Jump to content
9bots

Dead Ninebot One E+ due to battery issue.

Recommended Posts

esaj    5,297
1 hour ago, 9bots said:

Thanks @Vik's! Btw I have a question now, and this question is best answered by those who have different battery capacity. 

When you connect your phone to your app, it will show you the remaining kilometres / miles left, correct? Now what will it show when you switch between different battery capacity? 

For my case, my ninebot one is a E+. When it was on the 320Wh battery, the app will show 28km if the battery is full. But now, even with the allegedly smaller 240Wh battery, the app still shows 28km for a fully charged battery. 

But in real life performance, it is noticeably quicker to go empty. 

Don't have a Ninebot, but if memory serves, you need to set the model (watthours) yourself in the app, it doesn't autodetect the battery size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vik's    755
29 minutes ago, esaj said:

Don't have a Ninebot, but if memory serves, you need to set the model (watthours) yourself in the app, it doesn't autodetect the battery size.

What he said.

 

I can connect to my 9b1 later today and see. But it is how I remember, it basically a calculator function that doesnt sense battery capacity automatically.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SuperSport    2,140

The Mileage Calculator doesn't actually change the reading on the home screen.  It's simply a calculator that you can use to see what your outcome is Supposed to be.  I wish they would allow you to modify the Home Screen calculation.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9bots    9

Oh now I know. Thanks for answering! One more thing, I have sent an email to ninebot multiple times but no response whatsoever. Anyone here got any replies from them? I sent my enquiries to service@ninebot.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jer    92
4 minutes ago, 9bots said:

Thanks @Vik's! Btw I have a question now, and this question is best answered by those who have different battery capacity. 

When you connect your phone to your app, it will show you the remaining kilometres / miles left, correct? Now what will it show when you switch between different battery capacity? 

For my case, my ninebot one is a E+. When it was on the 320Wh battery, the app will show 28km if the battery is full. But now, even with the allegedly smaller 240Wh battery, the app still shows 28km for a fully charged battery. 

But in real life performance, it is noticeably quicker to go empty. 

it won't be able to take into account changes in battery size, it will only see a voltage, which will be the same at full charge regardless of battery capacity.

With the smaller battery the voltage will drop quicker so the range will come down more quickly than a larger battery.

It would need  some feature in the app where you could say what the battery size is to use for the range calculation.

Range measure  is wildly optimistic anyway.

 It would have to be told in the app  if it was to take this into account.  The range is quite exaggerated even with  a 320 wh battery

Jer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dima    5

Hello @9bots, thanks for your post. I think I have same problem as yours. I have been using my Ninebot One E+ for more than a year, but I do not use it daily like you. I only use it at the weekends. Recently after my last ride (around 4 weeks ago), I could not recharge it. The green light of adapter keeps flashing when charging. When I plug the unit into the power source, it works normally.

I have also done a check with the battery. I checked the voltage of each cell inside the battery and see the voltage is normal. So I think the problem can be BMS that @Craniumhas mentioned before.

Does anybody know if I can replace ONLY the board of the battery? As my warranty has expired, and the cost for a new battery is really high (around 500 USD), and my cells are still in normal condition after 1-year use. Or do you have any suggestion about BMS repair?

Thanks for reading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hobby16    267
19 minutes ago, Dima said:

Hello @9bots, thanks for your post. I think I have same problem as yours. I have been using my Ninebot One E+ for more than a year, but I do not use it daily like you. I only use it at the weekends. Recently after my last ride (around 4 weeks ago), I could not recharge it. The green light of adapter keeps flashing when charging. When I plug the unit into the power source, it works normally..

What do you mean by the sentence in bold ?

The problem comes more probably from the charger.

Connect the charger to a hair dryer (dumb load) then measure the current. If must be 2A, if not, your charger has a problem.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dima    5

Hello @hobby16, I mean when I plug the unit into the power source via charger adapter I can turn the unit on and it moves normally. But when I unplug it, I cannot turn the unit on.

When I turned the unit on during plugging, I used Ninebot application to connect my phone with the unit. You can see from 2 videos below that Battery Charge Level and Drive Voltage keep changing (in the first video) and the green light of adapter keeps flashing (changing from red to green) during charging (in the second video).

I also wrote email to Ninebot service team about my incident and got the feedback from them. They advised me that there's a problem with control board and battery, which have to be replaced. And in this case, they don't sell single BMS board for battery. 

