New Ninebot One E+ system failure - injury

adhermes

On 1/25/2016 at 7:21 PM, BA-B8 said:

Yikes.. that was bad.  I recently got thrown off my generic, even though it wasn't very fast, when you don't expect it you can't just run it off sometimes.  Luckily I just got off with some scratches and bruises.  Nothing broken.  From your vid it looks like he was accelerating away from you coming out of the turn.. Maybe he was pushing it too hard?

No excuse for it to TURN on him like that. That was WICKED!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2016 at 2:18 PM, Planetpapi said:

Wondering what happened to the legal case. Is your friend fully recovered? 

Yeah he's fully recovered now with a nasty scar. The legal case is currently under way. I'm not sure anything will come of it, but we shall see. 

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 2:18 PM, Jason McNeil said:

reminds me of a similar accident that occurred to me last month on the GW 680Wh MCM4, bloody thing just cut-out under me while cruising along at leisurely 25kph.

Shouldn't this problem be solved by now?? EUC manufacturers don't have engineers smart enough to figure this out, or they don't care??

I'm not talking about bad riding. I'm talking about the EUC cutting out for NO GOOD REASON.

It would interesting to do a forensic check of the Ninebot that shutdown to see what exactly failed.  There was mention of them replacing the tire with a different one so there can be the possibility of a loose connector working loose when end users are dismantling and reassembling a product.  It's difficult to say without looking into what failed.

I don't know what could have caused Jason's accident.  Did you ever find out the cause @Jason McNeil?

It was a first generation MCM4, which by all accounts I have seen, was simply cr*p. There's similar reports of other riders who owned this Wheel—in the 2nd gen HS version, they made some improvements. This first MCM4 was frequently touted as 34kph Wheel, but anything over 26kph would result in a face-plant.

Lessons learned for me were: 1) don't test out a new Wheel the morning after an office Christmas party, 2) don't make the elementary mistake of forgetting the wrist/knee guards, 3) don't assume a setting like 'Pedal Tilt-back Speed setting' is benign, it isn't, 4) don't simply step on an untested Wheel & trust it, expect it to fail, only building up the confidence that it is not going to kill you over a couple days.

• 1 year later...
On 1/25/2016 at 5:52 PM, adhermes said:

This is just a cautionary tale for anyone thinking that safety gear isn't important. My friend just got a new Ninebot One E+ that has a complete system failure with zero warning in 70 degree weather, no obstacles, and no warning. 

https://youtu.be/hSWyCxrE2Uw

Sucks that the industry has no failsafes. He went to the hospital and will be in a sling for 8 weeks. 

The only guy with no safety gear is the one that got hurt.  In the video it looks like there is a bump in the road that threw him off the wheel.  It's hard to tell, but there is a line going across the road that makes him throw up his arms and bounce off, and the wheel goes up in the air.  Too bad we didn't see the footage from his go pro that was on the Ninebot.  Also, people were asking, what is that black thing, did he run over it?  No, the author replied, it was his Go Pro.  Well, how did it fall off?  Maybe the wheel did cut off and slam to the ground.  Hard to tell from the video.  Slowing down the speed of the video it is hard to say what happened.  

On 1/25/2016 at 5:52 PM, adhermes said:

This is just a cautionary tale for anyone thinking that safety gear isn't important. My friend just got a new Ninebot One E+ that has a complete system failure with zero warning in 70 degree weather, no obstacles, and no warning. 

Sucks that the industry has no failsafes. He went to the hospital and will be in a sling for 8 weeks. 

Does your user name mean fast ad?

On 5/12/2016 at 7:06 PM, geoflaw said:

No excuse for it to TURN on him like that. That was WICKED!!

Wicked an weird!  https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi_iPfRsOnUAhUJWCYKHdlMC_EQ3ywIKjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D9wyyVh3uc5Y&usg=AFQjCNEV36D37ZN18TdEZHP00aWvs1Tieg @Hunka Hunka Burning Love you probably have seen seen this video, fellow Canadian.

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

The only guy with no safety gear is the one that got hurt.  In the video it looks like there is a bump in the road that threw him off the wheel.  It's hard to tell, but there is a line going across the road that makes him throw up his arms and bounce off, and the wheel goes up in the air.  Too bad we didn't see the footage from his go pro that was on the Ninebot.  Also, people were asking, what is that black thing, did he run over it?  No, the author replied, it was his Go Pro.  Well, how did it fall off?  Maybe the wheel did cut off and slam to the ground.  Hard to tell from the video.  Slowing down the speed of the video it is hard to say what happened.  

If we had a better view, like from the side, then we'd be able to tell if it was a cutout or an overlean.

This is what an overlean looks like, whereby the wheel is unable to provide enough power yet it still stays on. Notice it pops back up once the rider bails. This is what happened to me or something similar, at 16-19 mph, and while unpleasant you can still kick off it (I ninja rolled it and almost caught the wheel as it was still upright).

