Priorities for protective gear?

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

With the advances in quality of life and health conditions in China, the population has been experiencing aging, and osteoporosis has therefore become an important public health problem. The incidence of hip fracture has increased by 200% in Hong Kong over the past 20 years: about 10 elders fracture their hip every day. The mortality rate for hip fracture patients is 20% while 70% remain permanently disabled. 

If you are concerned have your bone density checked to see if you may be a candidate for calcium supplements. 

I suspect a lot of these problems in Asia come from low calcium ... many Asians are lactose-intolerant, and don't consume enough calcium.  Particularly the older generation in South China tends to suffer hair loss, hunches and other problems connected with low mineral intake.   The traditional cuisine just doesn't include enough sources.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Given state if the art advances in DNA sequencing (as predictive neonatal tools) where I assume you already know the meaning of NGS techniques, you might find this website to be of interest

Bob, unfortunately complex genomic research is beyond my purview. The website was very informative. Thanks! 

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

complex genomic research is beyond my purview.

It's beyond mine as well. The website was quoted in the LinkedIn profile of a guy I did some work for before NGS (next generation sequencing) was developed. He was credentialing himself to run a lab which uses that kind of data. A lot of people are not keen on the idea of genetically driven principles. Many Jewish couples hold that kind of data near and dear to their hearts in terms of fetal health.

I did some work on a vision gene related to x linked night blindness. It was a newly published gene, the work took over a year and the results were presented at an Opthalmology conference. I thought I was a winner in the study. The 'boss' didn't like an unexplained percentage of cases in light of my new data. Within a year the European finders if the gene released an updated paper describing an 'alternatively spliced' gene product with a mutation hot spot in a new 'exon' accounting for the unexplained percentage of cases. My other boss took credit for the study and I went on to work on something with the guy who I got the genepeeks website from. After the grant with him (and others) was not refunded I was on the street and he and several other trainees were on to the next level in their careers.

• 2 months later...

i saw a video where the rider (euguy i think?) was maxing out his wheel, intentionally, and flew off. fortunately he was wearing a helmet that covered his whole face (along with a bunch of other gear) because it seems if that tier of protection hadn't been there he might've really screwed up his jaw/teeth. that's why i picked up a motorcycle helmet (shoei rf1000) i saw at a yard sale last week >.>

A bicycle helmet and a pair of $4 padded gloves for me.  I actually ripped a pair of gloves while learning the EUC so I can see their value!  

Helmets have saved me at least 10 times in my life from accidental spills from all sorts of action sports.

I reckon full face helmets would be great but they tend to be a little heavy, but I'm sure they would be great for some of those guys who go off-road a lot with their EUC.  

1- Wrist guards, knee guards. I wear all the time. It gives you a different option for falling. With knee guard you can crouch on a fall, slide on your knees and land and roll. You will get back up with no injury.

2- bmx helmet that has chin guard. will get one soon.

I took a spill max speed on MCM4 HS. No log but I am sure it was 20+ MPH. Shut-down went superman mode. The wrist guard save my hands. Both wrist guard show severe abrasions cant imagine the destruction without them. Severe shin abrasion, minor nose nick and major bicycle helmet abrasion on the forehead area of the healmet. I felt my head impact the ground. The helmet prevented my nose and face from abrasion but not my chin. Also soften my head impact preventing a concussion or possibly suffered a minor one since I was able to get up and ride back home with no issues but I felt jolted. My right forearm suffered severe abrasion. my chest and belly was saved by a thick winter vest but it got completely ripped apart on the crest area saving my skin.

3- ride like you are ready to take a spill so you react instinctively to the fall and dont get cought gazing for views. Learn to fall and roll.

4- Bmx helmet with chin guard. I need to get one.

5- I bought a full armor under vest that has forearm, elbow, shoulder, chest and fullback plates but have not wore yet since am doing parking to office 3/4 miles hop at below 12 MPH or slower. but always hand and keen gear.

wrist guards.jpg

riding pants.jpg

elbow knee guards.jpg

bike healmet.jpg

full armour.jpg

oouuch ouch ouch... more than ouch. yeah... helmet, wrist guards with skid plates and some tough knee pads seem like a good idea - although i don't know what they would've done to prevent... a broken arm?! yikes

9 minutes ago, kour said:

oouuch ouch ouch... more than ouch. yeah... helmet, wrist guards with skid plates and some tough knee pads seem like a good idea - although i don't know what they would've done to prevent... a broken arm?! yikes

the vest has forearm plate also. if you hit any of the pads it will need a bigger impart before a break.

full armour.jpg

I rarely ride with any protective gear. Occasionally I wear a crushing foam skateboard helmet (the kind that takes a big hit then you throw away), and when I go looking for trouble I'll wear a helmet and wrist protectors. Occasionally also knee guards.

I would agree that a helmet would be most important. My observation in other sports is that once an athlete's head goes below his waist he rarely recovers his footing, and once he goes down that's it. Something is going to hit the ground be it his hands, shoulders, knees, or head.

19 hours ago, dpong said:

I wear a baseball helmet and ride very carefully.  I prefer not to fall down.

IMG_5083.jpg

Ride carefully at 20 mph 32kph. stone, dog, cat, RC mini racer, turtle on your way. battery failure because they never fail. MOS failure because they never fail. And oh yeah keep riding carefully.  You are dreaming! You will go superman and the level of injury will be major skin donation to the asphalt gods and if you hit anything at that speed, you will have broken bones. If you try to run it out, you will have broken ankle or Knee ACL damage. If you fall backwards you will have concussion.

I assure you any of these injuries are not fun and some are permanent. I was lucky I had my protection. My ace plant would have been a major concussion for me but my chin and bike helmet too the brunt of the hit.

Just saying. You can look cool and living on the edge but the edge will cut you eventually. And most likely you will affect other people lives to take care of you recover if you do at best.

1 hour ago, kasenutty said:

Dpong- where do you get a cool baseball helmet like that?

I bought it from Amazon.com.  It is called an Easton CCX Grip Skull Cap Helmet. 

I love it for my casual slow riding, but I can't recommend it for EUC riding.  As some others have stated, it may not be good protection on a serious fall.  Maybe good for the first bounce only. 

I don't ride 20mph, yet.  I have fallen and gotten hurt before. I have another more proper helmet, and I will probably wear that with a faster wheel, should I get a faster wheel -or- when I do anything hinky.  But I wear this Easton helmet the most and tend to ride casually.   

20 hours ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

IMG_0701.JPG

Hi Carlos,

I didn't realize that picture was you.  I'm glad that you were protected and not injured worse than you were.  Falls are inevitable in this sport so we should all take care. 

18 hours ago, dpong said:

Hi Carlos,

I didn't realize that picture was you.  I'm glad that you were protected and not injured worse than you were.  Falls are inevitable in this sport so we should all take care. 

Yeah. I have falling experience and will not repeat again.  I had Knee, hands and head protection but at 20 MPH 32kph..... I could full face BMX healmet would have been nicer. and my body was sore for 2 weeks every where. no bruises, no roling. only sliding on my front.

Archived