Ninebot One E+ First impressions & experience from a newb

SerpentineGX

Reason for getting a electric unicycle:

To commute back and forth from home to the train station then to work. Also, to have fun around town on the weekends. Give my car (S2000) a break and bring it to the shop for some upgrades.

The research:

I spent about two weeks figuring out what I needed and what I wanted in a wheel. It had to be able to travel about 7-7.5 miles (3 miles to train, 4.1 miles from train to work) on a single charge in case I couldn’t charge on the train. So 15 miles a day would be my would be my daily commute. More if I take different routes.

I watched countless videos and read various articles on what seems to be endless brands and non-brands of wheels. I figured a 14” – 18” wheel would be best for my routs. I figured bigger the wheel the better it can handle rough roads. The battery had to be a decent size 240Wh+. It had to go around 10-13mph.  Lights on the front and back would be a bonus as half my commute is at night.

The budget:

$300-$500 USD

That quickly rose after researching. Lol Although, I was about to pull the trigger on a TG-F3 350W w/264Wh battery, 14” wheel. I decided a bigger wheel would suite my needs better.

New budget: $900 USD

I decided the Ninebot One E had what I was looking for. But for the price the battery seemed rather small. $850 for a 240Wh battery and 500W of power.  Again, I was about to pull the trigger till I noticed they made a E+ with a 320Wh battery. I ended up with the  Ninebot One E+ from the Ninebot store on ebay for $900 shipped. 10 or 11 days later it was at my house. FAST SHIPPING from China to the US!

Unboxing:

I was like a kid on Christmas morning. I unboxed this wheel.

It came with the following:

The wheel

Two sets of green padding

Instructions

Power brick, both US and Chinese extension.

Day 1:

I’m new to EU’s so this proved more difficult than I imagined.  I stood on it up against a wall and rocked back and forth to see how sensitive it was. Then I braved it and tried to “just do it”.  I went a couple feet and lost control. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Getting up and going was difficult. I then went and got a dog leash from inside (thanks, Leia – pit bull) and hooked the loop to the open end of the Ninebot’s handle. That helped out a lot. I was able to mount the wheel easier and actually go further and further. What I noticed the more I tensed up I was the harder it was to ride.  My center of gravity changed, it’s a lot lower. Once I loosened up and leaned forward it accelerated. When I leaned back it slowed down. I was able to take it around the block. I did drop it once but I still felt great about it. The leash was/is a big time help for this newb. I continued to ride in a empty parking lot. I started to practice my turning. This was difficult. At slower speeds I would just fall off. At faster speeds they were extremely wide turns. While practicing my turns I also practiced my mounts because of all the falls. I did this for a few hours total.

Day 2:

My inner calves are killing me!!! It feels like a bruise on to of a bruise but without the markings. After 3 cups coffee on an empty stomach I get the jitters. I grab the leash and set out to get some food on the wheel. I spend a couple minutes relearning how to mount and get going. I jam up and down the block to get warmed up. I go through the neighborhood and to a local place. Made it! Filled up and waited for the jitters to go away. Now I can ride more relaxed. I cruise over to the same empty parking lot and start cruising through the pathways to the local businesses. There I started to practice doing figure 8’s. I’m starting get more control and feeling out how to lean and twist my hips better. Also notice my leash has way more slack than before. I have more control and am more confident. Still needs a lot of work but I’m falling less and less. I then go to another parking lot with rougher terrain. I have less control and wobble more. So I practice there for a bit then cruise home to take a break. My inner calves are still killing me and my feet are tired. I rest up then go back out. I go back to the nice smooth parking lot. I continue to practice on turning and start challenging myself to slower more narrow turns. I’m still hammering them out but getting more consistent. I then run around the neighborhoods’ sidewalks and streets. Battery was getting low and noticed the power wasn’t the same. So I call it a day and cruise home to plug in.