The worst thing is I don't know where to buy a new battery in my country at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hobby16    267


@Dima

Ninebot's people won't give you any relevant answer I'm afraid. They'll just tell you to buy stuffs.
Your problem can have several causes, more info is needed to know which is the real cause :
- Charger problem. It can powers up the wheel but still be faulty. Can you check it by the test above, yes, no ?
- battery problem. Saying the "voltage is normal" means nothing unfortunately. The voltage of all the cells must be the same and in the range 3.3V to 4.2V per cell. What is the voltage of each cell and the total number? Without numbers, hard to tell.
- BMS problem. There is a simple solution by shorting the BMS' charge mosfet (see schematics in my thread on BMS
http://hobby16.neowp.fr/2015/07/21/bms-how-to-make-your-wheel-safer/ )  but the 2 causes above must be ruled out first.

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smallexis    256
On 28/11/2016 at 7:07 PM, Dima said:

Does anybody know if I can replace ONLY the board of the battery?

Hi,

maybe this link can be helpful because I have changed a defective BMS few months ago. And the "new" battery is working good since that.

and if you want use a 15S BMS, I have found one on aliexpress :

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/15S-self-balancing-scooters-lithium-ion-battery-PCB-board-60V-balancer-scooter-li-ion-battery/32722166425.html?spm=2114.13010208.99999999.307.sSWKEI&detailNewVersion=&categoryId=200003315

But don't expect any help from NINEBOT

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smallexis    256
53 minutes ago, hobby16 said:

BMS problem. There is a simple solution by shorting the BMS' charge mosfet

I have tried to do it few months ago with a defective battery but the MOSFET was not only the matter. The best solution is to change the BMS by yourself.

"tu vois, depuis la modif de la batterie de mon clone Q3, je ne m'arrête plus de bidouiller entre les cellules et les BMS, toujours avec des soudures à l'arrache."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hobby16    267

 

7 hours ago, smallexis said:

I have tried to do it few months ago with a defective battery but the MOSFET was not only the matter. The best solution is to change the BMS by yourself.

"tu vois, depuis la modif de la batterie de mon clone Q3, je ne m'arrête plus de bidouiller entre les cellules et les BMS, toujours avec des soudures à l'arrache."

smallexis is ze reference as to Ninebot stuffs :wub:

I made an error indeed, I wanted to say "to short the discharge mosfet" (transistor X1 in my link above). I know it has worked for at least one wheeler. The battery is not protected against overvoltage anymore but it works. The charger is voltage-limited anyway so the risk of overvoltage is zero if basic usage precautions are made.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chriull    1,603
3 hours ago, hobby16 said:

 

smallexis is ze reference as to Ninebot stuffs :wub:

I made an error indeed, I wanted to say "to short the discharge mosfet" (transistor X1 in my link above). I know it has worked for at least one wheeler. The battery is not protected against overvoltage anymore but it works. The charger is voltage-limited anyway so the risk of overvoltage is zero if basic usage precautions are made.

As @Craniumposted in

 and the following posts the ic's used in the BMS it could be, that the charge mosfet not only protects the cells from an overall overvoltage from the charger, but also cuts off in case of single cell overvoltage. (in case of dead/bad/unbalanced cells) Should also not really increase the risk to remove this protection, as long as the cells are balanced and "ok".

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SuperSport    2,140
37 minutes ago, Dima said:

@hobby16 thanks for the information provided.

1. It's not the charger problem, when I tested the output current was around 1.9A.

2. Following your instruction, I checked all the cells and found one cell is dead, the rest shows between 3.7 to 3.9V. I asked my friend to find and replace the dead cell, after that we still couldn't charge the battery. And we found out another issue with the board of the battery, there are 2 dead diodes. Then we managed to change them, fortunately we can recharge the battery and my unit starts working again.

@smallexisI will keep your information and guidance for the future in case we need to change a BMS, however hopefully it won't happen.

Thanks you guys a lot for helping me. I am happy to have my 9B1 back again :)

 

That's awesome you were able to do all that!  I'm impressed. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dima    5

@SuperSportI think I was lucky, of course, I did it with my friend's help, he has electrical background. He knows where to buy a replacement cell for me :)

I was so worried that I would not afford to buy a new battery (as it's too expensive) and couldn't find a trusted dealer in my country to buy a new battery. Now all worries has gone as I got my 9B1 back to normal, just rode it yesterday :)

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×