Another 30km/h Microworks and battery upgrade

DebboR

1 minute ago, Tom said:

How did you purchase a single item from Microworks? They all seem to have 100 min order. Good luck with the project, will be closely watching :ph34r:

You just have to contact them via alibaba. They will make you a personal order, in which they change the quantity. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, lizardmech said:

Any chance of a picture of the two motors with the covers removed? Interested to see what is the different between the two in terms of winding and magnets.

Hmm, might have considered it while changing out the motor, but now it's a bit too much work.

Also, I doubt that the difference in the winding would be easy to see because of the large number of poles. 

I've been using the EUC for a few weeks now, so I'll update this thread with my experiences soon :-)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2015 at 5:25 PM, DebboR said:

Hmm, might have considered it while changing out the motor, but now it's a bit too much work.

Also, I doubt that the difference in the winding would be easy to see because of the large number of poles. 

I've been using the EUC for a few weeks now, so I'll update this thread with my experiences soon :-)

Hi, any news?

Did you received BMS, is it good?

Cheers! ;-)

@DebboR great job. I'm planning to follow in your footsteps.

Do you use your old battery in parallel with the new, or did you remove the old one?

I was also wondering about the BMS specs. It says "Over current detection current 80A±10A", so it's a bit unclear if it cuts at 80A or 10A... I was considering using Samsung INR 18650-30Q batteries, which can handle sustained 15A and over 30A load spikes, so it would be a pity if the BMS shuts the current off below that... on the other hand, when using weaker batteries, isn't there a risk of overloading them if the BMS only cuts them off at 80A? any thoughts on that?

4 minutes ago, Tomek said:

@DebboR great job. I'm planning to follow in your footsteps.

Do you use your old battery in parallel with the new, or did you remove the old one?

Thank you! I like tinkering with stuff, so if you do too, I highly suggest trying this upgrade. It's well worth it in my opinion, and makes the EUC a lot more useful.
I did not connect the old battery pack in parallel with this one, due to the fact that the old BMS was broken (see one of my other topics), and the EUC doesn't have any room left to put it in. Also, I mostly only do 2-3km a day, so range really isn't a problem for me.

Just now, Tomek said:

I was also wondering about the BMS specs. It says "Over current detection current 80A±10A", so it's a bit unclear if it cuts at 80A or 10A... I was considering using Samsung INR 18650-30Q batteries, which can handle sustained 15A and over 30A load spikes, so it would be a pity if the BMS shuts the current off below that... on the other hand, when using weaker batteries, isn't there a risk of overloading them if the BMS only cuts them off at 80A? any thoughts on that?

80±10A means that it is a cutoff of 80A, with a maximum fault of 10A (so effectively between 70 and 90A), so you don't have to worry about that. Also, if you bridge the MOSFET's, the output of the BMS is directly connected with the cells, so the over current protection is completely circumvented.

When using weaker batteries, if the current is too high, the voltage of the battery also drops. If the voltage becomes too low (measured by the controller), it just shuts the EUC down, as it knows it no longer has enough power to maintain a steady ride. The over current protection will only be useful in the event of a short-circuit longer than a few seconds or so, as the cells aren't really happy with that. If you wire everything up correctly and make sure that the connections are nice and secure, there shouldn't be a lot of risk.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, DebboR said:

80±10A means that it is a cutoff of 80A, with a maximum fault of 10A (so effectively between 70 and 90A)

Embarrassing, I wasn't thinking straight here...

32 minutes ago, DebboR said:

Also, if you bridge the MOSFET's, the output of the BMS is directly connected with the cells, so the over current protection is completely circumvented.

Not sure what you mean by bridging MOSFETs. The shunting hack?

14 minutes ago, DebboR said:

When using weaker batteries, if the current is too high, the voltage of the battery also drops. If the voltage becomes too low (measured by the controller), it just shuts the EUC down, as it knows it no longer has enough power to maintain a steady ride. The over current protection will only be useful in the event of a short-circuit longer than a few seconds or so, as the cells aren't really happy with that. If you wire everything up correctly and make sure that the connections are nice and secure, there shouldn't be a lot of risk.

Nice clarification!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2015 at 10:42 PM, DebboR said:

They are spot welded, but I didn't bother to do this myself (I would have had to make the welder first), so I ordered them pre-welded (for €0,40 per cell extra).

Can you please share where did you do spot welding or where to find U-tabs, i cannot find anywhere here in Belgium :-(

I still waiting my BMS...

1 hour ago, Jug said:

Can you please share where did you do spot welding or where to find U-tabs, i cannot find anywhere here in Belgium :-(

I still waiting my BMS...

I ordered them on www.nkon.nl. With most of their cells, you can select the optional U-tabs while ordering. They do all the spot welding for you :).

Just now, DebboR said:

I ordered them on www.nkon.nl. With most of their cells, you can select the optional U-tabs while ordering. They do all the spot welding for you :).

Well, the problem is i already have batteries, i just need to find someone to do spot welding or to find those tabs to solder myself, but i cant find that in Belgium!

Weird :unsure:

Thanks anyway ;)

7 minutes ago, Jug said:

Well, the problem is i already have batteries, i just need to find someone to do spot welding or to find those tabs to solder myself, but i cant find that in Belgium!

Weird :unsure:

Thanks anyway ;)

You don't have to buy the tabs. Just cut some copper (or other metal) strips, they'll work fine. 

Making a small spot welder to do these kind of welds isn't very easy, but certainly doable with a microwave transformer and some electronics knowledge. I've read about welding tabs, and supposedly it happens in 2 pulses. The first pulse is the shortest, and takes care of softening the metal to ease the actual welding. The second pulse is a bit longer (a few ms), and actually does the welding.

I suppose it would be possible to put a relay in series with the transformer input side, and controlling it with an arduino or something similar.

I might actually try to build one myself some day.

Lol, :P I was also thinking about that to build from old microwave, but it will take some time to do that so maybe 

29 minutes ago, DebboR said:

some day.

like you ;)

Thanks for clearing that for copper or other, i was thinking that is maybe weak for the current or something :wacko: