or other phone that uses capacitive buttons, then select the menu button. You should see extra settings pop up.

This is what I select on my phone.

image_7.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016/2/29 at 5:37 AM, Michael Vu said:

This is where I got the app.

13 minutes ago, Switchface said:

@Sonopanic I got mine through DHgate at http://www.dhgate.com/product/gotway-18-inch-msuper-electric-unicycle-scooter/250757187.html#s1-0-1b;searl|2280558484

I'd have love to have purchased in the US, but I couldn't find any other retailer... I guess that's the way it goes with electric unicycles at this point in the product lifecycle.

On 2016/2/29 at 3:32 AM, Switchface said:

This app from Kebye web is for the MCM4, Msuper use another app. Anyone who want it can send me message to get it. Thanks!

On 2/27/2016 at 9:43 AM, Switchface said:

It was on Amazon and sold by Sailorman-Group, but it looks like it got pulled. There is an 850Wh all black version available for $1900, but I know I don't have a use case for the extra battery. I looked at other sellers, but Amazon has yet to fail me so I didn't take an unnecessary  chance.  I'm sure other folks on here would be interested in finding a place to buy though if you do pull the trigger.

I bought mine from www.funwheel.com and since I'm in the USA, I felt more comfortable with a US seller and it arrived within' 4 days, I will be going back.

On 2016/2/28 at 1:08 AM, electric-boarding said:

Nice review, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this one as well. Did you order it from Alibaba\express? There are no listings on Amazon but it might be because they are pulling the EU listings.

I think there is a new gotway model coming out in March, but it seems to be a 16" version. 

Karl

Yes, the 16 inch wheel named GotWay ACM has came out. I am Linnea from GotWay company. 

IMG_20160317_175825.jpg

6 hours ago, Linneaunicycles said:

Yes, the 16 inch wheel named GotWay ACM has came out. I am Linnea from GotWay company. 

Wow! look a those battery packs! Now I know why they call this the "Hummer" electric unicycles. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived