New Ninebot One E+ system failure - injury

adhermes

This is just a cautionary tale for anyone thinking that safety gear isn't important. My friend just got a new Ninebot One E+ that has a complete system failure with zero warning in 70 degree weather, no obstacles, and no warning. 

https://youtu.be/hSWyCxrE2Uw

Sucks that the industry has no failsafes. He went to the hospital and will be in a sling for 8 weeks. 

Ouch, I wish him a speedy recovery ...

From the video, it looks like it's a complete shut off, I didnt hear any beep whatsoever. How long he got the bot for, is there any previous failure symptom in any way before the accident, and I still cant figure out what that black thing is, is it part of the stand?

Yikes.. that was bad.  I recently got thrown off my generic, even though it wasn't very fast, when you don't expect it you can't just run it off sometimes.  Luckily I just got off with some scratches and bruises.  Nothing broken.  From your vid it looks like he was accelerating away from you coming out of the turn.. Maybe he was pushing it too hard?

wish him that he gets well soon !!! ... what firmware was the ninebot ? and i thought too, like BA-B8, that he accelerated quite a bit out of the roundabout ... but hard to see from that angle ...

6 hours ago, adhermes said:

This is just a cautionary tale for anyone thinking that safety gear isn't important. My friend just got a new Ninebot One E+ that has a complete system failure with zero warning in 70 degree weather, no obstacles, and no warning

That is horrible what happened to your friend. Everyone at FORWARD California wishes him a quick recovery. 

17 hours ago, Blunzn said:

wish him that he gets well soon !!! ... what firmware was the ninebot ? and i thought too, like BA-B8, that he accelerated quite a bit out of the roundabout ... but hard to see from that angle ...

It was firmware 1.3.5

Ouch, reminds me of a similar accident that occurred to me last month on the GW 680Wh MCM4, bloody thing just cut-out under me while cruising along at leisurely 25kph. Besides the physical injuries, the impact also destroyed my brand new Sony FDR-X1000V webcam & stabilizer :(

@adhermes, did your friend learn on the KS 800W or another type of Wheel? One of the problems from going from a more powerful Wheel to one less so, is that one's reference point for how hard you can push the Wheel has to be completely reassessed, which is not an easy thing to do.

6 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Ouch, reminds me of a similar accident that occurred to me last month on the GW 680Wh MCM4, bloody thing just cut-out under me while cruising along at leisurely 25kph. Besides the physical injuries, the impact also destroyed my brand new Sony FDR-X1000V webcam & stabilizer :(

@adhermes, did your friend learn on the KS 800W or another type of Wheel? One of the problems from going from a more powerful Wheel to one less so, is that one's reference point for how hard you can push the Wheel has to be completely reassessed, which is not an easy thing to do.

Jason, he didn't really learn. He got on first try and that was it (pissed me off to be honest, since it took me over 2 weeks!). He rode my Lhotz and then bought the Ninebot the same day. I get your point, but this wasn't the case for this particular incident. 

I'm happy it didn't discourage me at all though! Can't live life in fear, that's for sure. But it's always good to respect the equipment you're riding on and stay alert!

That's why evolution favours those of us with timid genes :). IMO cut-outs are completely unacceptable when there are simple & relatively cheap solutions like  providing the Wheels with batteries that can support sustained acceleration, or programming more conservative tilt-back settings which are engaged if the Wheel detects a rapid increase in acceleration. 

Best wishes to Jason for a speedy recovery. 

Interested to know the status of his 9B1E+ !     Has anyone tried to ride it since?       I'm holding to Version 1.3.0 as it has worked without problems so far!

@adhermes absolutely agree with your comment  to ride well within the machine and your capabilities and stay focused. I'm nursing a shoulder with 'soft tissue' damage since Xmas and I didn't even fall on it!  Fall due to my inattention entirely.

BTW, I notice Jason is not wearing wrist guards - I think they are / have been the most protective safety gear of all for me - I had a similar fall to Jason but fortunately skidded for a couple of metres on my wrist guards which wore down past the rivets - if my hand was taking that kind of battering, I'd hate to think of the result!

