London

Paddylaz

Realized there isn't a London page so thought it'd be worth having a dedicated one for both the city and surrounding suburbs.

ill be in Hyde park tomorrow and maybe also battersea park breaking-in my Lhotz. Let me know if anyone is around ?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's a great idea to have a London page - there's some awesome spots in London! Below are some of the places that I have found worth visiting with an electric unicycle, it would be great to hear other people's suggestions. 

Skate-parks for electric unicycling (in alphabetical order):

Bloblands Skatepark (This partly homemade skate-park sits on a hill. At the bottom there is a tarmac football pitch which is great for cone practice).

Bromley Skatepark (The ramps are skate-lite which is rather slippery but still good fun.)

Cantelowes Skatepark (Camden) (The street area is okay for EUCs although it gets ridiculously overcrowded at the weekend)

Pollard's Hill Skatepark (this park a bit out of the way but it's really well laid out for EUC riding. There's also a big hill you can ride up which has a really good view out over South London).

South Norwood Recreation Ground (very small area but all parts can be used with an electric unicycle)

Stockwell "Brixton Bowls" Skatepark in Brixton (Classic skate-park which is great fun on an electric unicycle although it can get crowded, particularly in the afternoon. Can take a while to dry out after rain).

Clapham Common Skatepark (lovely skatepark, but can get very overcrowded at the weekend)

Wandle Park Skate-park in Croydon (great range of slopes, ramps, a box with a high quality surface. A day off in the week is the best time to visit)

Parks/Spaces with Flat areas (good for practising with cones):

Crystal Palace Park (lovely park with various circuits and a big flat area below the site of the former Crystal Palace, ideal for a weekend morning session)

Near O2 arena along Olympian Way - down next to the Thames behind the Golf driving range (very peaceful with awesome views). Apparently it's going to be redeveloped into a cruise liner terminal at some point but until then it's perfect.

I've been learning for a few weeks now, I can go along fine but I want to learn to go up kerbs, mount without haveing to hold onto something or look like a chicken flapping its wings as I try and jump on it.

Do you know if anyone does lessons in the london / surrey / sussex area?

Regards Matt

Jonathan jst seen your videos, your def got the hang of it

2 hours ago, Matt Hartfree said:

I've been learning for a few weeks now, I can go along fine but I want to learn to go up kerbs, mount without haveing to hold onto something or look like a chicken flapping its wings as I try and jump on it.

Do you know if anyone does lessons in the london / surrey / sussex area?

Regards Matt

Jonathan jst seen your videos, your def got the hang of it

Project 42 do sessions in Lambeth - but they're really geared at beginners/potential customers rather than someone with their own euc wanting to improve.

You should come by Hyde park/Ken gardens sometime. A few of us are around there on nice days. Actually I'm off Thursday so might go then if the weather gets better around here ?

27 minutes ago, Matt Hartfree said:

Love to come up on Thursday unfortuantly I have to work, keep me posted, when the weather turns better i'll skive a day off work :)

Sounds good. Ken gardens/Hyde park is quite a nice playground. Some long stretches but also some nooks and crannies here and there. Plus a tourist stops you every two seconds to ask about them ?

Will definitely be there Thursday as meant to be the best day of this week. Otherwise, there most Saturday's! ?

What wheel have you got?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I plan to go to Hyde park this sunday. Anybody interested? I am quite newbie, but since a few weeks, I manage to do awesome stuffs. I would like to plan either a street session to share best practice and do tricks or to follow the sunday stroll but in unicycle (and maybe learn the way for an only unicycle one), here: http://www.lfns.co.uk/ .

Great, Hyde Parc, 1.30 sunday? Marble arch or Hyde Parc Corner, as you wish. I'll send you my number pm. You'll recognise me easily, I will have an electric unicycle :)

There is not rain forecasted by the met office.

3 hours ago, yvesCr said:

Marble arch is cool, around speaker's corner, listening the show? 

Let's spin the wheel :)

Marble Arch 1:30 Sunday 20th March, I'll be there. Anyone else coming along?

Thanks Keith, just for you others people knows it, we went to speak to the roller blade stroll organisers on sunday.

The organisers were really open to different wheels and encourage us to join them again. So if you have the occasion, feel free, it's every sunday.

They let us join the stroll, in the back, with the bicycle, to not collapse with the rollerblade. And I was quite happy about that, as the roller bladers do wide movements. So better to have at least one meter to separate us. But it was enough to enjoy the security of the pack and allow us to ride on the road. And we enjoyed the sound system as well.

In the end, all went well, but I still don't feel that it is a secure way to travel yet.

At the start, after a red light for example, I still need one or two meters to be comfortable and beginning to be aware of what surround me. So if something happened in this 2 meters, I can't react as fast I would do with a bicycle. It should be resolve when I will not need any more to look at the euc at the start.

And on the road, I still have difficulties to look back without loosing my balance, especially when I am fast. So a few times I wasn't sure about motorcycles trying to double the all pack. And can't look back without loosing my concentration. So it is a big blind spot. I plan to go back to hyde park in three weeks to work on these notions, maybe doing a slalom and backward session.

If there is motivated people, it could be a nice afternoon.

Just to follow up on @yvesCr post above, at @yvesCr excellent suggestion we asked permission to join the rollerbladers, see: http://www.lfns.co.uk/about/what-is-the-lfns/.

Now I had assumed this would be a ride in the park - Oh no - it was an 8 mile roll through the West End down to Parsons Green (for a short break) down to the river at Albert Bridge, along the embankment and back through Chelsea to Hyde Park on the roads with at least 100 skaters, half a dozen bikes and us on EUC's. The marshals were controlling the traffic at every junction and being at the back of a large pack felt really safe. Speeds never got higher than 10MPH, in fact riding at very slow speeds, starting without support and controlled braking if a skater fell in front of you was way more important - after 8 miles I was a whole lot better at all 3! The slowish speed definitely helped with range as well - I do not think I would risk trying to do the whole course with less than a 340Wh battery.

all in all it worked out really well, the skaters were a really nice friendly group, and it was great fun - I saw bits of London I hadn't seen for years. Slowing down the astonishingly large number of supercars: Ferrari's, Porches, etc on those roads was just an added bonus ;-)

The legal position? As far as I can see our wheels would be subject to the same laws as the skaters. I.e. This was an organised event, with permission, on the roads and with excellent safety controls by the organisers. I'm confident we were operating entirely legally as part of this group.

Hi People, I plan to spend my Sunday afternoon on an EUC. Either visiting Shoreditch + the border of the Thames or training to do tricks on a park. So far, I don't yet have a clue about the details for the stroll, and if some of you have ideas, feel free to join the discuss. Anybody motivated?  @Keith, for exemple?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived