Looking Extreme - Solowheel Xtreme

MvM

Came across this site so I am posting it as perhaps many others haven't seen it yet:

http://solowheel.com/product/xtreme

Looks VERY good to me, 18" wheel and yet pretty compact and light.

Just wondering how it will be able to have 25 km range with only a 155Wh battery.

And at the same time, the suggested price looks very high to me, it will put off many potential buyers.

Would love to try it though.

Should be available in 1-2 months from now (March 26st).

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, that it looks awesome. Definitely the best design around. For high quality I would even be willing to pay the price. However, the 155 Wh battery is too small to make it interesting for me. A 18" wheel I would like to have some capacity for distance. But this Solowheel with a big battery (at least 350 Wh or more) would be amazing. :wub:

Let's wait and see which specs version 2 will have.  B)

I've seen on their website, that shipping is expected for mid of April.

I agree, that it looks awesome. Definitely the best design around. For high quality I would even be willing to pay the price. However, the 155 Wh battery is too small to make it interesting for me. A 18" wheel I would like to have some capacity for distance. But this Solowheel with a big battery (at least 350 Wh or more) would be amazing. :wub:

Let's wait and see which specs version 2 will have.  B)

I've seen on their website, that shipping is expected for mid of April.

Well, if I have to believe their claims about the regenerative ability, it might be that that would/could account for the long claimed range.

But since even the current Solowheel now has a 196 Wh battery, 155 Wh seems a bit low.

I could live with a range of 20-25 km range if that would be the ACTUAL range, but somehow, stated range is in reality always a lot longer than what you get in actual use.

Exactly my point! 25 km actual range would be ok (the more the better). But where I ride there are mountains and I am a heavy rider, so I don't believe there will be much actual range left. Recuperation optimisation is a great thing but physics is physics, there is not much magic with 155 Wh.  

With my GW14 and a 340wh battery and 3 bar of pressure in my tire, loaded with my 100 Kilogramm I can only go until 40% is left of the battery in light hilly areas, the 40% left over I can only use where it is flat and maybe for another 4 Kilometer only.

All in all I have arround 15 to 18 Kilometer total.

With a 155wh, I am done really quick like with my 88wh (I think it has 88wh) max. 5 Kilometer on flat surface

Well, if I have to believe their claims about the regenerative ability, it might be that that would/could account for the long claimed range.

But since even the current Solowheel now has a 196 Wh battery, 155 Wh seems a bit low.

I could live with a range of 20-25 km range if that would be the ACTUAL range, but somehow, stated range is in reality always a lot longer than what you get in actual use.

I don't know of a single euc without regenerative braking.  Something special about the extreme regenerative braking?

I don't know of a single euc without regenerative braking.  Something special about the extreme regenerative braking?

I know every EU has that.

However, looking at the website, Inventist claims their Energy Recovery system is 70% more effective than the original Solowheel.

So I am just wondering how they achieved that.

As far as I know, currently, Eu's use either Li-Ion or Li-Fe batteries, the latter being the most efficient but also the most expensive.

I have, unfortunately, very limited knowledge about current battery technology and I often wonder just how much difference their is in the real-life performance of the batteries used in all kinds of EU's.

This xtreme solowheel is awesome in design. I still can not figure out where they put the battery. I don't see any extra protruding case anywhere on the wheel. Is it possible that battery pack is broken down in pieces and placed in different places (not as wholesome)?

Or the battery is integrated into the motor itself some how?

Hi to all !

Xtreme will be shipped from mid April

We will have a public event by Italian Solowheel official reseller on May 9th and I hope to get my unit there if Vincent Bourdeau doesn't sell it first to me ;)

Irresistible !!! :D

Better have more options then 155 wh, it will not sell successful, besides I have not seen anyone post their range on any solo, yet, that would interesting...what I do like whole new everything, plus Bluetooth and two modes of ride, but don't ride with a long dress, that might be tangled bit embarrassing...

Better have more options then 155 wh, it will not sell successful, besides I have not seen anyone post their range on any solo, yet, that would interesting...

Yes I did,

With my 1500W Solowheel under good conditions I get 12 km to 14 km range on a good surface.

Mind you,that is when you just riding around, and not waste andy juice by standing still with the EU still turned on.

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news for Xtreme model waiters... :rolleyes:

Seems like that there will be another time shift before to start the deliveries. ...  :(

Now read on Inventist store the month of June as date of first USA pre ordered units delivery....  :(

So maybe we will have it later in Europe...

Another summer on my old wheel.... :unsure:

I know every EU has that.

However, looking at the website, Inventist claims their Energy Recovery system is 70% more effective than the original Solowheel.

So I am just wondering how they achieved that.

As I understand it the energy recovery was only about 20-25% efficient in the first place, or to put it more plainly you would have to go down 4 or 5 hills of equal size to climb up 1. If that is the case and you accept their 70% increase as fact then you have only increase the regenerating to 34-42.5% efficiency which although good will not make that much difference to range capabilities.

Too bad the official introduction has been delayed again.

However, that said, I suppose that is because Inventist is still refining the final specifications and performance.

Which again make me wonder in what ways this new EU is going to be different than all the competition.

The basic control system of the EU's use seems to have been fully developed with only minor tweaks and choice between brands.

So, hopefully, Inventist is coming out with something that will blow my socks off :)  :)  :)

Then, the only thing they need to do is lower their sales price significantly.

