King Song 14" models

mark321

I'm considering my first electric unicycle and I have some questions.  First, does anyone know how much the different King Song 14" models weigh?

When I look at the current models at electricunicyclereviews I see
- KS-14C 500W, 174Wh 13.5kg
- KS-14C 500W, 340Wh 13.5kg
- KS-14C 500W, 520Wh 13.5kg
- KS-14C 800W, 680Wh 13.5kg
I think they're failing to present the weights accurately there.  They can't all be the same weight.

I understand the common advice is to get the biggest battery you can afford, and I like the idea of not being overly range-limited, but I also want the wheel to be light.  I think heavy and bulky transportation options aren't really that practical, and If I was really planning on going a long distance I'd use a bicycle.  So I'm having a little trouble deciding how best to balance those factors, especially withought knowing how much weight each bump in battery size amounts to.

Another minor question: how hard is it to disable or vastly reduce the volume of the warning beep.

My last question is much more general on the topic of electric unicycles.  What I really want is a practical and light PEV.  I'm interested in the unicycles which is the main focus around here, but not totally attached to the idea.  Does anybody have thoughts on the pros/cons of the unicycles like the king song vs various other types of electric scooters?  I know that's a super vague question, but I want to make sure I'm not skipping over other good options.

The weight difference is only 2or3 kilos and isn't really noticable when you are riding and the advantage of the big batteries is that you rarely if ever need to carry them. If it worries you you can easily fit a trolley.

On the KS the beeper is on a simple connector just behind the side panel on the switch side and can easily be unplugged and plugged back in as and when you like. It's held onto the control board by one self tapping screw and can be removed altogether if you like.

Thanks, that's good information. It sounds like the slight extra weight is probably worth it for a significant bump in battery capacity then.  As much as I like lightness, going from around 25 pounds to around 30 pounds is probably not a big deal.

And I'm glad the warning beep is separate from the bluetooth speakers and easily unplugged if needed.  I keep hearing they might be adding software control over some of the beeping, but I like having the option of physically modifying it in case they don't make it software-tunable.

The problem with all the wheels is that once you've bought they always bring out the next model with extra features that you'd really like but it's not possible to upgrade to without a complete wheel change.

That's the nature of fast developing systems in their early days.

• 2 months later...
On Mon Sep 21 2015 13:28:27 GMT-0700, Gimlet said:

The problem with all the wheels is that once you've bought they always bring out the next model with extra features that you'd really like but it's not possible to upgrade to without a complete wheel change.

That's the nature of fast developing systems in their early days.

I remember people change PCs every year in the early days.  One day EUs will just become common place.

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, alfu said:

What is the difference between the KS 14B and 14C? I notice eWheels no longer carries the 14C.

14B has weaker motor and smaller battery. However, the battery is a cartridge so you can carry a spare and swap during a long ride.

Archived