Was there something mounted on unit? During fall, which starts at :07, you see something black, roll to the left, or he hit and ran over it and the wheel just stops right there where the crack across the road is... It doesn't take much for the wheel to react badly if some obstacle comes up... Had too many of those for my liking...

26 minutes ago, MetricUSA said:

Was there something mounted on unit? During fall, which starts at :07, you see something black, roll to the left, or he hit and ran over it and the wheel just stops right there where the crack across the road is... It doesn't take much for the wheel to react badly if some obstacle comes up... Had too many of those for my liking...

seems to be a GoPro or similar. you see it in the beginning too, at 0:03 in front of his right foot.

Yea, OK but I think he still ran over it, like it fell off, the eu is in the air, how did it jump up? This happen to me just two nights ago, took my eyes off road for two seconds, looked at a sign, ran over a 'big' fallen branch, eu up in the air in front of me, taking my feet, landed straight on my ass! My strap saved eu from going and further... Every time I go over this certain section of road something bad always happens, I normally avoid it like a plague...

1 hour ago, MetricUSA said:

Yea, OK but I think he still ran over it, like it fell off, the eu is in the air, how did it jump up? This happen to me just two nights ago, took my eyes off road for two seconds, looked at a sign, ran over a 'big' fallen branch, eu up in the air in front of me, taking my feet, landed straight on my ass! My strap saved eu from going and further... Every time I go over this certain section of road something bad always happens, I normally avoid it like a plague...

The lawyer had us take a video of the "crack" in the road in closeup. There is no gap, no lip, no change in height at all. It's perfectly smooth.

The Go-Pro fell off the EUC but the wheel didn't run it over. It simply "bounced" when it fell off hehe

• 1 month later...
On 25 January 2016 at 11:52 PM, adhermes said:

This is just a cautionary tale for anyone thinking that safety gear isn't important. My friend just got a new Ninebot One E+ that has a complete system failure with zero warning in 70 degree weather, no obstacles, and no warning. 

Sucks that the industry has no failsafes. He went to the hospital and will be in a sling for 8 weeks. 

Sorry to hear about your friend hope he recover by now, late October 2015 I bought a brand new ninebot one E+, after 25 days of using and while leaving work I try to turn on the unite after fully charge fail to start up, and I keep getting electric sparks from the charging input, I didn't try to fix it, I contact the seller asking for a full refund, he offer me new control board and new battery but I insist of having my $740.00 because I felt something not right and I didn't trust the shit.

last week PayPal issue a full refund to me.

I been using Airwheel x8 for 1 & half year without any problem but ninebot one E+ didn't last more than 25 days to know its shit.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I'm Wheeler from France... and looking forward more informations about this kind of accidents...

I had exactly the same accident with my ninebot one... I'm wondering more and more if my Wheel had failed.

I had my shoulder seriously broken.... one metal plate and 7 screws....

What happened to you?

Ninebot did change the control card...

Did you contact ninebot?

EDIT:  Ahh I rewatched the video, and the axle has two flat sides that slot into the pedal so yeah there should be no way it could slip so ignore my comments below!  I wonder if the wiring harness from the motor to the board was not secured well enough or vibration may have broken a weak connection in a wire somewhere...

What OEM tire comes on the Ninebot One from the factory?  To the OP:  did you guys have the stock tire replaced with a Maxxis tire as I remember reading that you said it had a brand new, expensive Maxxis tire on it?  If you did replace the tire, did you remember to reinstall all those little rectangular locking pieces plates around the hub nut?  I wonder if there may have been slippage of the motor and pedal connection.  That might explain the high pitch sound from the motor as it tries to balance, but if the pedal is slipping then there would be an accident.  Now, I'm no expert on the Ninebot One, but I did see a disassembly video made by Speedy Feet.  Maybe someone with more experience with this EUC can comment.  If the motor isn't securely fastened to the pedals, can it come loose and then not be able to provide torque to the pedals (and basically shell)?

WJ1IYq4.jpg

@volavoile Sorry to hear about your accident. Can you share a little more about it? Did your ninebot just shut off at high speed? What was the situation, how much battery did you have, were you going up or downhill, accelerating or breaking, etc?  Thanks. 

On 1/24/2016 at 5:52 PM, adhermes said:

Wondering what happened to the legal case. Is your friend fully recovered? 

Archived