When and where to ride a Mten?

Noam

Today, I popped by a shop and saw the Mten. It really is a cool looking ride and as light as a feather. Encouraged by my 500+ km on my Airwheel and Ninebot, I thought I give it a try and test-drove it. Gosh, it took me bloody two minutes just to stand on this baby. And still I only could manage it clingging onto boxes and shelves around me. Finally, I was able to move around the warehouse a couple of times and felt slitghly in control.

However, I would like to know the main purpose on riding this euc? To me, it does not look like the wheel of choice for any long distance trips or on rough surfaces. Am I wrong? Could any of you lads having one of those share with me the main area of usage?

I am perfectly sure its great fun, but I would not know when and where to ride it.

Today, I popped by a shop and saw the Mten. It really is a cool looking ride and as light as a feather. Encouraged by my 500+ km on my Airwheel and Ninebot, I thought I give it a try and test-drove it. Gosh, it took me bloody two minutes just to stand on this baby. And still I only could manage it clingging onto boxes and shelves around me. Finally, I was able to move around the warehouse a couple of times and felt slitghly in control.

However, I would like to know the main purpose on riding this euc? To me, it does not look like the wheel of choice for any long distance trips or on rough surfaces. Am I wrong? Could any of you lads having one of those share with me the main area of usage?

I am perfectly sure its great fun, but I would not know when and where to ride it.

For me it's mainly used as a training tool.  With a smaller wheel diameter you can ride at low speeds and still balance (which makes it more safe for new learners).  With larger wheels you have to reach a certain speed before you can balance.  Hence you can even train inside your apartment (or house) and in very tight spaces.  I have been training many people with success using the mten (1 and 2) indoors.  Once they are proficient with the mten they can then ride 14 and 16 inch wheels easily as they would have already learned the balancing dynamics by then.  I would not use it outdoors for commute.  Larger diameter wheels handle potholes better and can generally go faster.  However, it can still be useful if you plan to ride in crowded areas and when you have to go really slowly.

I am perfectly aware that most people will not agree with me regarding training people on the 10 inch first.  However, I strongly believe, contrary to popular opinion, it's best for learning how to ride.  Just make sure to pad up the sides with thick pads first for the new learners.  For myself I have used it to train myself idling and doing backwards figure eights.

• Upvote 1

Thanks @John Eucist! I get your point. So what you are saying is, if one can ride a 14, 16 or 18" euc there is no reason to buy a mten anymore. Except of course to help ones family or friends learning to ride. That is good news for swmbo, alas, not so good for me.?

Thanks @John Eucist! I get your point. So what you are saying is, if one can ride a 14, 16 or 18" euc there is no reason to buy a mten anymore. Except of course to help ones family or friends learning to ride. That is good news for swmbo, alas, not so good for me.?

Hi @Noam, I learned how to get from A to B on a NB1 and my Msuper, but looking at the real EUC artists, there's plenty of room to grow :rolleyes:. So I decided to get one of those Mten playmobiles to learn an have fun doing it. Once I have it, I'll report, whether that idea actually works for me.

Living in Germany, there's another factor, which unfortunately is not quite as convincing on your end: WINTER :o:o:o. Looking at the prospect of me training indoors with my Msuper sold the missus instantly on the Mten :D

• Upvote 3

Well mten is lots of fun even if you can ride normal diameter wheels and actually BETTER for places that are crowded and where you don't want to go that fast.

• Upvote 1

Hi @Daan, Jane Mo (Gotway) posted this vid a while ago:

And - I can't wait - my own Mten arrived at my home in Regensburg (Germany) today and will be with me in Berlin in a couple of days:

mten.thumb.JPG.0e47a36aa210532417a69fe59

I have a fairly accurate baggage scale here and can answer your question regarding the weight then.