This is what a cutout looks like.

Argument for a cutout:

--The wheel doesn't pop back up and instead tumbles.

--No apparent rider input.

--Both feet come off the wheel at the same time, which means his toes are already dragging on the ground along with the footpads (see videos).

--No beeping wheel. Don't One's moan at you if they're dropped?

Argument for an overlean/rider error:

--New rider.

--Straight legs, upright position, arms to his side, and he still almost got away with a ninja roll or a run off.

--Line across the road which may have spooked him into dragging his wheel (but his body was still leaning forward).

--High speed. That doesn't look like 10mph at all. It looks decidedly faster. Note the last words before the crash was the camera man saying, "I'm so slow on this wheel compared to you guys."

Verdict: No idea.

On 7/1/2017 at 9:16 PM, LanghamP said:

If we had a better view, like from the side, then we'd be able to tell if it was a cutout or an overlean.

This is what an overlean looks like, whereby the wheel is unable to provide enough power yet it still stays on. Notice it pops back up once the rider bails. This is what happened to me or something similar, at 16-19 mph, and while unpleasant you can still kick off it (I ninja rolled it and almost caught the wheel as it was still upright).

This is what a cutout looks like.

Argument for a cutout:

--The wheel doesn't pop back up and instead tumbles.

--No apparent rider input.

--Both feet come off the wheel at the same time, which means his toes are already dragging on the ground along with the footpads (see videos).

--No beeping wheel. Don't One's moan at you if they're dropped?

Argument for an overlean/rider error:

--New rider.

--Straight legs, upright position, arms to his side, and he still almost got away with a ninja roll or a run off.

--Line across the road which may have spooked him into dragging his wheel (but his body was still leaning forward).

--High speed. That doesn't look like 10mph at all. It looks decidedly faster. Note the last words before the crash was the camera man saying, "I'm so slow on this wheel compared to you guys."

Verdict: No idea.

From what i see, he saw the big crack on the road. You can see his arms start to go on an alert stance and it looks the wheel got snagged on the crack and he panicked when he fell the sudden bump lifting the left foot and wheel tilts right

39 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

From what i see, he saw the big crack on the road. You can see his arms start to go on an alert stance and it looks the wheel got snagged on the crack and he panicked when he fell the sudden bump lifting the left foot and wheel tilts right

Yeah, I agree with you on that based on fuzzy video. The instinct of a new rider based on how I first started riding is to ease up on the pedals in order to brake. My present instinct is to throw the wheel out in front of me, but, boy, that sure didn't feel natural at first.

1 hour ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

The last video of the two riders in San Antonio could be rider error. If you slow the playback speed down to .25 you can see he is overleaning and that his feet are very far forward on the pedals (heel is nearly flush with trailing edge, and shoes extend about 3-4" over front edge). 

• 3 months later...
On 1/25/2016 at 6:52 PM, adhermes said:

Thank you for posting this video!

This EXACT same incident happened to me in June. The power went out within a split second.

People might think that it is a one-off type of situation, but I am thinking more accidents are going to happen as more units are sold in North America plus aging units. sooner or later someone is going to get killed by this little evil machine.

Tell your family and friends to stop buying these type of products before they get hurt.

Could you tell us some details about your Ninebot?  How old was it?  It only had 780 kms on it?  Did you charge it up fully each time and sometimes let it charge a few hours longer after the green charger light went on?  How much do you weigh, and how fast were you trying to accelerate?  Were you wearing any safety gear at the time?  Did you do the battery mod when you first got the wheel to avoid vibrational cutting into the battery pack/wiring?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I have just picked up on this and having seen the video.

The guy clearly remains fully upright, is doing way more than 10MPH and throws the pedals forward at a seriously steep angle using his ankles.

Whist I have deep sympathies for any user going through the front door at speed (I have exited at full tilt on a ninebot one E+ due to a combination of not paying attention and hitting a 2" deep pothole at full speed). I can't help but think that this was user error with a smidge of not really knowing how to ride within the operating parameters of the machine. You can't jump on any wheel and do ANYTHING and hope the machine nannies you through it. I was always taught to treat any machine with the respect it deserves, from a power drill to a 1000cc motorcycle - they all bite, bite hard and bite without prejudice or remorse.

No one ever got back with a report about the ninebot and whether it was working after the event. My only experience with a ninebot failure was a friend whose died on pulling away. It stopped working and then behaved oddly and erratically. The main thing was that the behaviour was repeatable. Turned out to be a board problem. Not every fault is easy to reproduce but something would have caused it. As no one has followed up with clear evidence that the bot was flawed or how the legal case panned out.

My only advice to people 'scared' by this is to watch and learn. Don't be frightened. Have fun. Ride within your and the machines capabilities. Wear safety kit and don't play keep-up with people way more experienced or more stupid than you.

Archived