Why won't my hoverboard turn on OR off and the Bluetooth device won't show up on my phone!!!

Josh

So I just recently bought a hoverboard off of eBay and the on button to turn on the board is no longer working. Whenever I click it it just beeps for about a second, no lights light up or anything. The battery is full. So the only way to turn it on is by using the lock/unlock feature on the key/remote that came with the board. I don't think the board is branded because it came in a box that said "Smart Balance Wheel" or something like that. It is a Bluetooth board btw in case that has anything to do with it. If someone could tell me why this is happening and how to fix it that would be mucho appreciated :) 

This sounds like a hazard to me! Can you exchange it with your seller? If you are qualified, maybe you can install a kill switch, or manually disconnect power supply. By the way, do you enjoy riding?

23 minutes ago, Villac said:

This sounds like a hazard to me! Can you exchange it with your seller? If you are qualified, maybe you can install a kill switch, or manually disconnect power supply. By the way, do you enjoy riding?

First off yes I do enjoy riding and I can't get off of the thing! Second, is there a better way than having to resend it or open the back? 

Josh, first off, take my advice with a grain of salt: I ride an electric unicycle, I've never touched a hoverboard: that should be warning enough to follow what I say :blink: 

We who choose to be free ALWAYS have the choice to open up the back (like the first vacuum cleaner I destroyed at age 8 and TV at age 10) but that method is sure to void the warranty!

Besides opening it or sending it back, you have the option of contacting the manufacturer, and these days you can sometimes get lucky and have a helpful email or Skype conversation with an engineer in the company who gets things straightened out without breaking the seal (some electronic devices will have reset codes like a sequence on the power button or via the bluetooth receiver). The trouble with hoverboards is that it can be tough to identify the manufacturer.

Hopefully someone here with actual hoverboard experience answers.

You should provide a little more detail: what is the make/model/model number/any markings or numbers on the case, provide a picture/video of the behavior. Also to clarify does the power button "on button" function to turn the unit on (and only fail to turn the unit off) or does it fail to turn the unit on and function when you want to turn it off? (the title of your thread is a bit different than your post)

It is almost easier to figure out if the power button does nothing at all: it means the button is broken or one of the wires/solder disconnected. If the button does something, (but the wrong thing) that is a little tougher because it might be a problem with the board that controls the unit.

Good luck, and at least you have a work around with the phone so you can ride (but keep that guy close to the smoke detector!)

On December 26, 2015 at 6:35 PM, Villac said:

Thirst off I'll change the title. Second all the button does is beep. It won't turn the board on OR off. It's literally useless. 

Realizing my mistakes, the board is manufactured in some off-branded Chinese warehouse or something, no brand. 

Even the Bluetooth feature doesn't work. It won't show up on my phone. 

I am aware of the hoverboards exploding which is why I keep it OUTSIDE in my backyard in the bag in the box. 

When I get home I will record what it does and edit this post. 

UPDATE: The seller said she would send me a kill switch and a video on how to install it.... However just my luck it's in Chinese -_-

@MChunn Hi, I would have to hear exactly the sound to be sure but generally if the battery accepts charge and receive beeps when power on then control board will be the fault. I have worked on several of these boards and basically the fault will be battery or board.

I can help anyone in Australia with compliant chargers - spare parts, genuine safe batteries and repairs.

On January 2, 2016 at 6:48 AM, MChunn said:

Did you find a solution to your issue?  My sons is doing the exact same thing. Trying to figure out how to solve the issue. 

Unfortunately no. However if you can contact your seller they may be able to send you a kill switch or s new motherboard. 

