Dead Ninebot One E+ due to battery issue.

9bots

My ninebot one e+ suddenly turned off when I was riding on it and I can't turn it on anymore. I only managed to turn it on once when it's still connected to the charger, and it can move and function normally, albeit for just a few seconds. Since then, it's dead.

I have a speculation, I think it's the battery. And I hope I can claim it for warranty coz it's still less than 4 months old. Please watch the video for better explanation. 

And I have something to caution other ninebot one users here, but please it's too long to write, and I said it in the video below. 

Please watch the video below, thanks. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, OneWheel said:

Thanks for vid, crazy no one found this problem exist. You are the first. :o Oh my GOD!$

Thanks for replying. The real question is, does anyone else have this happening to their ninebot one's battery? Can they start to see some dents forming on it like I did? Coz I believe the internal of the cushion pad is designed the same as everyone else. I really believe it's the battery at fault here and hoping to get the replacement at no cost ASAP. 

Coz I use my ninebot everyday and when you stop doing it, it felt weird. Incomplete. Damn I missed my ninebot already. 

If you have access to a voltmeter you could measure the voltage and see if it is around 60 V.  The battery looks like the most likely cause to me.  Maybe one of the internal solder joints  broke rather than short circuiting which would have been immediately obvious.  It would also explain why it might come on intermittently,  if the connector was remaking itself every now and then.

Jer

From your video, the BMS is having an issue.  This is what your battery pack looks like when opened up:

IMG_20160121_233648.thumb.jpg.12aa200715

From the area you pointed out that is warm, it looks to be one of the 3 IC's in the picture on the left side of the Battery Management System (BMS).  These are used to balance cells and provide protective functions for the battery.  It should not be warm so long after you have removed it from the EU which could indicate a damaged cell or a malfunctioning IC.

The break in the shrink wrap would also be an issue.  This provides a very high level of water resistance to the batteries and BMS inside.  Since yours has been compromised, there could be an issue of water intrusion causing the issue as well if it was exposed to water at some point recent to when it started acting up.  The location of the breaks in the shrink wrap are in an area where cells connect to the BMS via tabs (at the points of the big blobs of solder in the left side of the picture).  If one of these tabs has been compromised, this could also be causing your issue.  

If you purchased the Ninebot from a reputable dealer, they should help you get warranty support for your battery since it should have a 180 day warranty on it.

If it is not warrantied, I would cut off the heat shrink to expose the components underneath to get a better idea on what is going on.  Replacement heat shrink tubing is cheap and easy to apply.  Here is a link to the size you would need and they even have the same blue color:  http://www.aliexpress.com/item/200mm-diameter-127mm-PVC-Heat-Shrink-Tubing-Battery-Wrap-Mould-Parts-ROHS-1-Meter/32557485097.html

@BA-B8It IS the battery. Got it replaced for free from the shop I bought it. Now it's working yay!  But there's something suspicious. Will upload video tonight. Stay tune. 

Ok now the video is up. Basically, I now have a doubt whether the battery I was given is indeed new or otherwise. Mainly because they removed the capacity info on the sticker on the battery. 

And yes it's my fault I didn't ask him directly. Watch the 3 minutes video below. Thanks.

Oh and thanks to @Craniumfor that very detailed information you shared about the battery. 

Lastly, how can I determine the real capacity of the battery now? Thanks. Btw @jer @MetricUSA,  no I don't have voltmeter. 

WTH?  I would be very suspicious on that replacement battery.  To determine the capacity, you would have to open up the pack to look at the cells.  

Before doing this, I would ask the shop about the cut off capacity from the sticker and ask how they are 100% sure it is the right capacity with it cut off.  Then tell them that you will be opening up the pack to ensure there hasn't been a mistake and that you would be willing to do it with them if they wanted. 

They gave you the wrong battery.

Focusing on the bar codes....

320Wh pack:  NEB-01-1502B-MG1

320Wh pack (yellow heat shrink): NEB-01-1502B-PF

240Wh pack: NEB-01-1502B-22PM <--This is what you have

At least you will have a spare, albeit lower capacity  battery when you pick them up on this.

