Why am I calling electric unicycle "euc" for short?

John Eucist

• 2 weeks later...

While your reasoning and english are impeccable, might I throw in my pennyworth.

I call them cogies (singular cogy) as I was riding mine through the palace gardens in Brighton I past some Japanese language students.  A girl in the group pointed at the machine and said (I think) what is that? (She said it in Japanese and I don't speak Japanese so badly they might have been korean for all I know), and he said what sounded to me like, 'its a cogy', which could for all I know be Japanese for I don't know, or I have one, or anything really.

However I noticed recently the French are calling them gyroroue (literal trans. Gyro wheel, or gyrowheel), now this is still too much of a mouthful for the British, which leads to possible portmanteau and term familar, how about gywhee ( I like the whee bit, like wha hay whee of we go etc), or gwhee, or gywe (pronounced  guy we, or goo we)

PS. the electric wheelbarrow thing, this at least provides a legality, as the gywhee is (or rather may technically be claimed to be) an electric wheelbarrow, (it only has one wheel and is clearly designed to take a payload), it can be classified under UK law as a pedestrian controlled vehicle for which no vehicle licence is required, a k on your driving license (and therefore a driving license is required) to operate a pedestrian controlled vehicle on the highyways and by-way (local laws apply).

EW should perhaps be dismissed not for the wheelbarrow thing, but that it is the sound kids make when they smell something nasty (as in pe ew, what a stink, etc) 

I like the gyro wheel name, but it is a mouth full. When someone asks me "What is that?". Or " what do you call that?". I don't like calling it an electric unicycle just because it sounds so dorky when you call it that. Problem is an online search won't help them any if I call it something else. :(

As for forum abbreviations, I agree on euc as an abbreviation. EU makes me think "European Union".

• 4 months later...

To all the folks who yell out at me: "What is that?" I have taken to saying it is an electric unicycle.  If I only have a couple of seconds to give them some information (as I ride by), this seems to give them a lot of info in a small verbal package.  They understand enough.  

• Upvote 1

EUC makes a great abbreviation here, but out in the wild I use the full "electric unicycle".  Despite the dorkiness implied by "unicycle", the "electric" seems to counterbalance that in people's minds.  And once I've given them a 60 second demo I don't think anyone thinks negatively about it.  "Like a Segway, but with only one wheel." gets the message across quick also.

Edited by EDL
  • Upvote 1

I wonder whether "gyrocycle" has any implied meaning for native English speakers? 

I think most Americans would think of the Greek sandwich when they hear "gyro".  Otherwise in my mind a gyro is a similar concept to the EUC, but it spins horizontal not vertical.  I know it can spin vertical, but that's not the image that jumps to mind.  Although gyrocycle is a much cooler word.

TEDCO2-450.thumb.jpg.9ad55f7493e95cbb7e1

• Upvote 2

in Danish, EUC makes no sense, (and to me it is also close to the sound yak)

electrical wheelbarrow,  it makes no sence to me, but I love the word, I wouldn't even know how to translate it :)

electrical unicycle translated to totally unsexy: 'eletrisk ethjulet cykel'

gyro-cycle translates to gyro-cykel, sound way more sexy.

Edited by cg
added wheelbarrow

How about StEUc for Stand-up Electric Unicycle (as opposed to the sit-down varieties such as the SBU or RYNO)?  It would be pronounced "stuke" which rhymes with "Luke".  Or maybe even drop the last "c" for StEU and pronounce it as "stew"?

Edited by RichieV
StEU afterthought
  • Upvote 1

IMO, eWheel is the easiest, most concise & best descriptive name, this is in no way related to the fact that I own the ewheels.com domain... :)

:D Actually, I also like "eWheel" best. Sounds also slick, eco-friendly, and modern -- a bit like a 'laptop-wheel' or something :wacko: let's hope Apple comes out with an "iWheel" soon and shows some slick design with magic Tesla batteries B)

• Upvote 1

Have had people comment a few times that "electric uni / electric unicycle" is such a geeky name for such a cool thing.

Have changed to calling them 1Wheelers , which so far has not caused the negative looks associated with the other names. Seems to work for Aussie's 

Ugh.  I hate "minisegway".  It seems to diminish the worth of these devices as their own thing.  Related to the segway?  Sure.  But "minisegway" takes away their unique qualities and very different riding experience and ties what in my opinion is an interesting and exciting device (the EUC) to what is semi-considered a silly albeit technologically innovative device (the segway).  Minisegway makes me think of just a small 2 wheel segway, not a single wheel device.

Someone needs to get on reddit and set them straight.

