Sticky Stuff Removal

MonsieurBadgerCheese

Removed all the protective foam (bumper tape) from my recently purchased 1E+ and was left with all the sticky residue from the double-sided tape. Hard to remove!

After much trial and error (and Google) I found Olbas Oil. Works a treat. Wipes the glue straight off, and leaves the whole thing shining like new - well apart from all the gouges and scrapes!

MBC.

I was struggling with that too until my wife came along. When she saw what I was doing she came up with a bottle of cheap perfume she had stored away. It worked like magic with the bonus that now my 9B1 smells like roses !!

When I owned a sign business, we used Awesome Orange Cleaner from the Dollar Store.  Cheap, works fantastic, doesn't hurt the surface, and also leaves it smelling fresh.  We were constantly removing lettering from vehicles and buildings.  Similar Glues.

For a second I read Agent Orange and went "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTT!!?"

I found that the glue sticks together very good, so I just reapplied the used foam and pulled it off several times until the last glue stuck to the foam instead of the Bots Pads or Shell

Don't use nail remover, as it also removes the shiny layer and leaves matte.

All you need is a hair dryer, a microfibre clout and a bit of patience.

Of course the best way you can do is skip the original tape and use a normal double-side tape. It's easy to remove.

"Limonene" is what you want, It's what' commonly referred to as orange oil and is the active ingredient in goo-gone.

Do not use acetone if the shell is made of ABS, as acetone will dissolve it.

16 hours ago, Bat said:

Don't use nail remover, as it also removes the shiny layer and leaves matte.

All you need is a hair dryer, a microfibre clout and a bit of patience.

Of course the best way you can do is skip the original tape and use a normal double-side tape. It's easy to remove.

I've got no need to remove the paddings from the Firewheel, but that is good advice: do not use the 3M tape if you plan on removing the padding later on. That tape doesn't use "normal" glue but some sort of sticky resin and it REALLY sticks. Once I had to open up the generic wheel shells, and the padding was running along the seam. I had to tear it off, and it only came off in small bits. Use cheap basic 2-sided tape with "normal" glue if you plan on removing the paddings at some point.

• 2 months later...
On 4/5/2016 at 2:20 PM, dmethvin said:

The adhesives don't tend to be soluble in alcohol from my experience. I use Goo Gone which is probably similar to the Awesome Orange mentioned above.

Thanks! I did end up trying a bit of isopropanol without any success and then found some orange type cleaner (with limonene as a leading ingredient) and that worked beautifully. My 12 year old son saw the wheel when I was done, and burst out, "Sleek, Mom!"

• 11 months later...

Hello,

Because I need to send back my Ks14C for bent. cracked service, I needed to remove all the bangood padding so it will fit  perfect in the original shipping padding and box.

I did recall that here somewhere was advise on what product to use, found the thread here.

For me today white spirit did the trick with loads of time and effort.

If I could have sourced either of the above mentioned products would have been interesting to compare.

ukj

20 minutes ago, UKJ said:

Hello,

Because I need to send back my Ks14C for bent. cracked service, I needed to remove all the bangood padding so it will fit  perfect in the original shipping padding and box.

I did recall that here somewhere was advise on what product to use, found the thread here.

For me today white spirit did the trick with loads of time and effort.

If I could have sourced either of the above mentioned products would have been interesting to compare.

ukj

http://www.motip.com/products/motip/automotive/professional-technical-solutions/citrus-cleaner/ is what I have for the tasks like this. Never used foam on my EUC though...

Only because someone posted here I ordered this, was super cheap, fast shipping and works just fine.

If I see an area that has been dinged then easy to add patch.

ukj

euca.JPG

side.JPG

padingoff.JPG

On 1/18/2016 at 8:19 AM, SuperSport said:

When I owned a sign business, we used Awesome Orange Cleaner from the Dollar Store.  Cheap, works fantastic, doesn't hurt the surface, and also leaves it smelling fresh.  We were constantly removing lettering from vehicles and buildings.  Similar Glues.

Is that LA's Totally Awesome Degreaser in the orange spray bottle?  That stuff works great for cleaning car tires also.  Spray on, let it sit for a minute or two and power wash it off.  I sometimes have to remove decals from traded in trucks, but never tried the degreaser to remove the glue residue, just wondering if it is the same product.  The refill jug is white, 32oz with the orange label.

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

Is that LA's Totally Awesome Degreaser in the orange spray bottle?  That stuff works great for cleaning car tires also.  Spray on, let it sit for a minute or two and power wash it off.  I sometimes have to remove decals from traded in trucks, but never tried the degreaser to remove the glue residue, just wondering if it is the same product.  The refill jug is white, 32oz with the orange label.

That's it. 

Yeah, I converted a bunch of Harley riders over. They were buying the expensive tire and wheel cleaner. I always had perfectly white whitewalls and chrome wheels and it pissed them off I was using a $1 bottle to get better results then they were. They all moved over to Awesome. 

Archived