This is not the real deal, why else would they snip the label.

Quite amusing what they did though.

The fact they thought they would get away with this.

Jer

On ‎14‎.‎02‎.‎2016 at 8:56 PM, 9bots said:

The real question is, does anyone else have this happening to their ninebot one's battery? Can they start to see some dents forming on it like I did? Coz I believe the internal of the cushion pad is designed the same as everyone else. ...

Last sunday I've used my 9bot for the first time (bought in january :). I did a lot of search on forums and did know about waterproofing and battery concerns before I even got it. So after the first ride I opened it up and did what I had to do - create an extra protecting layer on the battery side (uppper side and bottom). The reason I didn't do it before was to see if indentations will be there on battery shrink tubing after a first time short ride. And yes - I could clearly see where the problem is. Not as on your battery (seeing those pads on your ninebot took quite a beating, you have done som milage on them) but just an indication of possible problem in future.

I also glued some weatherstrips along the edge of battery and Controller pads as there is a 2-3mm gap all around... And I dont want any water in there.

That replacement battery is indeed is 240Wh so I would get that seller to send me a new one and keep the one you already got as a spare.

2 hours ago, Vik's said:

I also glued some weatherstrips along the edge of battery and Controller pads as there is a 2-3mm gap all around... And I dont want any water in there.

If you install weatherstrips, the water will not get inside, but neither air.

May be the gap will be necessary to cool the electronics (and battery).

I use the ninebot under rain and I never had a problem, but anyway, I must say that does not appears to be very waterproof actually...

2Rotator Yes, I was thinking about the possibility of air circulation but battery is not getting that hot and controller have own heatsink with an aluminium plate facing the wheel... So that shoud be enough... In Norway anyway ;)  And when choosing between two evils - my choice is to not shortcutting the battery/mobo by rainwater.

I could hear a bit of rattling when I go over bumps so I opened the battery compartment and my battery looks like yours with wear spots on it. I will stick it in place so that doesn't happen. I don't know why ninebot puts the adhesive strips on the battery but doesn't use them. Anyway, I plan to peel the backing off the strips and stick it in place. 

On 2/16/2016 at 9:36 PM, 9bots said:

Got it replaced for free from the shop I bought it

What is the name of the shop you bought from?  I think everyone here should be weary of them.  They obviously attempted to cheat you, and they knew exactly what they were doing.  Future buyers should know this before purchasing from them.

59 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

What is the name of the shop you bought from?  I think everyone here should be weary of them.  They obviously attempted to cheat you, and they knew exactly what they were doing.  Future buyers should know this before purchasing from them.

Most likely they did know what they were doing, but I think it's best to go in and act dumb but say you think it's a smaller battery. The pack will be physically smaller so that is a tip-off right there. If you come out and call them cheaters they may not like that. It could get ugly and you won't end up getting your battery any faster. Plus, if you show that you know something about it they are much less likely to try and cheat you again. This is like when someone who doesn't know cars takes one in to be fixed and the mechanic tries to convince you that you need a new engine when all you need is an oil change.

14 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

Most likely they did know what they were doing...

They cut the label where it shows the Wh rating...  That's premeditated.  I agree, get your's fixed first, but they have now shown they are willing to cheat if they can get away with it.

Similar to the other company that was selling NineBot One E with a fake E+ sticker on it.  Curious if it's the same company.

17 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

The pack will be physically smaller so that is a tip-off right there.

I thought all the Ninebot One -batteries were 15S2P in a single wrap? Just different cell capacities?

34 minutes ago, musk said:

First thing that came to mind was that they cut the WH rating off to avoid airline/customs/FedEx problems somewhere in the supply chain.

I'd like to think that's what they did.  Seems coincidental though.

Wouldn't an easy way to figure out if it is a smaller pack is if you plug it in and connect the app then look at the mileage info?  Anyway if I was the original poster I'd deal directly with Ninebot in China and report this shop.  