• Upvote 1

Someone had posted the weight of the MTen parts in the Electric Unicycle Users Wiki, but don't know if it's different model than the newer ones:

Weight Breakdown for Gotway Mten2 (380Wh)

PartWeight (grams)Percentage
Stator211921.4%
Hub (+ Magnets and Tire)277828.0%
Pedal Hangers8118.2%
Pedals116811.8%
Battery161016.2%
Case + Control Board9509.6%
Rims + Bolts4864.9%
Total9922

http://electricunicycle.wikia.com/wiki/MtenBreakdown

Good choice! I'll try to bring one of mine next time I'm in Berlin. We're there most years. Perhaps we can meet up.

Perhaps?? Don't you dare coming here without saying anything! I owe you at least a Masskrug of beer for your encouragement to stay calm with the sometimes a bit trying correspondence with GW :D-_-:D

Someone had posted the weight of the MTen parts in the Electric Unicycle Users Wiki, but don't know if it's different model than the newer ones:

Weight Breakdown for Gotway Mten2 (380Wh)

PartWeight (grams)Percentage
Stator211921.4%
Hub (+ Magnets and Tire)277828.0%
Pedal Hangers8118.2%
Pedals116811.8%
Battery161016.2%
Case + Control Board9509.6%
Rims + Bolts4864.9%
Total9922

http://electricunicycle.wikia.com/wiki/MtenBreakdown

Is it OK, if I just put mine (newest model:wub:) on a scale without shredding it to bits & pieces???

Edited by Tilmann
  • Upvote 1

Hi @Daan, Jane Mo (Gotway) posted this vid a while ago:

And - I can't wait - my own Mten arrived at my home in Regensburg (Germany) today and will be with me in Berlin in a couple of days:

mten.thumb.JPG.0e47a36aa210532417a69fe59

I have a fairly accurate baggage scale here and can answer your question regarding the weight then.

The infamous disintegrating styrofoam mten2 packaging.

• Upvote 1

Thanks to all of you for the quality feedback. I have read a little bit more about the Mten in the meantime and will most likely go back to the shop and buy one. Afterall our boy will turn 5 soon and it would be a good euc for him to start wheeling too. At the moment he is standing in front of his mother on the e-Scooter when we are going for a trip.

@Tilmann, what do you mean Winter is not a convincing argument here? Also we in our little City-State have to cope with the harsh reality of low temperatures during wintertime. As a matter of fact, in December and January the temperatur falls quite often below 30 degree C !!!   Of course with shocking consequences, such as being forced to wear long pants for instance. ?

Thanks again for your input! I will share a brief review here once I have some mileage on my euc to be.

• Upvote 1

@Tilmann, what do you mean Winter is not a convincing argument here? Also we in our little City-State have to cope with the harsh reality of low temperatures during wintertime. As a matter of fact, in December and January the temperatur falls quite often below 30 degree C !!!   Of course with shocking consequences, such as being forced to wear long pants for instance. ?

Yeah right, you poor thing! I suffered through the horrible winters of 2006 in Penang and 2011 in Singapore myself. I still go into raptures thinking about it... :wub:

Enjoy your new toy and don't forget, it's your son's :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

@John Eucist: Can you weigh the mten on your fancy new scale? It could be a nice wheel for my kids if it is indeed easy to learn on B)

Mten_weight.thumb.jpg.97a615626f0cf9ff0e

@Daan: Here'ya go: Newest Mten comes in at 9.9 kg plus a few grams for padding (as it is downright unusable without). So, converted to imperialistic, make that a child compatible 22 lbs :rolleyes: 

@Daan: Here'ya go: Newest Mten comes in at 9.9 kg plus a few grams for padding (as it is downright unusable without). So, converted to imperialistic, make that a child compatible 22 lbs :rolleyes: 

Thanks! but ouch -- that is quite heavy... I think the new IPS Zero 130Wh is supposed to be 8.6kg... I'll wait a bit to see some reviews about the IPS Zero but currently it looks like the most attractive option for me B)

Thanks! but ouch -- that is quite heavy... I think the new IPS Zero 130Wh is supposed to be 8.6kg... I'll wait a bit to see some reviews about the IPS Zero but currently it looks like the most attractive option for me B)

Yo can hardly compare the weight of a wheel that has a 340Wh battery to one that only has 130Wh! It's not really fair! :)