Conclusion:

The build of the Ninebot One is solid. It’s also heavy. But because of the weight it felt stable at about 12-13mph. The LED lights are good for side to side visibility but I still need to get a front and back light safety. Reflection tape might work? Hmmm. I’m glad I went with this wheel. No regrets. I’m not sure if I’m ready to take this to work just yet but I’m feeling better now than when I fist stepped on it. I also use the Ninedroid app for my iPhone 5s. It gives me an extra level of control, keeps track of mileage, has a speedometer, controls the lights, changes the speed settings of the wheel, and more. I’m still getting familiar with the app.

Tomorrow:

Maybe we’ll see how the wheel does at night when I get home from work? I’m curious to see how the road looks and to see what I can’t see. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For front and rear lights you you could try a head torch, the led zoomable ones are getting really good now and a small led bike rear light can either clip to your clothing or the rear of the headlight strap.

It keeps the clutter off the wheel. It would be a shame to spoil the smooth design looks of the Ninebot!

Hi I too have a ninebot one and have found these lights to be a nice addition,with a small amount of adjustment they will fit directly into the premade screw holes front and back. :)

Lezyne femto available online,eBay even halfords

Good luck

Welcome to the world of the EU.  To be a pro rider you really need to face plant 1-2 times.  If you have not done so already don't worry you will have plenty of chances when you test your unicycles limits.  Either on purpose or over confidence.  I've done so twice... once in the first hour of getting my unicycle.  Second due to the Torque Reaction.  More info at this thread...

Have to agree with Gimlet about the headlamp.  As you can set the light to where you are looking and it will illuminate from a higher position, instead of a fixed position on your wheel, close to the ground.  Helps you to scout the path you are turning into for potholes and the like without having to commit to the turn already.

Bravo! That's a lot of progress in just 2 days!!! With that aggressive learning, you can make it to work but I wouldn't go that soon. Like in the above post over confidence sometimes can do damage. My 2 cents.

As long as you start early and give yourself plenty of time so that you don't feel rushed you'll be fine.

There's no substitute for putting travelling miles on the wheel. By the second or third day of using it for your commute it'll feel as natural as walking.

Thanks for the great review.

To do to work by wheel, my recommendation is:

Can you're looking backward during driving straight?

Or (better and) can you drive a longer distance (10 Meter) within a path of 50cm with variable speed

If yes, you will be able to go to work with it.

Remember: To drive within traffic is a hugh difference then to drive on a parking lot

Wow, thanx for posting, I wanted to know of someone with this model, great! First, buy knee (flat pad type) pads and wear them on your inner shins, my airwheel has no padding, so this is all I have to protect myself and it works great, besides geek look... Second after you get use to it after a week or so please post the range you get with a full charge, knowing real distance will help others. I was looking for another wheel, between E+ and a gotwheel, we'll see...

Glad you found a way to get a strap on it, not only will help learning, you'll not constantly bending over holding wheel, you will be in control of it during a spill and it will not go off on its own and crash into something/one, or damage wheel itself...

For front and rear lights you you could try a head torch, the led zoomable ones are getting really good now and a small led bike rear light can either clip to your clothing or the rear of the headlight strap.

It keeps the clutter off the wheel. It would be a shame to spoil the smooth design looks of the Ninebot!

I'll definitely look into a head torch. Any recommendations? Something small and light and stealthy would be nice. I can keep it in my backpack.

Hi I too have a ninebot one and have found these lights to be a nice addition,with a small amount of adjustment they will fit directly into the premade screw holes front and back.  :)
Lezyne femto available online,eBay even halfords
Good luck

These are great! Do you have any pics you can show? I noticed they are mounted to by band or clip. I'm curious how you got them mounted on your wheel. I'll most likely be picking up a set of these. I like how small they are and the ease of use to turn them on. 

Welcome to the world of the EU.  To be a pro rider you really need to face plant 1-2 times.  If you have not done so already don't worry you will have plenty of chances when you test your unicycles limits.  Either on purpose or over confidence.  I've done so twice... once in the first hour of getting my unicycle.  Second due to the Torque Reaction.  More info at this thread... 