Now this is happening and the neighbors dog is freaking out! Nothing will turn it off

IMG_0664.mp4

** WARNING ** MATE.. Send it back and get your money back is my advice. Had the same thing happen with a VOVO Hoverboard purchased on eBay from Discounted Kiosk who are also known as Tradeworks International / Tradeworkz. They claim to be a Australian Seller / Company but when requesting the contact info through eBay I receive a Malaysian phone number and Address.. Tradeworks International is registered to a Vincent Gangemi with a current ABN but he has nothing to do with Discounted Kiosk, they are using his ABN. Discounted Kiosk is not an Australian Company. They use a Australian forwarding company based in Mascot, 2020 NSW

Associated Customs & Forwarding Services Pty Ltd 

Now for the Hoverboard. Power button failed after first use. Would not switch off / on (would only beep and nothing else).. Green Battery light was illuminated. Only way to power it off was with the remote but that doesn't actually switch it off. Just puts it in Standby mode. Bluetooth would not turn off even in standby mode. I was riding mine for approx. 20 minutes and the Green light was still illuminated showing it had a full battery. Then without any warning at all it powered itself off sending me flying / skidding along the bitumen for about 2 metres ripping chunks off me and leaving me laying in a pool of Blood. Put my back out, Busted my Ribs, Fractured my Pelvis, Dislocated my Thumb and fractured my elbow. If it wasn't for my Beer Belly my face probably would of taken the impact on the bitumen and I highly doubt I would be here now writing this comment to you. By the time I was able to pick myself up off the road and turn around to recover it the hoverboard had powered itself back on again and was out of control. It took off down the road rolling and bouncing and spinning out of control. Had to chase after it. Now I am bed ridden and in the process of reporting this company to Consumer Affairs. Contacted eBay and told them of my injuries caused by this cheap knockoff and of cause eBay protects the Fraudulent Malaysian Based Seller who has sold over 2000 of these death traps in Australia making over $1,000,000.00 off our poor Australian Consumers.. So I called Paypal and reported it now it has been sent back to them for a refund. I ended up Pulling the cover off to see the battery had a Samsung logo on it but I'm sure that was a counterfeit as well so I disconnected the Battery as it was making a continuous buzzing noise and I could of cooked Bacon and Eggs on the wheels they were that hot including the battery side on the casing / frame. I wasn't gunna take the risk of it exploding / burning my house down or exploding while in transit with the courier or at the post office.

They are cheap counterfeits and are extremely dangerous. My street is as smooth as glass and there was nothing on the road to cause this accident.  

They have no Electrical Safety Certification or Mandatory Standards. I will be seeking legal action against this company for my Injuries from this defective hoverboard..

Honestly I am just happy to be Alive. (Prefer to be Bed Ridden then Dead)..

Hope this is a wake up to anyone who purchased one of the Dangerous Death Traps from eBay Australia and I highly recommend returning it for a Full Refund.

VOVO DEATH TRAP danger.jpg

4 hours ago, Joshua Anthony said:

** WARNING ** MATE.. Send it back and get your money back is my advice. Had the same thing happen with a VOVO Hoverboard purchased on eBay from Discounted Kiosk who are also known as Tradeworks International / Tradeworkz. They claim to be a Australian Seller / Company but when requesting the contact info through eBay I receive a Malaysian phone number and Address.. Tradeworks International is registered to a Vincent Gangemi with a current ABN but he has nothing to do with Discounted Kiosk, they are using his ABN. Discounted Kiosk is not an Australian Company. They use a Australian forwarding company based in Mascot, 2020 NSW

Associated Customs & Forwarding Services Pty Ltd 

Now for the Hoverboard. Power button failed after first use. Would not switch off / on (would only beep and nothing else).. Green Battery light was illuminated. Only way to power it off was with the remote but that doesn't actually switch it off. Just puts it in Standby mode. Bluetooth would not turn off even in standby mode. I was riding mine for approx. 20 minutes and the Green light was still illuminated showing it had a full battery. Then without any warning at all it powered itself off sending me flying / skidding along the bitumen for about 2 metres ripping chunks off me and leaving me laying in a pool of Blood. Put my back out, Busted my Ribs, Fractured my Pelvis, Dislocated my Thumb and fractured my elbow. If it wasn't for my Beer Belly my face probably would of taken the impact on the bitumen and I highly doubt I would be here now writing this comment to you. By the time I was able to pick myself up off the road and turn around to recover it the hoverboard had powered itself back on again and was out of control. It took off down the road rolling and bouncing and spinning out of control. Had to chase after it. Now I am bed ridden and in the process of reporting this company to Consumer Affairs. Contacted eBay and told them of my injuries caused by this cheap knockoff and of cause eBay protects the Fraudulent Malaysian Based Seller who has sold over 2000 of these death traps in Australia making over $1,000,000.00 off our poor Australian Consumers.. So I called Paypal and reported it now it has been sent back to them for a refund. I ended up Pulling the cover off to see the battery had a Samsung logo on it but I'm sure that was a counterfeit as well so I disconnected the Battery as it was making a continuous buzzing noise and I could of cooked Bacon and Eggs on the wheels they were that hot including the battery side on the casing / frame. I wasn't gunna take the risk of it exploding / burning my house down or exploding while in transit with the courier or at the post office.