I don't believe many users will choose a Solowheel of US$ 2100 over a US$ 700 competitor if they are a first buyer.

agreed.  Considering that on paper those $700 competitors beat solowheel in every way.   While in real life, specs are not everything, and don't mean anything for ride quality, on paper is what people look at for their first wheel.  And until someone has ridden their first wheel, ride quality is an abstract concept to them.  However, the 2 specs that matter the most to the most people on here, even after you have your first wheel, seem to be range and speed.  And Solowheel's competitors beat them by quite a large margin there.  So people see 3X the price, for 1/3 the range...

After one year experience with a competitors EU, I look 1st in:

• motor power !! 1800watt will assure me and my weight to be taken up all the major hills and ramps ;)

• Unit weight to be sure to carry easily everywhere and without pain

• Quick and reactive response in order to get an almost real time control action and feeling to achieve fast or slow accelerations and soft or decided brakes and stops

18-21Km range, are just enough for my use ;)

20km/h is a right max speed ;) over... could be funny... but really dangerous.... ;)

For a guy like me who would like to use EUs mostly on flat sidewalks, 1800 W motor is overkill to me. I would rather have a 1000 w motor and more range. One draw back most Solowheels have, as a whole, is more motor power and less range. Even the classic Solowheel has more motor power and ridiculously low range. I'm not saying higher watts is not desirable, but there should be an option for the user to choose. I'm only talking about Solowheels though. Competitors understand this right and offers that option in their product line.

I think the Solowheel can be brought onto airplains because of the 155Wh battery. I believe US regulation says anything above 160Wh is a no no for flights (correct me if I'm wrong). Don't know the international rules. I can see how the Solowheel would be a tempting buy if you're a traveler.

I think the Solowheel can be brought onto airplains because of the 155Wh battery. I believe US regulation says anything above 160Wh is a no no for flights (correct me if I'm wrong). Don't know the international rules. I can see how the Solowheel would be a tempting buy if you're a traveler.

Yes, according to this the US limit is 160Wh:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/faa_airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

And this says the international limit is 160Wh as well:

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/lithium-battery-guidance-document-2015-en.pdf

If there were more wheels that had removable batteries you could possibly get a 320Wh wheel by having two swappable bays. Then you could, for example, check the wheel as luggage with one battery in place but take the other in your carry-on.

Yes, according to this the US limit is 160Wh:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/faa_airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

And this says the international limit is 160Wh as well:

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/lithium-battery-guidance-document-2015-en.pdf

If there were more wheels that had removable batteries you could possibly get a 320Wh wheel by having two swappable bays. Then you could, for example, check the wheel as luggage with one battery in place but take the other in your carry-on.

You are not supposed to check the battery in!!!

Only carry-on!

But as you wrote, if you have two batterie with a max. of 160wh you are allowed to carry-on both.

Battery may not be empty (new rules).

You are not supposed to check the battery in!!! Only carry-on!

I know the rules are pretty confusing, but you definitely can check in a device that has a 160Wh battery in it, the FAA document says "Except for spare (uninstalled) lithium metal and lithium-ion batteries, all the batteries allowed in carry-on baggage are also allowed in checked baggage."

The reason they don't allow spare batteries in checked luggage is they are worried the contacts may short against metal if they're moving around in the luggage and start a fire. If you had a 160Wh removable battery installed in a wheel you should be able to check it with the battery installed. Then you could carry on another 160Wh in your carry-on luggage. At least that's my understanding from the words there.

Mileage costs a lot....  :o

Buying 2 original SW battery packs is almost like in costs to buy 2 Air wheel X3 units ....  :D

After one year experience with a competitors EU, I look 1st in:

• motor power !! 1800watt will assure me and my weight to be taken up all the major hills and ramps ;)

• Unit weight to be sure to carry easily everywhere and without pain

• Quick and reactive response in order to get an almost real time control action and feeling to achieve fast or slow accelerations and soft or decided brakes and stops

18-21Km range, are just enough for my use ;)

20km/h is a right max speed ;) over... could be funny... but really dangerous.... ;)

For a guy like me who would like to use EUs mostly on flat sidewalks, 1800 W motor is overkill to me. I would rather have a 1000 w motor and more range. One draw back most Solowheels have, as a whole, is more motor power and less range. Even the classic Solowheel has more motor power and ridiculously low range. I'm not saying higher watts is not desirable, but there should be an option for the user to choose. I'm only talking about Solowheels though. Competitors understand this right and offers that option in their product line.

I think motor power is VERY important, much more than most people think.

To give an example: 

Today was the first day of this year at which the weather was nice enough to go out and ride my Solowheel through town without the need of a jacket or coat. 

So here I was on my 1500W Solowheel on a busy shopping streets with Really Lots of People. And I am zig-zagging in between those people, overtaking them, literally slowing down and accelerating all the time, while at the same time making tight turns, sometimes coming to a complete stop while waiting for an opening, then zooming forward again with speed to slip through a gap.

Got (as usual) lots of surprised looks and remarks and Wows! and for about 6 km.

I have ridden the Airwheel and even the older 1000Watt SW, but I think those models all lack the agility and finesse needed for such agility. I think the extra power act is simply necessary when you want (or need) extreme agility.

I hope the new SW Xtreme will be able to do that at least as well and maybe even better than  the old model :) 

Archived