Have to agree with Gimlet about the headlamp.  As you can set the light to where you are looking and it will illuminate from a higher position, instead of a fixed position on your wheel, close to the ground.  Helps you to scout the path you are turning into for potholes and the like without having to commit to the turn already.

I hope I don't face plant anytime soon. lol But if it happens then it happens. I read the thread about the torque lean. Was very interesting. My wheel throttles back when at the limit, it also beeps. I'll have to play around with the settings to see if I have more control with it.

Bravo! That's a lot of progress in just 2 days!!! With that aggressive learning, you can make it to work but I wouldn't go that soon. Like in the above post over confidence sometimes can do damage. My 2 cents.

Not taking it to work just yet. I'm waiting for some "muscle memory" to kick in so It feels more natural. I really don't want to eat it hard when I'm out and about. lol I also want to be able to hop off a curb, comfortably, and, eventually, hop on a curb. That will help out on my daily routine.

As long as you start early and give yourself plenty of time so that you don't feel rushed you'll be fine.

There's no substitute for putting travelling miles on the wheel. By the second or third day of using it for your commute it'll feel as natural as walking.

I'm the type of person that hits snooze till the last minute. I'll probably do a couple dry runs on the weekend before I commit to taking it and to see approximate time it takes to get there. I'm looking forward to travelling on this wheel. :)

Thanks for the great review.

To do to work by wheel, my recommendation is:

Can you're looking backward during driving straight?

Or (better and) can you drive a longer distance (10 Meter) within a path of 50cm with variable speed

If yes, you will be able to go to work with it.

Remember: To drive within traffic is a hugh difference then to drive on a parking lot

Great advice. I'll practice both for sure. I also want to practice riding backwards as it may come in handy and improve overall ballance. I did go to busier streets but turned away. Wasn't ready for it...yet. :)

Wow, thanx for posting, I wanted to know of someone with this model, great! First, buy knee (flat pad type) pads and wear them on your inner shins, my airwheel has no padding, so this is all I have to protect myself and it works great, besides geek look... Second after you get use to it after a week or so please post the range you get with a full charge, knowing real distance will help others. I was looking for another wheel, between E+ and a gotwheel, we'll see...

Glad you found a way to get a strap on it, not only will help learning, you'll not constantly bending over holding wheel, you will be in control of it during a spill and it will not go off on its own and crash into something/one, or damage wheel itself...

Wish I would have got a knee pad to begin with. lol I could probably wear it on the inside of my pants. The leash works great! It's like my very own security blanket. I might just get a new and chop it down to size. Onces I get more comfortable I'll post up actual mileage and conditions. I'm curious myself. 

Do you think I should move this thread to the "Reviews" subforum?

I wouldn't really call this a "review" of the wheel. It's just what I'm experiencing as move forward. I will post a review once I know the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I wouldn't really call this a "review" of the wheel. It's just what I'm experiencing as move forward. I will post a review once I know the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I changed the "Reviews" sub-forum name to "Reviews & First Impressions" just for this post haha.  Moved it over and left a link to it in the "General Discussion" as well.  Thanks for the first impression post!

Day 3:

First I’d like to say thank you to everyone. You guys gave me a lot of helpful advice, recommendations, and food for thought. Cheers!

So I get home, grab the wheel and leash and set out to do a little night riding. Mounting the wheel got a little wobbly but I was able to ease out of it, gain my composure, and relax. I jam over to the usual parking lot I’ve been practicing on. The lights are on but dim. Perfect! It serves as a perfect playground as I know the surface is smooth and no hidden obstacles. There is also a lot of dark patches to ride in to see how difficult it is to see in those conditions. Without a doubt I need some sort of light! Be it a head torch, fixed attachment to the wheel, or both.

