the price of the rental of unicycles

Luca Morello

I dont think we will see many rental places until the wheels become so common that there are a lot of people who know how to ride them. Its not a bike that everyone can ride. Also liability is likely a problem. While one can have the renter sign a disclaimer, such disclaimer may not have full force, as eucs are such a novelty item whose safety hasnt been proven or accepted. Dont know how the court will rule if someone whos had an accident sued the rental place and all they had to show in their defence was the signed waiver . Also not sure how the renyal place will enforce any action in case someone decides to not return the wheel...

I have been making inquiries about renting a wheel in Vienna/Wien, but cant find anyone who does. Shame! I have an X8 but not sure which airlines or if any airlines would allow me to take it over. Dont suppose there's anyone out there that would let me rent one of theirs for a day or two? :-(

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2016 at 3:43 AM, Jurgen said:

I've thought about it,  would be fun making a living with your hobby. The only pitfall here is that you'll need to relocate to a 3rd world country to avoid getting sued for your last penny till the day you die...

But then their families come to your door with big guns...

Its customary ( at least in the US) to charge for rental about 8-10-15% of the full device cost, especially for the devices rarely used. For example, you go to the home depot to rent a circukar concrete saw with a diamond blade. The new , say, makita saw can cost about $800 and they will charge you $80 -100 ti rent for the day. If you want the blade too, then another $40. So i dont exp ct unicycle rental to be cheap. If they become very common in the future and the price goes down, then they will be rented out for a price of a regular bicycle rental

2 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Its customary ( at least in the US) to charge for rental about 8-10-15% of the full device cost, especially for the devices rarely used. For example, you go to the home depot to rent a circukar concrete saw with a diamond blade. The new , say, makita saw can cost about $800 and they will charge you $80 -100 ti rent for the day. If you want the blade too, then another $40. So i dont exp ct unicycle rental to be cheap. If they become very common in the future and the price goes down, then they will be rented out for a price of a regular bicycle rental

Well, you have to take into account that the price of the device won't be the only cost. You need staff (unless you are the sole owner/employee of the company ;)), insurances, rent some space (probably you need somewhere where people can pick up & return the vehicles to), maintenance etc. Then there's downtime, when a vehicle is being repaired/maintenance is done, and even when it's "available", it probably won't be rented for even half of the hours it potentially could be, so it'll be a good while before the vehicle "pays for itself" and actually starts turning any profit.

Last summer, just for fun, I actually did some "back of the envelope" -calculations for putting up a place where people could rent & ride the wheels in a track/obstacle course/whatever (at that time, the law still said you couldn't ride them on public streets), and the rent price per unit wouldn't have been really high (nor really low either), but I doubt it would have succeeded :P 

Also thought about putting up a physical shop here (even for selling the wheels), but it's pretty risky, as it's a small country with high taxes & import rates, and the end result would be that people come by to test the wheels and then order them abroad as you can't compete with the prices ;)

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 4:12 PM, Norwich Girl said:

I have been making inquiries about renting a wheel in Vienna/Wien, but cant find anyone who does. Shame! I have an X8 but not sure which airlines or if any airlines would allow me to take it over. Dont suppose there's anyone out there that would let me rent one of theirs for a day or two? :-(

The easiest answer is to go by car on the ferry that way you can take the wheel easily.

I took 3 wheels when we went through Holland, Germany and Luxembourge last summer.

• 2 months later...

Archived