SoloWheel Xtreme, real world stats by users!

edwin_rm

Real world stats as tested by 140 lbs rider at 100 ft elevation, 55F degree weather with 12+ mph winds, and 45psi tire:

• Battery Range: 13 miles (21 km) in uneven road/sidewalk surfaces with constant incline changes. Non-stop riding.
  • Max Speed: 12 mph (on leveled 180 degrees surface)
  • Max climbing incline: ~60 degrees (tested in off-road hill)
  • Unexpected power cutoffs: NONE
  • Max charge time: 2 hrs

(now post yours)

I am a little bit dubious of these stats as an xtreme owner myself, i have gotten 10 miles and that was quite impressive. Is there anything to back this up?? Gps trace or tracking from a phone or fitness tracker?? Unless there where considerably more declines than inclines in which case yes i can see the regeneration helping. Even Inventists own stats say max o20KM on flat level ground. I am happy to be proved wrong.

Perhaps it's meant to be 60% which would equate to 30.96 degrees?  Or maybe a typo?

This seems the most likely. Why we measure inclines in two ways makes no sense. The steepest street in the world (pay no attention to the Kiwis who claim otherwise) has a grade of 37% or about 20 degrees. There are some bike ramps near my house that are about 30 degrees but they only go for about 9 feet per run before they flatten out. The Firewheel can climb the ramps, but I've always wondered whether it could handle that steep street for the entire run. Probably not.

I used an app called "speedview" to test distance.

I used the official solowheel xtreme bluetooth app (beta) to test speed. I can mantain a constant (no drop) 12 mph on flat terrain by having one foot positioned foward and the other positioned backward on the pedal (effectively eliminating the tiltback'ing). I can go a bit faster downhill.

As for the incline, it was an offroad hill but only about 10 feet high, at a 60 degree incline (measured by eye). The last bit at the top required rocking the euc a bit, but I never fell off and I made it over it. Back downhill from it was easy. 

I don't think solowheel can cutoff power by overleaning. No matter what, it always catches me. It is very safe! 

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this photo makes more sense of the angle. Anyhoo, at 95 kilos, i am veraging about 8 to 10 miles, which is enough for me save about 200 metres as i always seem to get the battery shakes that far from my door. The route into town is a very gentle slope down for 2 miles give or take 2 steep hills that are equally down and up for distance so you battery basically has very little use into town, its on the way back it gets sapped, the slight inclines are battery eaters.

maxresdefault.jpg

I probably miscalculated with my eyeball. It was probably just like 45 degrees. It was just a tiny 10 feet long incline. I imagine a longer incline would not be doable.

• 2 months later...
On 12/26/2015 at 4:42 AM, MetricUSA said:

Come, come, your smartphone can do the measurement if you have an app for it.... And my q3 can not do 30°, stopped dead...

My Q3 will not even do 14 degree with 110kg, it will do 14 degree with a 60kg rider, the advertised weight is 120kg and incline is 15 degree, motor 800 w, conclusion is thats specs for most unicycles can not be trusted we will have to create our own specifications for existing unicycles. For example most unicycles advertise inclines of 15 or 30 with maximum weights of 100kg or over and usually it is false for heavy riders, same for distance, with a 170wh battery I get 4 to 5 miles max, the advertised rate is about 4 times higher. I have done 7 degree inclines at 110kg weigh, and 17 degree for someone with a 60kg weight with the q3. The q3 is a good unicycle but you must know its limits, can not accelerate fast for risk of faceplant.

• 3 weeks later...

I've found the xtreme less good at hill climbing than the original solowheel.   Even modest hills require me to squeeze my knees together to get more torque.   I think this because of the 18" wheel.

I also doubt the 13 mile claim.  I've never measured but I'm pretty sure I've never gotten even 10 miles out of a charge.

I've also noticed that sustained hill climbing will cause the unit to think its out of battery, even if it not.   This was true on the original solowheel, but even more noticeable on the xtreme.

11 hours ago, Sam Clegg said:

I've also noticed that sustained hill climbing will cause the unit to think its out of battery, even if it not.   This was true on the original solowheel, but even more noticeable on the xtreme.

That's because the battery reading is just voltage of the battery. During high discharge (large current), the internal resistance of the cells will cause the voltage to "sag" (drop temporarily, until the high discharge stops), and that causes the wheel to think that the battery is out (as the voltage also drops when the charge gets lower). You can see the same effect on all wheels (check the battery display during climb or try accelerating uphill, you'll see the remaining battery dip during the high discharge).

18 hours ago, esaj said:

That's because the battery reading is just voltage of the battery. During high discharge (large current), the internal resistance of the cells will cause the voltage to "sag" (drop temporarily, until the high discharge stops), and that causes the wheel to think that the battery is out (as the voltage also drops when the charge gets lower). You can see the same effect on all wheels (check the battery display during climb or try accelerating uphill, you'll see the remaining battery dip during the high discharge).

I know this happens on all wheels.  I guess my point is that I'm surprised at how noticeable it is on the xtreme.  It didn't really effect me with the original solowheel, for example.  I mean I could notice it but it didn't tranlate into a real problem.  With the extreme, it will start the "shuddering" when I climb a long hill.. even if the battery is close to full.    Perhaps the combination of the bigger motor without and relative increase in battery size?

Maybe 18650 li-ions in 2p was a little optimistic for a 2kw motor? Depending on the cooling of the cells and mosfets the amount of current that reaches the motor might be quite different to the maximum theoretical rating. I haven't seen any pictures of what is inside a solowheel xtreme so it's hard to speculate. 

Archived