They are cheap counterfeits and are extremely dangerous. My street is as smooth as glass and there was nothing on the road to cause this accident.  

They have no Electrical Safety Certification or Mandatory Standards. I will be seeking legal action against this company for my Injuries from this defective hoverboard..

Honestly I am just happy to be Alive. (Prefer to be Bed Ridden then Dead)..

Hope this is a wake up to anyone who purchased one of the Dangerous Death Traps from eBay Australia and I highly recommend returning it for a Full Refund.

VOVO DEATH TRAP danger.jpg

Wow thank you so much. I don't know however if they will accept my board after its damaged. I will try though. Hope you get better soon. 

Hi Josh, slowly recovering, Thanks. You will be covered by eBay's Money Back Guarantee even if the item is damaged as mine was damaged from it powering off with no warning and throwing me off / powering itself back on and bouncing / spinning itself out of control. I even told eBay that I had removed the casing and disconnected the battery as it was getting hot and the battery side was buzzing in standby mode and that I was in fear of it catching on fire or even worse exploding as I have seen all over the news today of houses being burnt down from them (probably cause they were left on charge longer then stated as no one reads instructions anymore). But that wasn't the case with mine. It continued to get hot and I couldn't touch the wheels half an hour / to an hour after the accident that being the reason I removed the casing and disconnected the battery, As I said I could of Cooked bacon and eggs on the wheels. I was covered by the money back guarantee as the board was defective and by the sounds of it your board is also defective. 

Goodluck mate.

@Joshua Anthony

That is scary shit right there. Hope you recover quickly. As an avid "hoverboarder" riding a Chinese made board, I can feel your concern and frustration. There seems to be some really crappy clones that were made as cheaply as possible and these are the ones causing all the recent problems. Guess you got one of those unfortunately. :(

On January 5, 2016 at 8:08 PM, Joshua Anthony said:

Hi Josh, slowly recovering, Thanks. You will be covered by eBay's Money Back Guarantee even if the item is damaged as mine was damaged from it powering off with no warning and throwing me off / powering itself back on and bouncing / spinning itself out of control. I even told eBay that I had removed the casing and disconnected the battery as it was getting hot and the battery side was buzzing in standby mode and that I was in fear of it catching on fire or even worse exploding as I have seen all over the news today of houses being burnt down from them (probably cause they were left on charge longer then stated as no one reads instructions anymore). But that wasn't the case with mine. It continued to get hot and I couldn't touch the wheels half an hour / to an hour after the accident that being the reason I removed the casing and disconnected the battery, As I said I could of Cooked bacon and eggs on the wheels. I was covered by the money back guarantee as the board was defective and by the sounds of it your board is also defective. 

Goodluck mate.

Thanks. My only drawback of returning it is finding a good board to get after I send it back that is reasonably priced (~$300 no higher than $470), has Bluetooth, and with the right colors. I know I am very picky about my board but I have friends come over a lot so the Bluetooth would be nice. 

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I don't know if you've found a solution to  the problem, but I'm sending this reply to help others in the future who finds this thread on Google.

Possible problems:

1. The power cable connection is disconnected or broken.

2. There are certain brands that will create a short circuit immediately when the battery is installed, so you wouldn't be able to turn the hoverboard off unless you unplug the battery.

3. Your motherboard (aka logic or control board) is damaged and will create a problem just like number 2. Replacing the motherboard is easy. Some people prefer to buy the whole set to upgrade to Bluetooth if they do not have it already.

This website has some good troubleshooting tips:

https://scooterrepairstore.com/pages/faqs

Let me know if this helps.

Archived