Southern California

James C. Smith

Could I take the MTen, put it in a bag and take it as a carry-on?  I'm thinking I shouldn't even ask that question.

Is it possible to check luggage (a different wheel) if the battery is small like 132Wh and in that case I can bring extra battery in a backpack.

I really don't want to "look for trouble" and there is a way to use a harness and carry the wheel on your back.  For sure that would be a carry-on as long as it's allowed.  It would be secured for transport and I won't even attempt riding it.

:ph34r:

I'm located in the Ontario area and would have no problem going to L.A. or Orange county areas.

Could I take the MTen, put it in a bag and take it as a carry-on? 

I would not advise it.I was in Shenzhen last week and while there I bought an M8 from the shop Smart Ride and loved riding it for the 2 days before I left.However,I had to leave it at the security desk at the Hong Kong Airport because they would not let me take it on board.I also had a Huaxni H1 with me which is a 14'' wheel that I had brought with me which they boxed up and put in checked baggage.(They had no idea of rules regarding battery travel because no lithium ion batteries are supposed to be placed in checked baggage per airline regs,only carry-on;yet they checked my H1 wheel complete with battery anyway but wouldn't allow me to have the M8 in my carry-on back pack.)So they told me I either leave the M8 or miss my flight.

This video shows the scenery from one of my favorite places to ride my euc in Orance County. There are plenty of other great places in OC with paved bike paths that are nice easy rides. But when I want a little off road challenge and a great view it is hard to beat Aliso and Wood Cayon Wilderness park. There is a paved trail that leads to the top of the ridge (not shown) and then this dirt path wanders along the ridge with canyons on either side.   It is beautiful and fun. 

To find this spot park near 65 Hollyleaf Aliso Viejo, CA   

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi Marvin,

Keep an eye on this section of the forum. We had another Griffith Park ride last weekend - three of us. I now have a list of seven active riders, and I'll add you to the next ride announcement - probably in a week

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2015 at 0:52 AM, jrkline said:

I'm located in the Ontario area and would have no problem going to L.A. or Orange county areas.

Could I take the MTen, put it in a bag and take it as a carry-on? 

I would not advise it.I was in Shenzhen last week and while there I bought an M8 from the shop Smart Ride and loved riding it for the 2 days before I left.However,I had to leave it at the security desk at the Hong Kong Airport because they would not let me take it on board.I also had a Huaxni H1 with me which is a 14'' wheel that I had brought with me which they boxed up and put in checked baggage.(They had no idea of rules regarding battery travel because no lithium ion batteries are supposed to be placed in checked baggage per airline regs,only carry-on;yet they checked my H1 wheel complete with battery anyway but wouldn't allow me to have the M8 in my carry-on back pack.)So they told me I either leave the M8 or miss my flight.

I realize the above post is more than a year old, but in case people don't realize it, in some instances lipos are allowed in checked luggage.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

(That's actually a good thing to keep for reference on a cell phone if there's any problems with the TSA at the airport here in the US.)

Allen

11 hours ago, abinder3 said:

I realize the above post is more than a year old, but in case people don't realize it, in some instances lipos are allowed in checked luggage.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

(That's actually a good thing to keep for reference on a cell phone if there's any problems with the TSA at the airport here in the US.)

I just had to leave another EUC at Hong Kong airport even though the batteries had been removed.I just returned from my third trip to Shenzhen on the 3rd of November.I bought a KS-16 from @John Eucist to use during my visit in China this year and a day before I left I went to meet @tinawong at the King Song factory and she removed the batteries and I paid her to ship the batteries back to me separately.I figured that I would have no problem taking a battery-less EUC with me on the plane home.Well,Air Canada did not agree.Their policy is no battery powered personal transportation devices period and whether or not batteries are present make no difference.(Believe me I pleaded my case rigorously to numerous and various "authorities" to no avail.) So my suggestion to people would be to avoid EUC's and airlines altogether.The only good part is that the airline was willing to store the wheel for a week so a friend of mine from Hong Kong can pick it up and ship it back to me.

2 hours ago, jrkline said:

I just had to leave another EUC at Hong Kong airport even though the batteries had been removed.I just returned from my third trip to Shenzhen on the 3rd of November.I bought a KS-16 from @John Eucist to use during my visit in China this year and a day before I left I went to meet @tinawong at the King Song factory and she removed the batteries and I paid her to ship the batteries back to me separately.I figured that I would have no problem taking a battery-less EUC with me on the plane home.Well,Air Canada did not agree.Their policy is no battery powered personal transportation devices period and whether or not batteries are present make no difference.(Believe me I pleaded my case rigorously to numerous and various "authorities" to no avail.) So my suggestion to people would be to avoid EUC's and airlines altogether.The only good part is that the airline was willing to store the wheel for a week so a friend of mine from Hong Kong can pick it up and ship it back to me.

5 hours ago, jrkline said:

Exactly!!! what happend to me in Thailand Bangkok on way home to germany with emirates!

KS Thailand removed batteries AND documented that per photograph and letter...did not help.

nearly 95% of all airlines have forbidden those battery powered transportation devices!

this is because of the Hoverboard fire and explosions in the media....

Bangkok airport has a storage facility where KS Thailand picked up the wheel some days later...Lesson learned :-(

7 hours ago, jrkline said:

Jeff, you really have bad luck traveling with these things. I couldn't believe you lost your new wheel, but was glad to hear at the end that it was saved. I so hate unthinking bureaucracies where common sense is not allowed to exist, which is why I don't like regulations. Welcome home.

• 1 month later...

Archived