How to ride an electric unicycle - understanding the dynamics

John Eucist

My god, learning to mount was just about the hardest thing I've done. Everything else including riding backwards and jumping, took just a few minutes, but mounting...that transition...I still cannot do gracefully nor easily. It's a lurch, then a desperate few seconds to gain enough speed to not fall. Kinda like an overladened Boeing B-29 taking off; everything is overheating and one's airspeed still isn't high enough.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

Do you pros always mount with the same foot, or do you switch it up all the time with black magic? 

For beginners , stand on 1 pedal , lean on the side of the euc  and find balance , then its easy to go up and drive away

1 hour ago, kasenutty said:

Do you pros always mount with the same foot

certainly not, even though I must admit that I still have a favorite even after +5000km.  

• Upvote 1

Do you pros always mount with the same foot, or do you switch it up all the time with black magic? 

normally everyone has its strong feet...but:

after getting REALLY experienced you can try and learn with the other foot also!

its just no beginner thing...first get comfortable in normal riding and mounting

• Upvote 2

I don't think I qualify as a 'pro', but 90% of the time I mount with my dominate foot (right foot on the pedal). But once I mastered the rolling mount I can start with either foot and I don't have to look at my feet.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I don't know if it helps, but this little tip clicked which helped me for launches.  I have my right foot on the pedal usually with the wheel at a slight lean to the left.  You can give a little shove off with the left foot, and keep pressure on the wheel with the inner calf of your right leg.  That increased pressure helps stabilize the wheel as you bring your other foot onboard.  Before I wasn't really leaning the wheel or placing pressure against the inner calf which made things more difficult.  Once on you need to give it a forward lean right away to get going.  Any instabilities can be countered by twisting right and left to stay on sort of like when you ride a bike slowly, you turn the front wheel right and left to prevent falling at crawl speeds.  I drew a diagram with my mouse with an arrow showing the pressure spot:

81b5070195.jpg

Exactly - what he said :D

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't think I qualify as a 'pro', but 90% of the time I mount with my dominate foot (right foot on the pedal). But once I mastered the rolling mount I can start with either foot and I don't have to look at my feet.

Of course you do, at least to me. Your videos were the first I saw! I even told my wife that the video guy who rides on the cliff trails told me good job. Hahah :)

I've been using my non dominant foot to hold and stepping on with the dominant. I think it's easier to step on accurately with the dominant foot. 

• Upvote 2

Of course you do, at least to me. Your videos were the first I saw! I even told my wife that the video guy who rides on the cliff trails told me good job. Hahah :)

I've been using my non dominant foot to hold and stepping on with the dominant. I think it's easier to step on accurately with the dominant foot. 

I ride on cliff trails? :shock2: What's wrong with me ;)

Per this thread, I think you are an Antipedes mounter

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't think I qualify as a 'pro'...

Just own it Marty.  Face it - you got a fanbase.... it's time to monetize your Youtube channel!  :w00t2:  People reference the great Marty Backe in their videos (looking at you @Duf and @Ombre).  Better change that username to "Pro Marty Backe" and add "Pro" onto your helmet after "Gotway."  Also, don't forget to get that merch out there!  End your videos with "Remember to Like and Subscribe!"

• Upvote 3