9Bots - Are you from Singapore by any chance?  If so and you can read and write Chinese you should report this to corporate.  They'll probably be quicker responding to you if you can communicate to them in Chinese.  They might lay the smack down on your distributor and force them to give you the legit capacity battery.

On 2/16/2016 at 3:06 AM, Cranium said:

They gave you the wrong battery.

Focusing on the bar codes....

320Wh pack:  NEB-01-1502B-MG1

320Wh pack (yellow heat shrink): NEB-01-1502B-PF

240Wh pack: NEB-01-1502B-22PM <--This is what you have

Oh thanks for pointing that out. I wish there are some photos that i can take a look at to see it myself. I mean, i tried googling that serial number you've written there but no results. Where did you get it?

@jer @Vik's well however i don't think that's possible coz the shop is just 15 minutes away from my house. So what I did was I went to their shop and the person handed over the replacement battery to me personally. 

Btw, things just got a little bit upsetting right now. But let me give you some back story so you could understand my situation. Bear with me. It will be a long read.

I bought the ninebot one e+ (which they call it here as ninebot one international edition+) from the sole distributor back in end of October last year. The person i met is A. When I bought it from him, I said, "if there's any vacancy, please maybe you could hire me?", and he said "oh yeah sure".

A month later, I got a call from him asking if I would wanna join them for a project for a month or maybe more and I said, "oh that's great, since I now know how to ride it too". Then I met B, who is a partner to the owner of the company, C. So C is the company owner, B is his (best?) friend, and A the worker that I met way earlier. Slightly over a week into the project, my ninebot one suffered motherboard issue, which needs a replacement. During the duration of the project (which happen 100% somewhere else, not at the shop), I liaise mostly with A, so I let him know, and he said he will get the replacement for me. This is when I joined this forum and my first post ever was about this issue. 3 weeks later, when the project has ended, I decided not to continue to work with the company anymore coz I still didn't get the motherboard due to many excuses given by A and I thought, wow, even as an employee, seems like it doesn't do anything to help fix my 9b1 any sooner. I don't wanna be too pushy (coz I never expected it would be this long) and I managed to be patient for so long coz during the duration of the project, I always use the company's 9b1. When I read someone else's 9b1 in this forum with the same issue got fixed within a week (with the board being shipped from other country), that just fuels my frustration.

However back at the shop (when I was no longer an employee) B took the initiative and assisted me by taking out a motherboard from a new sealed 9b1 unit and he said, "its ok you can have this board and I'll just wait for the replacement board to arrive and I'll put it back into this unit". During the whole replacement process, which I did myself, I managed to exchange some conversations with him and I think he's like me, who just don't want any trouble and plain honest. Among A, B and C, I felt most comfortable with B obviously.

Then this battery issue happened last week and I'm so haunted by the slow process that I had to go through for previous warranty claim. I texted B and he's not free that day and asked me to liaise with C. I met C at the shop the next day and without wasting time, C grabbed a battery from the shelves and cut the stickers before handing it to me. I put it in my 9b1 without a question (coz I thought it's only for testing, not a real replacement for me) and it's up and running and I'm so relieved to know it's not a motherboard issue. Then C said to me "ok you just take that battery free of charge as a goodwill gesture from me coz you used to be our employee even though you are out of warranty" which I replied with "oh yeah thank you very much for that but actually I still have the warranty coz I bought it at then end of October last year and I still have the proof of purchase" and he was like "oh really? ok." And it ends there with me purchasing the trolley handle afterwards.

As I drive home I've been thinking and thinking and that's when I decided to update the post in this thread. Once @Cranium mentioned that it is indeed a 240Wh, I texted B for help, which is a hard decision for me to make. Coz if you happen to hear someone talked bad about your (best?) friend, you will be in disbelief, right? And almost certainly you will ask about it once you meet your friend right? And what will your friend think of the person who accused him right? Sigh.

Now just read the conversation I had with B, and tell me how to go from here.

1.thumb.jpg.2ce9240b6b364dac2ee5a9d52257

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

* Selasa = Tuesday, dy = already

Archived