Southern California

James C. Smith

Per this other thread with @dbaile0132 I'm trying to schedule a morning ride this coming Sunday (January 15th). The weather should be good, just need to decide where to ride. Griffith Park region has lots of dry areas to ride. If anyone else ( @jrkline @noisycarlos @Questor @nbxpq3 @Sketch @Roll Model@enigma35 @csmyers ) has an interest please chime in.

I'm down!! That's too far for me at the moment. I'll keep In touch when I'm in the LA area. But if anyone is down to ride in San Diego, I'm down.

44 minutes ago, noisycarlos said:

For now I have to say I can't make it, but I might be able to.

Are you gonna go regardless @Marty Backe?

Nobody has expressed an interest in riding, but I need to get some riding in while there's a break in the rain. So I will be riding this Sunday morning. Probably Griffith Park.

I'm looking forward to dry weather so I can get back to trail riding, but all the trails are just too muddy right now. Text me Saturday some time if you're interested in joining in.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Nobody has expressed an interest in riding, but I need to get some riding in while there's a break in the rain. So I will be riding this Sunday morning. Probably Griffith Park.

I'm looking forward to dry weather so I can get back to trail riding, but all the trails are just too muddy right now. Text me Saturday some time if you're interested in joining in.

It never rains in southern California, what has happened, with global warming?:barf:

1 hour ago, swvision said:

Are you still going to do a run at Griffith Park @Marty Backe? What time are you going to be there?

I am. I'll be meeting at the parking lot just north of the Greek Theater (https://goo.gl/maps/LkhR18ucVTT2) at ~9am. @noisycarlos might make it (but probably not). @jrkline may be there too. Looks to be a nice day for enjoying the mountains. Let me know if you're coming.

33 minutes ago, swvision said:

I'll see you there

I'll be in a blue Avalanche. If for some reason there are a lot of people (happens sometimes) with no parking, I'll still meet at the Google Map spot with my wheel.

7 hours ago, swvision said:

Thanks for a having me in your group @Marty Backe & @noisycarlos. Riding/wheeling in a group from a newcomer's perspective felt surreal. I'll be prepared next time with more battery power since i felt we could've gone wheelin' longer. I was also really low energy since I'd been sleep deprived for a couple of days.

It was great meeting you Victor. Glad you survived the return trip home :)  Actually, Carlos and I limped the final ~1/2 mile up the hill because the batteries were at ~15% under load, so it was probably good that we ended when we did.

We rode about 20 miles with an elevation gain (and loss) of ~3600 feet, and there were a lot of high speed runs. We'd probably get a bit more range if it was 20 degrees warmer too.

I'll post the video within a day or so - got some good video of all of us carving up the trails. I always enjoy the group rides. I think our next group ride will start in the Beverly Hills area, a place Carlos and I have ridden before. I want to do that with my Monster.

7 hours ago, Marvin Ong said:

How long are the rides usually? I dont think my 9bot E+ can go long distance, maybe 12-14miles max?

When we ride Griffith Park it's at least 15 miles. Keep in mind that you get some good regenerative charging on the hills. @noisycarlos does the ride on his 9bot. It's certainly good to have a wheel that can do 25+ miles for the group rides, but you can always do part of the ride which is still fun.

• 4 months later...

Hey Southern California! 

This Fat Unicyclist is going to be kicking around between Los Angeles and San Diego from July 8 through to July 12

I'm not able to bring a wheel with me, but would be keen for a ride with any of you if someone has a spare wheel available to loan (or even rent)?

Also, if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd love to be able to try an MSuper (v3) or Monster - I'm feeling that I NEED to upgrade soon, and one of these would be what I'm leaning toward. There isn't really anywhere in New Zealand that I can try (or even see) either of these though, so I'm hoping to make the most of this opportunity...

Archived