Smart self balancing electric scooter hover board Fault diagnosis and Repair

jjchan

• 3 months later...

Hi

My niece bought a Surreal hover board but it broke down on the same day :-(. It's a XN2 I believe. The problem: just one blue led lights up. And only one wheel can be operated. I looked inside but could not see any disconnected cables. When I hold down the power button, the still working led flashes periodically one time. So it should be something with the C-connector or C-connection? There is a small led on the mainboard with flashes 9 times. So now I'm a little bit confused.

Any tips or suggestions? Would it help you if I upload a video? My niece appreciate it!

Hey Bassdaddy,

I have a hoverboard that functions on one side only as well.  The motherboard also flashes nine times in succession repeatedly.  Before the side quit working, it would jerk erratically.  We tried to calibrate it, and it quit moving.  The led stays on as long as power is applied.  I swapped the motion (co-board) boards out and the problem followed to the other side.  It appears that a motion board is bad on the side that does not operate.  I can't tell you if it is the same problem or not, just the similarities in the motherboard led flashing nine times.  Give it a try.

On January 18, 2016 at 10:25 AM, BassDaddy56 said:

Hi

My niece bought a Surreal hover board but it broke down on the same day :-(. It's a XN2 I believe. The problem: just one blue led lights up. And only one wheel can be operated. I looked inside but could not see any disconnected cables. When I hold down the power button, the still working led flashes periodically one time. So it should be something with the C-connector or C-connection? There is a small led on the mainboard with flashes 9 times. So now I'm a little bit confused.

Any tips or suggestions? Would it help you if I upload a video? My niece appreciate it!

Try swapping the co-boards to see if the problem follows.  Looks suspect to me.  Easily done.

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody

I have problem and need some help.  I bought my son a ancheer hoverboard and on the 3rd day he was using it at the park. He wiped out and the HB flw right in to the pond.  I want to say it was in about a foot and half of water for around a minute or two at the most.  

I don't think the warranty covers this so I'm trying to find out if there is any hope on fixing it.

I left it to dry for about a week in the sun.  I pulg it in and the wheels start to twitch back and forth.  There are no light on the board that turn on and the charger makes a low beeping sound and the charge indicator flashes red and green.

I have looked around and the best I have found is the it's the battery or the mother board or both....the op put out some really good I go in this thead so I figured I ask for some help.  Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...

Hey i just hited the wall with my hoverboard and now it makes small sound when i put it next to my ear like idont know exactly like wind with mechanics insideand when i shake it soud keeps shaking as well plz help ill reset it for now help plz

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I had issue with two flashes of Red LED too. But I FIXED it. :P Here is how I did that.

First of all, calibration procedure didn't work for me. The motors did not move at all. One front light didn't light up when I stepped on the hover board. So I swapped left and right gyro boards. The same front light did not light up(with swapped gyro board), so I figured out that the problem will be in main board. First I tracked data lines from gyro boards to main board, didn't find any loosen wire or connector or bad solder joint.

As next I checked also outputs from hall sensors located in hub motors (5pin connector) - when I rotated motors, there was changing signal on all of signal lines from motors. So far everything seemed working.

On the main board are also 3 pieces of dual operational amplifiers (eight pin chips marked C32X in my case). Their purpose is sensing over-current and voltage from hub motor coils. All outputs of op-amps were about 1,8 volt, but one of them was surprisingly high, about 2,9V. So I nailed the problem on circuit around op-amp - there was one protection diode soldered in wrong polarity and one resistor (2,2Kohm) damaged... The cause of failure was in my case connected also to water damage.

Now my hover board runs like new again :)

I attached also circuit on op-amp and stuff around it. Hopefully it will help you guys to fix your problems too :)

Hover_Board_sensing_circuit.png

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/3/2016 at 10:34 AM, MetricUSA said:

You forgot to add the weak joint in the middle can easily broken... No fixing that... 

That joint almost never breaks. Its the weak frame area around it that breaks. I've personally repaired at least 20 or 30 hoverboards that have broken in half and zero broke dead in the middle. There is a big steel tube that goes into the shaft there.

• Upvote 1

Before start playing with the electronic part of the hoverboard, one should know how to operate it and also some electrical knowledge. the internal circuit is easy to undertand, an one can repair it easily.

Segway coming up with new swagtron T5 hoverboard  whose specification and the price all is mention in the ETN's articles.

Its a 2017 Hoverboard with new features and much easier internal circuit which anyone can easily understand.

On 2/24/2017 at 0:51 PM, Andres Horacio Chapo said:

Hello Friend
I have several plates with 2 flash in the led of the plate.
Check the circuit and everything is ok,
Can you think of where the problem might be?
Thank you

Hello, I am not sure what you mean by "plates" but I assume that you mean hoverboards. You can check the hoverboard with 2 red flashing lights at our free guide.

• 1 month later...

Would you know how to override a 'protection safety feature' of the battery of my sons balance board? my sons balance board seems super sensitive to bumps and angles- it regularly cuts out, and then he needs to input the charge lead to restart the board.... it wont start back up on its own without putting the charge lead in. very frustrating because he cant go far with it as he ends up pulling it back to charge start it again. Sorry to ask but really want to sort this for him.  Would i need a new mother board or battery or would there be a more affordable fix you could suggest.-- from desperate mum.  i think i am asking jjchan this question please.

Edited by Jane Thomas
wanted to ask question to jjchan specifically

On 9.4.2017 at 5:49 PM, Jane Thomas said:

thank you for the information esaj-this makes sense.  How do i know what a good quality battery looks like for my sons hoverboard?

Looks alone won't tell much, unless you can open up the battery pack to check the cells to know the manufacturer and model (and possibly to check the BMS, but knowing whether it's "good or bad" would require knowledge of electronics). 1RadWerkstatt ( http://www.1radwerkstatt.de/ ) is an European (in Germany) company that builds custom packs with high quality cells and parts, but the price for a custom-pack may not make sense, depending on how expensive the hoverboard was in the first place. Plus I don't know if they build packs for hoverboards or just for electric unicycles (their pages list only 16S and 32S -packs for unicycles, but I think they'd build whatever kind of pack is needed on request, for a price of course).

I don't know of the differences between the hoverboards, as I'm only interested in the unicycles, so can't tell if another battery from a high-quality hoverboard would fit. Maybe someone else knows?

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I have 4 red flashes that show up during riding which indicates problem with main board side wheel.  I have checked the connections on main board side including the 5 wire connector to the wheel, (H) as stated above but does not seem to fix the problem. Any ideas other than replacing with another wheel? 

Thanks!