Helmet......the cool factor

Paulandjacquelyn

Ok....I bought all my safety gear for learning how to ride. Helmet, wrist guards, elbow n knee pads .   Unfortunately I learned to ride extremely quick so have not touched the stuff.    I'm not stupid and know helmet wnd wrist guards are important...BUT

-How many of you are HONESTLY wearing a helmet every time you ride?

-Post if you don't and why ?

-Post if you DO and what kind?

I know i will crash at some point but us humans seem to defy logical approach lol

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My kids are wearing helmets. I'll do it also again. I'm a low speed rider, no risk. I ride the EU to relax.

Had a nice experience on friday at a fun ice-hockey cup. I fall on the back and with a bang I knocked with the back side of the head on the ice. As we all had full protectors and helmets I had a bad feeling for 10 seconds. Shaked the head and all was well.

Around 20 years ago I had a bicycle accident one again each other. So I got a free fly with the medical helicopter to the next bigger hospital, I was in hospital for 2 weeks or so, got reshaped some broken bones on the head (nose/ eyes area), 3 crowns on tooths. Never rode bicycle without helmet again. 

So take care..

I tried wearing a butt guard but it becomes very itchy on humid climate. It's difficult to ride when your scratching.:lol: Recently, I landed on my butt while riding down a slope. It happened when I was wearing only a helmet and some knee pads. I hurt my butt and my left wrist was sore for 2 weeks. Now I always wear wrist guards and knee pads.

Probably a controversial answer....although it's strange no one has brought it up....but age is obviously an extremely important factor. 

If you're young and fit enough you should be able to run/stumble off most 'dismounts' and even if injured should be able to walk away with minimal scrapes and (ego)bruises.

if though, you are a more senior individual (and as we know there are many on the forum) I assume padding and helmet are an absolute necessity at all times, even if you're rocking a 12km/h airwheel

No, I don't wear a helmet. My EUC's maximum speed ist 14kph. I admit that I want to wear wrist guards because they are usefull in any case of falling. But I don't because I find it cooler to just stand on the thing like an ordinary pedestrian. Sensitive? No. 

3 minutes ago, Paulandjacquelyn said:

I went ahead and bought a "cooler" helmet.  I think i did not like the original one i bought because it was making my head look like an egg.

I just rode with new one and feels good. I'll be wearing from now on with wrisr guards.

Soft knee pads like the ones used for volleyball are quite comfortable and also looks cool. 

Great post. 

Anyway, I'm a slow rider of a Ninebot E nowadays. But started on an X8 and had a bad dismount/face plant by trying to zoom off at speed before u really understood these devices. Thing is I had my hands in my hoody pockets and managed to get one hand free to save my face by getting it out in front in time but the other only got as far as my ribs which I managed to break one with it in contact with the ground. Broken a few ribs karting over the years so easily done for me. 

Anyway this made me wise up and slow down and enjoy the feeling of coasting gentle. 

But, I've just ordered a NB P, which is going to be a powerful beast so I will be wearing gloves and a helmit when I ride that baby. 

Afterall at 45 bones don't heal as fast as the once did. 

20 hours ago, Planetpapi said:

I'm a slow rider. I always wear helmet. ALWAYS. Also some type of gloves. I am leaning to buy wrist guards now. I didn't know butt guards exists. I once landed on my butt. Tempting.

I use my motorcycle ridding pants... they have knee pads and a butt protector link

I also use my Ducati motorcycle jacket because of three reasons, first i had it and it was free, second it looks cooler than elbow pads, third it offers way more protection for my noob ridding skills..

I just got a helmet and wrist guards yesterday and haven't gotten a photo of that....

IMG_20151109_094801_01.jpeg.9b6b21b46cc9

I just got one of those 'Proviz' cycle helmets with the lights front and back for additional visibility - it's dark over here in the UK before 16:00 now so a lot of my riding will be lit!

Haven't tried it out 'in anger' yet but it feels good and hopefully will make me stand out.  Got some hi-viz running gloves too - could come in handy for those hand signals??

Roll on the summer months - by then I won't be needing any protection anyway ;)

1 hour ago, csmyers said:

I have G-forms for my elbows, which are very prone to getting road rash.

They're flexible and you can hardly tell you're wearing them, but the protection they offer is amazing!

http://g-form.com/en/

Quite expensive but very nice. Also because of its structure, it looks easy to wear under jeans and sweat I guess ?

Thanks for the link.

Almost every time I wear padded bicycle gloves to save my hands. As I own a Ninbot One I chose the “Originals”.

For my head most of the time I use a normal bicycle helmet. But as I would like to have something more cool stuff and as now starts the Winter season with more darkness, I’m thinking about one of the following items:

Livall Helmet

or

Lumos Helmet

image-644868-1-product.jpg

zqvuytwfgiywyqdzubma.jpg

photo-original.jpg

@TomK I use a bicycle helmet and fingerless gloves too but am thinking of changing to a skate helmet which is also sometimes called a "multi sports" helmet, because it looks nicer IMO. Here's an example of one:

http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Segment-Multi-Sport-Helmet-Matte/dp/B008Z9HYP2/

Some helmets cover your head but don't provide impact protection, this comment had some info about a rubber helmet that can't even be shipped to California:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R343PYC8QUHFJE/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?nodeID=706814011

I wear wrist guards all the time as have had two medium falls (forward) and lucky not to damage wrists.  I don't wear a helmet however I don't ride faster than I can run from standstill .... also I don't ride backwards so falling forwards is much less likely to end up smashing head (unless hit by car or something).  I think it depends on:

1. your riding style/speed

2. Capability and likelihood of falling off

3. Your regular routes - in terms of time on pavements, roads or off road.  I say this as if your commute requires you to ride on/over or alongside busy roads then I would wear a helmet. 

To be honest I am still unsure about the helmet thing and if I decide to learn to do tricks, ride backwards or use my NB1 in a more traffic congested area I will probably wear a helmet too.  

Bottom line is ride sensibly, don't take risks with traffic and if you feel at risk then you probably are - wear the protection you think you need

Good points Thunper.  I am wearing my helmet when driving on streets.  It's not really for falling but more in remote chance hit by car.  I think that drivers can misjudge our speed because their brain is not familiar with our EUC.   They see us coming but if they register us as walking....could pull out in front or hit us at intersection.   

I'm very careful but if they are not i want a helmet on.

I have worked a little bit in a head injury rehab clinic. You can get a head injury VERY easily and depending on the nature and severity of the injury it can change your entire life, permanently.. Broken bones heal easily. Broken head, not so much. It's a really really good idea to wear one, especially since anyone's unit can crap out at any time regardless of the brand.

Archived