I continue to ride around lot for 10 minutes or so then move on to some close by businesses, that are closed, and travel along the wide sidewalk. The lighting conditions brightened up but not much as everything was closed. The street lamps provided adequate lighting. I wouldn’t wear the head torch there but would want a “be seen” light on the front and back of the wheel.

I go back to my neighborhood and cruise the streets there. The lampposts are dimly lit by design. So I search for one of the darker streets where the lampposts are spread further apart and go in that direction. I found myself going a lot slower and being more cautious. I kept looking behind me for any cars coming and kept an ear open for any sudden noises. I keep riding till I make to the main streets. I decide to call it a night cruise home.

I learned a lot of things tonight. I need some sort of light source. Riding on sidewalks seemed to take more work, especially at night, because of all the unbalanced driveway dips. If the Ninebot One didn’t have LED’s then I don’t know if anyone could see me or not? Commute time will take longer at night as my speed decreased, though that may change with experience?

I didn’t fall once!  Wooohooooo! J

Hi there glad ur out there enjoying it,here's a link for a picture of the lights fitted to ninebot one not mine but easy enough to fit,do away with the rubber band,unscrew the rear cap drill small holes and the screw that to the ninebot then screw on the front section..done ! They operate by tapping the front of the light for flash,fast flash ,pulsing,on etc

Hope that helps

Wondering how you are mounting on the wheel so fast. I'm still struggling even with support like an electric pole or a  tree. It seems so easy on YouTube but are there any tips to master it?

Also as a newbie, can you contribute to the Poll ( for desired features) we have in general section,  with your input? Thanks.

To help you get the hang of mounting try scooting your wheel without putting your second foot in place.

If you can get the riding on one leg for 3 or 4 metres you'll find that putting your second foot on at a leasurly pace is much easier.

Wondering how you are mounting on the wheel so fast. I'm still struggling even with support like an electric pole or a  tree. It seems so easy on YouTube but are there any tips to master it?

Also as a newbie, can you contribute to the Poll ( for desired features) we have in general section,  with your input? Thanks.

I'm using a dog leash still but probably don't need it anymore. To mount I just give a slight kick off and gently lean forward into it. Wasn't the easiest thing to learn. lol The key, for me, was to be able to grip the wheel with my right foot and leg. I can't do it with my left side yet. Try rocking your wheel back and forth with one leg and try to find that "grip" between foot, leg, and wheel. You should be able to tell how sensitive your wheel is and how to mount it. Hope that helps. I'm still new and I know there's a ton of experienced riders here that can chime in.

I started taking my wheel to work as of yesterday. FREEDOM! I'm loving it. This wheel is a head turner for sure and a conversation starter. I kind of feel like I'm on center stage when, in fact, I don't want to be. The pressure to not wipe out in front of an onlooking audience is crazy. lol But whatever, I'll still ride.

Hi SerpentineGX, I like the description of your first impressions with Ninebot One E+. I felt exactly the same wit my Airwheel X3. 

What firmware version are you running on your NB1? Maybe I will buy one for me.

At the moment there are discussions about the newest update version 1.1.6. (See for example

https://www.speedyfeet.uk/kb_results.asp?ID=12

Regards from Switzerland

Bigi

Hi SerpentineGX, I like the description of your first impressions with Ninebot One E+. I felt exactly the same wit my Airwheel X3. 

What firmware version are you running on your NB1? Maybe I will buy one for me.

At the moment there are discussions about the newest update version 1.1.6. (See for example

https://www.speedyfeet.uk/kb_results.asp?ID=12

Regards from Switzerland

Bigi

Hi Bigi Tum,

Thanks for the link. That's helping me out a lot with the app. I had no idea you had to turn off the wheel before the settings adjusted the wheel. Maybe that will change in the future or they can let you know, in the app, to restart the wheel? My wheel came with version 1.1.6 so I don't know what the differences were?

How long have you had your Airwheel X3? How do you like it so far?

Cheers!