Ugh.  I hate "minisegway".  It seems to diminish the worth of these devices as their own thing.  Related to the segway?  Sure.  But "minisegway" takes away their unique qualities and very different riding experience and ties what in my opinion is an interesting and exciting device (the EUC) to what is semi-considered a silly albeit technologically innovative device (the segway).  Minisegway makes me think of just a small 2 wheel segway, not a single wheel device.

Someone needs to get on reddit and set them straight.

Well I only mentioned the subreddit because John had asked specifically about those small 2 wheel segways:

Is there a standard name for the hovertrax / chic-smart clones yet?

I agree that the name "minisegway" should not be applied to all personal transportation devices, especially not EUCs.  There is a subreddit called /r/electricunicycle but it's not very active.

• John Eucist unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

I call them glidewheels for a few reasons: 

1. The term euc sounds clinical. It's like calling a skateboard a "four wheel balance plank" - not quite the same resonance.

2. When riding, it actually feels like you are gliding - the term gives you a sense of what it is like to ride it.

3. In transparency I do own the glidewheel.org domain. Haven't done anything with it yet though. Was thinking of creating a review site, but there are more and more of those already. Haha.

Is there a standard name for the hovertrax / chic-smart clones yet?

I started calling them TWEBS (Two Wheel Electric Balancing Skateboard) just because there seemed to be no general agreement on a good, short name for these mini-Segway hoverboard self-balancing scooter thingies.  It sort of caught on in the thread I created on Redflagdeals, but I don't know if anyone else uses the term.  Doing a Google search, the term TWEBS also refers to some defunct aviation acronym.  People always ask me what it is that I'm riding, and I always have to do a double take not to say "It's a TWEBS," but instead I go for the easy self-balancing scooter name or mini-Segway.  Those are easier to remember and search for I think for most folks.

Electric gyro_wheel. Just sounds cool to me. Which sounds better- asking a good looking woman if she wants to learn how to ride my EUC, or if she wants to learn how to ride my electric gyro_wheel? *Half kidding/half not. :-)

Edited by BobbyDee
  • Upvote 1

I can't help but ask... John, is your last name really EUCist? Because if so, I'd have to call you biased ;)

Naming wise:

1. 'EUC' works for stuff like legal definitions, but I can't see it becoming common in popular culture.
  2. If there were a brand that became hugely dominant and gained significant awareness in the general public, I would use that (sort of like 'kleenex').
  3. Otherwise, any more general name needs to have either 'wheel', 'unicycle' or 'segway' in it otherwise it will have nothing to do with the product. I prefer 'wheel' because 'unicycle' sounds dorky.
  4. Some possible 'wheel' names, branded or not: MonoWheel, SoloWheel, AirWheel, GlideWheel, eWheel

Personally I think AirWheel is the best combination of descriptive and non-dorky, but I don't want to support the brand - so as runner up I'd prefer eWheel or glidewheel. A quick google search shows that 'eWheel' is already being used for electric unicycles (there's actually another community ewheels.org), whereas 'glidewheel' turns up some electronic components, so in my opinion eWheel is the clear winner.

• Upvote 1

I can't help but ask... John, is your last name really EUCist? Because if so, I'd have to call you biased ;)

Naming wise:

1. 'EUC' works for stuff like legal definitions, but I can't see it becoming common in popular culture.
  2. If there were a brand that became hugely dominant and gained significant awareness in the general public, I would use that (sort of like 'kleenex').
  3. Otherwise, any more general name needs to have either 'wheel', 'unicycle' or 'segway' in it otherwise it will have nothing to do with the product. I prefer 'wheel' because 'unicycle' sounds dorky.
  4. Some possible 'wheel' names, branded or not: MonoWheel, SoloWheel, AirWheel, GlideWheel, eWheel

Personally I think AirWheel is the best combination of descriptive and non-dorky, but I don't want to support the brand - so as runner up I'd prefer eWheel or glidewheel. A quick google search shows that 'eWheel' is already being used for electric unicycles (there's actually another community ewheels.org), whereas 'glidewheel' turns up some electronic components, so in my opinion eWheel is the clear winner.

Of course eucist isn't my last name.  I prefer using a term that is not associated with a brand.  ewheel works for me if and when people stop calling it eucs.  Currently it's the main term used in all the electric unicycle Facebook groups.  I just hope no brand comes out being called "ewheel".

• Upvote 2

Of course eucist isn't my last name.  I prefer using a term that is not associated with a brand.  ewheel works for me if and when people stop calling it eucs.  Currently it's the main term used in all the electric unicycle Facebook groups.  I just hope no brand comes out being called "ewheel".

I think I saw a generic called E-Wheel sometime in the spring already.

• Upvote 1