So I took the wheel and backpack to run some errands today. First stop, Big 5 Sporting Goods. I needed a new pump for my wheel. The one downer about the wheel is how you have to pump the tire. You have to remove the LED light ring that reveals a small rectangular passthrough to get to the valve. Ugh! More work than it should be. Big 5 had a small selection so I was left with only one choice. It's Bell Airstomper 200. It's a foot pump. It was the only one with a small enough nozzle to fit that little rectangle passthrough. At least it has a gauge. Next stop was Staples for another 4TB external hard drive. Then to the store for a couple tall cans of Sapporo. Then off to my friend's house to knock them cans back. Traffic was fairly light and easy to navigate. 

Later today I decided to make a video with my phone. Here's my playground. It's the same parking lot that I've been going to time and time again. It has nice little places to practice various things. It's also a safe place for newbs like me. The video is pretty raw but you get the point. :)

https://youtu.be/lrTv8UxopEw

Reason for getting a electric unicycle:

To commute back and forth from home to the train station then to work. Also, to have fun around town on the weekends. Give my car (S2000) a break and bring it to the shop for some upgrades.

Nice to read your report. And nice car you have, the Honda S2000 is one of my favourites.

I have a Honda (in the USA it's an Acura actually) as well and my Solowheel just barely fits behind my drivers seat if I take it with me. They make for a nice combination :)

To embed the video in your post you have to enter a youtube url that is NOT "youtu.be".

Embedding here on behalf of SerpentineGX

Thanks, arbee. I didn't know "youtu.be" wouldn't embed it.

Nice to read your report. And nice car you have, the Honda S2000 is one of my favourites.

I have a Honda (in the USA it's an Acura actually) as well and my Solowheel just barely fits behind my drivers seat if I take it with me. They make for a nice combination :)

I love the way the S2000 drives. It's especially fun up in the mountains or where there's a lot of bends. I need to make room in the trunk for my wheel. The space for my wheel is currently being occupied by a speaker box with a 10" sub. Maybe I'll get a custom box that is ancored to either side of the trunk? Hmmmm...

Which Honda do you have? It sounds like your set with your car and wheel. :) 

I’m retired since April and I was looking for a new challenge and I found it with my Airwheel. Actually to be honest it’s only a clone of an Airwheel, it’s called Power Wheel X3. I wanted to know if I’m able to ride an EUC and so I bought it. It is available in Switzerland for only 449 Swiss Franks .. and I must say: I’m having very much fun! 

At the beginning I did not use a leash - as you did - but a thick rope. Now I’m able to ride my X3 slowly and safely (which is much harder than to drive it fast) and I’m going to town and can ride between pedestrians without any problems. It’s now for me like riding a bicycle. 
I’m very happy with my X3. It is slow but until now very reliable and I’m feeling very comfortable. I do not need a fast EUC. 15 km/h is enough for me. But now I would like to have a bit more power. Not to be faster but to get more dynamic. With my almost 110 kg and almost 2 m I’m feeling the lack of power and also the low capacity of the battery (130 Wh). And I also think that 16“ would fit better for me.
My son is driving the Ninebot One E since about two weeks and I had the opportunity to make a test ride. Unfortunately he made the firmware update to version 1.1.6. He says that before this update the NB1 behaved far much better than it does now. He even fell and was injured so hard that he needed the doctor. He says it’s because of this strange behaviour of version 1.1.6. Luckily no bones are broken.
After riding the NB1 and comparing it to my X3 I have to state, that it really behaves strange. This shaking or oscillating forth and back in order to tell (or to force) the rider to slow down is definitely a very, very bad idea. In fact it’s a source of accidents instead of avoiding them. I guess it has not been tested with riders of my weight. With me it already starts at an estimated speed of 10 to 12 km/h.
Unfortunately I can not tell how it was before the firmware update, but it seems that this new version (1.1.6) is (mildly spoken) unfortunate. 
Now we're waiting for the next update, in the hope that Ninebot will solve that problem.

Cheers, Bigi

Archived